The very thought of going camping is fun and thrilling. Building a roaring campfire and grilling some meat while watching the stars is the sky is even more fun. But wait until it’s time to rest and enjoy a good night’s sleep! Some campers have to go through the pain of sleeping on the ground; others carry sleeping bags that don’t seem practice; while the smart ones buy best air mattresses for camping.
If your priority is comfort and support, you need an air mattress/inflatable mattress the next time you go camping. Don’t worry if you don’t know where to start – just follow through our selected options and the few useful tips we have included to make your purchase process smooth.
Top 12 Air Mattresses For Camping Of 2020 Reviewed
1. Intex Classic Downy Airbed Set With 2 PillowsBest Affordable Air Mattress For Camping
A good mattress is not necessarily one that gives you a comfortable rest. Sleeping on a mattress without pillows can be very hard and risky. The Intex Classic Downy Airbed Set comes with two pillows to provide for maximum comfort. It has a flocked top which is waterproof and has easy-to-clean wave beams. This ensures that the mattress remains dry and free of dirt.
The Intex Classic Downy Airbed Set comes with a two-in-one valve. Its opening is extra-wide for easy inflation and deflation. It is a standard queen size, which works well with the accompanying sheets. When going out for camping, all you need to do is fold the mattress compactly and pack it. The mattress can carry a whopping 600 pounds and measures 60 x 8.75 x 80 in dimension.
- Comes with two inflatable pillows for easy inflation
- Can support up to 600 pounds
- The surface is waterproof and the beams easy-to-clean
- It forms slats or grooves on the surface when inflated
- The pillows are too hard and do not seem to provide any comfort
- Stretches after the first use to the extent of looking deflated
2. Coleman SupportRest Double High AirbedBest High-End Air Mattress
The best air mattresses for camping are those with very high weight limits. In respect to this, the Coleman SupportRest Double Airbed can be categorized as one of the top options for avid campers. It can support up to 600 pounds and has a leak-free airtight system, making it a great option for couples looking to push their camping limits.
This mattress also provides a stable sleeping surface, given the Support Lock system. The mattress is made with a coil system for a comfortable sleep all night long. For easier in and out of bed transition, the mattress is made with a double-high height. It comes with a velvety sleeping surface for extra comfort and can be used on standard queen-size bed sheets.
- The velvety sleeping surface makes for an extra comfortable night
- Has a leak-free, dual-sealed, lock valve
- To store it, all you need is to fold, roll, and store
- The pump is sold separately
- The package does not contain inflatable pillows
- Has a higher middle which makes it easy to slide when sleeping
3. SoundAsleep Dream Series Air Mattress
One thing you should never wish for is sleeping on a mattress that slips and slides under you. If you are on damp ground, you might just find yourself outside your tent. Luckily, the SoundAsleep Dream Series Air Mattress has a SureGrip bottom. It contains a cool 40 air coils for extra support and durability.
But the great features don’t stop there! The mattress has a one-click internal pump for easy, quick inflation and deflation. You only need 4 minutes to get it fully inflated. Once it’s done, you won’t need to inflate again for days. When fully inflated, it measures 78 x 58 x 19 inches, which is large enough to fit two people. Don’t worry if you want different sizes – you can choose between the bigger mattress and a small-sized one.
- SureGrip technology ensures that the mattress never slips nor slides
- Comes with a separate pump for quick inflation
- Made of extra durable PVC material
- It forms dimples which are rather uncomfortable
- Some online reviewers have reported that the mattress deflates, at times
- Does not come with inflatable pillows
4. Active Era Luxury Queen Size Air MattressBest Queen Size Air Mattress
It’s time to turn your next camping trip into a glamping adventure. Who says you cannot have luxury while you enjoy nature? So, if you want to go down this road. You might want to ditch your old sleeping bad and invest in Active Era Luxury Air Mattress. You will not only sleep better but also have amazing whole-body support that is the same standard as your regular bed. Active Era Luxury Air Mattress is ergonomically designed to fit all body types. Besides, it’s queen size, which means you and your significant other can fit on it perfectly. On top of that, your children will not have any trouble getting on and off.
This fantastic air mattress features a built-in raised pillow that provides support and comfort like no other. You will not have to worry about taking this air mattress outside as it’s extra thick, puncture-resistant as well as waterproof. It comes with an integrated AC pump that is so easy to use. It deflates within a few seconds. And on top of that, it comes with a travel bag for portability.
- Very durable
- Very easy to inflate and deflate
- It’s very comfortable
- Not ideal for pets with claws
- Not specific on the amount of voltage it can support
- A bit pricey
5. EZ INFLATE Upgraded Twin Air Mattress with Built-In PumpBest Air Mattress With Built-in Pump
When buying an air mattress for camping; one of the things to look for is its outer material. The EZ Inflate Twin Air Mattress is made of durable, puncture-resistant PVC. It can hold up to 300 pounds in weight. But that’s not the best feature about this mattress – you’ll love the fact that it comes with a built-in pump. That’s right! To inflate or deflate the mattress, all you need is to turn on the valve. You can use this mattress together with bed sheets.
