There’s nothing more inviting and fulfilling than spending some quality time in the great outdoors. Whether you are looking to enjoy a nice outdoor experience in the comfort of your own backyard or out in the woods building a roaring campfire, there are two things you can never miss to bring: a huge appetite and one of the best flat top grills!
Bringing a huge appetite is no problem, but finding a good flat top grill is! Owing to the many flat top grills available out there, getting the perfect fit can be a real hassle. You have to browse through dozens of options with different features, making it difficult for you to make a wise decision. But don’t worry, folks – we are here to help you get the perfect option for your needs. We have done the hard job, giving you the best flat top grills to make your next outdoor experience more than awesome. We have also included a few handy tips you should consider to get the right models.
Top 10 Flat Top Grills of 2020 Reviewed
- Top 10 Flat Top Grills of 2020 Reviewed
- 1.Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
- 2. Blackstone 1554 Station-4-burner-Propane
- 3. Blackstone Table Top Grill – 17 Inch Portable Gas Griddle
- 4. VBENLEM 20-Inch Commercial Griddle Grill Non-Stick Gas Countertop Griddle
- 5. Cuisinart CGG-501 Gourmet Gas Griddle
- 6. Royal Gourmet Regal GB4000 4 Burner Propane Gas Grill Griddle
- 7. Royal Gourmet Portable Propane Gas Grill and Griddle Combo
- 8. Royal Gourmet Regal GB2000 2 Burner Propane Gas Grill Griddle
- 9. ATOSA US ATMG-24 Commercial Griddle
- 10. Double Propane Burner Stove Flat Top Taco Grill
- How to Choose the Best Flat Top Grill: The Ultimate Buying Guide
1.Camp Chef Flat Top GrillBest Restaurant-Grade Flat Top Grill for Chefs
Designed with four 12,000 BTU burners and a cool 604 sq. grilling surface, the Camp Chef Flat Top Grill guarantees to suit your day-to-day grilling experience. It’s big enough and offers sufficient cooking speed to allow you to grill enough food for your entire family and a few friends or relatives coming over for the weekend.
Most grills tend to be a headache when it comes to cleaning. This is not the case with the Camp Chef Flat Top Grill. The griddle comes with stainless steel hoods designed over the burners, directing the hard-to-clean grease into a management system. And for more storage options, the unit provides to under-griddle shelves, allowing you to keep your grilled items awaiting serving.
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Large cooking space
- Four burners with independent temperature controls
- Parts of the grill may not heat up evenly
- Come with only two wheels, making it a bit hard to move
- Package doesn’t include a grill cover
2. Blackstone 1554 Station-4-burner-PropaneBest Professional-Grade Flat Top Grill
The Blackstone 1554 Station-4-burner-Propane is a professional-grade flat top grill you’ll probably see in restaurants and other food joints. Featuring four stainless steel burners providing an incredible 60,000 BTUs and a huge 420 sq. surface, it’s the unit you’ll need for serious grilling! It’s perfect for parties, family get-togethers, or those afternoon grills with friends and neighbors.
And there’s more! The propane-powered grill is designed with cold-rolled steel to help with heat retention, allowing for more even cooking. This unit guarantees a better and tastier grilling experience than your ordinary electric grill.
- Four burners for customized grilling
- Sturdy and durable grill slate
- Large grilling surface that’s easy to clean
- The large size makes it a bit heavy
- Package doesn’t include a grill cover
- Drip tray mounted on the side makes it hard to manage grease
3. Blackstone Table Top Grill – 17 Inch Portable Gas GriddleBest Portable Gas Griddle
If portability is your main concern, then you will love the Blackstone 17 Inch Portable Gas Griddle. Measuring about half the size of its big sibling – the Blackstone 1554 Station-4-burner-Propane – this gas griddle comes with a generous 260 sq. cooking surface, which is big enough for small families.
The unique selling point of this flat top grill is its simplicity. It features a simple grease management system, is easy to store, and comes with a 12,000 BTU burner designed for even heat distribution. It’s the perfect griddle for those camping getaways with your partner.
- H-shaped burner for even heat distribution
- Griddle surface is designed to flip over for easy storage and safe travel
- The all-steel build makes it easy to clean
- Smaller cooking surface for larger food volumes
- Grease cup is small, so might need regular emptying
- Lacks a preparation space
4. VBENLEM 20-Inch Commercial Griddle Grill Non-Stick Gas Countertop GriddleBest non-stick gas countertop griddle
Whether in a canteen, chain store, snack bar, or home, you need a flat-top grill capable of cooking most food types. We present to you the best non-stick gas countertop griddle by VBENLEM. With a total heat capacity of 50,000 BTU, this grill has two controls that work independently to set the temperature to levels suitable for cooking different dishes. That’s why you can use it for cooking bacon, beef, chicken, fish, grilled cheese, and pancakes at the same time. It has a 0.3-inch heating plate with an expansive cooking area of 19.7 by 13.0 inches so that you can cook a lot of food at a go.
