There’s no denying that the kitchen is the heart of your home. This is where every member of your family stops by when they wake up or when they enter the house after a long day outside. For this reason, all the cooking activities may leave the air polluted, steamy and the surfaces greasy. To help purify the air and allow proper ventilation in your kitchen, you have to invest in the best range hoods.
Of all kitchen appliances, a range hood is the most overlooked yet it plays a crucial role in the overall functionality of your kitchen. This appliance is known by so many names such as vent hood, exhaust hood, a fume extractor, and an electric kitchen chimney. It helps create a clean environment for your cooking space while keeping your surfaces and cabinets from grease and other oily substances.
You will realize that the market is filled with a wide variety of kitchen hoods and it may be a daunting task to settle on the most functional and appropriate one for your cooking area. Not to worry as we have compiled a comprehensive list of the best range hoods available in the market that will help fight odor and improve the quality of air in your kitchen. Let’s dig in.
Top 14 Range Hoods Of 2020 Reviewed
1. Cosmo QS75 30-in Under-Cabinet Range HoodBest Airflow Displacement
With a superb airflow displacement of 900 CFM and two quality centrifugal motors, this range hood is just what your kitchen needs especially if you are looking for a combination of power and less noise. It comes with an inbuilt digital touchscreen with a backlight that can be remotely controlled. The kitchen hood is also equipped with Arc Flow filters that are removable and dishwasher-friendly for easy cleaning.
You don’t have to worry about cooking in a bad light since this vent hood is fitted with 1.5 Watt energy saving LED lights that provide adequate light for better visibility as you cook. The range hood’s sophisticated canopy design is elegant and will spice up your kitchen giving it a modern look. It’s made of 430-grade stainless steel that will complement most of your other kitchen appliances and provide you with years of service. The product comes with a five-year warranty and includes a 3 prong plug with power requirements of 120V/60Hz.
- Powerful airflow displacement
- Strong dual centrifugal motors
- Dishwasher friendly Arc flow filters
- Doesn’t vent to the rear side
- Instruction manual needs improvement
- Lights are a bit dim
2. Broan 423604 Under-Cabinet Range HoodBest Under Cabinet Design
Looking for a functional under the cabinet range hood? The Broan is your go-to brand for quality high-performance kitchen hoods that will greatly improve air quality in your kitchen. Designed to fit into 7 inches round ducts only, this range hood will offer you years of low maintenance service and quality air in your kitchen. It also features a protective lens that allows you to conveniently control the switches when cooking and distributes light evenly over your cooking top.
The kitchen hood has an air output of 190 CFM with a noise level of 6.5 Sones when the full settings have been turned on. The filters trap the grease quickly and are easy to clean. Better yet, the vent hood comes in a number of matching colors that will fit in with your type of kitchen. It comes with a 7-inch duct adapter and can accommodate BP87 dampers that are sold separately.
- Little maintenance needed
- Comes in matching colors
- Not ideal for big kitchens
- Doesn’t come with a vent shaft or damper
- Metal used is quite thin
3. Cosmo 5MU30 30-in Under-Cabinet Range HoodBest Convertible Range Hood
You will love the slim design of this under cabinet design from Cosmo that saves you space and brings elegance to your kitchen. It has an air flow displacement of 200 CFM that is powerful but quiet. The three-speed motor has a maximum noise level of 56 decibels, It has a convertible duct or ductless top with a removable rear duct. Measuring 30 inches, the vent hood will comfortably fit in most standard kitchens.
The 20 gauge brushed steel with a grade of 403 will provide you with unparalleled quality and extended service. It also features 5 buttons that are easy to operate. For adequate brightness, the range hood is fitted with 2 energy saving LED lights with a wattage of 3 watts. For superior filtration, the kitchen hood has aluminum filters that are durable and reusable. The product comes with a 5-year warranty.
- Powerful yet quiet
- 5 easy to operate buttons
- Made of heavy-duty 403-grade stainless steel
- Lacks some hardware installation
- Instruction manual needs improvement
- The fan could suck out fumes better
4. Chef 30” PS18 Under Cabinet Range HoodBest Modern Design
To start us off is this 30-inch vent hood from Chef, a brand rightly named after the masters of the culinary world. The range hood comes is as modern as these appliances can get with a contemporary design fully made of stainless steel and integrated with a digital control screen for improved user experience. Control of this vent hood is fully in your hands through the six settings with a powerful airflow displacement of 860 CFM and delay shut off that let’s customize the appliance.