Its top and sides are waterproof and easy to clean. On the inside, the mattress is made using coil beams for greater support and stability. You are assured of a good night’s sleep even when out camping. For an eco-friendly option, buy the EZ Inflate Upgraded Twin Air Mattress and enjoy your time in the great outdoors.
- Made of durable puncture-resistant PVC outer surface
- Inflation/deflation is easy and is done by turning the valve
- Comes with waterproof sides and top which you can easily take care of
- Does not come with free inflatable pillows
- Holds only up to 300 pounds in weight
- You have to inflate and wait for 24 hours before the first use
6. Enerplex Never Leak Luxury Twin Size Air MattressWaterproof Air Mattress
When it comes to ease of inflation, Enerplex Never Leak Twin Size Air Mattress is the best. The mattress comes with a rechargeable pump, which also works well when connected to a power source. Unlike other mattresses that seem to take ages to inflate, this one is different. Within one minute (60 seconds), the mattress inflates and seals.
Enerplex must have kept in mind the environment that this mattress is going to be used in by using high-quality PVC for the outer covering. The material is scratch-resistant and is unlikely to get punctured even if you set up your camp in a rugged place in the woods. The mattress is also highly portable for ease of transportation.
- Made of puncture-resistant PVC material
- It inflates fast in under 60 seconds
- The package does not come with separate pillows
- It is not clear the maximum weight it can support
- The mattress does not have a built-in pump
7. Insta-Bed Raised Air Mattress with Never Flat Pump
Do you love camping and often find yourself with the daunting task of worrying about your sleeping arrangements? Insta-Bed has been designed to ease the mind of even the weariest camper. This fantastic air mattress will give you the comfort of your bed away from home. Just because you are camping does not mean you should sacrifice some good sleep. This air mattress has a sued top, which helps in keeping your bedding in place. It has a perfect inflatable height, which makes it easier for people of all ages to climb on.
Insta-Bed Neverflat uses a 2-pump technology; this means that it does not deflate during the night. The primary pump is designed for fast and easy inflation and deflation while the secondary pump detects and discretely maintains the air pressure to your ideal setting through the night. Besides, it has an auto-shutoff feature that prevents the mattress from getting burnt. It has a welded construction and an airtight seal. Moreover, the welded coil is responsible for a comfortable sleeping surface.
- It can support a lot of bodyweight without deflating
- Uses a two-pump feature for comfort
- The pump is silent
- May need a lot more time to inflate
- Can be cold to sleep on without a mattress pad
- It moves around easily when inflated
8. King Koil Queen Size Luxury Raised Air MattressBest Raised/Elevated Air Mattress
When going on a camping trip, you may not have enough space to carry a mattress and pillows, yet you want something large enough to fit you and your partner or kids. If this is you, then you’ll love what the King Coil Queen Luxury Raised Air Mattress has to offer. The mattress is compact when not inflated and comes with built-in pillows, making it easy to pack and carry.
The mattress is also firm enough for a great sleeping posture. It comes with a built-in pump as well as an extra external valve for use at the campsite. To avoid mishaps due to accidental puncturing, the mattress comes with patch kits. It is possible to inflate or deflate the mattress to your desired firmness.
- Comes with a built-in pillow for extra comfort
- Has patch kits to seal up the mattress in case of accidental puncture
- The internal pump provides for easy inflation
- The air in the mattress can get too cold for your comfort
- Prone to losing air fast
- The built-in electrical pump may not work as expected
9. SoundAsleep Camping Series Air Mattress with Eco-Friendly PVC
When you are out camping, you need a mattress that inflates within the shortest time possible. The SoundAsleep Camping Series Air Mattress with Eco-Friendly PVC reaches firmness in just 3 minutes. The mattress features ultra-thick material that allows it to withstand the ravages of the outdoors, so don’t worry about taking it with you on those rugged terrains.
The great thing about this option is that you buy the smaller twin-sized or, the larger queen-sized. Whatever option you go for, you’ll get a carry bag for in the package for easy transport. You’ll also find an inflation pump with a rechargeable battery.
- Made with ultra-thick material to avoid getting punctured while in the outdoors
- Inflates in only three minutes
- Comes with a carry bag for easy transport
- Does not include inflatable pillows
- Unlike similar mattresses, it doesn’t have a built-in pump
- It takes two to three days to expand to its actual size which can be inconveniencing
10. Intex Dura-Beam Standard Series Pillow Rest Raised AirbedBest Air Mattress With Internal Pump
The issue of inflatable mattresses coming without pillows is a major concern for any camper looking for ultimate comfort. It’s more hassle and expensive to buy both separately for your camping expedition. Luckily, the Intex Dura-Beam Standard Series Pillow Raised Airbed comes with a built-in pillow, making it more convenient for camping. It takes up to 4 minutes to fully inflate and can carry a weight of at most 600 pounds.