The VBENLEM griddle is a commercial-grade machine that is built to last. The stainless steel structure is durable, corrosion-resistant, and food grade. That means you will use it for a long time without the need for significant repairs or replacement. As you cook the food, the food debris and grease will trickle down into the waste tray. That makes this grill extremely easy to clean—no need to worry about your furniture or walls getting smudge in grease. The restaurant comes with a convenient splash-proof plate on which excess oil bounces.
- A powerfully built grill that promises to last long
- Heat controls make it possible to cook different dishes at the same time
- Has a waste tray that collects food debris and grease
- Some users reported uneven cooking
- Reports of the surface beginning to rust after a short time of use
- Some users reported receiving a damaged grill
5. Cuisinart CGG-501 Gourmet Gas GriddleBest Two-Burner Gas Griddle for Camping
Thinking of having an additional item in your RVs, patio or the balcony? Now, here’s the good news; The Cuisinart CGG-501 Gourmet Gas Griddle has got you covered. This gas griddle offers you 285 square inches of cooking surface producing 20,000 BTUs with its burners. For your camping or mall gatherings, this kitchen arsenal will solve all your heating needs as it also offers cooking other foods over the burners independently.
The surface is steel made that’s extra thick. The easy to use burners come with twist ignition control knobs that ensure that you are in charge of what you’re cooking. For its price, this unit guarantees that you get to enjoy your outdoor grilling without feeling a pinch in your wallet!
- Portable and easily stored- horizontally or vertically
- Comes already assembled
- Burners can only heat up to 20,000 BTUs
- Stainless steel is quite light
- Dome is quite shallow for big hams
6. Royal Gourmet Regal GB4000 4 Burner Propane Gas Grill GriddleBest Heavy Duty Gas Grill Griddle
When it comes to portability and convenience, the Royal Gourmet Regal GB4000 4 Burner Propane Gas Grill Griddle will perfectly fit in your choice of a home grill. The 4-burner unit offers you 660” squared cooking area and comes with a very hefty cooking plate that makes it durable. A notable feature of this grill is the amazingly big grease collector that is under the firebox, which is designed to make cleaning hassle-free.
The grill is designed with a black steel frame coated in black powder and four caster wheels that keep it sturdy even on rugged terrain. For additional working space, the grill offers foldable side trays and extra shelves at the bottom for your storage, as you prepare your sumptuous meats!
- Perfect heat flow that is consistent
- Highly mobile with its four industrial-material made wheels
- Stainless control panel with an electronic igniter.
- Does not come with a grill cover
- No propane tank secure storage as it comes with a hook only
- Heavy top that makes it hard to clean
7. Royal Gourmet Portable Propane Gas Grill and Griddle ComboBest Gas Grill and Griddle Combo
Now, for those of us who want to have all our cooking in one unit, the Royal Gourmet Portable Propane Gas Grill is a must-have. It features four steel burners, each offering you a cool 12,000BTU on every meal you make.
The unit also features an in-built grease channel that comes with a mobile drip pan making cleaning a dump-and-rinse affair. The side trays will give you space to place your delicious meals beautifully, and can also be used as cooling spots for the very hot meals. The frame is another spectacular design. There’s a towel rack that is placed beside hooks for all your hangings.
- The double cooking surface of flat griddle and grill
- Foldable cart frame for easy transportation and storage
- Four steel burners
- Small cooking surface
- No shelves at the bottom for storage
- No warming racks
8. Royal Gourmet Regal GB2000 2 Burner Propane Gas Grill GriddleBest Backyard Flat Top Grill for Small Families
Do you want a small unit that will offer you a quick heating solution? The Royal Gourmet Regal GB2000 2 Burner Propane Gas Grill Griddle will be your choice. This unit offers you a maximum cooling power of 26,000 BTU and a cool 434 square inches to give your grills an amazing crispy taste.
With its foldable side tables, you don’t have to worry about working space for your spices and seasonings. A big grease collector under the firebox assures you of a durable grill. To cap it all, the unit can be easily wheeled away on its 4 caster wheels, at your convenience!
- 434 square inches for all your family cooking
- Quite cheap for its features
- Strong legs on assemblage give it a solid sturdy.
- A bit hectic to clean as its too consoled
- Small for cooking big meals
- Quite heavy to assemble and lift
9. ATOSA US ATMG-24 Commercial GriddleBest Commercial-Grade Two Burner Griddle
When you think of grills that are efficient, durable and of exceptional performance, the ATOSA US ATMG-24 Commercial Griddle should be among your choices, and for a good reason. This kitchen giant brags of 24’’ gas griddle and a 3/4” steel plate that’s polished to enhance durability. This unit has an amazing heat storage function and with its manual control, you will save energy when grilling your foods.
