A good patio should be a refuge from the summer heat and an enticing getaway, but this holds true only if the patio is welcoming, and if it offers serious relaxation when you need it- and comfortable seating is an integral part of this.
The best patio chairs beckon you to leave your hot den and lure you to enjoy everything that your outdoor space offers to the maximum; fresh air, shade, sun, and view.
While style is what matters so much to us, there are a whole lot of other things that come into play when choosing a patio chair. The construction material should be the biggest consideration, and this highly depends on the weather conditions in your area, your budget, as well as personal preferences.
You also want to think of things such as the available space and ease of storage especially if you’ll need to store the furniture sometimes in the year. We’ve covered all of these plus other important considerations in our best patio chair buying guide later in this article.
Before that, though, let us take you through our picks of the best patio chairs to buy in 2019.
Top 10 Patio Chairs Of 2020 Reviewed
1. Flamaker 3 Pieces Patio Set Outdoor Wicker Patio Furniture Sets
The Flamaker 3 Pieces Patio Set Outdoor Wicker Patio Furniture Set stands out with its approach of a simple yet modern design with a closed leg and armrest. With this, you can forget about the rattan falling off after using it for some time. The chairs are made using a sturdy, powder-coated steel frame, which is rustproof and weather resistant. With this, the Flamaker can easily hold as much as 250 pounds and will stand the test of the outdoors.
The chairs are wide and deep, cushioned using really soft padded cushions for ultimate comfort. They are also aesthetically pleasing, so they’ll be a nice addition to the décor of your patio, balcony or poolside. Another handy feature is the polyester make of the removable covers, which makes them really easy to clean. The set also features a table with tempered glass so you can clear easily out any drinks and spills.
- Has an affordable price
- Nice design
- Sturdy metal construction
- Cushions are light; might get carried away by strong winds
- The cushions tend to hold in rainwater if left exposed
- Some users claim they are low to the ground and experienced difficulty in assembly
2. Lakeland Mills Cedar Log Lounge ChairBest Natural Wood Patio Chair Overall
One of the best patio chairs for 2019, the Lakeland Mills is classic, elegant, and invitingly comfortable. This chair is made using natural white cedar and it’s resistant to both insect and weather elements, and that’s to say that you can leave it outside all year round.
The Lakeland Mills comes in pieces, but putting it together is very easy (although laborious) thanks to the instructions booklet that the package comes with.
When fully assembled, this chair has an overall height of 39’’, length 29’’, and width 28’’. It feels very sturdy and can be used by pretty much everyone regardless of their weight and height.
- Weather and insect resistant
- Assembly is laborious
3. Keter Rio 3 Pc All Weather Outdoor PatioBest Patio Chair For Easy Maintenance
Our runners up contender in our best patio chair reviews is for homeowners who want a chair that doesn’t require a lot of maintenance needs.
The Keter Rio comes in a set of 3- two chairs measuring 30.51’’ W x 21.26’’ D x 23.92’’ H, and a side table measuring 14.96’’ W x 14.37’’ D x 14.96’’ H.
The seats are made of polypropylene resin and exhibit the versatility of natural rattan but with added durability in all types of weather.
These chairs are quite compact and also lightweight in design, and this makes them ideal if you’ll be moving them a lot.
- Almost zero maintenance
- High weight limit (300lbs)
- Table looks cheap
4. GCI Outdoor Portable Folding Rocking ChairBest Folding Patio Chair
Our search for the best patio furniture deals led us to the GCI- a chair that has been designed to fit most of your outdoor seating needs be it on the patio, deck, lawn, and even when camping or tailgating.
This seat is made using powder-coated stainless steel and strong fabric for the sitting area both of which offer a weight limit of 250 pounds.
We really like the smooth rocking motions that the GCI makes with its patented spring-action rocking technology, and the fact that it folds flat for storage or transportation means that you can take it with you anywhere.
