Patios act as a sanctuary for you and your family (or friends) to bond and create fresh memories as you enjoy some quality time together. It’s all fun and party during the day when the weather is warm, but turns into a nightmare when the sun sets as cold begins to dominate. Normally, you’d either get a blanket for everyone to coil into or just call it a day and get into the house.
Thankfully, patio heaters allow you to continue the party by ensuring you stay warm and cozy as you enjoy the outdoor patio. But picking the right model for your needs isn’t that easy. With dozens of options out there, it can be overwhelming going through all the features and specs to make an informed decision.
If you are shopping for the best patio heaters, you are lucky because we are going to help you in the shopping process. We have reviewed fifteen cool patio heater, featuring them in different categories (electric, gas, and wood), so that you can find it easier to pick the right one. We also have an informative buying guide to help you further as you begin your shopping.
Top 15 Patio Heaters of 2019 Reviewed
- Top 15 Patio Heaters of 2019 Reviewed
- Electric Patio Heaters
- Best Gas Patio Heaters
- 6. AmazonBasics Commercial Patio Heater, Havava Bronze
- 7. BestMassage Patio Heater Tall Hammered Finish Garden Outdoor Heater
- 8. Dyna-Glo DGPH201BR 48000 BTU Premium Hammered Bronze Patio Heater
- 9. Mr. Heater Corporation 29,000-45,000 BTU 540-Degree Tank Top
- 10. Golden Flame Resort Model 40,000 BTU Patio Heater
- 11. Sunjoy Lawrence Floor-Standing Patio Heater, 88-Inch, Bronze Hammered Finish
- 12. Fire Sense Hammer Tone Bronze Patio
- Best Wood Patio Heaters
- How to Choose a Patio Heater – The Ultimate Guide
- Heating Technology
Electric Patio Heaters
1. AZ Patio Heaters Electric Patio Heater, Parasol, Black – B004LTYPYSBest Electric Heater for Umbrellas
Patio heaters are characteristically meant for outdoor use. This particular product serves its purpose both indoors and outdoors. So you can essentially move it from the house to your garden whenever you need heating. To make sure it can withstand the conditions outside the house, it is constructed in such a way that it is waterproof.
It is a stainless steel heater, which makes it extremely durable. It provides up to 1500 watts of instant heat. When feeling cold, you do not have to wait for too long before warming up. Depending on how cold it is, you can adjust the temperature control to get the heat you want. This electric heater is meant for use in small spaces such as an outdoor umbrella.
- Perfect for both indoor and outdoor use
- It has a completely waterproof construction
- Provides instant heat for quick relief from cold
- May not adequately heat the lower parts of the body
- Produces bright light which may not be comfortable at night
- The warmth could be driven away by the wind
2. Fire Sense Telescoping Infrared Indoor/Outdoor Patio Heater, BlackBest Adjustable Infrared Patio Heater
If you are wary of being exposed to UV rays, this is the heater to buy. It relies on infrared technology to provide you with a complete heat output in a matter of seconds. Why should you suffer from cold weather when you have such a heater?
This heater works within a 9-foot radius. Since it relies on infrared rays, the wind does not affect it. It is less costly than gas heaters. So you can be sure of saving a lot of money in terms of energy costs. The heater is stable, given its 53-pound weight. It measures 18 x 93 x 72 feet. You can connect it to the regular 110-volt electric supply in your home, thus removing the need for special adapters.
- Does not produce UV rays
- Uses infrared rays which are not affected by the wind
- Uses the regular 110-volt electric outlet
- Not possible to adjust the angle of the heating element
- It may not be entirely weatherproof
- Might not work properly if not placed on a dedicated line
3. Hiland ZHQ1821SH Patio HeatersBest for Indoors and Outdoors
Why should you buy a heater that only works indoors? The Hiland Patio Heater is designed to work both indoors and indoors. It is a durable heater, given its stainless steel construction. You don’t have to worry about your heater getting damaged due to exposure to the weather outdoors. It is completely waterproof.
Even though the heater comes in different pieces, it takes just about 10 minutes to assemble it. If you are in a hurry to get some warmth, that works perfectly. To keep you and your people safe, the product has an anti-tilt switch. Why should you worry about the heater causing an unmitigated accident?
- A durable heater that’s made of stainless steel
- Has a safety switch that prevents unnecessary tilting
- Completely waterproof for outdoor use
- The light produced by the heater can be uncomfortable for the eyes
- Has a temperature control that doesn’t work well
- May break down without a warning
4. Ener-G+ Indoor/Outdoor Ceiling Electric Patio HeaterBest Ceiling Electric Patio Heater
The best electric patio heater is one you can plug into a typical 110-volt outlet on the wall. It should come without the need for a special adapter. That’s an attribute you can assign to this patio heater. In addition, it produces up to 1500 watts of radiant heat.
