Gone are the days of traditional fireplaces with chimneys that left a pile of ash after a night of warming up the house. Now, technology has brought the world an amazing appliance known as an electric fireplace that not only makes your home look elegant and stylish but also keeps the house warm in a cost-efficient manner. You no longer need to freeze over winter due to the high costs associated with adding a wooden fireplace.
Electric fireplaces have become a popular choice among homeowners due to their inexpensive and non-invasive nature. Since the fireplace doesn’t come with the high installation and maintenance costs of traditional fireplaces, you will get to enjoy some warmth and comfort during the cold season without breaking the bank.
There’s a wide range of electric fireplaces out there and you can get overwhelmed as you try to pick the ideal one for your home. We have scouted around and compiled a list of some of the best electric fireplaces that will turn your home in a warm and cosy space without much hassle. Let’s explore together.
Top 10 Electric Fireplaces Of 2019 Reviewed
1. R.W.FLAME 36″ Electric FireplaceBest For Home And Office Use
To add some warmth, ambiance, and elegance to your space, getting this freestanding electric fireplace insert is a great idea. It has a modern design with multiple operating styles including a touch screen on the front and over five burning log color modes to fit into the interior décor in your home. For the flames, you can choose from 5 brightness modes and 5-speed modes. Better yet, the automatic design can change the color and brightness of the flame automatically with a timer of between one to eight hours.
This stainless steel electric fireplace insert comes with 2 heat settings with dual energy saving modes of 750W and 1,500W which allows you to set the warmth in different rooms depending with the weather outside. You can be sure that you won’t get exorbitant electricity bills since the appliance comes with inbuilt energy saving LED technology.
For safety, this modern fireplace with a two-sided brick wall design boasts of an auto-shutoff feature that helps prevent overheating. Its infrared red heating system helps ensure the room remains naturally humid without being to dry. The appliance has an ETL approval certificate and comes with a seventy-inch power cable. For sure, your space will never be the same again with this modern fireplace with realistic looking flames and an amazing burning log effect.
- Advanced safety features
- Energy saving design
- Multiple operating modes
- Quite huge
- Flames don’t go way up
- The flame motor may make incremental noise
2. PuraFlame 30″ Western Electric Fireplace InsertBest Remote Controlled Fireplace
With remote control to adjust this electric fireplace from any part of your home, you will have an easy time keeping the house heated. It has inbuilt LED energy saving technology that will help keep the power bill down. The appliance also has an electric temperature control feature that allows for precise temperatures. The adjustable thermostat also helps with controlling the temperatures which range between 60 °F to 84 °F. For the flames, this fireplace insert consists of realistic looking resin logs that are on amber bed creating a beautiful illusion of fire.
The flames can be adjusted into 3 brightness modes which can operate with heat or without. The design is a three-sided brick wall and is available in three sizes; 26 inch, 30 inch and 33 inches. The insert is very easy to install and provides warmth for an area of up to 400 square feet.
- Electric power control
- Easy installation and removal
- Beautiful design
- Lacks the crackling sound of fire burning
- The heating element is faulty
- May not last long
3. e-Flame USA Aspen Electric Portable Fireplace StoveBest Portable Fireplace
Having a fireplace that you can move around your room is a great thing especially when you need warmth wherever you are in the house. It has a fashionable design with lightweight construction for easy portability. It’s specially designed to remain cool at all times so that you can easily move it where you want and works with all floor types.
It has a quiet fan that powers the heater with easy to adjust heat settings that allow for equal heat distribution. In the event that the fireplace is knocked over, there’s an auto shutoff feature to prevent it from overheating. Since the exterior remains cool at all times, you can comfortably and safely place décor and other home accessories on it.
The appliance has two heat settings which heat up fast and you easily switch to the no heat option and enjoy the visual display alone. At 1500 watts couple with a 6-foot power cable, the fireplace is easy to install and can be placed anywhere in the house.
- Easy to adjust heat settings
- Superb safety features
- May vibrate when the heater is on
- Quite small in size
- A bit pricey compared to other similar models
4. Duraflame DFS-450-2 Carleton Electric StoveBest Arched Design
The arched frame detailing and the beautiful display window makes this electric stoves one of the most appealing things that you can ever add to your space. It has a realistic flame effect and an ember bed which functions with or without the heat. The visual effects create an illusion of a fire that never goes off all year round.
Equipped with a 4,600 BTU heater, this electric fireplace has the ability to heat up a room measuring up to 400 square feet. Since the sides don’t get hot, it’s safe to have it in a room that has kids and even pets. To prevent overheating, the fireplace has an auto shutoff feature for added safety. It even has a safety tip-over switch that goes off when the fireplace is knocked over. The modern looking electric stove design will definitely add ambiance to your room even when it’s dull outside.
- Beautiful flame effect
- Safe even where there are kids and pets
- The sides don’t get hot
- The main vent does get hot
- May get noisy after some time
- May have an odor at first
5. DONYER POWER 14″ Mini Electric Tabletop FireplaceBest Mini Fireplace
At 14 inches, this electric fireplace maybe small in size but it’s capable of heating space of up to 500 square feet. It has internal LED design that gives an illusion of a real fireplace and has a voltage of 12 volts. It has three heat switches which help adjust the heat settings. For safety, the fireplace automatically switches off in the event of improper functioning of the internal components or when there’s overheating.
The appliance doesn’t need any installation and comes with a 1-year warranty for quality assurance. The intricate design blends in effortlessly with your room and has a steady base for stability and increased safety. It also has horizontal wind barriers at the top to ensure the stability of the wind flow. As much as it has a tabletop design, you can’t place heavy items on it such as a television.
