We’ve all been there – We head to the kitchen, pick any pan or skillet and fry some nice food (eggs, veggies, meat – anything). But alas! The results are not as we expected. The food sticks on the pan; it turns too brown on one side, or worst yet – burn completely!
Problem? Well, definitely not your cooking skills! It could be the type of pan or skillet you are using! You see these two kitchen essentials come in different styles and materials, and some incorporate a very poor design to allow even cooking.
We are not trying to get you terrified when it comes to frying food using a pan or a skillet. We just want to help you pick the right one that will not disappoint. Go through our review and pick a good pan or skillet for your kitchen and showcase your cooking skills. You’ll be impressed – we guarantee it!
Best 10 Bar Carts of 2019 Reviewed
- Best 10 Bar Carts of 2019 Reviewed
- 1. Lodge 10.25 Inch Cast Iron Skillet
- 2. Presto 06857 16-inch Electric Foldaway Skillet
- 3. Cuisinart 622-30G Chef’s Classic Nonstick Hard-Anodized 12-Inch Skillet
- 4. Copper Chef 10 Inch Diamond Fry Pan
- 5. Anolon Nouvelle Copper Hard-Anodized Nonstick Twin Pack French Skillets
- 6. Copper Chef 10 Inch Round Frying Pan
- 7. Cuisinart CI22-24BG Chef’s Classic
- 8. All-Clad D3 Fry Pan with Lid, 10 Inch Pan
- 9. Stainless Steel Skillet with Glass Cover – 12 Inch
- 10. De Buyer MINERAL B Round Carbon Steel Fry Pan 12.5-Inch
- Choosing the Best Frying Pans and Skillets: The Ultimate Buying Guide
1. Lodge 10.25 Inch Cast Iron SkilletBest Cast Iron Skillet
No one wants to cook their food and have it stick on the pan. The Lodge Skillet boasts of cast iron which will retain the heat assuring you of controlled cooking. It has a diameter of 10.25 inches, which is large enough for you to sauté, broil, grill, sear, and fry. With the casted iron, all your foods will be evenly cooked and will not stick on the bottom.
The skillet is ideal for use on a stove, in the oven, over a campfire or even on a grill. With a seasoned oil finish, the skillet is easy to use and like fine wine, improves every single day you use it. A silicone handle protects your hands from burning and will handle up to 500 degrees of heat. It’s an easy to care pan as you only need to wash with mild soap, dry with a paper towel and apply a thin layer of vegetable.
- Guarantees even heating
- Long lasting cast iron make
- Can be used on the stove, grill, oven and even on campfires
- Does not come with a lid to cover it
- Plastic handle may melt with time
- Quite heavy to carry and move
2. Presto 06857 16-inch Electric Foldaway SkilletBest Electric Skillet
If you think of the modern-day kitchenware that will revolutionize your cooking experience – a good electric skillet has to be one of the items in your mind. The Presto 06857 16-inch Electric Foldaway Skillet is designed to be unique as it utilizes electricity and not your ordinary stove, producing heat up to 400 degrees. Cast from heavy aluminum, be assured it will last longer and make the best utilization of heat. Measuring 15.75″ x 11.87″ x 2.87″, the skillet is large enough to serve all your family at once, as you could grill, bake roast and fry all the foods you want.
The handles and base are detachable, making cleaning and storage very easy. The cooking temperature is controllable, and you could keep your food warm after cooking. The cover of the skillet is tempered glass which allows you to use it as a buffet server. Want to clean it with the dishwasher? Just remove the heat control and immerse it fully and see it sparkle as new!
- Multipurpose pan for grilling, frying or even baking
- Electric modern design with a non-stick surface
- Cast aluminum will last long and retain heat for long
- Non-stick coating wears off with time
- The foldable base may scratch the paint of the interior if not well handled
- Quite large for small meals
3. Cuisinart 622-30G Chef’s Classic Nonstick Hard-Anodized 12-Inch SkilletBest for Larger Servings
If you want to keep all the flavors in your food and get a durable skillet, then definitely this utensil should feature in your kitchen. Made from hard anodized material, the Chef’s Classic will last longer and at the same time have even heat distribution when making your favorite dish. The nonstick interior is made of quantanium and titanium reinforced, which needs very oil to cook your food, thus keeping you healthy from fatty meals.
With a riveted handle, you will have a solid grip and keep your hands from burning. With this pan, you can cook a variety of foods, including browning your sausages without burning them or even a meal of minced meat with garlic under low heat. Additional cooking space lies on the sides of the pot and keeps all your food in the pan.
- Great heat distribution
- Made of hardened anodized material
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Non-stick surface wears out with time
- Lid’s handle may be a bit hard to hold during draining
- Not dishwasher-safe
4. Copper Chef 10 Inch Diamond Fry PanBest for Saute and Grill
Good food is all about amazing taste and healthy meals, which is what you consider when deciding what utensil to buy. The Copper Chef pan will exactly let you enjoy healthy meals by letting you use minimum frying oil. With diamond-shaped air pockets between your food and the pan, your food will not stick, will cook evenly and quickly. With this pan, a range of vegetable meals and awesome steaks will be cooked, in addition to other types of foods.
