If you’ve finally gotten the cutlery set you’ve been salivating over for the longest time, that’s great. But have you thought about how you’re going to store them? Because your silverware isn’t going to stay ideal if you don’t take care of it. Ain’t no way should you just put them in a kitchen drawer willy-nilly. What you need is a flatware organizer, better known as a cutlery tray or silverware tray.
Unfortunately, not just any flatware organizer would do. Some would be too small, others too large. Some are made of metal while a few are constructed out of bamboo. To make things easier for you, we went through all of the popular cutlery trays on Amazon and found the best of the best that would also fit almost any kitchen out there. Now all you have to do is choose from the 10 best flatware organizers on our list. Happy reading!
Top 10 Flatware Organizers Of 2019 Reviewed
- Top 10 Flatware Organizers Of 2019 Reviewed
- 1. Bellemain 100% Pure Bamboo Expandable Tray
- 2. Totally Bamboo Large Expandable Cutlery Tray & Drawer Organizer
- 3. Rubbermaid No-Slip Silverware Tray Organizer
- 4. Joseph Joseph DrawerStore Expandable Cutlery Tray
- 5. OXO Good Grips Large Expandable Utensil Organizer
- 6. Utopia Kitchen Bamboo Cutlery tray
- 7. Madesmart Large Silverware Tray
- 8. OXO Good Grips Adjustable Drawer Organizer
- 9. Masirs Metal Adjustable Drawer Organizer
- 10. Storage Technologies Mesh Cutlery Tray
- How To Choose The Best Flatware Organizer
1. Bellemain 100% Pure Bamboo Expandable Tray
If you have a considerable amount of silverware already and you still plan on adding a little bit here and there over the years, you’ll be glad to know that there are flatware organizers that can grow with you. Bellemain offers a 100% bamboo tray that has 6 compartments with 2 additional ones that can be slid out on the side, giving you a total of 8 compartments. It can fit a silverware set that’s good for 12 people.
- 2-year 100% Money Back Guarantee
- Eco-friendly material – bamboo
- Initial chemical or varnish smell that fades
- Slides in the drawer
- Shallow compartments
2. Totally Bamboo Large Expandable Cutlery Tray & Drawer Organizer
If you don’t need that many compartments or your kitchen drawer is smaller, we’ve got another bamboo option for you. This expandable tray from Totally Bamboo is, you guessed it, totally made out of renewable organic Moso bamboo. No paint, varnish, or any chemicals added to it. It has 5 compartments, the 2 outer ones are adjustable. Aside from looking really cool, the bamboo tray is easy to clean, just wipe it down with a damp cloth and you’re done! And the company even offers a 100% Satisfaction Replacement Warranty.
- Eco-friendly bamboo
- 100% Satisfaction Replacement Warranty
- Durability issues
- The compartments are a bit shallow (less than 2 inches)
- Will rot when exposed to water or moisture
3. Rubbermaid No-Slip Silverware Tray Organizer
Functional and modern, this Rubbermaid No Slip Silverware Organizer comes with 5 compartments with 2 adjustable ones. It’s made of plastic and dishwasher-safe which makes it easier to clean. And there’s a non-slip bottom so it won’t slide whenever you open and close the drawer.
- High-quality plastic
- Expandable tray
- Narrow compartments
- Not easy to adjust
- The non-slip bottom doesn’t prevent sliding
4. Joseph Joseph DrawerStore Expandable Cutlery Tray
Yes, we’ve got another expandable tray on our list but this one is definitely different. The DrawerStore comes with a removable compartment that locks into place when attached. And you can easily expand the tray to fit a variety of drawer sizes – from 11.4 to 18.85 inches. In addition to all that, you have this extra little square compartment that you can place in any of the other compartments to create a small container for small odds and ends.
- Deep-sided compartments
- Locks into place
- Fit various drawer sizes
- Slides inside the drawer
- Too wide for some drawers
- A bit expensive for a plastic tray
5. OXO Good Grips Large Expandable Utensil Organizer
This is for people who really love everything to stay in its place. While all our other picks will allow you to store your utensils in their own compartments, it can still look a bit messy when you open and close the drawer as the silverware does slide inside each compartment. Well, not with this tray from OXO. Like what its name implies, this tray grips your utensils, ensuring that they remain in a neat little stack inside their compartment. As an added bonus, you get one expandable tray on the side (from 15 1/2 inches to a width of 22 inches) for more storage options.
- Expandable tray
- Movable guide rails for gripping the utensils
- Non-slip feet
- Non-slip feet doesn’t prevent slipping
- Difficult to fit utensils with rounded stems
- Expandable tray doesn’t stay locked in place
6. Utopia Kitchen Bamboo Cutlery tray
If you want a bamboo tray that’s affordable and non-adjustable, then this one from Utopia Kitchen is just what you’re looking for. It fits most standard-sized drawers measuring at 13.7 by 9.8 by 2.3 inches. There are 5 compartments in the tray which allows you to store the various types of cutlery you have. And it’s completely made of eco-friendly bamboo that’s been FDA and FSC approved.
- 100% renewable bamboo
- Spacious compartments
- FDA and FSC approved (food grade and food safe)
- Requires minimal exposure to water/moisture
- Durability issues (dividers are glued not nailed down)
- Slides when drawer is opened and closed
7. Madesmart Large Silverware Tray
This is the #1 Bestseller in Amazon for utensil organizers and we can confirm that this product does deliver. It offers 6 compartments rather than the usual 5. It’s stylish with an internal overmold, rounded corners, and granite color. The internal overmold keeps the cutlery from sliding around in their compartments while the non-slip rubber feet ensure that the entire tray doesn’t move inside the drawer. And the best part is the extra-wide compartment that allows you to store odd-shaped or bulky items such as bottle openers, corkscrews, and can openers.
