Noise can be disruptive, annoying and worst of all lead to ear damage. Noise reduction especially at the workplace is a legal requirement due to the dangers of loud noise to a person. Loss of hearing or getting that permanent ringing in your ears isn’t a great thing and it’s necessary to invest in a pair of quality noise reduction measures such as adhering to the right noise decibels for a given task and wearing ear protectors such as ear plugs.
Compared to ear defenders, ear plugs are placed inside the ear canal which offers better protection against noise. There are various types of ear plugs in the market for all manner of activities such as sleeping, swimming, flying and industrial use. Most of the ear plugs come in a one size fits all and can be made of foam or silicone.
There are thousands of earplugs available in the market and it can be hectic picking the right ones for your needs. We have compiled a review of the best ear plugs to protect you from all types of noise and ensure that you enjoy most of the activities without any noise disruption.
Top 10 Ear Plugs of 2019 Reviewed
- Top 10 Ear Plugs of 2019 Reviewed
- 1. Mpow Foam Earplugs
- 2. Mack’s Ultra Soft Foam Earplugs
- 3. AMAZKER Foam Ear Plugs
- 4. EarPeace HD Concert Ear Plugs
- 5. Howard Leight by Honeywell MAX Foam Ear Plugs
- 6. Etymotic ER20XS High-Def Motorsport Earplugs
- 7. Eargasm High Fidelity Earplugs
- 8. EarJoy Noise Cancelling Ear Plugs
- 9. Honeywell Laser Lite High Visibility Disposable Foam Earplugs
- 10. Flents Quiet Please Ear Plugs
- How to Choose the Best Ear Plug – Buying Guide
1. Mpow Foam EarplugsBest Value Ear Plugs
Whether you are reading, welding or just want to enjoy a few hours of sleep, the Mpow foam earplugs will provide you with ultimate noise protection. They have a high noise reducing rating of 34 decibels which will shield your ears from any damage. They come in a jar containing 60 pairs of earplugs and even include a small aluminum case to conveniently carry them with you when on the go. The earplugs are hygienic which helps prevent ear infections.
- Comes in a jar of 60 pairs of earplugs
- Made of soft foam material
- High noise reduction rating of 34 decibels
- Affected by direct sunlight
- Have a smell
- A bit too dense for some people
2. Mack’s Ultra Soft Foam EarplugsBest Ear Plugs for Sleeping
Are you tired of losing sleep due to a snoring partner or noise in the streets? Then these soft foam earplugs from Mack’s come highly recommended by doctors to help reduce ear damage due to excessive noise. The ergonomically designed ear plugs are made of Comfy Cush foam that provides you with maximum comfort. With a high Noise Reducing Rating of 32 Db, these ear plugs are just what you need to protect your ears. These super comfortable ear plugs come in a jar containing 50 pairs which makes them economical and affordable.
- Highly recommended by doctors
- Come in a jar containing 50 pairs
- Made of Comfy Cush foam material
- Lots of imitation in the market that’re hard
- Newer designs may not fit as good as the older models
- Don’t come with a carrying case
3. AMAZKER Foam Ear PlugsBest Foam Ear Plugs
Reduce the noise around you and enjoy some peace by investing in a pack of AMAZKER ear plugs. The plugs come with a Noise Reduction Rating of 32Db which ensures that your ears are well protected. The ear plugs are made of memory foam which is comfortable in your ears. The ear plugs rebound in your ear within 60 seconds providing you with efficient noise protection.
The ear plugs have an upgraded bell-shaped design that can be customized to fit your ear without falling out or hurting the ear canal. The package also includes a sleek aluminum case for carrying a few of the plugs as you travel or go to work. The jar comes with a total of 60 pairs of ear plugs which saves you money. The neon green color is highly visible when in the ear.
- Upgraded bell-shaped design
- Sleek aluminum carrying case
- 60 pairs of ear plugs
- Some find them too firm
- Not ideal for sensitive ears
- Hard to remove from the ear
4. EarPeace HD Concert Ear PlugsBest Ear Plugs for Music Concerts
EarPeace as a brand has specialized in providing music lovers with quality earplugs that will lock out the volume without interfering with the quality of the sound. These music festival essentials have undergone a vigorous manufacturing process to ensure that you get the best possible ear protection without compromising on the sound. Made of silicone, they have a soft and safe feel in your ear while being comfortable throughout the concert.
