A chop saw is a powerful and versatile tool you can use for cutting various materials. That includes plastic, wood, metal, and other materials. The strongest units can even also tackle hard materials like tile and concrete (jigsaws, circular saws as well). Operating this power tool involves placing the workpiece you want to cut on the working surface, and using the blade to cut it. Chop saws are an excellent choice for both straight and angled cuts. If you plan on using this tool, it is important to find the best chop saws out there. Our review section focused on analyzing important features, such as power, speed, and cutting capacity, which helped us to identify the best chop saws currently available.
Make sure to check out our buying guide, and discover how to choose a unit that will take your cutting to the next level!
Top 13 Chop Saws of 2019 Reviewed
- Top 13 Chop Saws of 2019 Reviewed
- 1. Evolution Power Tools RAGE4 7-1/4-Inch TCT Multipurpose Cutting Chop Saw
- 2. DEWALT DW872 14-Inch Multi-Cutter Saw
- 3. PORTER-CABLE PCE700 15 Amp Chop Saw
- 4. DEWALT D28715 14-Inch Quick-Change Chop Saw
- 5. Bosch 3814 14-Inch Abrasive Cut-Off Machine
- 6. Ironton Dry Cut Metal Saw – 14in
- 7. Makita LC1230 12″ Metal Cutting Saw
- 8. DEWALT D28710 14-Inch Abrasive Chop Saw
- 9. Evolution Power Tools EVOSAW380 15-Inch Steel Cutting Chop Saw
- 10. MK Morse CSM14MB 14-Inch Dry-Cut Metal Cutting Saw
- 11. Proxxon 37160 KGS 80 MICRO Chop Saw
- 12. Metabo CS23-355 15.0 Amp 14-inch Metal Chop Saw
- 13. Ironton 7 1/4in. Dry Cut Chop Saw
- How To Choose Best Chop Saws
- Final Thoughts
1. Evolution Power Tools RAGE4 7-1/4-Inch TCT Multipurpose Cutting Chop Saw
Evolution Power Tools is a reputable brand that designed a unit that deserves the top spot on our list. They created a compact-sized but incredibly powerful and versatile saw.
The multi-purpose cutting technology ensures high-quality cuts that are exceptionally clean and ready for welding. That makes it an integral tool for all plumbers, carpet fitters, electricians, DIY enthusiasts, and general contractors.
The compact size makes the product suitable for moving from one place to another. You can use the swivel clamp to adjust the cutting angle from 0 to 45 degrees. The motor runs on 120V and features 1250W of strength. The maximum width of the cut is set at 3 ¾ inches while the depth is set at two inches.
Depending on the material you are cutting, the saw can make a mess. However, that is something that all saw chop saws do. On the other hand, this one doesn’t require coolant, and it produces almost no sparks.
- A compact-sized saw
- It doesn’t require a coolant
- Very durable, especially at the price range
- It can make a mess
2. DEWALT DW872 14-Inch Multi-Cutter Saw
The next in line is a premium DEWALT DW872 multi-cutter that will exceed all your expectations. The first thing you will notice is the durable blade with a carbide tip. It will secure consistent performance for as long as it lasts, and it will last for a long time.
Overall, the construction of the saw is impressive. Its size and sturdiness enable impressive cut capacity (up to 6 ½ inches rectangular and 5 3/16 inches round). At the same time, the 66-tooth blade is incredibly fast while ensuring excellent results.
The price tag of the saw is somewhat high, but you will get an excellent value for money in return. The combination of sturdy construction and a powerful 4HP motor should be enough to cut non-ferrous and ferrous metals, as well as many other materials.
- A long-lasting and durable saw
- Extremely versatile and suitable for various materials
- Impressive cut capacity
- A high price tag
3. PORTER-CABLE PCE700 15 Amp Chop Saw
This chop saw is fairly big, but it manages to stay fairly light with its 32-pound weight. When it comes to performance, it is equipped with a powerful 15Amp motor. With the maximum of 3,800 RPM, it is quite versatile and can handle various materials.
The unit also includes a cutting fence and allows a 45-degree miter adjustment if you need to make angled cuts. The material clamp has a quick release, which enables you to place and remove materials in seconds.
The blade and wheel diameters are set at 14 inches, and the maximum capacity is set at 4 ¾ x 5 1/3 inches for round cuts. A spark deflector is also a useful addition as it helps to maintain a clear line of sight.
You probably won’t make the most precise cuts with the unit, but it is a chop saw after all. The good news is that it is easy to change the blade whenever that is necessary.