- Auto shut off feature in case of overheating
- No installation needed
- Increased stability
- Plug gets quite hot and may even melt
- Can’t place heavy items on it
- May have an odor at first
6. Regal Flame 28″ Flat Ventless Heater Electric Fireplace
If you are looking for a multipurpose electric fireplace, then this Regal flame fireplace will be an ideal choice. It can be mounted into an existing fireplace or be used as a freestanding fireplace that can be placed anywhere in the room. With three heat options, you can choose between high, low or the no heat setting.
The LED internal design creates realistic looking flames that give an illusion of a traditional fireplace and comes with several dimming moods to suit the mood in the room. The fireplace operates 750 watts and 1,500 watts to generate 5,900 BTUs that can heat up a room measuring 450 square feet.
- Multiple mood settings
- Three heat options
- Can be mounted or used as free-standing
- Doesn’t dim low enough
- The fire illusion may look quite fake
- Doesn’t heat the room well enough
7. Touchstone 80014 – Sideline Electric FireplaceBest For Large Wall Mounting
Looking for a fireplace to mount on your wall that’s elegant and with a beautiful design? Then this sideline electric fireplace is a great choice and you can get even in 100 inches for an emphasized look. To mount it, you just need to create a simple frame on your wall and follow the easy to use manual that comes with the product.
The fireplace has two heat settings; high and low with heat vents strategically placed on the front panel. The five flame settings that can alternate from a dull ember light to a bright blaze depending on the mood. The appliance comes with faux fire logs and fake crystals for a more appealing look.
- Five flame settings
- Multiple Modes
- Realistic flames
- Complex to install
- May have some noises
- Quite pricey
8. XtremepowerUS Wall Mount Electrical Fireplace
To add some ambiance to your space, you can get this electric fireplace that has two heat settings at 1,500 watts and 750 watts. Its output is 5,600 BTUs which can keep a room of 450 square feet warm enough. It has a thermal overload protector with a 6-foot electric plug for easy operation. Has a beautiful illusion of a fire that adds warmth and elegance to any room.
- Thermal overload protector
- Easy to operate
- Doesn’t eat up space
- Not ideal for a huge room
- Remote control doesn’t come with batteries
- Some features may stop working over time
9. Golden Vantage 23″ Electric Fireplace
The fireplace is sturdily built using stainless steel and can be used for almost every occasion. You can use the fireplace with or without the heating element by adjusting the two settings on the front panel. It also comes with a remote control for easy operation from any part of the room. It also has LED dancing flames that mimic traditional fire flames.
- Two heat settings
- Remote controlled for easy operation
- The remote has issues
- No thermostat
- Can’t be timed
10. Ashley Furniture Signature Design
When mounted on a few select TV stands, this fireplace will bring life to your room. With six temperature settings, you can adjust it to the warmth that your room requires. There’s an overheating protector for added safety. The LED fire display can be adjusted using the remote control that brings to life the realistic looking flames.
- Versatile design
- Six temperature settings
- Overheating safety feature
- May not be ideal for very cold days
- The TV stand is bought separately
- Doesn’t come with an extension cord
Electric Fireplaces Buying Guide
Nothing is as catastrophic and depressing as a house without proper heating during winter or when it’s cold outside. Not only do you risk contracting cold-related diseases such as pneumonia but it also makes your home one dull place. Traditionally, every home was fitted with a log fireplace that had a chimney that came with expensive installation and maintenance costs.
Let’s not forget the pile of ash that is usually left behind after a night of warming the house.
However, with advancement in technology, there’s now the electric fireplace that’s not only cheap to maintain but it also helps keep your power bill down. The internal technology in this appliance is built to mimic a traditional fireplace minus the smoke and other inconveniences.
Types of Electric Fireplaces
- Wall Mount Fireplaces – These can be hung directly on your wall through the construction of a low profile integration frame. The sizes for such fireplaces can range from 36 inches to 120 inches.
- Electric Fireplace Inserts – The design of such fireplaces allows for inserting into an outdated fireplace or existing masonry space. All you need to do is plug them in and you can say goodbye to wood/ logs.
- Freestanding/ Mantel Electric Fireplace – These are portable fireplaces that can be placed in any part of the room. They are often small in size and usually have a classic looking design.
Factors to Consider When Shopping for an Electric Fireplace
Before settling on a particular fireplace appliance, here’s a number of things to keep in mind:
- Heater type – Usually there are three types of the heater; fan-forced, convection, radiant or micathermic heaters. Convection provide even heat in the whole room, radiant are designed to heat up small spaces, fan-forced heaters use an internal fan to power the heating element while micathermic heaters provide quick heating over a large area thus saving space.
- Heating capacity – It’s important to keep in mind the area that the fireplace is expected to warm up. This is usually determined by the wattage rating where ideally each square foot requires 10 watts of heating power to warm up.
- Energy efficiency – One of the key benefits of an electric fireplace is that it keeps power bills low. Most of these appliances are fitted with energy saving technology but the majority of the portable ones may lack such features.
- Safety features – Without proper monitoring, the portable heaters can topple over. It’s important for them to have an automatic shut off in case of such events to prevent any fire accidents. It’s also important to consider whether the side of the electric fireplace gets hot when heating especially in a home with kids or pets.
For sure, the popularity of electric fireplaces has risen in recent years especially with most of the urban population living in apartments where there are no chimneys. For sure these modern appliances add ambiance and elegance to any space. You no longer have to worry about the high cost of installing a traditional fireplace. Hopefully, this review was a wonderful guide and has provided some insight on the best electric fireplaces to add some warmth to your home.