- Internal mold prevents utensils clanging inside the compartments
- Granite theme is stylish and fits contemporary kitchens
- Non-slip rubber feet
- Might be too large for some drawers
- Shallow containers which limits capacity
8. OXO Good Grips Adjustable Drawer Organizer
If you like the option to customize the compartments of your tray, then this OXO Good Grips Adjustable Drawer Organizer is right up your alley. It comes with 6 movable dividers that you can pinch and lock into place so you can set how much space each compartment should have. The tray also expands from 12 inches to 20 inches to fit a variety of kitchen drawers. And it has non-slip feet to prevent the tray from sliding around your drawer.
- Customizable and expandable
- Non-slip feet
- Fits most drawers
- The expandable tray doesn’t stay locked in place
- No option to buy extra dividers
- There are some limitations to how it can be customized
9. Masirs Metal Adjustable Drawer Organizer
If plastic and wood aren’t your things, we’ve got a metal tray you might be interested in. Masir’s tray is incredibly customizable because it comes with 20(!) metal dividers. The mesh steel construction will not rust and allows your cutlery to get the ventilation it needs to dry out. It features an elevated bottom that allows crumbs, dust, and water to slip through and not in contact with your silverware.
- Versatile (kitchen, office, crafts room, etc.)
- Can be divided into a maximum of 9 separate compartments
- Durable steel will not succumb to rust
- Some sharp spots that can scratch your drawer (or cut your finger)
- Slides inside the drawer
- Will not fit inside some drawers
10. Storage Technologies Mesh Cutlery Tray
If you still want a metal mesh tray but want to nix the customize feature, then Storage Technologies has a tray you’ll be interested in. The tray is constructed out of stainless steel with a silver epoxy coated finish for a modern, stylish design. It has 6 spacious compartments.
- Foam non-slip feet to prevent sliding
- Solid construction
- Easy to clean
- Too large for some drawers
- Large silverware don’t fit too well inside the compartments
- The edges are a bit sharp
How To Choose The Best Flatware Organizer
Everything’s about decluttering these days. And it should be. Because a cluttered environment exhausts your brain, increases your stress, and causes you to eat more. True story. Just imagine how much more food you’ll eat if your kitchen drawers are a mess? You obviously need a flatware organizer. But which one? Well, don’t cha worry. We’ve got your silverware covered.
What material do you prefer?
Plastic is the most popular material used in making flatware organizers. They are often cheaper but no less durable. Some are stylish such as the Rubbermaid No-Slip Silverware Tray Organizer and Joseph Joseph DrawerStore Expandable Cutlery Tray. And they aren’t vulnerable to moisture as much as wood or metal. You just need to ensure that the plastic is BPA-free as well as food grade.
Bamboo trays are another popular choice because let’s face it, it looks incredibly cool. Plus, bamboo is sustainable material making it an eco-friendly choice. However, it can’t take in any moisture as that way leads to wood rot. Two good examples of wooden flatware organizers are Bellemain 100% Pure Bamboo Expandable Tray and Utopia Kitchen Bamboo Cutlery tray.
Metal trays are often constructed in a mesh design to make sure that moisture doesn’t stay in the compartments and the silverware is well-ventilated. This kind of tray is quite possibly the most durable. However, some do have sharp edges that can scratch your drawer or, worse, you. If this is your thing, we recommend the Masirs Metal Adjustable Drawer Organizer.
How big should your tray be?
This is quite possibly the most important question of the day. Because if you plan on placing the flatware organizer inside your drawer, then it would be best to make sure that the tray fits. Another good reason for looking at the size of the tray is to ensure that it can hold all of the cutlery you’re planning on storing inside the tray.
How many compartments do you need?
Most cutlery trays have either 5 compartments or 8 compartments. Some like the Madesmart Large Silverware Tray offers 6 compartments – perfect for those looking for something in between. If you aren’t sure about the number, you can opt for an expandable tray such as the OXO Good Grips Large Expandable Utensil Organizer. Others like the OXO Good Grips Adjustable Drawer Organizer and Masirs Metal Adjustable Drawer Organizer comes with removable dividers so you can create your own compartments any way your little OC heart desires.
How easy is it to clean?
It’s important that you keep your tray clean (even just once in awhile) because you’ll be storing your utensils there. Stuff that will be touching your food and your mouth. The easiest choice would be to get a dishwasher-safe tray such as Rubbermaid No-Slip Silverware Tray Organizer. The Masirs Metal Adjustable Drawer Organizer is also a good choice because dust, crumbs, and little what-nots will just fall through the mesh design and onto the drawer because of the elevated bottom feature. Bamboo trays, on the other hand, cannot be washed. Instead, just wiping it down with a damp cloth should do. Keep in mind that some plastic trays are not dishwasher-safe and need to be hand washed with mild soap and water.
Whatever flatware organizer you do end up choosing, keep in mind that this is only the beginning. You’ll need to organize your cabinets, office space, living room, bedroom, etc if you want a clear, focused, productive mind that doesn’t cause you to get fat. But all those are things that can be discussed next time. Right?