Trying for a baby is one of the most challenging things a modern woman can do. With hectic stress-induced lifestyles and deteriorating nutrition becoming the norm, women’s natural body cycles are often askew making ovulation hard to spot. The best ovulation tests seek to solve this by making it easier for a woman to tell her ovulation window hence the best time to try for pregnancy.
Most kits come as ovulation test strips which test for the presence of Luteinizing hormone (LH), while others come as digital kits which are easier to read. It’s important to note that most test kits are urine-based although we shall also explore non-invasive, estrogen–testing based and saliva-based test kits.
But which is the best ovulation tests kit to choose? Let’s now explore in detail the best ovulation test kits available to moms in the market today.
Top 10 Ovulation Tests of 2019 Reviewed
1. Pregmate Ovulation Test StripsBest Basic Home Ovulation Test Kit
This urine-based LH ovulation test kit accurately predicts ovulation and LH surge with 99% accuracy. A good number of strips are included (50) allowing the consumer to test repeatedly consistently ranking it highly in customer feedback forums.
It can be a good starting point for moms who are testing themselves for the first time and asking themselves what is the best ovulation test kit to use. Results show fast, within 5 minutes, as it has the mandatory high FDA-approved sensitivity level.
- Consistently high accuracy
- Great value for the number of strips included
- Users have reported having to make sure to test until the results line is much darker than the control line or they could easily get a false positive
2. Clearblue Digital Ovulation TestBest Digital Ovulation Test Kit
This digital ovulation kit currently stands as the number 1 recommended kit by ObGyns. With 99% accuracy at detecting LH surge, the optical test strip reader gives results that leave no room for misinterpretation.
A smiley face in the test window to indicate a positive result saves the consumer the bother of having to guess. It is convenient, worry-free and is considered Best Digital Ovulation Test Kit in the market.
- Extremely easy to use
- Consistently high accuracy
- Compact, easy to hold design, with no mess
- Quite pricy compared to other test kits
- The optical strip reader has been known to fail giving an error signal
3. Wondfo Ovulation Test KitBest Easy-to-Use Ovulation Test Kit
Rising in popularity among consumers, this urine-based ovulation test kit with 50 test strips ranks highest among the best easy-to-use ovulation test kits. It is easy to read and gives results within 5 minutes.
- Easy to use
- Clear, easy to read results line
- Make sure to test only in the afternoon for greatest accuracy
- Has been known to inaccurately detect the peak of LH spikes
4. Clinical Guard Ovulation and Pregnancy Test StripsBest Value Ovulation Test Kit
This combination urine-based ovulation and pregnancy test kit comes with 40 LH ovulation test strips and 10 bonus hCG pregnancy test kits and consistently ranks high among the best value ovulation test kits.
The high number of strips makes it suitable for repeated testing making it one of the best ovulation test kits for PCOS as this condition requires repeated testing over time.
- Easy to use
- Very affordable for the number so strips in the pack
- Distinct color bands show in the control and test zones
- Some defective strips have been reported where the control line seems to be absent
5. First Response Ovulation and Pregnancy Test KitBest Starter Ovulation Test Kit
This value combination ovulation and pregnancy urine-based test kit records with over 99% accuracy. It works as with most kits by detecting LH surge. Results show within 5 minutes.
The 2 – 3 most fertile days, when LH levels are at peak values, are accurately detected making getting pregnant that much easier.
There are 2 packs of 7 test strips and 3 bonus pregnancy test strips, which can detect pregnancy in advance of 6 days. The pregnancy test kits which detect (hCG) confirm a pregnancy within 3 minutes of testing.
- Great for irregular cycles as it helps a woman narrow down the most fertile days
- Fast to use and easy to read results
- No need for a urine cup or mess, simply hold the strip along the urine stream
- Ovulation Predictor Kits reports as not being very efficient in measuring peak LH levels
6. Maybe Baby At-Home Reusable Saliva Ovulation Test KitBest Saliva-Based Ovulation Test Kit
What makes this ovulation kit unique, is that it works by measuring the link between estrogen levels and salt levels in the saliva. High estrogen levels consequently trigger an LH spike, signaling the beginning of ovulation.
This test gives a greater accuracy of the ovulation window narrowing it down to between 2 – 3 days. Unlike other test kits, it can be done in the morning removing the hassle of worrying what is the best time for ovulation test kits.
It is important to note, however, that food, drink or smoke can affect the results. So, the test should be taken before brushing teeth or 2 – 3 hours before eating, drinking or smoking.
Being reusable gives it further differentiation, making it one of the best ovulation test kits for irregular periods as it saves the user from constantly buying strips. Results show within 10 – 15 minutes.
- Non-invasive and easy to use
- Portable, so testing can be done anywhere at any time
- Reusable with no expiration date, giving it greater value and affordability
- Suitable for women with irregular and longer cycles as it can be used repeatedly
- Quite pricy, so should be viewed as an investment
- Drinking, smoking, and eating can affect the accuracy of the test
- If the batteries dim or oxidize, the results cannot be clearly seen, so batteries need regular cleaning and replacing
7. [email protected] Ovulation Test StripsBest Home Ovulation Test Kit
This urine-based test kit comes with 50 LH ovulation test strips and 20 bonus hCG pregnancy test strips. It represents extremely good value for the quality and number of strips per pack and is a good kit for mothers pondering the question can ovulation test kits predict pregnancy?
It gives fast results, within 5 minutes of testing. The line gets darker on the ovulation test strip as the LH continues to surge nearing the ovulation window.