Since it has no moving parts, this patio heater is quiet. It provides for a peaceful time of relaxation with your friends and family. It has remote control capabilities so that you have the hands-free operation of the product. To ensure it works perfectly in the outdoors, the patio heater has been constructed to be completely waterproof.
- You can plug it into a regular 110-volt outlet
- It is silent, given that it has no moving parts
- Remote controlled for easy operation
- The remote control only works for up to 10 feet
- Some buyers have complained about it not producing enough heat
- May not effectively heat a big room
5. Fire Sense Telescoping Infrared Indoor/Outdoor HeaterBest for Small Spaces
If you are looking to heat a small space that’s not more than 9 feet, the Fire Sense Telescoping Heater is what you need. Since it relies on infrared rays, it isn’t affected by wind. Compared to gas patio heaters, this heater saves energy by more than 10 percent. Put it to use, and you will start to pay considerably less in terms of energy costs.
It is made of aluminum and is definitely weatherproof. What that means is that you can use it in virtually all kinds of conditions. Its 55-pound weight is what’s required for a more stable anchoring on the ground.
- The heat produced cannot be diverted by wind
- It saves energy by over 10 percent
- It is made to be weatherproof and can be used in all conditions
- It is not possible to move the electric element from one angle to another
- You need to cover the heating element to prevent damage by bad weather
- The light by the heating element may not be good for the eyes
Best Gas Patio Heaters
6. AmazonBasics Commercial Patio Heater, Havava BronzeBest Gas Patio Heater for Large Spaces
The AmazonBasics Commercial Patio Heater is best for use in settings where a lot of heat is needed. It has the ability to produce up to 46,000 BTU, making it suitable for large rooms and patios. This heater is great for indoor heating since it is affected by wind and other weather conditions.
It comes with a safety valve for automatic shut-off when there is a tilt. You don’t have to worry about the heater falling and causing an accident. For additional portability, the heater comes with built-in wheels.
- Suitable for heating substantially big spaces
- Has a safety valve for automatic shut off
- It comes with wheels for improved portability
- Prone to the effects of adverse weather conditions including wind
- Comes with incorrect lighting instructions
- Leaking gas may cause fire accidents
7. BestMassage Patio Heater Tall Hammered Finish Garden Outdoor Heater
Since your patio is in the outdoors, you need a heater that’s powerful enough. The BestMassage Patio Heater produces up to 41,000 BTU of heat. No matter how big your patio is, you should be able to feel warm. As the cold in the patio is eliminated, you can turn down the heat for a cooler ambiance.
This is a multi-functional patio heater that’s perfect for all occasions. You may use it on a cold night relaxing with friends, during a party or while fishing. For as long as you have something to do on your patio on a cold night, this is a perfect product for you.
- Comes with a safety value for automatic shut off
- Can be used on all kinds of occasions
- Made of high-quality stainless steel, which is durable
- Its base isn’t very stable
- The heater isn’t that much portable
- The kind of connector it comes with isn’t great
8. Dyna-Glo DGPH201BR 48000 BTU Premium Hammered Bronze Patio Heater
Gas patio heaters happen to provide the highest level of heat. Thus, they are suitable for heating larger outdoor patios. In that regard, this Dyna-Glo patio heater stands out. It provides up to 48,000 BTU of heat. If you are warming up for an outdoor party with family and friends, this is a must-have tool.
It comes with electronic ignition for easy start-up. To regulate the level of heat, you may rely on the controls that allow for variation. You can then change the level of heat, depending on how cold the night is.
- Comes with an anti-tilt safety valve
- Has wheels for easy portability
- Easy to ignite, thanks to the electronic ignition push button
- Wheels may disintegrate after a short time of usage
- Base arms seem to be of a lesser quality
- The neck metal part is delicate and easy to bend
9. Mr. Heater Corporation 29,000-45,000 BTU 540-Degree Tank TopBest Tank Top Gas Patio Heater
A good patio heater is one that can heat up a room in multiple directions at the same time. This Mr. Heater Corporation product has a 360-degree burner head. With that, you can easily place it at the center of the room and provide warmth to all your guests during a party.
Regardless of the size of your patio, this heater has a high capacity with between 30,000 and 45,000 BTU of heat energy. You are assured of safety, given the push button shut-off.
- Spreads heat in 360 degrees
- Comes with a safety shut-off button
- Has a high heat capacity of between 30,000 and 45,000 BTU
- Since it is a gas heater, its energy consumption is on the higher side
- Does not come with an automatic thermostat
- Has no fuel gauge to indicate the rate of fuel consumption
10. Golden Flame Resort Model 40,000 BTU Patio HeaterBest Flame Gas Patio Heater
If you are looking for a heavy duty patio heater, you should consider buying this Golden Flame Resort Model. It has a heat capacity of up to 40,000 BTU. Depending on how warm you want your patio to be, you can adjust the flame. That’s in addition to a multi-spark electronic ignition device.