- A powerful motor
- Suitable for angled cuts
- It is easy to change the blade
- Not be the best choice for precision cuts
4. DEWALT D28715 14-Inch Quick-Change Chop Saw
Unlike the previous DEWALT unit we reviewed, this one has a more affordable price. However, that doesn’t affect its performance. On the contrary, it features a powerful 5.5HP motor (15Amp) that secures additional overload capacity.
When it comes to construction, it is fairly durable as its components are a mixture of metal and plastic. If you want to make an angled cut, that is possible thanks to the 45-degree fence adjustment.
Once it starts working, you see that the blade is fairly fast, but it also requires some practice to achieve optimal accuracy. A feature that beginners will love is that you don’t need a wrench to change the blade.
- A powerful motor with additional overload capacity
- No need for a wrench when changing the blade
- Suitable for 45-degree angled cuts
- You will need to practice to achieve optimal accuracy
5. Bosch 3814 14-Inch Abrasive Cut-Off Machine
The 15Amp motor with 4HP and 3,900RPM might be the best part of this abrasive cut-off machine. When it comes to the quality of materials, it could be better, but keep in mind that this is an affordable unit.
The tool does a lot of things right – it has excellent motor insulation, maximum cut depth of six inches, and it is relatively light for a 14-inch tool. You can adjust the fence to make bevel cuts from 0 to 45 degrees, which is pretty standard nowadays.
Although this is only an entry-level unit, we expect a bit more from Bosch in terms of sturdiness. The body can get too flexible at times, and that may compromise working with exceptionally hard materials. However, that doesn’t change the fact that this is still a versatile tool that gives a lot for the money.
- Excellent motor insulation
- Fairly light for a large tool
- Admirable cut capacity
- It doesn’t seem too sturdy
- The materials are not of impressive quality
6. Ironton Dry Cut Metal Saw – 14in
We can’t help but notice that the Ironton’s unit has a sleek and modern design. While you may care about the aesthetics, it is the performance that matters more.
Fortunately, this tool can perform great as it is quite sturdy and has superb quality components. That includes a 15Amp motor with the maximum HP set at 3.8, as well as a carbide-tooth blade that seems very durable.
The maximum speed the unit can achieve is 1,450RPM, but it is still quite fast and reliable. It is a shame that the clamp doesn’t look too firm, and it may have problems keeping the material in place at all times. Also, the unit may be a bit louder, but that is not uncommon for power tools.
If you are a professional, you will like this metal saw because of the ergonomic handle designed for those that cut for a long time.
- It is quite fast and very reliable
- A durable blade that will last for a long time
- The ergonomic handle is great when cutting for hours
- The clamp doesn’t always hold the material in place
- The noise level can be quite big
7. Makita LC1230 12″ Metal Cutting Saw
Makita designed a unit with a base made of large cast aluminum. That secures optimal stability while the 12-inch carbide blade ensures high-quality cuts.
The maximum cutting capacity depends on the angle you select and varies from 3 ½ to 4 ½ inches. The 15Amp motor has a maximum speed of 1,700RPM, and the D-shaped handle ensures non-slip and comfortable gripping.
The product allows fence adjustment up to 45 degrees, but the miter gauge could be more precise. The chip tray will collect the residue while you are cutting, but some of it will still end up on the base. Regardless, it still makes the cleaning process a bit easier for operators.
- A sturdy aluminum base
- Comfortable grip
- A durable blade that will last for a long time
- The miter gauge lacks precision
- The chip tray isn’t completely effective
8. DEWALT D28710 14-Inch Abrasive Chop Saw
This abrasive chop saw might not be the lightest saw out there, but it is easy to move around thanks to the integrated top handle.
Regardless of where you place it, you will enjoy the power of a 15Amp motor with 4HP and a maximum speed of 3,800RPM. That makes the tool extremely versatile, but it is still not a great choice for mild steel.
You will need some time to get used to working with the unit since it can get a bit flimsy. However, the D-shaped handle is an excellent addition to eliminate fatigue, and fast clamping will ensure extra productivity.
The maximum cutting capacity if 4 ¾ to 5 1/8 inches for rectangular shapes and five inches for round shapes. You can make beveled cuts up to 45 degrees thanks to the adjustable fence.
- Fast clamping for added productivity
- D-shaped handle for reducing fatigue
- Fairly light an easy to carry around
- Not a great choice for mild steel
- It can be a bit flimsy
9. Evolution Power Tools EVOSAW380 15-Inch Steel Cutting Chop Saw
If you like the EPT brand and you need a large chop saw suitable even for cutting mild steel, this can be a great unit for you. The 14-inch blade is extremely durable and very long-lasting. The manufacturer claims that the testing proved it lasts 20 times more than an abrasive disc.