- Great value for money
- Fast working with easy to read clear results lines
- Affordable making repeated testing possible
- Pregnancy test strips were reported to have given some false positives
8. Accumed Ovulation and Pregnancy Test StripsBest Ovulation Test Kit For PCOS
Perhaps the kit with the highest number of test strips (75), this kit represents excellent value for money and can be one of the best ovulation predictor kits for PCOS as the sheer number of strips included allows the user to test for longer. There are 50 LH ovulation test strips and 25 bonus hCG pregnancy test kits.
Being FDA-approved these kits detect miniscule hormone amounts of 25 mIU per ml of urine and results show within 5 minutes. It is also considered one of the best ovulation predictor kits for irregular periods as repeated testing is attainable with the high number of testing strips.
- Easy to read results with clear lines
- Added pregnancy testing is a plus
- Great value for money with the high number of testing strips per pack
- Ovulation strips have been known to give false positives
9. MomMed Ovulation Test StripsBest Complete All-in-One Ovulation Test Kit
This kit offers an amazing array of items for the affordable price. It comes with 50 LH strips, 20 pregnancy tests, 70 urine collection cups, an instruction manual, and a time tracker. The strips in this kit are wider than most giving a better surface area for testing. It represents one of the best value ovulation test kits.
Results show within 10 – 15 minutes, slower than other kits, however, with a comparable accuracy of 99%. Pregnancy testing results are also very simply read with one line showing a negative and two lines showing a positive result.
The time tracker also helps mums-to-be keep track of their ovulation cycle easily, especially useful if one is looking for the best ovulation predictor kit for PCOS or the best ovulation predictor kit for irregular periods.
- Easy to use ovulation predictors and pregnancy test strips
- Wider strips for more accurate testing
- Affordable and great value for money
- Results take on average longer than in other kits
- LH strips have been known to give false positives
10. Smile Reader Ovulation Test KitBest Mobile App-Supported Ovulation Test Kit
The Smile Reader is a moderately good value kit that comes with 30 LH strips and 10 bonus pregnancy strips. As with all other kits it tracks LH surge with 99% accuracy.
It uses red dye to track ovulation and pregnancy. What makes it unique is that it is the only kit linked to a mobile app, that details statistics, tips, and frequently asked questions, making it easy for the user to keep monitoring their cycle on the go.
- Complete ovulation and pregnancy system for an affordable price
- Complimentary mobile app making it easy to track ovulation
- Crystal clear easy to read results
- False positives for ovulation have been known to record
How To Choose Best Ovulation Tests
Number of Strips per Kit
This is certainly important if the user’s cycle is irregular or unpredictable. A greater number of strips per kit allows the user to test for ovulation repeatedly for longer, saving on the need to buy more kits.
Some testing kits also include bonus pregnancy testing kits as an all-in-one system. That makes it even more convenient to carry out both tests within days of each other. The number of strips also determines whether a testing kit can be ranked as the best ovulation test kit for PCOS as this condition needs repeated testing over time.
Basic vs. Digital Tests
Basic tests are either urine or saliva-based and require an interpretation of the results by the user. The best digital ovulation test kits, however, give clear results, either a yes or a no, which requires no interpretation.
Digital results are good for those users who may not be good at following instructions to ensure there is no room for misinterpretation.
Time of Day for Testing
Most urine-based ovulation kits require that the testing must be carried out in the afternoon when the urine hormone levels have stabilized within the body.
This can be inconvenient as the user can either forget to test or not be in a position to test. Saliva-based tests alleviate worry on the best time for ovulation test kits, allowing for testing in the morning or any time of day, but only before drinking, smoking or eating as these factors can mess up the results.
One must, therefore, decide which time of day is most convenient for testing. So as to determine the best ovulation test kit for their needs.
Your budget will also determine the ovulation kit best suited for your use. Basic tests are 10 times cheaper than digital tests. On the other hand, digital tests can be used for longer and for repeated testing.
If price and accuracy are among your major concerns, basic tests can be used to test repeatedly, and in the final test, a digital test can be used as a confirmation of any results that may be in doubt.
Price is an important factor if you’re worrying about the best ovulation test kit for irregular periods as you’ll need many more strips to test with this condition.
Our Top Pick
We really liked the Mommed Ovulation and Pregnancy Testing Kit. For the price, it gives an amazing array of testing items; 70 LH strips, 20 pregnancy strips, 70 urine collection cups, a time tracker and instruction manual make.
This is hands down, the best complete home ovulation and pregnancy testing system for moms to be. If you are already planning a pregnancy, check the best pregnancy tests as well.
The supply should last the user around 6 months which apart from making it great value for money, also makes it the best ovulation predictor kit for PCOS and the best ovulation predictor kit for irregular periods because both conditions need regular repeated testing over time.
Although the tests above are really trending among users, there are others available in the market which would have certainly made it in our best ovulation test kits reviews only that we didn’t get the time to test them. They are available to buy online and include:
- Fertile Focus Ovulation Microscope
- Clearblue Fertility Monitor
- Fertility Friend Ovulation Mobile App
- Knowhen Saliva Fertility Tester
Bringing a life into the world is a magical and fulfilling process and the best ovulation test kits aim to make this process easier.
While these kits are designed to be as accurate as possible, it’s always advisable to follow instructions carefully. So test consistently and avoid drinking too much water before testing, as this can dilute the urine sample.
These tests provide amazing peace of mind and especially help women with fertility problems achieve the ultimate goal of becoming mothers.