We all love waffles. They have been around as far back as the 14th century and currently remain the king of the breakfast table, and for good reason. Waffle enthusiasts everywhere will tell you the qualities of a good waffle. While it’s possible to make something that remotely resembles a waffle using a griddle pan, to really achieve all those qualities, what you need is a good waffle machine
There are different kinds of waffle makers. Each fine-tuned to make different kinds of waffles. We have those that make American or deep Belgian waffles and others that make Scandi-style waffles. The latter are crunchy on the outside yet soft in the middle. They are, however, not as big and fluffy as the traditional waffles. We also have some with multiple functions including, panini and toasting functions. We even have rotating waffle makers whereby you can flip the iron over during the baking process to give out an overall better-looking waffle.
To help you in your quest for the ideal waffle machine, we have scoured the myriad of options out there and consulted our waffle lovers to present you with our cheat sheet of the best waffle makers today.
Top 10 Waffle Makers Of 2020 Reviewed
- Top 10 Waffle Makers Of 2020 Reviewed
- 1. KRUPS GQ502D Belgian Waffle Maker
- 2. All-Clad 99011GT Stainless Steel Waffle Maker
- 3. Presto 03510 FlipSide Waffle Maker
- 4. Cuisinart WMR-CA Round Classic Waffle Maker
- 5. Hamilton Beach 26030 Flip Waffle Maker
- 6. BLACK+DECKER WMB505 Belgian Waffle Maker
- 7. Chef’s Choice WafflePro Express 840B
- 8. NordicWare 15040 Cast Aluminum Stovetop Waffle Iron
- 9. Oster CKSTWFBF21 Belgian Flip Waffle Maker
- 10. Chef’s Choice 854 Classic Pro Waffle Maker
- Choosing The Best Waffle Maker – The Ultimate Buying Guide
1. KRUPS GQ502D Belgian Waffle MakerWaffle Maker With Removable Plates
This waffle maker has made it to our number 1 spot for consistently delivering delicious waffles that have that crispy exterior and fluffy interior. The Krups Waffle Maker allows you to cook 4 slices at the same time. It comes with audible alerts so you don’t always have to keep watching the machine. There are 5 adjustable browning levels to give you more control in th2 cooking. And it can store vertically or horizontally.
- Removable plates with nonstick coating for easy cleaning
- Consistent results
- Audible beep allows you to set-it-and-forget-it
- Cooks slow
- Expensive at its original price (over $80)
- Some users have reported that the beep malfunctions
2. All-Clad 99011GT Stainless Steel Waffle MakerWaffle Maker For Thick Waffles
This is a true Belgian waffle maker. Beautifully thick and evenly cooked waffles produced every time. There are 7 browning settings, beeping alerts, and lights, a locking handle, and it even comes with a recipe booklet. The nonstick coating and removable drip tray allow for easy cleanup. And the highly polished stainless steel body ain’t that bad to look at either.
- Versatile (7 browning settings to cater to every waffle preference)
- Easy cleaning
- Consistent results
- Gets too hot when cooking
- Very heavy
3. Presto 03510 FlipSide Waffle MakerWaffle Maker For The Money
This waffle maker definitely takes up space on your kitchen counter compared to other traditional waffle machines. But it more than makes up for its larger footprint with the quality of Belgian waffles it produces – crisp, fluffy, and golden brown. You only need three minutes of cooking time before you’re able to enjoy your delicious waffles. And there’s even a countdown timer to let you know when your breakfast will be ready.
- 7-inch Belgian waffles cooked to perfection
- Stores vertically to save space
- Very durable
- No heat adjustment
- Heating element doesn’t turn off when cooking is done
- The timer uses a lithium battery with a 1-year lifecycle
4. Cuisinart WMR-CA Round Classic Waffle MakerWaffle Maker For Thin Waffles
If you like thin, super-crunchy waffles, then you might be interested in picking up Cuisinart’s Round Classic Waffle Maker. This model can only bake one round waffle at a time (6 1/2 inches in diameter, 1/2 inch thick) but it consistently produces the perfectly crunchy waffles that some people prefer.It comes with a round nonstick cooking plate with four quarters, dual indicator lights, 5 browning settings, and will stand vertically for storing.
- Has 5 browning levels
- Very affordable
- Has a 3-year warranty
- Only makes 1 waffle at a time
- Feels flimsy
- Not for people who prefer thick Belgian-style waffles
5. Hamilton Beach 26030 Flip Waffle MakerWaffle Maker For Thick Waffles
Hamilton Beach’s Flip Belgian Waffle Maker makes it on our list for several reasons. Not only does it bake thick, fluffy waffles for us to enjoy, it comes with variable doneness settings, indicator lights, and removable nonstick plates that are dishwasher-safe. The drip tray is also dishwasher-safe.
