Choosing a cutting board is a highly contested topic. If you have been in the market for one in the past, you’ve probably come across all kinds of advice – mostly conflicting! Some say that wood is safer; others say that plastic is easy to use doesn’t blunt knives; some claim that glass boards are the most sanitary. Well, the truth is that each type has its own benefits and could fit you, depending on your needs.
Want to know sho’s right? We have chopped, mined, and sliced 10 cool cutting boards in an aim to help you find the right choice that will do the job effectively and keep your knives choice that will do the job effectively and keep your knives happy!
Best 10 Cutting Boards of 2020 Reviewed
- Best 10 Cutting Boards of 2020 Reviewed
- 1. Prep Series Cutting Boards by Epicurean
- 2. Virginia Boys Kitchens Large Walnut Wood Cutting Board by Virginia Boys Kitchen
- 3. OXO Good Grips Cutting And Carving Board
- 4. Teak Rounded Rectangle Chopping Board with Centered Handle
- 5. Flexible Plastic Cutting Board Mats Sets
- 6. Teak Cutting Board – Rectangle Carving Board with Hand Grip
- 7. Hardwood Chef Premium Thick Acacia Wood End Grain Cutting Board
- 8. EXTRA LARGE Organic Bamboo Cutting Board with Juice Groove
- 9. GORILLA GRIP Original Reversible Cutting Board
- 10. Epicurean Kitchen Series Cutting Board, 17.5-Inch By 13-Inch
- How to Choose the Best Cutting Boards: The Ultimate Buying Guide
1. Prep Series Cutting Boards by EpicureanBest Wood Composite Cutting Board
A good cutting board is one you can use for all occasions. One that’s perfect for cutting vegetables, bread, and meat. It should also be able to accommodate any quantity of meet without letting it overflow onto the ground. Prep Series Cutting Boards come in sets of three. Regardless of the number of vegetables or meat you need to cut, it will work very well for you. The smallest size is 10 by 7 inches while the largest is 17 by 11 inches.
To withstand the hot environment in the kitchen, this cutting board is made for the purpose. It can resist anything below 350 degrees. Since it is wooden, the cutting board does not unnecessarily blunt knives. Your knife will remain sharp no matter how many times you use it on the cutting board. It is safe to wash this cutting board in a dishwasher to prevent the development of bacteria on the surface.
- Comes in a set of three differently-sized boards
- Heat resistant, by up to 350 degree
- Does not blunt knives
- Prone to chipping near the edges after only a few cuts
- May have an unwanted smell
- Some reviewers find it unsuitable for cleaning in a dishwasher
2. Virginia Boys Kitchens Large Walnut Wood Cutting Board by Virginia Boys KitchenBest Hardwood Chopping Board
There’s no need to have a chopping board when all it does is dull your knives all the time. This product of Virginia Boys Kitchen is made of walnut, which is tough enough to withstand several cuts while preventing the dulling of your knives. It is best for mincing meat, dicing herbs, chopping vegetables, slicing fruits, and carving meats. On its edge is a juice groove which catches all the runaway liquids.
It comes in a rich dark brown hue. As such, it serves as a perfect addition to your home décor. You can either buy it for your own use or as a gift for a friend or family member on special occasions. It is a multi-functional board that serves more than just your kitchen cutting needs. Use it to serve sushi, pizzas, bread, cheese platters, and charcuterie.
- The surface does not dull knives
- The walnut wood used to make it is cured in a kiln to render it durable
- Can be used for more functions and not just cutting
- Some cutting board may be delivered un-sanded
- Improper storage may cause the boards to warp
- It requires seasoning at least once every month
3. OXO Good Grips Cutting And Carving BoardBest Plastic Cutting Board with Handles
Apart from wood, cutting boards can also be made from synthetic materials such as polypropylene. The OXO Good Grips Cutting and Carving Board is one such product. As a result, the board is durable and can last for years. It is also non-porous, which means it won’t encourage the development of bacteria deep into the surface.
The good thing with this board is that it is double sided. When you get tired of cutting on one side, you can simply turn it over to the other one. Also, you have no reason to worry about the food above being contaminated by substances on the underside. Even though tough in nature, the surface does not blunt knives. It may only get minor scratches. For easy lifting, the board comes with tapered, soft handles.
- Made of durable polypropylene material
- It has a non-porous surface
- Double-sided for little or no cross-contamination
- May begin to warp when cleaned in the dishwasher
- Does not work very well with ceramic knives
- The board may crack when hit by a sharp cleaver
4. Teak Rounded Rectangle Chopping Board with Centered HandleBest Traditional Style Cutting Board
One of the things look for in a cutting board is a handle to help lift it after use. This Teak Cutting Board comes with a handle for easy lifting. The handle isn’t just meant to make it stylish but also more functional. Additionally, it is made of hardwood teak. It is neither harsh to your knives nor does it splinter or break at will. Due to its durable nature, you can expect to have it in your kitchen for a long time to come.