The low profile concert plugs come with an aluminum carrying case to help you have a couple of them when on the go. They are hypo allergic and can be re-used for a number of concerts. The high fidelity ear plugs have a dual flange design which comfortably seals out the ear from any loud noise. Once inside the ear, they seem to disappear and are invisible due to their small and low profile design.
- Dual flange design
- 4-phase vigorous manufacturing process
- Hypo-allergic and re-usable
- Easily get lost
- Small carrying case
- May take time to insert
5. Howard Leight by Honeywell MAX Foam Ear PlugsBest Ear Plugs for Shooting
In the bold colors of the American flag comes these foam ear plugs from Honeywell that are themed after the country’s shooting team. The disposable ear plugs have a high nosie reduction rating of 33 decibels. The bell shape is ergonomically designed to take the shape of the ear giving you a comfortable fit.
For improved hygiene, the push in ear plugs have a soil-resistant closed cell foam construction that prevents dirt from building up and causing ear infections. Made of smooth and soft polyurethane foam, the ear plugs can be worn of extended periods of time without causing soreness. For economic savings, you can opt for the 200-pair pack of these highly recommended, individually wrapped ear plugs.
- Bell shape ergonomic design
- Made of soil-resistant foam
- Come in a pack of 200 pairs
- May feel small in the ear
- Hard to insert
- May not fit perfectly
6. Etymotic ER20XS High-Def Motorsport EarplugsBest Ear Plugs for Motorsports
If motorsports are your thing, then these corded ear plugs from Etymotic will be a great addition to your gear. They have a new and improved low profile stem-less design that takes the shape of your outer ear. The short, discreet stem makes them comfortable to wear under a hat or helmet. The re-usable ear plugs have a flexible pull tab for easy retrieval.
They are made of generic foam material which boasts of advanced filter technology that effectively protects your ear while providing you with clear communication. The technology used on these ear plugs effectively reduces the noise by 20 decibels. The pack comes with a pair of the ear plugs, three flange ear tips with removable tabs included, a neck cord and carrying case.
- Ergonomic, stem-less design
- Advanced filter technology
- Includes a neck cord and carrying case
- Not ideal for sleeping or shooting
- The rating for noise reduction is low
- Comfort inside the ear could be improved
7. Eargasm High Fidelity EarplugsBest Silicone Ear Plugs
Going for a loud music concert or party? Then it’s important to bring along these high fidelity ear plugs from Eargasm to protect your ears from loud noise. The plugs have an innovative attenuation filter whose patent is pending which is designed to provide you with ultimate ear protection while giving you a rich sound. The ear plugs have multiple shell sizes that provide you with a great and comfortable fit.
The ear plugs are made of soft silicone which is hypo-allergic to accommodate sensitive ears. The low profile design is discreet and almost invisible to others. The ear plugs have a noise reduction rating of 21 decibels which will reduce the volume and not tamper with the quality of the sound. The plugs can be easily carried around using the provided carrying case.
- Patent-pending attenuation filter
- Comes in multiple shell sizes
- Low profile design
- Not a great fit for small ears
- Difficult to insert and remove
- Not economical
8. EarJoy Noise Cancelling Ear PlugsBest Noise Cancelling Ear Plugs
For ultimate noise cancelling and ear protection, then EarJoy is the way to go. The silicone ear plugs are soft on the ear and provide you with a comfortable fit. They come in a set of three pairs in different colors which you can carry with you when travelling or at work. The ear plugs are barely noticeable and have a retrieval cord that makes removing them easy. They have a wide scope of application including sleeping, reading and flying.
- Cord for easy removal
- Soft on the ear
- Wide scope of application
- May not block out snoring 100%
- Squeeze fit for small ears
- All three are of different sizes
9. Honeywell Laser Lite High Visibility Disposable Foam EarplugsBest Ear Plugs for Noisy Industries
These ear plugs comes in a highly visible magenta and yellow color which is great especially in a work setting since they ensure that employees comply with the hearing safety rules. The ear plugs are self-adjusting and have a high noise reduction rating of 32 decibels. The ear plugs are designed to expand in your ear provides you with a comfortable fit and acts as a seal against external noise.
The contoured T-shape makes insertion and removal easy. They boast of a soil-resistant foam coating which repels dirty and ensures proper ear hygiene. These plugs are economical since the pack contains 200 pairs of ear plugs. Each of the ear plugs is individually sealed for increased hygiene.