This patio heater comes with wheels for easy mobility. Once you are through with using it in the outdoors, you can easily move it to the house for storage.
- Has a high heat capacity at up to 40,000 BTU
- Comes with mobility for easy movement
- Has a multi-spark electronic ignition for easy lighting
- Some buyers have reported not feeling the heat up to a certain length
- The wheels may not be as sturdy as expected
- It heats only above the seating level
11. Sunjoy Lawrence Floor-Standing Patio Heater, 88-Inch, Bronze Hammered FinishBest Gas Patio Heater for Large Spaces
The patio heater is one that can provide warmth in a sizeable room. This Sunjoy Lawrence Floor-Standing Patio Heater can heat the room for a radius of up to 9.5 feet. You can place it in a corner and warm up the room adequately for all your guests. It provides heat of up to 47,000 BTU.
You don’t have to struggle to light this heater. It comes with an ignition button and valve knob which work in tandem to light it up. With that, you will save a lot of time in getting the heater working. One thing you will appreciate about this patio heater is the safety shut-off valve which turns off the gas supply when the heater tips over.
- Made using a double-layer stainless steel head which makes it durable
- Provides heat up to 47,000 BTU
- Heats the room to a radius of 9 feet
- The package does not include a gas tank, so you have to buy it separately
- May pollute the air if used on a covered porch
- May lean slightly after the different parts have been put together
12. Fire Sense Hammer Tone Bronze Patio
Apart from providing you with adequate warmth, a patio heater should have durable burners, which resist the effects of heat and continued use. The Fire Sense Hammer Tone Bronze Patio Heater has a stainless steel burner that’s both sturdy and durable. Additionally, the heating grid is made of double mantles. That means you are able to get adequate warmth from this device.
Moving it between the house and patio is easy, given that it has a wheel assembly. Add to that the fact that it has an automatic shut-off safety valve and you have a product you cannot resist.
- Made of a durable stainless steel burner
- The automatic shut-off valve ensures utmost safety
- Comes with a Piezo ignition system for easy lighting
- Some of the but cups may begin to rust after a short while
- Previous owners have reported it being too high for a covered patio
- Likely to be knocked over by the wind
Best Wood Patio Heaters
13. Wood Pellet Outdoor Patio HeaterBest Portable Wood Patio Heater
When it comes to the level of heat released by a heater, this particular one stands out. On average, it supplies up to 90,000 BTU of heat, making it highly efficient. In fact, its operation cost of only half of what you would expect from a propane heater.
Even though it relies on wood fuel, it hardly produces any smoke. It relies on a drafting action that ensures the fire remains clean and efficient. Unlike other heaters which are too high or too low, this particular product will heat you from head to toe.
- It is an efficient patio heater that saves you money
- Provides for clean and efficient heating of your patio
- Comes with a set of locking wheels for easy mobility
- It may prove tough to assembly especially when working alone
- Needs a water-resistant cover for safe storage
- Adjusting the flow of pellets has been reported to be difficult for some users
14. Wood Pellet Outdoor Patio Heater – B07B44N78QBest patio and camping heating
If you are looking for a patio heater that can provide warmth to a wide area, this is one of the products you should consider buying. Its wood pellet feeding system relies on gravity to perform its function. The fire you get is not only clean but also very efficient. You will be surprised that it is a wood heater, given that it doesn’t produce smoke.
If you have a 300-square-feet patio or need heat up to a radius of 9 feet, this is the product for you. It provides head-to-toe heating with the fire being displayed on three sides of the device. Thus, you can easily place it at the center of the room for great results.
- Provides warmth for a radius of up to 10 feet
- Has a heat capacity of over 72,000 BTU
- Burns wood without producing any smoke
- A bit confusing to assemble
- Adjusting flow of pellets can be challenging
15. Q-Stoves Wood Pellet Outdoor HeaterBest Portable Wood Heater for Small Spaces
Like all the other wood pallet patio heaters, this particular product has a pellet feeding system that works with the assistance of gravity. In addition to leaving very little ash, the fire is virtually smokeless. When it comes to efficiency, it beats electric and propane heaters by far. Can the other two really beat the 106,000 BTU capacity?
One of the reasons you must make it an addition to your home is its portability. It is composed of various detachable sections so that you can pack it when going out camping. That makes it highly multi-functional, given it is not just restricted to heating the patio.