Even though rectangular in shape, the board comes with rounded corners. Your home décor will benefit greatly not just because of the color but the unique shape. It is 18 by 12 inches, which makes it among the largest. Thus, you can use it to cut your fruits, vegetables, and meats.
- Made of hardy teak, which makes it very durable
- It does not dull knives, given its wooden nature
- One of the largest cutting board available today
- The bottom surface of the board comes rough and in need of sanding
- Requires frequent treatment with mineral oil
- May splinter if not well handled
5. Flexible Plastic Cutting Board Mats SetsBest Platic Cutting Board Mats
One of the biggest fears when it comes to buying a cutting board made of synthetic material is BPA contamination. Even though common in most plastics, BPA should be the least of your worries concerning this cutting board. In short, the material from which it’s made is non-toxic. The manufacturers even say it has the ability to kill bacteria and other pathogens.
It comes in three colors. With such a wide variety, it is much easier for you to choose exactly what you need for your kitchen. The cutting board is flexible in the sense that you can funnel or bent it to easily channel ingredients in a pot or pan. You have no reason to worry about the board cracking. Clean it in the dishwasher. Since the surface is non-porous, you don’t have to worry about the board retaining bad odors.
- Made of synthetic non-toxic materials
- Comes in a variety of three colors
- Flexible, given it, can be bent or funneled when removing ingredients
- May curve when cleaned in the dishwasher
- Prone to staining, especially the yellow one
- Tends to slide on the countertop, given that the underside is also smooth
6. Teak Cutting Board – Rectangle Carving Board with Hand GripBest Rectangular Chopping Block
Like the other Teak Cutting Boards, this particular product is durable and guaranteed to last for a long time. After all, teak is a hardwood that features closely-held grains. It is the best wood for carving barbecue meats. However, it hardly dulls knives. You can be sure of your knife remains sharp for a long time to come.
This particular Teak Cutting Board is rectangular, without the round edges that define similar products. It measures 20 by 15 inches, making it an expansive cutting board for any type of work in the kitchen. Even though it does not have a handle, it weighs a manageable 12 pounds. Thus, it is easy to move around the kitchen. When you buy this cutting board, you would be contributing to environmental sustainability, thanks to the plantations where the wood is sourced.
- Made of long-lasting wood from teak
- Has a wide surface, making it suitable for most work in the kitchen
- Not abrasive enough to dull knives
- May smell of strong chemicals when new
- The finish may not look very professional
7. Hardwood Chef Premium Thick Acacia Wood End Grain Cutting BoardBest Thick Hardwood Butcher Block
This is undoubtedly the thickest cutting board among the products featured in this review. At two inches, the thickness makes it nearly impossible for this board to start warping with time. You can expect this cutting board to last for a long time to come. Even so, this cutting board is extremely safe for your knives. You do not have to worry about unwanted dulling.
When cutting juicy foods such as meats, fruits, and vegetables, you don’t have to worry about unexpected overflows. The board comes with juice groves into which the excess liquid will settle for a while. For healthy gourmet dining indoors or outdoors, this is the cutting board you need. It is highly portable, given the inner handles.
- Made of luxury acacia wood, which features unique patterns and natural hues
- Comes with juice groves on its edges for catching liquids before they overflow
- Gentle on knives, since it doesn’t cause any dulling
- Unexpected falling apart after using the cutting board over time
- May develop cracks in the areas where the wood was glued
8. EXTRA LARGE Organic Bamboo Cutting Board with Juice GrooveBest Large Bamboo Cutting Board
Bamboo is one of the most preferred materials for making kitchen cutting boards. It is a resilient material which is at the same time friendly to knives. This extra-large cutting board is expansive enough for serving purposes. Thus, after carving your barbecue, you can go ahead and serve it on this board, whether indoors or outdoors. Any juice from vegetables, fruits, and meats will be held in the built-in grooves. What more do you want?
Made from all-natural, non-organic bamboo, this cutting board has anti-microbial and antibacterial properties. You don’t have to worry about your food getting contaminated. Unlike wood, bamboo does not absorb liquids. Thus, you shouldn’t expect any build-up of bacteria on the surface of this cutting board.
- Has a large-sized surface both for chopping and serving
- The bamboo material used to make the cutting board is friendly to knives
- Has built-in grooves for holding juice from meats, fruits, and vegetables
- It can be a little bit too heavy for your liking
- Requires frequent maintenance using mineral oil
- May not be as durable as the wooden cutting boards
9. GORILLA GRIP Original Reversible Cutting Board
What are you looking for in a cutting board? If it is strength and durability, this GORILLA GRIP cutting board is all you need. Even though made of synthetic materials, it is 100 percent BPA-free. So you don’t have to worry about toxins making their way into your food. The non-porous material ensures there is no development of bacteria and other pathogens. Cross-contamination is the least of your worries when using this cutting board.
