Onions are the foundation of most meals due to their refined taste and nice aroma. As a food lover, almost every recipe that you will come across has onions in it. But one thing that stands out about onions is their harsh effect on your eyes as you chop them up. If you are often using onions to cook, you will attest to the fact that your eyes are always teary due to their tangy effect. Let’s not forget that awful smell that onions leave on your hands. Fortunately, the market now has lots of onion choppers that will help repair your love-hate relationship with onions.
The best onion choppers are specially designed to quickly dice this crucial ingredient in seconds without making you cry or leaving your hands smelly. Once you discover this useful kitchen tool, you will want to try all the onion recipes in the world due to the simplicity it brings to food preparation. Onion choppers can be electric powered, battery powered or manual and it all depends on your personal preference.
A visit to the kitchen appliance section of any store will reveal just how many tools are out there designed to make your life easier in the kitchen. The onion chopper section is no different and it’s common to get confused on which product to pick. Not to worry. We have compiled a list of the best onion choppers available in the market today that will give you value for money and help turn you into a master of culinary art. Chop away!
Top 10 Onion Choppers of 2020 Reviewed
- Top 10 Onion Choppers of 2020 Reviewed
- 1. Fullstar Cutter-Veggie and Onion Slicer
- 2. Cuisinart CTG-00-SCHP Stainless Steel Chopper
- 3. HIC Plain Edge Old Fashioned Onion Manual Food Chopper
- 4. Mueller Onion Chopper
- 5. Original Vidalia Chop Wizard
- 6. WOKOKO Onion Slicer
- 7. TATUFY Onion Chopper Pro Mandoline Slicer Dicer
- 8. Zalik Vegetable Chopper Pro Onion Chopper
- 9. Alligator Onion Chopper
- 10. Brieftons Manual Onion Chopper
- How to Choose The Onion Chopper: The Ultimate Buying Guide
1. Fullstar Cutter-Veggie and Onion SlicerBest Vegetable and Onion Slicer
No more tears when it comes to slicing onions since Fullstar has designed this Vegetable and Onion Slicer to make life easy in your kitchen. It boasts of four easy to use blades made of heavy duty rust resistant stainless steel. The blades can dice small pieces, large pieces, spiral cuts and ribbon cuts. The blades are strong and don’t bend even when you cut crunchy items.With one easy lid locking motion, you will have your onions diced or sliced without any tears.
It also comes with a 4 cup (1.2L) capacity food container made of BPA-free plastic that holds your onion and keeps them fresh as you prepare to cook. The catch tray also reduces messes when preparing onions and is transparent so that you can view the progress of your food prep. It comes in a compact, space-saving design that will fit nicely into your kitchen cabinets. Since the appliance doesn’t require any electricity, you can use it anywhere.
- Large BPA-free catch tray
- 4 interchangeable blades
- Easy lid locking slicing mechanism
- Difficult to clean
- Non-microbial properties
- Blades may get blunt over time
2. Cuisinart CTG-00-SCHP Stainless Steel ChopperBest Manual Onion Chopper
Cuisinart is one brand that’s reputable for providing the culinary world with quality appliances. The CTG-00-SCHP Stainless Steel Chopper is one such tool that will make onion preparation a walk in the park. This manual onion slicer is free standing and doesn’t need a cutting board to operate. With a single press, your onion will be diced into even shapes.
It has an elegant stainless steel housing with clear glass at the bottom that lets you view the onion slices. It has a sharp blade and can be tossed into the dishwasher for easy cleaning. It has an easy push down handle for quick chopping.
- Made of high grade stainless steel
- Elegant housing
- Clear glass bottom
- Doesn’t have a large capacity
3. HIC Plain Edge Old Fashioned Onion Manual Food ChopperBest For Small Kitchens
Slice onion the traditional way with this manual onion chopper from HIC. It features an elegant glass casing with a 1.5L cup capacity. The blades are made of 18/8 stainless steel which is BPA and lead free. The blades are sharp and the clear glass allows you to view the progress of the chopping without having to remove the top.
To achieve your desired size of onions, press the plunger up and down in successful motion until the texture you want is achieved. The chopper is sturdily built and won’t take up too much space on your kitchen counter.