With its stainless steel material, this unit will save you time to clean. It’s also corrosion resistant and very durable. You wouldn’t be wrong to say that it’s a kitchen toy for every chef or for anyone who wants to make grilling fun at the backyard.
- Stainless steel build makes it durable
- Easy to clean and hard to corrode
- Energy efficient
- Lacks wheels to move around
- A bit pricey
- Comes with only two burners
10. Double Propane Burner Stove Flat Top Taco GrillBest Portable Flat Top Grill for Backyard/Patio
If you are looking for a simple flat top grill that doesn’t dent your pockets, then this is a great option to consider. The Double Propane Burner Stove Flat Top Grill measures a cool 32 x 17 inches, allowing you to make your favorite foods for the whole family. It’s made from heavy-duty stainless steel and comes with a nice groove design, allowing for the efficient disposal of grease/oil.
- Durable stainless steel material
- Large cooking surface
- Simple, portable design
- May difficult to balance/sit properly on the ground
- The burner’s knob may constantly fall off with a lot of pressure
- Only two burners, so heat doesn’t distribute evenly
How to Choose the Best Flat Top Grill: The Ultimate Buying Guide
You’ve made the right decision to buy a flat top grill – whether you are looking to enjoy the convenience of this griddle for those backyard parties or one to spice up that camping or hiking trip you are planning.
We are going to look at several tips that will go a long way in helping you make an informed decision when purchasing a flat top grill.
There are smaller flat top grills measuring around 24 sq inches that are more budget-friendly that allow you to make enough dishes for your small families. These are usually very portable and designed for easy storage. If you want a more serious grilling unit that will let you prepare foods for a larger crowd, say for parties or family get-togethers, you can opt to go for the much larger versions that measure around 36 square inches.
Gas Vs. Electric Powered
Since most flat top grills are made for portability and convenience, you will find them using propane gas (which you have to purchase separately). This, however, doesn’t mean that you can’t find electric models, no. Some units allow you to use our outlet and make breakfast or lunch indoors or outdoors.
Number of Burners
Flat top grills come with a different number of burners, some offering as little as 12,000 BTU, while others providing as much as 24,000 BTU. BTU (British Thermal Unit) is simply a measure of energy/heat content that the burners produce. The higher the BTU, the more heat a grill produces. If you go for a model with just a single or two burners, it may be hard to get different heat zones, which are important for even cooking. If you are cooking for a larger crowd, you might want to get a unit with about four burners, which allow you to control the heat on each independently. This lets you keep things warm on one side and hot on the other, or maintain even heat on the cooking surface.
Do you want a flat top grill that you can only use on your backyard with minimal movements? Prefer a unit that you can pack in your car’s trunk and take it with you on your next camping trip?
Well, portable grills are a great concern, depending on what you intend to use the flat top grill for. While most of these units come with some sort of wheels allowing for easy movement, some are more portable and can be carried with ease. If you are buying one with wheels, ensure that you check that they are the best quality and won’t break when moving a heavy grill from one location in your backyard to another.
Ease of Maintenance and Cleaning
Generally, flat top grills are easy to maintain and clean compared to the traditional grates, because there are fewer crannies and nooks where food can hide. But don’t get it wrong. These units do retain grease as well.
A good flat top grill should have an effective grease management system to ensure that the food cooks well and the cleaning the unit afterward won’t be a headache. With most units, all you need to do is wipe the surface using a sponge or a cloth and then emptying the grease collector once the job is done.
The thickness of Cooking Plate
The cooking plate of most flat top grills is usually made from cast iron or stainless steel. Whatever material you get, ensure that it’s thick enough to allow more consistent heating. Most restaurant-grade griddles are about 0.75-inches thick.
Types of Food to Cook
A flat top grill isn’t your regular outdoor grill. It’s designed to grill different types of foods – from eggs and pancakes to meats to tapas and kebabs.
Now, here’s the catch. A good number of these grills are designed to work as just griddles, providing you with a pan-like surface to make foods like vegetables and breakfast items. Well, there are others designed to provide you with both regular grilling and pan-like grilling. This means you can grill your pork chops and beef the traditional way and get those sear marks. It depends on what you want.
A flat top grill is a great addition to your home. It will come in handy on that Saturday morning when you need some pancakes, bacon or eggs for breakfast, or that lazy afternoon when you just want to sit and enjoy some grilled food and beer. And when you are going out for camping or hiking, you can get a portable model and do your own grilling as you enjoy the great outdoors. Just use our information to choose the right model for you and make life worth living!