The cutting boards come in a set of three ranging from an 11.8 by 8 inches one to a 16 by 11.2 inches board. That surface is large enough for virtually any cutting job in the home. The good thing is that the board is reversible. Thus, you can avoid mixing flavors simply by turning it over on the other side. It holds the juice in the grooves to prevent unnecessary spillage on the countertop.
- It is strong and durable
- Comes in a set of three differently-sized cutting boards
- Ability to turn over to prevent mixing flavors
- May slide on the countertop during use
- The large-sized one may not fit in the dishwasher
- Some previous buyers don’t like the kind of handle the cutting board has
10. Epicurean Kitchen Series Cutting Board, 17.5-Inch By 13-InchBest Lightweight Cutting Board
Like other cutting boards from the Epicurean brand, this particular product is heat resistant by up to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. That’s ideal for use as trivets. If you have a busy kitchen, this cutting board is hardy and durable enough to withstand the ravages of daily use. It doesn’t matter the number of times you use a sharp knife on it. The surface remains virtually blemish-free. Importantly, your knife does not go through unnecessary dulling.
It is one of the highly-rated cutting boards when it comes to ease of use, durability, ease of cleaning, and sturdiness. If that’s all you are looking for in a cutting board, then what is? You will spend virtually no money to maintain this board. After all, it is neither bamboo or wooden.
- Resistant to extreme heat conditions and is ideal for use as a trivet
- Durable and long-lasting
- Does not require regular maintenance, unlike the wooden cutting boards
- Some reviewers have discovered that this board actually blunts knives
- It is also prone to knife-cut scratches after a short while of use
- May also warp, especially when cleaned in the dishwasher
How to Choose the Best Cutting Boards: The Ultimate Buying Guide
Cutting boards are essential to any kitchen since they make food preparation easier. However, not all cutting boards are the same. They are different in terms of the materials used to make them, purpose, as well as care and maintenance. There are several factors to consider before settling on a specific cutting board, including the following:
Cutting boards are categorized according to the materials from which they are made. Thus, they can be plastic, bamboo, wooden or stone and glass. Let’s discuss the different types of cutting boards.
- Plastic. Plastic chopping boards stand out for being the most hygienic. To clean one, all you have to do is run it in the dishwasher. Given the ease with which plastic materials are available, these cutting boards are usually very affordable. Its non-porous nature ensures it does not allow food particles to accumulate in the material. Due to their durability plastic cutting boards are long-lasting. They require very minimal maintenance. Once cleaned, store it and pick it up when you need it next. However, plastic is prone to scratches, which tend to harbor bacteria.
- Bamboo. Bamboo is a hardy natural material that has an appearance like that of wood. Given its renewable nature, bamboo is an eco-friendly material. It may quickly render knives blunt, given its hardy nature. The grains are compactly packed together making it less porous. When compared to wood, bamboo is more affordable. However, you have to keep oiling it to stop it from splintering. After a long time of use and degradation, bamboo cutting boards also tend to be prone to bacteria.
- Wood. Among all the materials used to make cutting boards, wood is the most popular. The best wood for cutting boards is maple or walnut. Even though tough, these types of woods are not quick at dulling knives. Wood has a porous surface and works well for cutting bread and vegetables. Even when scarred, wooden cutting boards are self-healing. However, wood is too porous for use when cutting meat. Some of the animal tissue may seep into the wood leading to the buildup of bacteria.
- Stone and glass. Stone and glass cutting boards are perhaps the easiest to clean. They are non-porous and prevent the unnecessary build-up of bacteria. Apart from being colorful, they are stylish. However, the abrasive nature of these surfaces my damage knives. Even though they are completely non-porous, they still encourage the growth of bacteria on the surface.
Even though generally known as cutting boards, these kitchen appliances can be put to different uses. There are those which exclusively serve as cutting boards for solid foods while others can be used to cut fruits. In the first category are breadboards, butcher boards, and cheese boards. Additionally, we have some whose main purpose is for cutting vegetables.
The second variety consists of carving boards whose edges have juice groves. This ensures that pieces of meat do not fall off the board. It also comes with handles for easy transport between the kitchen and the dining table.
Care and Maintenance
While there are some chopping board materials that are easy to clean, all of then still require a high level of maintenance. Stone are glass cutting boards have been found to be the easiest to clean. After scrubbing, you can easily pass it through the dishwasher to get it clean.
Even so, bamboo and wooden cutting boards need regular oiling to prevent cracking and warping. The oil also prevents bacteria from unnecessarily building up inside the board. Oiling also prevents warping or staining.
Cutting boards come in different sizes. Depending on the type of work for which you need a cutting board, you could choose any size. It also depends on the amount of space on the surface where you would use the board. If all you want is a cutting board for vegetables, then picking a small-sized one is the way to go.
What kind of cutting board are you looking for? Is it a wooden, plastic, bamboo or stone one? You can pick a cutting board depending on your needs and how easy it is to maintain. The purpose for which you want a cutting board also matters. We hope that our review has informed on on the best picks as well as some of the things that can help you make a wise choice. Good luck with your shopping!