- Easy to transport
- Folds flat
- Sets up quickly
- A little pricier than the competition
- 250-pound weight capacity is limiting
5. Kettler Roma Resin High Back ChairBest Patio Chair For Reading
There are a whole lot of things to love about the Kettler Roma, but the fact that you can use it wherever there is a need for an additional seat- whether in your indoor and outdoor spaces- is what interested us most.
This chair is made in Germany using Resin, and you can tell that it’s of high quality right off the bat. The Kettler measures 24” W x 26” L x 41.5” H when fully opened, and 24” W x 5” L x 33” H when fully collapsed (this caught us by surprise, by the way).
Another thing that makes it the best chair for patio is its 4 reclining positions that make it perfect whether you are reading, binging on Netflix, or napping.
- No assembly necessary
- Folds flat
- 4 reclining positions
- Sturdy and durable
- Quite pricey
6. Studio Outdoor Converting Patio FurnitureBest Patio Lounge Chair
For homeowners who are after utmost versatility, the Studio Outdoor is all yours. This lounge chair is designed to offer you a place where you can sit and nap be it on your patio or on the balcony of a high-rise apartment building.
The Studio Outdoor lounge is made of FSC-certified hardwood with a brown finish, and it’s made complete by a super-comfortable 100% waterproof cushion made of polyester fabric and stuffed with fiber batting.
- All weather-proof
- Usable as a chair or bed
- Simple assembly
- Some folks might find it too low
7. Tangkula Folding Patio Chair SetBest Patio Chair For Spacing
The Tangkula may not be the most charming of the lot in terms of looks, but they will definitely fit the bill if you are looking for the best patio chairs that won’t fill up your patio. They will also interest you if you -want a versatile chair that you can use on the balcony, patio, and lawn and even take it with you during camps, picnics, and fishing.
These chairs come in a set of 4 and they are shipped fully assembled and ready to use immediately, so if you are not a fan of assembling things, these chairs got your back.
The Tangkula seats have a heavy-duty, powder-coated stainless steel frame and high-quality PE wicker seat and backrest.
When fully opened, each of these chairs measures 24’’ (L) by 23’’ (W) by 37’’ (H) and has a weight limit of up to 250 pounds.
- Easy to transport
- Easy maintenance
- The low weight limit for most adults
- Some wish that it was wider
8. Suncast Elements Club ChairBest Patio Chair With Storage
The Suncast Elements has a relatively smaller size for small patios and decks, but it’s spacious enough for most folks.
This chair has a multi-wall resin construction and we expect it to hold up quite well when left in the elements. We also found its decorative wicker pattern impressive and great for almost any décor.
Withstanding weights of up to 350 pounds, this chair’s seat flips up to reveal decent storage beneath that you’ll use to store your cushions (sold separately) to protect them from harsh weather.
The Suncast Elements comes in pieces, but putting it up is easy and should take anywhere between 15 and 30 minutes.
- Good size for small patios and decks
- Easy to assemble
- Might be short for taller folks (over 6’)
9. Grand Parma Patio Bistro SetBest Patio Furniture Set For Homeowners On Budget
The Grand Patio Parma is yet another highly recommendable patio set for homeowners who want something simple and affordable but functional.
This package comes with 2 chairs measuring 17.3”(W) X23.2”(D) X 33”(H) each, and a square table measuring 23.6”(W) X 23.6”(D) X 28.3”(H).
The 2 feature an oval powder-coated stainless steel frame and weather-resistant wicker- a combination that makes this set excellent for use on the patio or somewhere along the beach.
Compared to the Tangkula chairs that we saw earlier, we found the Grand Patio Parma chairs and table to be of a good height for both tall and short users. And the best part is that they are all foldable for easy storage and transportation.
- High weight limit
- No assembly needed
- Reports of coating peeling
10. Semco Outdoor Rocking ChairBest Patio Chair For Heavy, Tall, Or Elderly
Are you looking for the best patio chair for elderly, or are you skeptic about buying a patio chair online? Well, chances are that the Semco is going to meet most of your needs, if not all.