- Sharp blades
- Clear glass construction
- BPA and lead free
- Lots of pushing and pulling involved
- Not for a busy kitchen
4. Mueller Onion ChopperBest for Large Scale Onion Preparation
Make onion preparation easier with this expertly designed onion chopper from Mueller. It has an easy to use design where you just need to peel your onion, place it on the space provided and press for even slices. The tool is designed to reduce onion vapors that cause your eyes to get teary. This professional grade onion chopper is made from BPA-free heavy duty plastic that’s designed to last a lifetime.
It also comes with a large FDA-safe plastic container to hold the slices and prevent any messes that occur during food preparation. It features two ultra-sharp blades made of high grade stainless steel that are resistant to rust. The blades can also be used to slice and dice vegetables, cheese and carrots. It comes in a compact design that fits nicely into your kitchen cabinet. While it might not be the best for getting ultra-thin onion slices, it’s a great investment to make as a food lover.
- BPA-free, FDA-safe material
- Comes with a large capacity container
- Reduces onion vapors
- Not ideal for ultra-thin onion slices
- Better safety features needed
5. Original Vidalia Chop WizardBest Time Saving Onion Chopper
Just like the name, this onion slicer will let you dice your onions like a pro. It slices in one swift motion which cuts food preparation time by 50%. It boasts of high quality interchangeable blades made of stainless steel and won’t need to be sharpened over time.
The package includes a chop blade and a dice blade to provide versatility to your onion preparation. You will also get a catch tray to hold the onions as you chop. This white onion slicer is manual and has non-skid feet at the base to prevent the slicer from sliding as you work.
- Swift slicing
- Non-skid feet to prevent sliding
- Catch tray to prevent messes
- Lots of fakes in the market
- Less capacity
- Not for busy kitchens
6. WOKOKO Onion SlicerBest Non-Skid Base Onion Chopper
For any type of onion slicing, this onion slicer will get the work done in an easy and safe manner. It’s FDA and LFGB approved to be used for all your food preparation needs. The appliance is made of superior grade food safe ABS plastic that doesn’t bend or break. It boasts of an ergonomic design with a soft grip rubber handle that gives you a firm grip as you work. It also has a non-skid base that ensures stability as you chop your onions.
It also comes with a 1.6 quart capacity container that holds a large amount of onions and prevents messes during preparation. For easy cleaning, the slicer can be disassembled and assembled easily. The space saving design ensures that your kitchen top doesn’t get cluttered. For safety, the onion slicer comes with a free cut resistant glove and a hand guard to keep your fingers safe during slicing. It also comes with numerous blades that can be used for slicing all types of vegetables, fruits, potatoes and other ingredients.
- Ergonomic design; Rubber grip, non-skid base
- Multipurpose slicer
- Comes with cut resistant glove and hand guard
- Too many components
- Quite technical
- Blades are really sharp
7. TATUFY Onion Chopper Pro Mandoline Slicer DicerBest 10 In 1 Onion Chopper
This deluxe set chopper will not only help you prepare your onions without tears but will take care of all your other food preparation needs including slicing all types of vegetables, fruits and salads. It boasts of a 10 in 1 construction with over ten types of blade styles to pick from. All the blades are made from 430 grade Japanese stainless steel and will reduce your meal prep time by 50%.
Weighing only 1.7 pounds, this chopper is light in weight and has a compact design that will not take up space in your kitchen. Most of the pieces can be disassembled for easy cleaning and even cleaned using a brush. The rubberized non-skid base ensures stability and safety as you chop. For added safety, it has a finger guide design that protects your hands from cuts during slicing. On purchase, you get a free ceramic blade peeler, a safety hat for protection and a manual with operating instructions.
- 10 in 1 blade functionality
- Light and compact design
- Lots of safety features
- Lots of components
- Can be difficult to clean
- Not ideal for hard vegetables
8. Zalik Vegetable Chopper Pro Onion ChopperBest Large Capacity Onion Chopper
If you love cooking with onions and having vegetables in your meals, then this is one kitchen accessory that you will want to have. It boasts in an 11 in 1 construction that makes mincing, slicing, dicing and other food preparations easy. The 11 stainless steel blades will give a wide range of options for all your food prep needs. The plastic areas are made using strong plastic that’s food safe. For easy cleaning, all the parts can be disassembled and easily put back together.
