Before there was derailleurs and freewheels, fixed gear bikes or ‘fixies’ as they are adoringly called, ruled the cycling world. These bikes are considered the grandfathers of the world of bicycles. Fixies never run out of fashion and there are those bike lovers who wouldn’t cycle anything else.
To help you understand the place of fixed gear bikes in the cycling world, just look at the difference between driving a manual transmission car compared to an automatic car. Fixies allow the cyclist to be in control of the pedals such that pedaling forward pushes the wheels in front while backward pedaling reverses the bike.
Fixed gear bikes have a simplistic design and have been credited for making cycling fun. The bikes have a single gear and can have between zero to a maximum of two brakes. With so many types of fixed gear bikes out there, you can get overwhelmed and confused about the fixie for you. In here, we have compiled a number of some of the best fixed gear bikes available in the market to help you make the right cycling decision. Have a look.
Top 9 Fixed Gear Bikes Of 2019 Reviewed
1. 6KU Aluminum Single-Speed FixieBest For Urban Areas
The team at 6KU is on a mission to help cyclists own quality bikes without too much financial strain. True to their word, you will get value for money with this aluminum fixie that’s so lightweight you can easily carry it over your shoulder during your ride. The double wall alloy wheels and Flip Flop Hub give this bike superior performance as you race through the town.
The fixie has risen handling bars instead of drop ones to help you quickly navigate the city.
It also has features such as dropouts made of stainless steel for increased durability, smooth welds and an attractive design from all angles. You can choose from five beautifully created colors and three sizes of 51cm, 58cm and 61 cm. Whether you use this fixie as your everyday transportation or cycle it once in a while, you will definitely get value for your money.
- Ultra-light in weight
- Easy navigation handlebars
- Well lubricated
- Pedals are of fairly cheap quality
- Wobbly wheel reflectors
- No place to mount the front reflector
2. Big Shot Bikes Prime Line CollectionBest For Men and Women
One of the selling points of fixies is simplicity and the Prime Line Collection by Big Shot captures this perfectly through this bike. With four sophisticated styles; Copenhagen White, Dakar Yellow, Dublin Matte Black and Kyoto Gray you will definitely stand out with this fixie. The track bike has the look of a traditionally fixed gear bike but the race track-inspired performance of a modern bike.
The bullhorn modification ensures maximum comfort for a smooth ride while the front and rear brakes are designed to ensure a smooth stop. The bike’s 43mm rims complete the beautiful look of this fixie. You have the option for single speed or fixed gear with a minimal mechanism where you simply remove the back tire to switch to single speed. The bike is available in small (52cm), medium (56cm) and large (60cm) sizes so there’s something for every cycling enthusiast.
- Solid steel frame construction
- Excellent braking ability
- Dual purpose – Fixed gear & single speed
- Takes long to assemble
- Quite heavy
- No space for water bottles
3. Pure Fix Original Fixed GearBest For Beginners
Offering a combination speed, style, and simplicity, this bike has been labeled a best seller by its manufacturers. Its simple design has a flip flop hub which allows you the option to ride as a fixed gear or a freewheel. As a fixie, you will get to enjoy total bliss as you connect and fully control your bike. The front has dual alloy brakes which makes stopping as easy and safe as possible. The brand’s signature saddle will ensure maximum comfort as you cruise through the city.
This fixie is also easily customizable where you have the option of adding handlebars, water bottle holders and foot straps which you can obtain from this manufacturer at an extra fee. Since the bike comes 90% assembled, putting it all together is easy with minimal maintenance required. The bike also comes with a lifetime warranty while the components have a one-year limited warranty.
- Lifetime warranty
- Comes 90% assembled
- Fairly expensive
- Saddle a bit too curved
- Geometry is a bit off
4. Retrospec Critical Cycles ClassicBest For Women
Outdoor lovers will find this bike amazing due to its superior performance. It has drop bars which you can easily lean into as you cycle. The bullhorns give this bike a modern look while greatly adding to the awesome riding experience. It comes in a selection of three colors; Celeste, Matte Black, and White, which has made it a favorite among women. Assembling it is also pretty straight forward thanks to the detailed instruction manual.
- Easy to assemble
- Superior performance
- Sturdy construction
- Limited color range
- Noisy brakes
- Not for rough handling
5. Takara Sugiyama Flat Bar Fixie Bike
KENT brings you this simple yet good performing fixie that will ensure that you enjoy your cycling experience in every possible manner. It’s equipped with front and rear brakes for easy halting while its 700c alloy wheels are built to spin at the best possible speed. The flat bar handlebar has a comfortable grip and helps you remain in control of the bike.
The bike looks solid with a flip flop hub in the rear which helps you switch between single speed and a fixed gear with ease. The frame is made of tig welded steel frame and fork that gives the bike a sturdy build. It comes in three bright colors and you have the option to choose between small, medium and large.