This chair is made of heavy-duty plastics and has durable rugged construction that has been engineered to resist scratching and staining.
But what’s so appealing is its very high weight limit of 600 pounds coupled with its large seat measuring 17.5in.W x 19in.D. These two make the Semco a great choice for most adults regardless of their weight and height, and it’s a great option for all weathers considering that it does not warp, rust, peel, or blister.
- High weight limit
- Weather resistant
- Easy to put together
- Flat seat minimizes comfort
How To Choose Best Patio Chairs For Your Home: The Ultimate Buying Guide
Patio chairs come in all types of materials, but they don’t always work well for everyone and this depends on several things including the climate in your area, where you intend to place the seats, and your budget too.
- Wicker– this is the most popular outdoor furniture material and what most homeowners love for their patio and garden chairs. Wicker can be made from natural materials such as rattan, willow, bamboo, and reed and it can also be made using synthetic polyethylene fibers as it’s the case with resin wicker.
Natural wicker can last a very long time, but it needs to be preserved especially from wet environments, insect invasion, and desiccation.
Synthetic wicker isn’t so environment-friendly, but just like natural wicker, it is resilient, comfortable, and visually appealing. The best part about it is that it’s resistant to harsh weather elements and can be left outside throughout the year.
- Plastic– plastic patio chairs offer an affordable option for homeowners operating on a tight budget. Their lightweight design also makes them great if you’ll be moving the chair a lot.
The best plastic patio chairs are made of high-quality polymer and also have UV-stabilizing pigments and are, therefore, durable and able to withstand different weather elements all year round.
- Iron– this material makes the best patio chairs for areas with very volatile weather conditions; heavy rains, strong winds, and extended winters. When looking for iron outdoor seats, consider models that have been powder-coated to resist rust and corrosion, and UV-treated to prevent the color from fading.
- Wood– for homeowners who’d like to give their backyard a traditional appeal, consider one of the best wooden patio chairs. Beware of synthetic wood chairs, though, as these don’t hold up so well. Again, unlike plastic, iron, and wicker chairs, keep in mind that wood requires a certain level of maintenance including power washing and sealing.
Let it Be an Extension of Your House
It’s also very important to ensure a smooth transition from your indoor décor to outdoor living space. Well, you don’t necessarily need to purchase a similar set of couch to the one in your living room, but you could go with colors and patterns that bring a continuation of the 2 spaces.
Consider the Space Available
Keep in mind the size and shape of your patio in relation to the chairs that you are eyeing. An important rule of thumb is to ensure that there is enough space around the chairs for easy movement.
Best Patio Chairs Vs. Your Budget
The best patio chairs can get darn expensive especially towards summer. If affordability is top on your list, here are a few useful tips worth keeping in mind;
- Shop for patio chairs towards the beginning of fall as they are often considerably cheaper around this time
- Keep a lookout for yard sales, yard stores, and on Craiglist- people who’ve just bought a new set of patio furniture probably has an old one that they need to get rid of too. Although most of them won’t be in their best condition, at times all they need is minimal refurbishing to get it back to life
- Consider refurbished patio chairs- it’s easy to get good quality furniture at a cheap price
- Go for inexpensive materials such as resin and aluminum provided the design meets your needs
A nicely-kept patio with a good set of furniture should be an extension of your home and a focal point- a place to relax and unwind and have a great outdoor time with friends and family especially when it’s hot inside.
As a recap of what we’ve just explained in our best patio chair buying guide above, comfort is of utmost importance, and a great set of patio chairs is at the center of this. While patio chairs aren’t as pricey as your indoor furniture, falling for the wrong type can prove to be a very expensive mistake.
Buying the best patio furniture boils down to getting a set that meets your comfort needs while offering good value for your money at the same time.
Factor in your climate and go for construction materials that best fit it to minimize the rate of deterioration. Put the weight of the furniture into consideration too if you intend to move it around and also ensure that you have enough storage in case there’s the need for that.