- 11 in 1 blades
- Strong plastic construction
- Large capacity catch tray
- Too many parts
- Some blades may never be used
- Difficult to clean
9. Alligator Onion ChopperBest Sleek Design Onion Chopper
For clean onion cuts, Aliigator brings you this masterly crafted onion chopper that will make life much easier in the kitchen. It has a solid stainless steel construction that can withstand lots of slicing and will serve you for many years. The modern design will compliment your cooking space and entice you to keep cooking healthy meals. The chopper comes with three interchangeable blades that helps create perfect slices every time.
- Clean cuts each time
- Modern, elegant design
- Sharp blades
- Few blades
- Requires energy to press down
- Need to cut onions into small pieces first
10. Brieftons Manual Onion ChopperBest Handheld Onion Chopper
Enjoy easy food and onion preparation when on the go with this portable food chopper. It boasts of a compact, handheld design that you can carry with you when out camping or on picnics. It provides you with relief when it comes to blending, mincing and chopping your ingredients. You can choose the 2 cup capacity if your family is small but the 4 cup capacity is also available for larger meal preps.
For safety, all blades are concealed inside the chopper. The parts easily come apart for quick cleaning and can be thrown into the top rack of your dishwasher. The chopper is made of plastic that’s BPA-free and food safe.
- Blades concealed for safety
- Varying capacities
- Single blade
- Can’t get a variety of slice sizes
- Breaks easily
How to Choose The Onion Chopper: The Ultimate Buying Guide
Of all the ingredients used when prepping a meal, onions are the most common and rarely will you find a wholesome dish made without them. However, any chef will bear witness to the agony that they go through when slicing up this tasty and crucial ingredient. Onions though delicious, they are filled with vapors which cause your eyes tear every time you time slice them. Worse still, they tend to leave a strong smell on your hands which can be difficult to clean.
Types of Onion Choppers
To help make onion preparation easier, the market is filled with all manner of onion choppers that make slicing and dicing onions a walk in the park. Onion choppers are divided into main categories;
- Manual – You will find a large number of these appliances are manual and often have a self-locking mechanism which presses down on the onion to produce perfect slices. While this type of onion chopper maybe time consuming and at times difficult to use, it is cheaper and can be used anywhere since it doesn’t require electricity.
- Electric – To save time during food preparation, you can invest in an electric onion chopper. To slice your onions, all you need to do is palace the onion on the appliance, plug it in and press a button and in a few second your onions are diced. This type of onion chopper is fast and saves time but are a little more expensive compared to their manual counterparts.
Why Do Onions Make You Cry?
There’s a whole science behind that tingly feeling and eventual tears that come to your eyes when chopping onions. Just like most plants and animals, having a defense mechanism is a must to survive in life and onions are no exception. During formation, onions are armed with sophisticated chemicals that protect it from predators during growth. One of these chemicals is called lachrymatory factor (LF) which if it comes into contact with your eyes it causes irritation and triggers the tear glands hence the crying.
Factors to Consider When Buying an Onion Chopper
- Capacity – There’s the quantity of onions that a given onion chopper can handle. It’s usually determined by the size of catch container available. If your kitchen is busy, you may need to get one with a large capacity but if you often cook small meals, then there’s no need to go for those over-sized choppers which end up eating too much space on the counter.
- Blades – Just like in a mandolin slicer, blades are the backbone of your appliance and may save you time or end up frustrating you. In the market, you will come across models that have interchangeable blades that will allow you to make different designs. Most blades are made of stainless steel that is resistant to rust and don’t need sharpening. You may look at the options available when it comes to replacement blades.
- Materials – When picking your appliance, ensure that it’s made of BPA-free materials especially where plastic is involved. FDA-safe materials ensure that the food made is safe for human consumption. One way to let you know whether an item is BPA-free is the brand assuring you so or the origin of the product has a ban on BPA plastics.
- Cleaning – Once you have finished chopping up your onions, you need an appliance that’s easy to clean. For easy cleaning, you may disassemble it and pass it through running water or throw it into the dishwasher. Some items come with a cleaning brush to help reach difficult areas.
Say goodbye to teary eyes during onion preparation by investing in a quality onion chopper. Not only will it reduce prep time by a huge percentage but will also ensure your hands don’t remain smelly afterwards. Hopefully you have spotted the best onion chopper to help you create a great meal without any tears. Turn into a culinary expert by investing in an onion chopper today.