Man’s best friend. And at times, man’s greatest annoyance. Though our love for them never fades, it can be extremely irritating when they go where they shouldn’t or chew what isn’t food. You definitely wish they’d learn that shoes are not chew toys, your garden doesn’t have any hidden treasure, and your garbage has nothing to hide.
Fortunately for all of us, there are certain smells and sounds that can deter your four-legged friend from continuing his/her bad behavior. And we’ve listed down the most effective ones in the market today. And just for organization purposes, the first half of the list is for correcting your pet’s behavior. The second half is for correcting someone else’s pet’s behavior (i.e. attacking dogs).
Top Dog Repellent Sprays of 2018 Reviewed
- Top Dog Repellent Sprays of 2018 Reviewed
- 1. The Company of Animals Pet Corrector
- 2. Grannick’s Bitter Apple
- 3. Sentry Good Behavior Stop That! Noise & Pheromone Spray
- 4. Particular Paws Anti-Chew Bitter Spray for Dogs
- 5. Bodhi Dog Bitter Lemon Spray
- 6. PetSafe Ssscat Cat Spray Control System
- 7. PRO Anti Chew Spray For Dogs & Puppies
- 8. Chewfix Extra Strength Bitter Spray
- 9. SABRE Dog Spray
- 10. HALT Dog Repellant Spray
- How to Choose the Correct Dog Repellent Spray
1. The Company of Animals Pet Corrector
Unlike some dog repellent sprays, the Pet Corrector doesn’t use smell to stop your dog (or any four-legged pet) from behaving badly. The can contains an inert gas that is odorless and non-flammable. This gas is released using a spray mechanism which emits a hissing sound, similar to the warning sound made by a snake. This interrupts your pet’s unwanted behavior. When this happens, some users then used positive reinforcement to reiterate the command.
- odorless & non-flammable gas
- free training guide included
- fits in your pocket
- doesn’t work on all dogs
- kind of pricey for a small can
- some consumers are concerned about the use of negative reinforcement
2. Grannick’s Bitter Apple
A crowd favorite, Grannick’s Bitter Apple is a non-toxic spray that prevents your dog from chewing anything that he shouldn’t, from your furniture and personal stuff to parts of his body such as fur, wounds, and bandages. The solution is made up of bitter extract, water, and 20% isopropanol – safe for both you and your pet.
- comes in various sizes
- doesn’t work on some dogs
- some buyers have reported the need to keep reapplying the spray frequently
- some buyers have reported leaking bottles
3. Sentry Good Behavior Stop That! Noise & Pheromone Spray
This is one dog repellent spray that makes use of both smell and sound to stop bad behavior. The spray smells like a natural pheromone which calms down your pet while the sound of the spray (hissing) catches their attention (in most cases, scares them). And if you’re wondering what natural pheromone smells like, you won’t know with this product. The company makes use of a lavender chamomile fragrance to mask the pheromone. Only your pets will be able to smell it.
- makes use of two deterrents in one spray
- the stream is pretty strong and so is the sound of the air hissing out
- smells good
- some buyers have complained about the small amount of liquid inside the
- doesn’t work for some dogs
- needs to be used immediately after/during the bad behavior
4. Particular Paws Anti-Chew Bitter Spray for DogsDog Repellent Spray For Furniture
This is another bitter spray that will stop your best friend (the four-legged one, okay?) from chewing his/her way through the entire house. It contains bitter principles, water, and 0.1 percent tea tree oil. Not only is the spray safe for your pet, it’s also safe to use on anything that can handle a light mist of water. What we really love about this spray is the fact that the manufacturer offers 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you’re not happy, they will provide you a hassle-free refund.
- all natural formula
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
- made in the USA
- doesn’t work on all dogs
- some users complained about not receiving the spray top
- some users have reported ill effects on their dogs (i.e. diarrhea)
5. Bodhi Dog Bitter Lemon Spray
This anti-chew spray is similar to our other picks because it contains natural bitters that will deter most pets from nibbling on things that they shouldn’t. The actual blend includes natural lemon extracts and is 100% non-toxic. Being plant-based, the spray is best for pets that have allergies or other sensitivities. Bodhi Dog manufactures the spray using locally sourced, sustainable ingredients in the USA. And they also offer a 100% money back guarantee.
- plant-based and 100% non-toxic
- doesn’t negatively impact any furniture, plants, etc the liquid is sprayed on
- 100% money back guarantee
- doesn’t work on all dogs
- one user reports that her cat vomited when ingesting the product
- some users have reported that once sprayed, the aerosol gets into the air and can be “tasted”
6. PetSafe Ssscat Cat Spray Control System
If you want to keep your pet away from certain areas in your house, then this repellent is your best bet. The spray is actually motion-activated. It can detect movement up to 3 feet way using infrared for 24-hours. The content of the spray is actually compressed air – odorless, safe, and ozone-friendly. With this spray, you don’t even need to be anywhere near your pet to train him or her to keep away from trouble zones.
- safe and odorless
- no need to monitor
- can be turned on and off
- accidental activation can lead to the can emptying far too quickly
- could make pets too anxious
7. PRO Anti Chew Spray For Dogs & Puppies
This anti-chew bitter spray was designed by pet trainers and veterinarians. The company claims that it’s the most powerful bitter deterrent on the market and you can bet your patootie that your dog’s chewing will stop in 14 days. It even comes with an online, interactive training program. If at any point in time the spray doesn’t work or you aren’t happy with the results, you can also get a full refund.