Need to move a steak from the stove to the oven without worrying about the temperature changes? This pan is your solution. The durable, exclusive ceramic tech will ensure you live to enjoy being in the kitchen using it for ages. And if you want to keep checking as your meals cook, the glass lid will give you a clear view without opening all the time and losing the heat.
- Quality non-stick design with a lid
- Made from environmentally friendly materials that will not tarnish for long
- Can be used on the stove or even in the oven
- Metallic utensils may easily damage the surface of the pan
- Not dishwasher safe
5. Anolon Nouvelle Copper Hard-Anodized Nonstick Twin Pack French SkilletsBest Twin French Skillets
The Anolon Nouvelle Copper pan comes with a new design and incorporates high quality and long lasting materials. With a 5-layer base and a suitable copper base, the cooking experience with this pan is exceptional. A premium nonstick bottom will not be affected by any metal utensil. Additionally, the pan is easy to clean.
The stainless steel handles and lid give it a beautiful finish, ensuring that your kitchen looks amazing. The pan is oven safe and can accommodate up to 500 degrees of heat. And you don’t have to worry when pouring your food- it offers a non-drip pour feature which will ensure that your food will not spill. It comes in four different sizes.
- Durable 5-layered base
- Even heating and heat distribution
- An innovative stainless steel handle that will not burn your hands
- Cover lid has to be bought separately
- Metallic utensil may ruin the base with time
6. Copper Chef 10 Inch Round Frying PanBest for Oven Use
A good frying pan should be able to last long and cook your meals without burning them. Made from stick-free ceramic and aluminum materials, The Copper Chef is one pot that will last longer and remain intact. Its slick surface ensures that food doesn’t stick, especially when cooking different types of meats, whip creams, and desserts.
Additionally, no toxic materials are used to make it, and you will find only a few drops of oil to fry your food. An inbuilt induction stainless steel plate will maintain the same temperature evenly on the pot. The sauté pan will be easily moved from a stove to the oven without having to worry about the temperature variation. And you don’t have to worry about as the materials used to make it will not allow foods to stick on it.
- Very lightweight
- Pocket-friendly quality product
- Can be used to cook different foods on the stove or in the oven
- Stainless steel handle may get very hot and needs caution in handling
- Surface will lose stick-free ability if cleaned with strong detergents
- Lid has to be bought separately
7. Cuisinart CI22-24BG Chef’s Classic
Retaining flavors one guarantee the Cuisinart CI22-24BG Chef’s Classic gives you. This skillet has cast iron and molded to ensure that food flavors are not melted away by excessive unregulated heat. The iron construction ensures that it can withstand high temperatures and will last for long. The three enamel color options enhance the beauty of this sauté pan.
Designed with two side wings for easy handling and a strong curved handle, stand assured that you don’t have to worry about burning yourself. And the stylish look of this skillet will be n addition décor to your kitchen as the color will blend in with other utensils. With this pan, you can serve, cook, and very easy to maintain.
- Beautiful enamel coating
- Secure and comfortable grip
- Amazing heat distribution and retention ability
- Outer enamel is not that durable
- Coating chips off when washed with a strong detergent
8. All-Clad D3 Fry Pan with Lid, 10 Inch PanBest Stainless Steel Frying Pan
Have you been to a five-star kitchen and admired their utensils? The All-Clad D3 Fry Pan skillet is one item that is elegantly crafted for your kitchen. Built with steel-aluminum-steel 3 layers, this pan will keep all the heat within itself for long. The interior features a polished stainless that will not react with your food. The flared sides and flat bottom ensure that you can brown, sear, or even fry all types of foods.
The tight fit lid locks in moisture and heat, retaining all the flavors and water in your meals. A rivet secured long handle keeps you safe and will not heat up when you cook. To flip your food, the interior bottom allows a spatula flip all food with ease and let you show your culinary skills without spilling food everywhere!
- Classic design with hand-polished stainless steel finish
- Tight-fit lid
- Strong tripartite bonding construction
- Quite pricey
- Overheating may spoil the non-stick ability
- Quite large to clean in a small sink
9. Stainless Steel Skillet with Glass Cover – 12 InchBest for High Volume Cookings
This 12-inch skillet by Utopia Kitchen can a premium addition to your kitchen as it offers even heat distribution and retains heat for long. It will not react with your foods and will give you a tasty natural taste of all the meals you choose to sear, fry, or even brown.
The surface area is small and higher straight sides that enhance heat utilization and reduce evaporation. It comes with a lid with a vent that fits perfectly ensuring that all the flavors and nutrients remain intact as you make your favorite steak or fry vegetables. The skillet is easy to clean and can be washed in the dishwasher.