To make cleaning easy, the Chef Kitchen hood has removable stainless steel filters that can be cleaned easily in the dishwasher. Better yet, the range hood has inbuilt energy saving LED lamps that illuminate your cooking with enough lights to meet your cooking needs. It also features a three-way venting system with a vertical venting of 6’’ and 10’’ rear adapter. Transform your kitchen with this elegant yet functional electric kitchen exhauster.
- Powerful airflow displacement of 860 CFM
- Modern design with digital control panel
- Three-way venting design
- Can’t be installed non-ducted
- Not ideal for a high-end electric stove
- The horizontal adapter needs modification before use
5. Proline Power PLJW – 185Best Space Saving Range Hood
Designed to save you space with its slim contours, the PLJW 185 Range Hood has a height of 5 inches and an airflow allowance of 600 CFM making it ideal for fitting under the cabinets. The kitchen hood is also fitted with cool energy-efficient LED bulbs that will light up your kitchen top. The range hood’s dynamic design allows proper ventilation where the rear panel can be removed for better performance. Made of 430 grade brushed stainless steel, this appliance is designed to last and offer you years of service
For quality air filtration, the kitchen hood is fitted with quality baffle filters which quickly changes the direction of grease filled fumes that may arise as you cook. The quality filters condense the grease allowing better airflow and less noise with a maximum noise level of 5.0 sones. It also has a 4-speed dual blower that ensures quality air in your kitchen.
- Space saving design
- Less noise and improved air filtration
- Dishwasher safe baffle filters
- LED replacement lights not readily available
- Needs stronger mounting bolts
- High settings are quite noisy
6. Winflo 30″ Wall Mount Range Hood
Made of premium stainless steel and measuring 30 inches, this wall mount vent hood will be a great addition to your kitchen. It has a telescopic chimney that fits standard chimneys measuring 7.5 to 8.5 feet. At high settings, the range hood has a noise level of 65 decibels which provides you with ultra-quiet performance with an airflow output of 400 CFM. It also features two 2W bulbs that will light up your cooking area.
The vent hood features a touch control panel for easy operation with a fan with three-speed levels. It also features aluminum grease filters with an allowance for ductless carbon filters that are sold separately. The parts come with a three-year warranty and are ETL compliant to US and Canada standards. The voltage requirements are 120V/60Hz.
- Ultra-quiet performance
- Aluminum grease filters
- ETL complain safety standards
- Reduced airflow displacement
- Top of the duct doesn’t have a cover
- Some find the LED light too dim and blue
7. AKDY 30″ Wall Mount Kitchen Hood
AKDY brings you this 30-inch range hood with a modern European design that will complement your kitchen. The three-level fan has an airflow displacement of 400 CFM with a noise level of 65 decibels. To help effectively implement every step in your recipe, you can rely on the range hood’s timer and clock. The kitchen hood can be mounted on the wall with a ceiling height requirement of 8 to 9 feet.
The range hood is made of brushed stainless steel that is built to last. The two aluminum air filters will bring you quality air with an option to install ductless carbon filters which are sold separately. The motor has a wattage requirement of 193 watts with a 1.5-watt bulb. The vent location is at the top and the parts come with a three warranty.
- Modern design
- Three level fan speed with minimum noise
- Option for ductless carbon filters
- Better installation instructions required
- Hood cover can be difficult to line up
- Not ideal for high ceilings
8. Kitchen Bath Collection STL75 – LED Range HoodBest LED-Lit Range Hood
Upgrade your kitchen with this 30-inch wall mountable kitchen hood from Kitchen Bath Collection. It features two pieces of adjustable chimneys with sleek edges that will give your kitchen top an elegant look. Actually, so masterly crafted is the vent hood that you will not see any visible welded seams on all three sides of the chimney. It also features a touch screen control panel that has a backlight and is user-friendly
Another key feature of this range hood is the two LED lights with 49 bulbs on each light which ensures maximum brightness as you cook. The flexible aluminum duct can be attached to a wall or to a ceiling. It also comes with two aluminum micro cell grease filters that can be removed and washed in the dishwasher. You can also turn it into a ventless range hood without the need for an additional kit. The body is made of high grade 304 stainless steel that will blend in with other appliances in your kitchen. The UL-certified motor powers the fan that as three-speed settings.
- Can be mounted on the wall or ceiling
- Easily converted into a vent-less design
- Adequate brightness with 49 bulbs on each LED light
- The motherboard could give you issues
- Some find the light switches difficult to operate
- Needs more instructions on operation
9. FOTILE JQG7501 30″ Range HoodBest High-End Range Hood
FOTILE brings you this high-end range hood that took three years of research to create and design so as to address all the air quality needs in your kitchen. For better ventilation, the baffle plate easily opens up to cover up to five burners within 6 feet. The revolutionary 90 degrees fume plate opens automatically and uses two distinct functions to prevent the cooking fumes from spreading. The superb fume processing capability filtrates oil by 95% and reduces odor by 97%.