- Highly visible
- Contoured T-shape design
- Individually wrapped for increased hygiene
- Not re-usable
- A bit narrow
- Not ideal for blocking out snoring
10. Flents Quiet Please Ear PlugsBest Latex Free Ear Plugs
Just like the name, the Flents Quiet Please Ear Plugs are what you need when you want some quiet time. The foam ear plugs are made using soft foam which is comfortable in the ear and will seal out any noise. They are latex-free making them ideal for sensitive ears. Each jar comes with 100 pairs of these comfy ear plugs. They have a noise reduction rating of 29 which will ensure that your ears are well protected against any loud noise.
- Latex free
- Made of soft foam
- Come in a pack of 100 pairs
- Difficult to insert and remove
- Not ideal for small ears
- Low noise cancelling ability
How to Choose the Best Ear Plug – Buying Guide
Noise pollution is everywhere; you may have a snoring partner, loud machinery at work, working in an office on a busy street or even a regular traveler across the globe. Excessive noise is a bother and can lead to ear damage. It has also been found that people exposed to loud noise tend to suffer from tinnitus which is a permanent ringing in one’s ear. For this reason, it’s important to invest in a pair of noise blockers such as ear muffs and ear plugs.
Benefits of Wearing Ear Plugs
- Ear protection – The most obvious benefit of investing in ear plugs is protecting your ears from damage which may be caused by excessive and constant exposure to noise.
- Better sleep – One of the major causes of sleep deprivation is noise which may come from a snoring partner or living in a noisy neighborhood. To catch the recommended number of hours of sleep, you can invest in ear plugs that will seal away the noise.
- For Musicians – Musicians are often prone to noise when performing and are encouraged to invest in ear plugs especially those specially designed for concerts too help prevent and protect their ears.
Types of Ear Plugs
There are numerous types of ear plugs available in the market and most are designed for different activities. You can have ear plugs specially designed for sleeping, flying, motorsports, industrial works, concerts and swimming among others. For all these categories, you will find different forms of ear plugs such as;
- Customized Ear plugs – These are mostly prescribed by doctors to aid in sleeping where they take a mold of your ear and have a manufacturer custom make a pair of ear plugs for you.
- Noise Plugs – These are designed be worn in a noisy environment such as around power tools and machinery, gun fire, explosives and heavy aircraft. They usually have a high noise reduction rating.
- Disposable Ear plugs – These are affordable plugs that help block noise and can be disposed after use. They are made using foam material and have to be thrown away after every use.
- Reusable Ear Plugs – Often made of soft, silicone material and can be cleaned after every use.
Factors to Consider When Buying Ear Plugs
Whether you are looking for noise blockers or ear protectors, there’s several factors to consider when choosing a pair of ear plugs. They include;
Material – The two common materials used to make ear plugs are silicone and foam. Silicone is sooth and soft and has a high noise reduction ability. Foam ear plugs are cushy and comfortable and can be worn for extended periods of time.
Corded or without cord – For sports such as motor sports and biking, the ear plugs are often designed with a cord to help hold them firmly in place. Cordless ear plugs often have a custom bell shape to ensure easy insertion and retrieval.
Noise Level – Another important consideration is the product’s Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) which refers to the amount of noise that the ear plug can block. The highest possible NRR for ear plugs is 33 decibels.
Hygiene – If you are prone to constant ear infections, you need to go for ear plugs with hypo-allergic properties. For sensitive ears, avoid plugs that have latex.
Fit – For ear plugs to work effectively, you have to pick the right fit for your ear canal. While most come in one size fits all, you may find those that are designed for small or large ears. To help with fit, some manufacturer are now embracing the bell shape which expand in one’s ear on insertion for a better fit.
Tips for Using Ear Plugs
People have always wondered about the safety of ear plugs. Some worry that the ear plug may get stuck in the ear, others believe that they cause ear infections while there are those who don’t believe in their effectiveness in reducing noise pollution. Here are a few tips to help you get the most out of your ear plugs;
- Clean your hands before touching the ear plug.
- When inserting the ear plug, roll it into a cylinder and gently slide it in
- Pull your ear outwards and upwards to help the ear plug fit right
- Hold the ear plug for about a minute after insertion to ensure it holds in place.
- For reusable ear plugs, always ensure that you clean them thoroughly before each use.
Noise pollution is nuisance and can lead to hearing problems. If you work in a noisy environment or need to enjoy some quiet in your life, it’s important to invest in a pair of ear plugs. We hope that our review has provided you with insight on the best ear plugs available in the market and you have even spotted a product that will meet your needs. Block out the noise and achieve increased productivity in your life.