- Handle stays cool to the touch
- Removable and dishwasher-safe plates and drip tray
- Long preheat time
- Doesn’t produce really crispy waffles
- Flimsier compared to other pro-styled models
6. BLACK+DECKER WMB505 Belgian Waffle MakerWaffle Maker For Large Family
Belgian waffles are known for being large enough to be eaten in one serving. If that is what you would like to make, then the BLACK+DECKER WMB505 is the machine to buy. With this device, you will get waffles with a maximum diameter of 7.25 inches. Since you will be using non-stick plates, you will find it very easy sliding the ready waffles out. Besides, the non-stick plates are extremely easy to clean.
It is a safe waffle maker, given that it features a cool-touch handle for opening and closing. So, you don’t have to wait until the machine cools down to be able to do that. When the waffle is already heated enough for you to start cooking, you will know by looking at the Ready Indicator LED light. The best thing is that this device can easily be stored in your kitchen cabinet, thanks to the Vertical Storage capabilities.
- Prepares large-sized Belgian waffles
- Comes with easy-to-use and easy-to-clean non-stick plates
- The handles feature cool-touch capabilities
- Reports of the device stalling abruptly
- Complaints about not getting full waffles
- No indicator to show when the waffle is ready
7. Chef’s Choice WafflePro Express 840BWaffle Maker For Thick Waffles
Crispy-on-the-outside and fluffy-on-the-inside waffles are a sure thing if you’re cooking with the Chef’s Choice WafflePro Express 840B. And it does that in less than 90 seconds! The appliance comes with a unique “floating” top plate that ensures uniform thickness. It also comes with a toggle switch that allows you to choose between two settings: “crisp exterior/moist interior” and “evenly baked.”
- Beeps when preheated and done the cooking
- Heats up and cooks fast
- Thorough manual
- Doesn’t cook thin batter well
- Not for feeding large groups
- Sides and top can get too hot
8. NordicWare 15040 Cast Aluminum Stovetop Waffle IronWaffle Maker For Thick Waffles
If you prefer cooking waffles by hand, you may be interested in getting the NordicWare Stovetop Belgium Waffle Maker. This model is compact and easy to store. It bakes 4 delicate, crisp waffles at a time. The cast aluminum material enables the waffle machine to heat up evenly and consistently. And it’s easy to clean up. The only problem is this – you need to learn how to cook waffles the “old fashioned” way.
- Easy to store
- Easy to clean
- The learning curve can be steep; requires someone experienced in cooking waffles
- The waffles tend to stick
9. Oster CKSTWFBF21 Belgian Flip Waffle MakerWaffle Maker For Thick Waffles
Say goodbye to soggy Belgian waffles with the Oster Thick Belgian Flip Waffle Maker. For a reasonable price, you can cook extra crispy or light and fluffy 1 1/2-inch thick waffles. The nonstick coating and removable drip tray ensure easy cleanup. And the indicator lights let you know what’s going on inside your favorite appliance.
- Heats up quickly
- Easy to use
- Consistent results
- Plates cannot be removed for washing
- Takes up quite a bit of counter space
- No warning sound to let you know the waffles are done
10. Chef’s Choice 854 Classic Pro Waffle MakerWaffle Maker For Thick Waffles
Not all waffles should be made equal. After all, everyone likes their waffles a certain way. With the Chef’s Choice 854 Classic, you can choose to cook it according to your preferred heat and time. You get beeping alerts when the waffle maker has preheated and when it has finished cooking. And you also get consistently delicious results.
- Beeping alerts
- Locks for storage
- Easy to use controls
- Sides and top can get too hot
- There’s a learning curve when using the different settings (if you can believe it)
Choosing The Best Waffle Maker – The Ultimate Buying Guide
There’s no better way to start your day than with a deliciously cooked waffle or two… or three. And you don’t need to run over to the Waffle House to get them. You just need the right appliance.
There are a lot of waffle makers available today and they all have varying features that allow them to cook waffles a certain way. So, how do you know which one will cook a waffle in the way that you prefer? Well, we’ve got just the guide to help you out.
Type of Waffle Maker
There are different kinds of waffle makers you might want to buy. They include the standard, cast iron, Belgian, and the flip/ rotating waffle makers. To help you to make a clear distinction among these various types, we discuss them in greater detail below:
- Standard: The other name for this type is the American Waffle Maker. It is used to make round waffles commonly eaten by people in the USA. When they come out of the device, the waffles look exactly like the ones you would find in the store.