It is interesting to note that the tool doesn’t require any coolant, and it keeps the sparks minimized. The line of sight might not always be completely clear due to the robust design, but you can find it by adjusting your head position.
The product has a sturdy aluminum base, and it can cut through a ½-inch mild steel plate quickly. You can also adjust the vice for angled cuts from 0 to 45 degrees. You may feel some vibration in the handle while operating, but nothing out of the ordinary.
- Suitable for cutting mild steel
- No need for a coolant
- A sturdy aluminum base
- You may notice a bit vibration in the handle
- The line of sight is not always completely clear
10. MK Morse CSM14MB 14-Inch Dry-Cut Metal Cutting Saw
It is nice from MK Morse to care about the users, which is why they included safety guard and goggles, as well as ear plugs. It is all you need to stay safe while operating this powerful 1,300RPM metal cutting saw.
Although this is not a high-speed tool, its torque is impressive and makes it perfect for tubing, conduit, angle iron, pipe, and other applications.
The blade seems powerful, and it features 72 teeth, but it is not as durable as on some other tools. It is a shame you need a wrench to replace it, but you will get one that you can conveniently store on-board.
The product doesn’t make a lot of noise, and there are almost no sparks. You can adjust the beveling vice for angled cuts, and the unit is suitable for cutting ¼-inch thick steel.
- A low level of noise and sparks
- Includes a beveling vice
- It comes with ear plugs and safety goggles
- The blade might not be as durable as on some other units
- Replacing the blade requires a wrench
11. Proxxon 37160 KGS 80 MICRO Chop Saw
Proxxon offers an interesting twist with its micro chop saw. The unit features a 3 1/8-inch blade with 24 teeth and a carbide tip. That makes the tool a great choice for angled cuts that demand high precision.
You can adjust the fence up to 45 degrees in both directions, and there are even positive stops at 15-degree increments. The horizontal adjustment may be a bit tricky, but you should get used to how the tool works over time.
The clamps will do a great job in keeping the material in place, and the unit doesn’t make a lot of noise. The motor is quite fast, and it can achieve 4,000RPM. You will get a smoked guard, but that doesn’t seem like the best choice for optimal vision as a clear one would be better. However, that doesn’t compromise the overall excellent value of the product.
- A micro chop saw suitable for angled cuts
- A reliable tightening mechanism
- It is fairly quiet when operating
- The smoked guard might not be the best choice for optimal vision
- It may be tricky to perform a horizontal adjustment
12. Metabo CS23-355 15.0 Amp 14-inch Metal Chop Saw
Metabo designed a unit that is undoubtedly an entry-level one since it has both advantages and drawbacks. For starters, it packs a 15Amp motor with the strength of 2300W, as well as a large 14-inch blade.
The tool is fairly light for a large unit, but the downside of that is that it is not that accurate. It will take some practice until you can make cuts that will exceed your expectations. Thanks to the comfortable handle, you can feel free to exercise without fatigue for as long as needed.
The durability could be better, but it is what you might expect from an affordable tool. The cutting capacity is admirable, but it varies from one shape to another. The tool can be useful for maintenance contractors, piping, drywall, and metal fabricators.
- A powerful motor that can handle hard materials
- A comfortable handle
- Fairly light for a large tool
- It may not be that accurate
- Not as durable as some other units
13. Ironton 7 1/4in. Dry Cut Chop Saw
We are ending the same way we began, with a compact and portable chop saw. This unit was designed by Ironton, and it weighs only 16.7 pounds.
However, its performance is more than decent. The cutting capacity goes up to two inches for round shapes, 1 25/32 for square, and 1 3/16 – 3 ½ inches for rectangular bars (from 0 to 90 degrees).
The blade is fairly durable considering the size, and the tool is quite fast with maximum RPM set at 3,800. The ergonomic handle will work on reducing fatigue when working for a long time.
The base is durable and provides the necessary stability. The only downsides are limited power and size, but that is expected from a compact chop saw. It remains a great choice for DIY enthusiasts and those who need a handheld tool.
- A fast tool with solid precision
- A lightweight unit easy to move around
- The ergonomic handle makes it easy to operate for hours
- Not suitable for those that need a large saw
- Not too powerful
How To Choose Best Chop Saws
We have many different power tools available these days, but if you are looking for a truly powerful one, you want a chop saw. These units are very strong and can do a great job in cutting materials ranging from metal and steel to wood and drywall.
An Overview of the Most Important Features in a Chop Saw
First, let’s make an overview of the crucial features and components you can find in a chop saw. By knowing more about them, it will become a lot easier to choose the one that fits your needs.