It also has a double centrifugal fan system which increases extraction ability, and quickly absorbs and discharges fumes. It also features a user-friendly design with a screen lock function and a time delay that absorbs the fume for up to two minutes after you switch off. It also has a tempered glass surface and a 500 Lux LED light. The oil filter can be easily removed for quick cleaning while the oversized oil cup means less frequency of cleaning required. FOTILE offers a 5-year warranty on this luxurious product.
- User-friendly design with screen lock feature
- The superb fume processing capability
- Unique side drafted wall mount design
- Costly to install
10. Chef Range Hood 30” PS38
Turn your kitchen into a professional culinary center with this Pro Performance range hood. It features a powerful 950 CFM air displacement with dual motors for efficient fume absorption. Cleaning any trapped grease is a breeze through the innovative steam auto clean feature that turns the water into hot steam that dissolves the grease. You can comfortably operate the button-less digital control screen that lets you set various features. Control panel has an easy to read screen that features a digital clock that comes in handy when cooking.
The stainless steel baffle filters are easy to clean using a dishwasher. It also features two LED lights that are bright enough to brighten up your cooking area. Its voltage requirement is 120 volts with a drop in installation style.
- 950 CFM air flow displacement
- Dual motor for efficient fume absorption
- Easy to clean
- Digital clock burns out fast
- Can be easy
- Installation procedure needs modification
11. Broan F403004 4-Way Convertible Range HoodBest Convertible Range Hood
Versatility is the highlight of this 4 Way Convertible Range Hood from Broan which is a brand that is reputable for creating functional and elegant kitchen hoods. This appliance can fit any application whether a vertical and horizontal ducted opening or a 7’’ round duct. The 30-inch vent hood has both a rectangular 3 ¼ ‘’ height which brings versatility to its functionality.
It also features a protective lamp lens and efficiently illuminates your kitchen top using a 75W bulb that isn’t included in the package. This under-cabinet range hood also features a two-speed fan control with washable aluminum filters. With an air output of 190 CFM for the round duct and 165 CFM for the 10’’ discharge, this kitchen hood will ensure quality air in your kitchen. The package includes a 3 ¼ ‘’ by 10 ‘’ damper and a 7’’ adapter.
- Versatile 4-way design
- Dual airflow displacement capacity
- Some complain that motor burns out fast
- Motor not powerful enough
- Modification needed during installation
12. VESTA 30’’ Range Hood
If you are looking for a kitchen hood with powerful suction power, then this product will get the job done. With an airflow displacement of 700 CFM, the hood will quickly and efficiently get rid of any fumes from your cooking area. With a beautiful under the cabinet design, this ducted kitchen hood is very quiet with a maximum noise level of 65 decibels.
Installation is a breeze since all the necessary hardware has been included in the package. It comes with three optional vent installation designs and a lifetime warranty for the motor. You don’t have to worry about cleaning the stainless steel filters can be thrown in the dishwasher while the steel body can be wiped with a damp cloth.
- Easy to clean
- Easy to install using 3 optional vent connectors
- Powerful 700 CFM/860 CFM airflow displacement
- Manuals have spelling errors
- The fan may be loud
- Doesn’t come with a plug-in power cord
13. SINDA Copper Range Hood
The first thing that will strike you about this range hood is its beautiful copper color that has been perfectly blended to give your kitchen a rustic look. The antique finish is achieved using handcrafted copper and features two 50 watt bulbs that light up your cooking area and can be dimmed to suit the mood in the kitchen.
The baffle filters are made using 304-grade stainless steel and are reusable through cleaning them in the dishwasher. The hood has a professional liner and a powerful Sinda HS3L motor that will efficiently take out all the fumes. It’s also easy to operate using the electronic digital touch control buttons.
- Beautiful handcrafted copper design
- 50-watt dimmable lights
- Powerful internal motor
- Very expensive
- Delivery takes time
- Not ideal for small kitchen spaces
14. Zephyr AK2100BS 30″ Power Typhoon Series Under Cabinet HoodBest Self Cleaning Range Hood
Fitted with a self-cleaning filter-less system, you won’t have to worry about grease build-up in your kitchen with this innovative under the cabinet hood. The residue cups can be easily cleaned in the dishwasher. You can also choose from a variety of airflow displacements options that include 590 CFM, 390 CFM, and 290 CFM output specifications. The 850 CFM model is powerful with a noise leveling ability of 0.9 to 5 sones.