- Cast-Iron: This model is great for use on a stove. That is the reason it is sometimes referred to as the stovetop waffle maker.
- Belgian: The Belgian waffle maker is a popular one, given the size of waffles, it is able to produce. The waffles produced are thick, square, and crispy outside. When you dig inside, you will be confronted by a flavorful fluffy waffle.
- Flip/Rotating: The name of this waffle maker comes from the fact that it can be flipped while being used to make waffles. Because of that flip feature, the device is capable of evenly cooking waffles on both sides.
What Kind of Waffles do You Prefer?
Belgian waffles are thick and fluffy with deep pockets for holding syrup, fruits, and other delicious toppings that you love. If this is the kind of waffle you prefer to gobble, then you should consider KRUPS GQ502D Belgian or the All-Clad 99011GT Stainless Steel Belgian.
American waffles are more on the thin and crispy with shallower pockets in comparison. If this is more your style, then you should pick something like the Cuisinart WMR-CA Round Classic .
If you want to be able to cook more than just waffles in your waffle maker, then the BLACK+DECKER G48TD 3-in-1 Waffle Maker or something similar may be your best bet.
How good are You at Cooking Waffles?
This may seem like a silly question to ask but some really good models are more suited for experienced waffle makers (the human kind) such as the NordicWare 15040 Cast Aluminum Stovetop Belgium Waffle Iron.
If you’re more on the inexperienced side of the waffle cooking spectrum, you may want to consider a model that offers beeping alerts and variable doneness settings to let you know you’ve achieved the level of waffle doneness you prefer. One good choice with these features is the Hamilton Beach 26030 Flip Belgian Waffle Maker.
How Many cleanups are You Willing to do?
After enjoying a plate of waffle goodness, you’ll need to clean up your mess. The level of cleaning you’ll have to do may depend on your waffle maker. Some models have a nonstick coating while others also have removable plates such as the KRUPS GQ502D Belgian Waffle Maker.
Some models also feature a drip tray to make sure you don’t leave a mess on your countertop such as the All-Clad 99011GT Stainless Steel Belgian. Others, like the NordicWare 15040 Cast Aluminum Stovetop Belgium Waffle Iron, can be placed entirely in the sink for cleaning.
Additional Features to Consider
- Durability: When buying a waffle maker, make sure that it is capable of withstanding several rounds of use. Even better, it should last for years before you require to replace it. So, check that it is made of sturdy and strong material. That way you can be sure that it will be able to withstand the ravages of daily use without breaking down.
- Non-Stick Plate: Having a machine with non-stick plates is very important. It ensures that you can easily remove the cooked waffles. Also, non-stick plates are infinitely easy to clean. If you want a waffle maker that provides greater convenience, go for one with non-stick plates.
- Easy Storage: When it comes to storage, the ability of a kitchen implement to take up very minimal space in the cabinet is one of the most important considerations to make. So, make sure that the machine you buy is compact enough to be kept together with the rest of your kitchen appliances.
- Indicator Lights: When a waffle maker has indicator lights, it removes the guesswork from the cooking process. If anything, it will mean standing next to the machine to know when the waffles are ready. That is why you should check that it has indicator lights for showing when it is well heated and when the waffles are fully cooked.
- Insulation: A waffle maker should be well-insulated to protect you from getting scorched when you touch it. The most important part that should be insulated is the handles. They should be safe for you to lift the machine without burning your hands.
- Thermostats: The best waffle makers come with internal thermostats to ensure the precise regulation of the internal temperature. It the thermostat is adjustable, you can set the machine to cook at a certain temperature depending on the type of butter you are using.
What’s Your Budget?
In the world of waffle making, price and quality do not necessarily go hand in hand. Yes, our number one pick, the KRUPS GQ502D Belgian Waffle Maker, is a bit on the costly side. It is well worth the expense. But the Cuisinart WMR-CA Round Classic costs less than $30 and it produces consistently crispy American style waffles. In short, whatever your budget is, you’re bound to find a really good waffle maker in your price range.
Lastly, you need to keep in mind that a waffle maker is only as good as its butter. Sometimes, the fault is not in the maker but in the batter. Instead of following the directions found in the back of a pancake mix box, maybe you should try out the manufacturer’s recommended recipes. You just might surprise yourself.
We understand how much you enjoy your waffles for breakfast. That is why we have taken the trouble to show you some of the best products out there. From the list of devices, we have discussed here, you should be able to find a perfect waffle maker for you.
In the buying guide, we have summarized the important points we used to pick the products we reviewed. We believe that it is a good way to start your search for the best waffle maker.