Here is the list:
- Motor – an integral component of every power tool. You need to consider two things – its strength and speed. Horsepower and Amps are used to describe the power of the motor while rotations per minute (RPM) inform you about how fast it can spin.
- Base – it is a surface that keeps the entire unit sturdy, which makes it a vital part of a chop saw. It includes an area where you are supposed to place the workpiece you want to cut.
- Blade – the part that does the actual cutting. It comes in various sizes, so make sure to choose the fitting one for your needs.
- Clamps – these are also known as tightening mechanisms. Their goal is to hold the material in place to ensure a straight and accurate cut.
- Cutting capacity – it is vital to know the maximum cutting capacities of your desired tool as it will tell you more about the size of the materials you can cut.
- Fence – you should always look for an adjustable fence because it gives you the option to make angled cuts.
Things to Consider When Buying a Chop Saw
Let’s take a look at the factors you should keep in mind when purchasing a chop saw.
Materials You Plan To Cut
The crucial consideration is the materials you want to cut with the chop saw. For example, you may need an exceptionally strong and high-performing saw to cut hard materials like tile. On the other hand, a moderately powerful motor can be enough for most DIY projects.
Keep in mind that the motor speed isn’t directly proportionate to the thickness of the materials. Furthermore, a low-speed unit may be more suitable for hard applications. On the other hand, a high-speed tool can provide excellent productivity when cutting light materials.
The desired blade size will also depend on the materials you want to cut. If you are going for a compact and portable tool, a 7-inch blade should do a decent job. It is also a suitable choice for casual at-home users of a chop saw.
If you need a large tool, go with a 14-inch blade. It should be big enough to cover all your planned cuts. However, make sure that it is also of adequate quality and durability so that it can last for a long time.
The next thing you want to consider is the type of blade that you want. In essence, you can choose between these two types:
- Abrasive blades – the manufacturers make them by applying diamonds to a metal mesh. While operating, the mesh is erased, and diamonds are dyed. Go with a rigid mesh for soft metals and a soft base for hard materials. Abrasive blades are more affordable, but also less durable than their counterparts.
- Carbide-tipped blades – these blades might cost extra, but they feature a strong metal and exceptionally hard teeth. That ensures they will last for a long time, and more often than not, they will also work faster than abrasive blades. Additionally, they do not produce nearly as much heat or sparks.
Make sure to consider the number of teeth on your carbide-tip blade. For example, if you plan on cutting non-ferrous metals, it would be wise to have at least 64 teeth.
The inclination of teeth can be positive and negative. If the angle is positive, feel free to use them on thick-walled materials. But if you have a negative angle of teeth on your blade, you should stick to thin-walled metals.
Additional Factors To Consider
These are some additional details that you can consider when buying a chop saw:
- Angled cuts – the majority of chop saws nowadays come with an adjustable fence that allows you to choose the desired angle of the cut.
- Blade replacement – some saws may require you to use a wrench to replace the blade. Others offer an easier way that doesn’t require a special tool.
- Price – it would be silly not to consider your budget when purchasing any tool. The important thing to ensure is that the product provides a good value for the money.
- Brand – you should always stick to reputable companies, such as Evolution Power Tools, DeWalt, Makita, etc.
Do You Need a Fixed or Portable Chop Saw?
The truth is that you can move around almost any chop saw. However, the two things that make the difference in portability are size and weight. So, ultimately, this is a question whether you need a compact-sized or a large tool.
If you are a DIY enthusiast that plans to move the tool frequently, go with a light and compact unit. On the other hand, if you are looking for additional power and capability to handle exceptionally hard materials, look for large and sturdy tools.
Vital Tips to Safely Use a Chop Saw
You should make sure to stay safe while using power tools. These are sharp and powerful units that can cause injuries, which is why caution when operating them is advised.
Here are some pointers to stick to when using chop saws:
- Always use safety goggles and gloves, as well as earplugs. These will ensure that you are protected from the shaving and the noise that the tool makes.
- Only turn on the saw when you think that is perfectly safe. A rotating blade should never be touched with hands or any other part of the body.
- Always unplug the saw you don’t use. Additionally, make sure the cord isn’t too tight, and there is no danger that someone will trip over it.
It shouldn’t be difficult to pick the best chop saw for your garage or workshop when you know what to look for in this tool.
Chop saws vary in size, blade type, motor power and speed, and many other features. We covered all these in detail in our buying guide while our review section contains carefully selected units designed by reputable brands.
We advise you to take a bit of time to analyze the products we chose for you and compare them. Use what you learned from the buying guide during the comparison as that is the best way to find a model that will be a perfect fit.
If you need to perform some cutting, it is essential to get a reliable tool. Go ahead and pick your favorite chop saw to ensure the results exceed your expectations.