- Self-cleaning system
- A variety of air output specifications
- Ultra-quiet yet powerful
- Installation is a headache
- Complaints of poor quality
- May have a short working life
How to Choose the Best Range Hoods: The Ultimate Buying Guide
To most people, one of the most memorable things about their lives is coming home to a well-cooked meal and filing their mouths with tasty delicacies. For sure, the kitchen is one of the most important places in your homes. It’s here that you and your loved ones come to honor hunger pangs and catch up on each other’s lives. But every cook or chef will tell you that, culinary art though rewarding, it’s often messy and backbreaking. For this reason, having a toaster oven, microwave or a range hood over your kitchen top is one of the things that your kitchen should have.
If you look at some of the most beautiful kitchen designs, you will realize that range hoods are an important part of the puzzle. They are some of the most overlooked kitchen appliances yet their role can’t be underestimated. A range hood often called a kitchen hood or a vent hood is solely responsible for the quality of air in your kitchen. Cooking emits fumes and greasy substance that is not only a headache to clean but also a health hazard in your kitchen.
Why Invest in a Range Hood?
- Air quality – As mentioned above, vent hoods are designed to absorb fumes and soggy outputs from your kitchen which improves the quality of air in your cooking area. A kitchen hood has a motorized fan that which either channels the air pollutants outside or filters or recirculates them.
- Reduced Odor –Cooking emits various smells which can be heavenly when hungry but tend to linger long after you are done the cooking. Having an electric stove chimney will help suck out these unwanted smells leaving your kitchen in a fresh state.
- Comfort – When cooking, a lot of heat is generated which may be uncomfortable to you, the chef and your family. A range hood is designed to get rid of any excess steam and create a comfortable cooking space.
- Easy cleaning – Every chef will agree that cleaning up the kitchen and everything in it is one of the parts of the cooking process, With a vent hood, grease and oily substances will be condensed preventing them from building up which saves a lot of time when cleaning.
- Lighting – Most range hoods are fitted with LED lights that accommodate a number of bulbs which light up your cooking area and ensure enough brightness as you cook.
What are the Common Types of Range Hoods?
Some of the common designs of kitchen hoods that you will find in the market include;
- Under-cabinet hoods – Just like the name, these are placed under the cabinet above the stove and come in a variety of designs. They can be mounted on the wall or ceiling and can also be ducted or not.
- Wall-mount hoods – These are similar to the ones above but mount on the wall instead of being attached directly under the cabinet.
- Chimney hoods – The key feature of such types of hoods is that they have a tunnel that goes up and can’t be installed under a cabinet.
- Island kitchen hoods – These are designed to fit in an island kitchen design where they are attached directly to the ceiling.
- Downdraft range hoods – This type of design is popular with kitchen islands as well since it pops up once you need to use it.
- Range hood inserts – These are the space-saving kitchen and are often hidden into the cabinetry and appear when proper ventilation is need.
Common Terms Relating to Range Hoods
When you go shopping for a kitchen hood, you will come across the following terms that describe the type of fume exhaustion of a particular appliance. They are;
- Ducted/Vented Range Hood – This type of hood is designed to channel all the fumes outside which completely eradicates any air pollutants. Ducts are often installed during construction and when shopping for a hood you have to ensure that it can easily fit into the available duct without much modification.
- Non-ducted/ Ventless / Recirculating Hoods – Here, the bad air is pulled through charcoal filters which get rid of the irritants and flows back the clean air back into the kitchen.
- Convertible Range Hoods – These are hoods that provide a combination of both ducted and non-ducted features.
Factors to Consider When Shopping for a Range Hood
- Type of Hood – Depending on the design of your kitchen and your cooking needs, you may opt to go for a vented or non-ducted vent hood. Ducted hoods are often bulky since they require a tunnel to release the polluted air outside. The vented hoods also perform better than vent-less ones since they suck out all the air and channel it outside.
- Technical Features –Depending on the amount of activity in your kitchen, you have to ensure that the hood’s airflow displacement that is calculated in Cubic Feet per Minute (CFM) is equal or higher than the heat output by your cooking appliance.
- Maintenance – One thing that you have to ensure is that the hood is easy to clean especially the filters that often build up grease. Low maintenance hoods are ideal and their replacement parts should be readily available.
All in all, installing a well-crafted range hood will aesthetically transform your cooking space. It will ensure that your loved ones can hang around the kitchen and watch as you show your culinary skills. We hope that this review has comprehensively covered most of the things you need to know as you step out to shop for the best range hood to meet your kitchen needs.