- Tight-fitting lid
- Efficient and even heat distribution
- Beautiful quality stainless-steel
- Thickness takes time to heat
- Quite heavy to lift with one handle
- Magnetic bottom may attract magnetic items
10. De Buyer MINERAL B Round Carbon Steel Fry Pan 12.5-InchBest Durable Frying Pan
The De Buyer Round Carbon Steel Fry Pan defines simplicity and elegance. It is one simple skillet designed using natural protective beeswax to prevent oxidation. It’s made from natural and pure iron that is sturdy, ensures even and efficient heat distribution. The skillet is available in six different sizes. With two handles, you don’t have to struggle with its weight when flipping or moving your food. The iron will serve your kitchen for many years without losing its efficiency.
A flat bottom provides even heat distribution and accords you a large surface area to cook on. The beeswax finish eliminates all forms of oxidation and toxics associated with other types of chemical coating. You can use the skillet on open fires, oven or the grill as it will handle temperatures of up to 260 degrees C.
- Amazing heat distribution and retention
- Naturally seasoned
- Can be used on different heat sources
- Quite hard to find a fitting lid
- May react to foods with acids
- May rust if not well maintained
Choosing the Best Frying Pans and Skillets: The Ultimate Buying Guide
Which kitchen doesn’t have a frying pan or skillet – even if it’s just for baking? If you are lacking this important piece of appliance or need a replacement, then you should consider buying one. However, making a buying decision is not that easy. The following are some of the factors you must consider:
Frying pans and skillets are categorized based on the materials used to make them. As such, you will find some that are made purely of aluminum while others have a combination of stainless steel, aluminum, copper, and carbon steel. Here is a detailed look at the types of skillets and frying pans:
- Aluminum: The popularity of aluminum frying pans and skillets emanates from the fact that it is rust and corrosion resistant. This metal is also a very good conductor of heat. However, it is prone to dents and scratches.
- Aluminum clad stainless steel: This is a combination of two of the most popular metals for making frying pans and skillets. Both of the metals are corrosion and rust resistant. In addition to being great heat conductors, the frying pans made of this material are also induction ready. However, they tend to scratch and dent easily.
- Hardcoat/anodized aluminum: When it comes to heat conduction, this is one of the best materials for making frying pans and skillets. Compared to pure aluminum frying pans, this kind is scratch and dent resistant. However, they are prone to rust and corrosion.
- Stainless steel: This kind of frying pan ticks in all the key areas. It is an excellent heat conductor. In addition to being corrosion and rust resistant, it is also induction-ready. The only disadvantage of this material is that it is prone to scratches and dents.
- Copper: This is perhaps the frying pan with the best ability as a heat conductor. However, it is not induction-ready. Another disadvantage is that it is likely to develop rust and corrode.
- Carbon steel: One thing about frying pans made of carbon steel is that they are excellent conductors of heat. Since they have an element of steel in their composition, they are also induction-ready. However, they are prone to rust and corrosion. When handled roughly, they are also likely to develop dents and scratches.
Always check for the thickness of the frying pan which is usually indicated in terms of mils or gauge. If it is shown in mils, then one mil will be equivalent to 1/1000. The higher the value, the thicker the frying pan. When the thickness is measured in terms of gauge, it is the exact opposite. The higher the gauge, the thinner the frying pan. For example, a 10-gauge frying pan is thicker than a 22-gauge one.
Riveted or Rivet-less
Frying pans and skillets will either be riveted or rivet-less (welds)If you are looking for a sturdy panhandle, buy one that’s riveted. Since the rivets are attached permanently, you don’t need to try tightening it. However, you have to clean them thoroughly to prevent bacteria from growing around the rivets. Rivet-less frying pans have a smooth interior. They are equally strong but stand out for being more hygienic.
Pan Handle Type
Who wants a pan that’s hotter on the handle than elsewhere? Characteristically, aluminum panhandles will feel hotter than steel ones. That’s because aluminum is a better conductor of heat than steel. Other handle types include those made of silicone, a poor conductor of heat. However, not all silicone handles are designed for high-temperature cooking. Some may require you to use pot handle holders.
Compared to aluminum, steel is magnetic. Therefore, frying pans and skillets made of steel are induction ready. They don’t have to be in direct contact with the heat to be used for cooking your food. These frying pans attract heat energy through induction, thus, making them very efficient. Induction-ready skillets heat faster and consume less energy.
Natural Finish or Non-Stick?
Frying pans and skillets with natural finish are incomparable to their non-stick counterparts. In addition to being less costly, frying pans with a natural finish are great when it comes to searing meat. However, the non-stick skillets stand out for their ability to prevent food from sticking. Thus, you can cook without fats or oil and still get great results. They are also easy and faster to clean. Thus, they are wonderful for omelet stations, pancakes, and eggs.
Did you know about most of these things when it comes to buying a frying pan or skillet? No? Well, most buyers are usually in the same boat. Unless you are a professional chef who’s so keen on the items you use, chances are that you don’t have an idea of the different types of frying pans. Many assume that as long as the skillet is non-stick, then it’s good to go. We hope that our review has educated you and helped you make a wise decision when shopping for this kitchen essential.