Rough, dry feet can be a frustrating source of insecurity, especially when lotions don’t seem to do much more than a temporary fix.
If you’re tired of trying and retrying methods that don’t seem to give you the smooth, soft feet you want, you can always try the simple at-home remedy of using saran wrap before bed.
Before you shake your head and return to your search, here is all you need to know about it!
How it Works
If you’ve ever had a luxurious, fancier pedicure at a spa or salon, you may have experienced having the pedicurists layer on some moisturizer or wax on the soles of your feet and then covering them in plastic.
This procedure is known as occlusion therapy by dermatologists, and even though it may seem a little weird or crazy, it really does work by helping moisturizers really have a chance to sink deep into the skin and do their job.
This is because not only is saran wrap a non-permeable barrier that will keep the moisturizer from rubbing off, evaporating or otherwise escaping before it can fully work, but it is also different from materials like gauze or fabric in that it won’t absorb the moisturizer itself.
These two qualities allow the treatment to really sink into your skin since it has nowhere else to go, and by leaving it overnight, you are ensuring that it really has as much time as it could need (even for particularly tough cases of dry, cracked skin).
The best part is that since it is so effective, you won’t have to do it every single night if it doesn’t end up being something you’d want to do more than every few weeks.
What You Need
The best part about this technique is that it can be done in the comfort of your own home with supplies you likely already have!
- Moisturizer: Good news! You don’t have to toss that moisturizer after all. It could be foot cream, coconut oil, petroleum jelly like vaseline, paraffin wax, vicks rub or any other lotion that you have in your drawer. If you aren’t sure what type to use, do some research on the differences to see which best fits your personal needs and preferences.
- Plastic/saran wrap: Whether you already have some wrap in your kitchen cabinet or need to pick some up at the store, this is a pretty inexpensive tool to acquire! Plus, it can be repurposed for any range of other household needs.
- Large socks: These will go over everything else, so they shouldn’t be tight ankle socks that will make you too uncomfortable. Make sure they’ll cover everything and have ample room. For added fun, pick out a pattern or design that you enjoy!
- Towel: This is really just to dry off your feet after soaking and to protect the bed in case of any leak or mess. It’s likely that it won’t be needed, but it’s always good to be safe!
The best part about the materials that you will use for this is that even if you have to stop by the store to pick something up, you will be set for a pretty long while after. Very little saran wrap and moisturizer are needed to make a big difference, and the socks and towels will, of course, be reusable for either this or other household needs!
Now that you’ve got all of the supplies ready, you’re good to go for your exciting, new at-home spa treatment!
Here are the easy steps:
- Soak feet in warm water: Much like with cleansing your face or skin, this will help to open up your pores and make your feet ready to receive the active ingredients and moisture in your lotion.
- Towel dry: This is an important step so that the moisturizer isn’t inhibited by damp skin and so that you don’t feel needlessly uncomfortable throughout the night.
- Apply moisturizer: As mentioned earlier, this can be really any lotion or similar product that you feel comfortable. You can even combine products by using a standard, high-quality moisturizer to start and then using a coat of coconut oil or paraffin wax for the treatment itself.
- Wrap feet in plastic wrap: This should be done snuggly, but not so tight that you inhibit proper circulation or feel any discomfort. Just make sure that it is secure to avoid any leaking!
- Put socks over: This helps to provide an added barrier between the lotion and your bedsheets. Plus, it makes it much more comfortable to sleep than rubbing plastic wrap against yourself, a partner or your sheets!
- Sleep: Don’t forget to keep the towel under your feet in case of a mess! If you were pretty conscious with the last two steps, there shouldn’t be an issue, but it’s always better to be safe so that you can avoid unnecessary stress or frustration.
- Unwrap in the morning for your soft new feet!
There really isn’t anything more complicated to it! You can repeat whenever you feel your feet getting dry, rough or cracked again to replenish that smooth, soft feel.
If you have particularly rough, calloused or cracked feet, this may take a few nights in a row to really bring about the results that you are looking for. After you do achieve them, though, it will last for a while after and be much easier to maintain than before!
If you want to make it a more relaxing preparation process, you could even add some more personal touches by putting together a playlist, lighting some candles and doing other self-care treatments (face masks, hair treatments, etc.) to really make an evening out of it. Here are other tips to have a night of good sleep.
Otherwise, as you can see, you can get through the steps for this pretty quickly and really don’t need to worry about scheduling stress at all!
One of the best parts about natural remedies (especially DIY ones) is that there are plenty of benefits which much less risk from things like chemicals or complicated procedures.
- Deep moisturizing of your feet overnight: The best part about this is that it doesn’t require any extra time or effort on your part. Since it works while you’re sleeping, you get to a very in-depth treatment without having to adjust your schedule for it.
- Smooths cracked heels: Having cracked heels can be both frustrating and painful. Even when we do use high-quality moisturizer, it often doesn’t get a chance to really sit and put in work since we have busy schedules to keep up with.
- Works quickly: In addition to taking no extra time out of your schedule, this is a relatively quick and effective treatment. It doesn’t take too long to prep for it and only requires the night to start working.
- Inexpensive: It’s pretty hard to get much cheaper than a treatment consisting of moisturizer and saran wrap. Many spa treatments can rack up a pretty hefty bill, but this can be done with supplies you likely already have.
- No appointments or outside parties needed: Possibly the best part of this is that if it is all you need for your skin concerns, you won’t need to go out of your way to schedule and make it to appointments that can be both costly and inconvenient.
It’s really easy to give yourself a spa treatment at home, and it has plenty of great benefits (especially in terms of cost and accessibility).
While taking care of your feet and making sure they are clean, groomed and well-looked after, you also want to prioritize the medical health first.
If your feet are cracked due to a fungal infection, make sure you treat that first! You don’t want it to get irritated and worsen.
Symptoms of infection that may suggest you need more medical attention before doing anything can include:
- Red or possibly oozing blisters
- Changes in skin color
- Uncharacteristic warmth
- Strange smells (not typical foot smells)
- Pus or other fluid drainages
- Noticeable swelling
If you are concerned about the condition of the cracks in your feet, it may be in your best interest to contact a dermatologist before trying any treatments to make sure it isn’t something that needs more aggressive and intense treatment or care.
That said, most people are fine to do at-home treatments for their skin. If you are certain that you don’t have any serious infections or similar concerns, you shouldn’t have anything to worry about!
Getting spa-quality skin can get expensive. If you know the right at-home treatments, it can be really easy, affordable and even fun!
Wrapping your feet in saran wrap overnight is one of the great, easy and inexpensive ways you can get smooth, soft skin without hassle or expense. Plus, you get to factor it into your own schedule as a part of your standard self-care techniques.
For more great nighttime beauty tips to complete your spa experience, make sure to look through our other posts and keep up with us!