- Simple design
- Good braking system
- Solid construction
- Requires a lot of adjustment
- Seat is a bit hard
- Doesn’t ride well on gravel
6. SE Bikes Draft Lite Single Speed BikeBest For Urban Youthful Riders
Just by looking at this bike, you will be reminded of how bikes originally looked before the onset of the modern mountain bikes and other new designs. The model may have a traditional look but is built for the modern cyclist with a single speed and fixed gear design that will leave you cruising the city at incredible speeds. The wheels have a wide tire clearance for better stability while top and down tubes are butted for improved performance.
The front is equipped with left and right Promax alloy brakes with 2-finger levers for efficient braking. The wheels have double-wall rims and have innovative removable SE cable clips for smooth riding. The seat is comfortable and has an integrated bottle opener. You can choose between three colors and three sizes. Its burly aerodynamics will give you a memorable cycling experience every time you ride the Draft Lite.
- Wide tire clearance
- Innovative design
- Integrated bottle opener
- Takes time to adjust to its riding angle
- Assembly may take quite some time
- Its paint chips easily
7. Golden Cycles Single Speed / Fixed Gear BikeBest for Daily Commuters
For those who like keeping healthy and cycling to work, then you will find this bike a perfect match. With over 35 colors to choose from, you are really spoilt for choice here. This affordable bike combines the features of a single speed bike with those of a fixie. The bike has both rear and front brake for precise stopping. Boasting of a tig-welded steel frame, this bike is built to last a lifetime without losing its incredible performance.
The 130 BCD crank is stiff and strong for a smooth ride with 46 tooth 1/8th chainring. As you move around each day with this well-built bike, you will help the brand achieve its mission of creating a sustainable planet through cycling.
- Solid steel frame
- Precise braking
- Strong crank
- Needs some realignment
- Geometry of the handlebars is off
- Can’t withstand hard cycling
8. Vilano Rampage Fixed Gear Bike
The urban geometry on this bike is on point and will add to your urban look as you cruise through town. The crank is set with 46 teeth replaceable chainring that comes well lubricated. The 45mm double walled rims are well set on the anodized wheels which have matching anodized hubs. The handlebar has a rise bar so that you can lean in for a better cruise. Comes in four colors.
- Advanced geometry
- Anodized wheels for a sleek look
- Both single speed and fixed gear
- Pedals wear out fast
- Assembly is a headache for some
- Requires quite a lot of maintenance
9. Retrospec Harper Single-Speed Fixed GearBest For Urban Commuters
The Retrospec is a perfect blend for a cyclist looking for the stylish qualities of a fixie and the ease of a single speed bike. The tag-welded steel frame is hand made with a high tensile strength that absorbs bumps for a smooth ride. It also has quality 30mm deep-v rims with a KMC chain ring and freestyle pedals. The 700 by 28c tires are puncture resistant and designed to absorb shock even on uneven pavement.
The upright handlebars ensure an upright posture as you ride which allows you to comfortably ride for longer. Has Promax front and rear brakes that help you have more control over your ride. It’s also a low maintenance bike due to the few components used to make it. The bike comes with all the components you require to start cruising around your area.
- Easy assembly
- Good even on uneven roads
- Low maintenance
- Some components are generic
- Seat clamp is not the best quality
- Braking may be noisy
Fixed Gear Bikes Buying Guide
For the past few years, many people have embraced cycling due to two main reasons; healthy living and planet sustainability. More than ever before, urban dwellers are commuting to work using bicycles rather than spend countless hours in traffic. Many of these cyclists prefer fixies or rather fixed gear bikes rather than freewheelers which are a favorite among professional cyclists. In simple terms, a fixie is a bike whose gear and pedal are affixed such none can operate independently.
Why Choose a Fixie?
There’s a number of reasons why fixed gear bikes have become so popular especially among urban riders. They include:
- Price – Fixies are cheaper since they have much lesser parts.
- Safety – Due to the technical nature of riding a fixie, it’s less likely to be stolen once you leave it parked in public.
- Low maintenance – You simply need to regularly oil and tighten as part of your maintenance routine.
- Better efficiency – Since you are the one working the pedals, you are in better control of your ride resulting in increased efficiency.
- Maneuverability – Due to a fixie’s great braking system, you can easily maneuver especially where there’s heavy traffic.
Stuff to Keep an Eye On When Looking for a Fixie
- Material – The material used to make the bike’s frame is important since it determines the weight and overall performance of the bike. The two common materials often used are; steel which is very durable or aluminum which is light in weight.
- Skill level – If it’s the first time riding a bike, you may opt to go for a fixed gear bike with a flip flop hub that easily switches to a single speed for better riding.
- Geometry – You need to pay attention to the bike’s geometry to ensure that you are okay with the riding angle to prevent any accidents.
- Components –While many cyclists often change the parts of their bikes, one that comes with quality components is a plus especially quality pedals and functional brakes.
All said and done, cycling a Fixie is a memorable experience that leaves you healthy and absolutely thrilled. Once you master to maneuver and properly coordinate the pedals with the gear, you may never want any other form of transportation. Hopefully, you have spotted the best-fixed gear bike for your riding needs that will transform your riding experience.