The enjoyment of your yoga practice isn’t dependent on your mat. It definitely isn’t a requirement for practicing yoga. But it does help determine how happy you are transitioning from one pose to another, how stable you feel during your practice, and how centered your mind is. Unfortunately, not all yoga mats are created equal. A variety of materials can be used to construct a yoga mat such as rubber, neoprene, latex, and cotton.
Yoga mats also come in different sizes and thickness. And the prices can really vary. The massive variety of yoga mats in the market makes buying the best yoga mat more of an ordeal than it should be. It’s an even bigger ordeal if you buy the wrong one. With that in mind, we decided to find the 12 best yoga mats to make your life easier.
Top 12 Yoga Mats Of 2020 Reviewed
- Top 12 Yoga Mats Of 2020 Reviewed
- 1. Manduka PRO Yoga Mat
- 2. BalanceFrom GoYoga All-Purpose High-Density Non-Slip Exercise Yoga Mat
- 3. Yoga Accessories 1/4″ Extra Thick Deluxe Yoga Mat
- 4. Jade Harmony Professional Mat
- 5. AmazonBasics ½-Inch Extra Thick Exercise Yoga Mat
- 6. Liforme Yoga Mat
- 7. Hugger Mugger Para Rubber
- 8. TOPLUS Yoga Mat – Classic ¼-Inch Pro Yoga Mat
- 9. Gaiam Essentials Thick Yoga Mat Fitness Exercise Mat
- 10. YOGO Mat Ultralight
- 11. Jade Travel Yoga Mat
- 12. PrAna E.C.O
- How To Choose The Best Yoga Mat: The Ultimate Buying Guide
1. Manduka PRO Yoga Mat
There’s a lot to love about the Manduka Pro Yoga Mat. It has a lifetime guarantee, made with eco-certified safe PVC, comes in two sizes (71 inches long and 85 inches long), and is the best yoga mat for bad knees due to the cushioning it provides.
- Provides extra support for your joints
- Perfect for yogis with latex allergies
- Easy to keep clean
- Very heavy
- Very expensive especially for beginners or occasional practitioners
- Still slippery for some yogis even after “breaking it in.
Also, check the price on Walmart.
2. BalanceFrom GoYoga All-Purpose High-Density Non-Slip Exercise Yoga Mat
The BalanceFrom GoYoga All-Purpose Yoga Mat is the best when it comes to providing a firm surface for exercising, no matter the side on which you place it. It has state-of-the-art slip-resistant capabilities, which prevent injuries when working out. With this mat, you don’t have to worry about your exercise style – you will maintain your balance, regardless. It comes with a moisture-resistant technology, which means you can wash the mat with soap and water and get it dry fast. No wonder it is considered the best all-purpose yoga mat in the market today.
It has a high-density, eco-friendly material, which measures 68 by 24 inches and is ¼-inch thick. Not only will you be able to stretch on it fully but your elbows, knees, hips, and spine will also be significantly cushioned when working out on hard floors. Transporting this mat is natural, given the easy strapping feature that turns it into a compact, lightweight luggage. You will get the yoga mat strap free of charge and enjoy a 100 per cent satisfaction guarantee. That is in addition to a two-year replacement warranty.
- The ¼-inch high-density mat is comfortable to exercise on
- It comes with a double-sided non-slip surface to protect you no matter where it lies
- A lightweight mat that is easy to strap and transport
- Some users said the mat shed off quickly within a short time
- Reports of the mat turning out to be cheaply made
- Some users said the non-slip function doesn’t work properly
3. Yoga Accessories 1/4″ Extra Thick Deluxe Yoga Mat
This is the best yoga mat for beginners for several reasons. It’s sold at a very low price so you don’t have to invest a ton of money if you’re not sure you want to stick it out for the long haul. Even yogis who only practice occasionally might prefer to keep their spending at a minimum.
- Extra cushioning provided by the 1/4 inch thick PVC foam
- Very roomy at 74 inches (6 inches longer than most budget mats)
- Comes in 29 different colors
- Sensitive knees may still feel the hard floor beneath the mat
- The mat does have a bit of a chemical smell initially
- It can be a bit slippery during the first few uses.
4. Jade Harmony Professional Mat
The Jade Harmony Professional Yoga Mat has an open-cell construction, easily absorbing moisture to prevent you from slipping which makes it the best yoga mat for hot yoga. Even at your sweatiest, you’ll still get a fantastic grip so you can focus on your pose instead of worrying about falling.