- online, interactive training program
- 100% No Hassle Lifetime Satisfaction Guarantee
- doesn’t work on all dogs
- once sprayed, some users reported tasting it in the air
- does not work well for pets chewing due to anxiety
8. Chewfix Extra Strength Bitter Spray
This is an alcohol-free bitter spray that you can put on any surface in your house (as long as you let it dry first) and on your pet to deter him/her from licking or chewing bandages, hot spots, or sores. The spray is made in the USA and comes with a 100% money back, empty bottle guarantee. They even pay for return shipping!
- 100% money back, empty bottle guarantee (including shipping)
- some users have reported getting the mist in their mouths, nose, and hands; the bitter taste seems to last for more than a day for humans
- doesn’t work on all dogs
- repellent doesn’t last long for pets
9. SABRE Dog SprayDog Repellent Spray for Joggers
This is another dog deterrent spray that is both safe and environmentally friendly. The SABRE Dog Spray contains natural pepper which is a deterrent for dogs but does not cause any long term injury or adverse effects on them or the sprayer. What makes this spray truly stand out is the fact that it does not spray continuously. It emits a concentrated one-second burst so you don’t have to worry about wind blowback. And, depending on the size, it can reach up to 15 feet away!
- comes in two sizes – belt clip and keychain sizes
- one-second bursts which lessens chance of wind blowback
- trusted brand by police officers in the USA
- some consumers have reported that the trigger can accidentally be moved to fire position
- It’s more for repelling strange dogs that might attack you, not your best friend
- the pepper may cause short term pain for the dog
10. HALT Dog Repellant Spray
This repellant spray is perfect for other people’s misbehaving dogs that bother you. This pepper spray is specifically designed to prevent dogs from getting too near to bite you (or your dog). The cans are lightweight, easily attached to a belt, and its spray can reach up to 12 feet.
The company claims to be the favorite dog repellent spray of the US Postal Service. Like all other repellent spray, this will not work for all dogs. And you need to be accurate in your aim. But you might be interested to know that it’s not allowed to be sold in California due to the state’s pepper spray laws.
- Very effective
- Spray can reach up to a distance of 12 feet
- Cannot be sold in California
- Does not work on all dogs
- Some users have reported a weak stream when using the spray (no more than 2 or 3 feet)
How to Choose the Correct Dog Repellent Spray
We all know that dogs like to misbehave. Who doesn’t? But like children, man’s best friend needs to learn what’s right and what’s wrong. Sometimes, they don’t listen to what you say (not any different to most of us humans) so you have to reinforce the rules in a way that they’ll remember. And this is where dog repellent sprays come in.
Two main types of dog repellent sprays
Dog repellent sprays, as the name suggests, repels dogs or deters them from performing a certain behavior. Now, you might not realize that these products can be organized into two categories – one is for your dog and the other is for other people’s dogs.
The first category consists of sprays that you can use to teach YOUR pet what is right and wrong. You can use sound such as The Company of Animals Pet Corrector to let your pet know that the behavior (chewing, barking, etc.) is unacceptable. You can also use smell and taste to prevent your pet from performing a certain behavior. Some good examples are Grannick’s Bitter Apple and Bodhi Dog Bitter Lemon Spray. Some companies make use of both sound and smell – Sentry Good Behavior Stop That! Noise & Pheromone Spray for Dogs.
The second category of dog repellent sprays are for those designed specifically to stop other people’s dogs from attacking you and/or your dog. These are typically pepper sprays like SABRE Dog Spray which are used by law enforcement agencies.
What do you plan to do with the spray?
Before you even look at any of the dog repellent sprays being sold in the market, you should first think about what you want to achieve with the spray and how you want to achieve it. What does this mean? This means that you should think about whether you prefer to use sound or smell, whether you want to use the spray to punish behavior being done while you’re there (barking), or do you wish to prevent your dog from doing something bad while you’re not watching (digging through the trash, chewing your sofa, etc.). Do you plan on spraying your furniture with the dog repellent spray? What about your plants, your shoes, and parts of your body? When you know exactly how you plan on using the spray, then you can look over your options.
How safe is it?
All of our picks have been determined safe for pets. Humans, on the other hand, are another matter altogether. Don’t get us wrong. Not one of these will harm you indefinitely. But there are some products that you may be allergic to (even without knowing it). Or, as we’ve seen in some of these products, there will be some sprays that get in your mouth, eyes, and nose which can cause irritation. Some products have been found to last for days. While the spray may be effective on your pet, you will have to weigh in how much you are willing to sacrifice in order for your pet to learn the lesson.
Test it out + money back guarantee
You’ll notice that half of the reviews on all dog repellent sprays talk about how well they work while the other half complains about the stuff not working on their pets. This is because not all pets are alike. Some dogs (and cats) will not mind the bitter taste of the spray just as some dogs will not mind the irritation and pain (short term only) caused by the pepper spray. Which then begs the question, how do you know what will work for your dog? You actually won’t. You’ll have to test it out to see how your pet responds. Its best if you can get a trial period or find a product that offers a money back guarantee. This way, you’re covered in case you get a spray that your dog (or cat) actually loves.
When it comes to dog repellent spray, nothing’s a sure thing. All of our picks are harmless, affordable, and easy to use. The only drawback is you’ll never know which one will give you the result you’re looking for. You’ll just have to spray them all.