Now, here’s the beauty of it. This mattress has a built-in pump that makes it easier to inflate, meaning that you don’t need to purchase a separate pump. This lightweight mattress is also highly durable and comfortable thanks to its strong materials.
- Comes with a built-in pillow
- The built-in pump makes inflation for this mattress very easy
- It is a strong, sturdy, and comfortable mattress
- The outer cover may not be tough enough to withstand the ravages of outdoor use
- It is not clear how much weight it can support
- It takes several pumping sessions to attain its full size
11. Coleman Twin Airbed Folding Cot with Side TableBest Air Mattress With Leg Supports
The Coleman Twin Airbed Folding Cot is a unique model from what we have reviewed above. Why? Because it features sturdy steel cot supports that can handle up to a whopping 300 pounds! This mattress is expansive enough, measuring 74 x 40 x 23.5 in dimension. It can accommodate people who are up to 6 feet tall.
This air mattress is built to support a maximum of 300 pounds and can be used by people with a 6-foot height or less. The package comes with a pump that makes use of 4D batteries. It also provides extra comfort and support through its proprietary coil system.
- The proprietary coil system ensures extra comfort and support
- Comes with a double lock, air-tight system that ensures no leakage
- Great for camping and indoor use
- Can only carry a weight of up to 300 pounds
- The package does not include separate pillows
- The pump relies on 4D batteries which are sold separately
12. Outdoorsman Lab Inflatable Sleeping PadBest Inflatable Sleeping Pad
Who doesn’t want a sleeping pad that conforms to the shape of the body for extra support, warmth, and comfort? The Outdoorsman Lab Inflatable Sleeping Pad is that and much more! It’s made of nylon material that’s compact, flexible and abrasion-resistant. Rocks and sticks have no chance of puncturing this mattress.
The mattress inflates and deflates quickly. When fully inflated, the mattress is 73 x 21.6 x 2.2 inches in dimension. It is great for both adults and children. The mattress is durable, long-lasting, and ultra-light.
- Extra comfortable, since it conforms to your body shape
- The nylon outer covering is durable and puncture resistant
- It is quick to inflate and deflate
- Does not come with separate pillows
- It is not clear the maximum weight it can support
- The mattress does not come with a built-in pump
Choosing Best Air Mattresses For Camping: Ultimate Buying Guide
Now that you have decided to buy an air mattress for camping, there’s no need for hurried purchases. Here are a few things you should look at before you make the final decision to invest in a mattress to take on the next hiking or camping trip:
There are two questions you need to ask yourself when purchasing a mattress: Does it come with an external or an internal pump? If external, is the pump included in the package? You see, the whole purpose of an air mattress is convenience. You need all the tools to get it up and ready in minutes. You need extra storage if you buy a mattress with an external inflation pump. That’s not true for an internal pump, however. This one is integrated into the mattress and needs no extra storage space.
The Pump’s Mechanism
There’s still more to learn about the pump! The pumps used to inflate the mattresses can either be manual or automatic. A manual pump can make your backpacking experience a little bit tiresome. When you have a battery-operated pump, you will inflate the mattress in just a few minutes
Weight of Mattress and Supporting Weight
Just like a sleeping bag, an air mattress is supposed to be light. When it’s deflated, the issue of how much weight it can accommodate becomes a concern. If you are looking for a small mattress that you can use yourself when out camping, an option with around 300 pounds rating will do great. However, if you are looking to spend time with your kids or partner, you may want something that can accommodate both your weights, which is double what a single one would have.
Size of the Mattress
Here’s an interesting fact: An air mattress is designed for easy carrying and could fit in your backpack without any problems. But this doesn’t mean so small to accommodate you and your kids, no! The mattress is as big as your memory foam mattress at home. If you are planning to use the mattress in a tent, it should fit in without spilling out. Queen size mattresses can stretch out of the tent when inflated. For a single-occupant tent, the best is a twin size mattress.
The Mattress Cover and Extras
To avoid finding yourself on the ground in the morning, you should choose a mattress with a flocked surface. It is warm and also prevents unnecessary slips to the ground. Additionally, consider a waterproof and antimicrobial cover. The mattress should be good enough to withstand damp conditions in the camp.
That’s it! 12 cool air mattresses that will allow you to enjoy a comfortable night the next time you go camping. Remember to consider the covered factors before you start hunting for an air mattress so that you can be sure to get the right fit. Get out, build that roaring campfire, and enjoy your night in style!