- Has a gravity pallet feeding system for safe and clean heating
- Highly portable, thus, suitable for camping
- It is efficient and can provide head up to a capacity of 106,000 BTU
- Fire may spread from the burn area into the hopper and catch the stored pellets
- Needs dry wood pellets to work
- Some reviewers have complained about the heat not being adequate
How to Choose a Patio Heater – The Ultimate Guide
Are you looking for a heater for your patio? Patio heaters provide for ultimate comfort when it comes to relaxing after a long day in the office. Instead of locking yourself inside the house, you can relax on a patio chair and have the time of your life.
However, you have to start by picking the right patio heater. Here are factors to consider before buying a heater for your patio.
There are several types of patio heaters, depending on the fuel type. These include:
Electric Patio Heaters
These heaters are very convenient because they don’t require any complicated installation. They come ready to use, and all you need to do is mount them (some are floor-standing) and plug them into an outlet. The only downside with these heaters is that you need to have an outlet close enough to keep them working.
For ongoing use, electricity tends to cost a bit more than propane and wood. The heaters, however, are easy to use and safe, especially in a covered or enclosed space.
Propane/Gas Patio Heaters
These heaters utilize gas/propane to deliver the heat. The great thing with them is that they are easy to install and add to your patio or yard. All you need to do is attach a gas tank, depending on the instructed size, and turn them on.
Many people consider them a bit costly to maintain because you have to keep on replacing the gas tank. They also heat quite fast and can be portable, allowing you to move one from one section of your yard to another.
Wood Patio Heaters
Wood patio heaters are quite common because of their convenience in the outdoor space. Although they need more maintenance considering you have to keep on adding wood to keep the warmth coming, they provide an ambiance that the electric and gas models fail to.
Some of these heaters may be tricky to ignite compared to other heating models, but the feel and smell that wood produces as it burns makes the tradeoff really worth it.
It depends on the kind of heater technology you find most efficient. You could pick anything between fan-forced, radiant, convection, and micathermic heaters. We take a detailed look at each of these patio heaters below:
- Convection Heaters. These are great for heating large patios for longer. They provide heat by circulating convection currents over a heating element. It could be oil, electric wire, or electric coil. While they are mainly suitable for the indoors, convection heaters also work well in outer spaces such as the patio. A good example is the oil-filled column heaters, which are great for heating rooms for longer.
- Radiant Heaters. Depending on how many people are sitting on the patio, radiant heaters are the best. They provide instant warmth to specific areas. Thus, you can use such a heater when alone on the patio. The heat is channeled directly to the area facing the heater. The warmth provided by radiant heaters is consistently warm. It easily makes life bearable in extremely cold weather.
- Micathermic Heaters. Combining the benefits of both radiant and convection heating, micathermic heaters are very efficient. After radiating heat off the panel, the heater circulates heated air all over the patio. It works with fan-less technology to prevent the room from recirculating dust. When it comes to noise, these are perhaps the best patio heaters.
- Fan-forced heaters. Fan-forced heaters can either be electric or gas-operated. Once the heat is produced at the source, it is spread throughout the room with the help of a fan. The fan blows warm air all over the room, thus providing the heating required.
To prevent overheating and fire, most patio heaters are equipped with workable safety features. Make sure that the heater you want to buy is safe enough. It should also be certified by a renowned quality assurance body as containing safe electrical components. If you are not careful, a patio heater can ignite a fire and make you suffer untold losses, especially if you don’t have the right insurance policy.
If you buy a fan-forced heater, then expect it to make a lot of noise. That’s contrary to the fan-less units which are quieter. However, with the advancement in technology, modern fan-forced heaters are quieter than those from previous years. Depending on how quiet you expect your patio heater to be, you can decide to buy either fan-less or fan-forced heaters.
How efficient a patio heater is will determine whether you will be able to save on your energy costs or not. So you better compare available options before making a final decision. Energy efficiency implies the heater can heat the patio adequately and with minimal energy consumption. Additionally, the patio heater ought to have an energy-saving mode, programmable timer, and adjustable thermostat. With these features, you can be sure of minimizing energy consumption even further.
How big is your patio? How exposed is it? The answers to these questions will determine the kind of patio heater you need. For a small, enclosed patio, the heating capacity of the heater doesn’t have to be very high. If the patio is expansive and exposed, then the capacity of the heater ought to be a little bit higher. You will see a BTU or Watts (in electric models) rating on these heaters, with higher rating meaning you get more heat. Check for the heating technology, indoor environment, and application for the heater.
A patio heater is essential in making the outdoor of your home comfortable. If you cannot stand the cold, use a heater to warm you and your visitors up. You can either buy an electric, gas, or wood fuel heater. It all depends on the amount of heat you expect as well as the amount of money you are willing to spend on energy. Electric heaters seem to be more efficient than their gas and wood fuel counterparts. However, wood fuel heaters are better than gas-powered ones when it comes to efficiency. In the end, the choice is yours. So, make a wise one.