- Slip-resistant surface
- Provides good support for your knees
- Made from 100% natural rubber
- Needs to be cleaned a lot since it absorbs your sweat
- A bit on the heavy side
- Strongly smells like rubber for a while
5. AmazonBasics ½-Inch Extra Thick Exercise Yoga Mat
It is not enough for a yoga mat to have non-slip qualities. A key consideration should be whether the surface is structured enough to give you more traction. That is what you will get from the AmazonBasics 1/2-Inch Extra Thick Exercise Yoga Mat. But that’s not all. Given the ½-Inch thickness, this mat is comfortable enough to cushion you against pressure on critical parts of the body. It protects the elbows, knees, hips, and spine from discomfort and possible injuries due to the workout. It measures 74 by 24 by 0.5 inches, which means it can accommodate people of any height.
So, what types of exercises can you perform on this mat? The answer is simple – the mat is great for Pilates, yoga, and other activities. And, you can carry it with you to and from the gym, thanks to its lightweight nature. The package includes a carrying strap to make it easy to transport it – once you have folded it, you only need to hang it on your shoulder to carry it. You can be sure that this yoga mat is going to last for a long time since it is made from durable foam.
- The textured surface makes it possible for you to gain extra traction
- It is made from extra-thick foam, which comfortably cushions and supports
- The lightweight foam mat is easy to fold and carry to and from the gym
- Some users said they received it without a carrying strap
- The mat tends to be slippery when exposed to wetness
- It is not suitable for use while wearing shoes
6. Liforme Yoga Mat
Hands down, the best yoga mat for Ashtanga and Iyengar yoga is the Liforme Yoga Mat. The material remains grippy even when you’re sweating buckets and the alignment system marking the surface of the mat helps you perfect all those poses. The mat is longer, wider, and thicker than many others in the market. And the manufacturer even throws in a really cool bag for the mat.
- Alignment system
- Very grippy even when practicing hot yoga
- Eco-friendly (made of non-toxic and body-friendly products, PVC-free)
- Hefty price ($140!!)
- Hefty weight
- Breaks down a bit faster than other mats in this price range
7. Hugger Mugger Para Rubber
The Hugger Mugger Para Rubber is an eco-friendly alternative to the Jade Harmony. It’s made out of natural rubber that’s soft and springy. It’s 1/4-inch thick so you get some extra cushioning and support. The mat is very sticky that slipping while transitioning between poses during Vinyasa or Ashtanga yoga won’t be a problem.
- Excellent grip
- Extra cushioning
- Heavy (6.5 lbs)
- Persistent, rubber smell
- For some yogis, transitioning is difficult
8. TOPLUS Yoga Mat – Classic ¼-Inch Pro Yoga Mat
Traditionally, yoga mats were made from EVA, NBR or PVC materials. Recently, manufacturers have been making a shift to eco-friendly materials such as TPE. If you are an environmentally-conscious individual that seeks to reduce your carbon footprint drastically, the TOPLUS Yoga Mat is what you need to buy. It is considered the best non-slip fitness exercise mat, ever. The mat features a sticky, non-slip texture on both sides for superior grip and excellent traction no matter the form of yoga you are practising. It is suitable for use on a variety of surfaces, including cement floors, tile floors, and wood floors.
The 6 mm thick yoga mat is comfortable to lie on since it doesn’t fall on either extreme of thickness. It will optimally protect your knees, joints, and back against any resultant discomfort. You will also find it easier to balance on the floor. It is easy to carry to and from the gym, given its lightweight nature. The convenient carrying strap is the best when it comes to slipping onto your shoulder. It measures 72 by 24 inches, making it suitable for people of any height. When you buy this yoga mat, you will get a one-year hassle-free warranty for replacements. If it has any issue, contact TOPLUS via email and they will sort you out.
- It is made from the environmentally-friendly TPE material
- It has a sticky, non-slip texture on both sides for extra traction
- The mat comes with a convenient carrying strap for easy transport
- Given the TPE material, this mat may not last as long as you would expect
- Not suitable for use in the sun or direct heat
- It is mostly available in dull colors
9. Gaiam Essentials Thick Yoga Mat Fitness Exercise Mat
The Gaiam Essentials Thick Yoga Mat is the best when it comes to the range of exercises. With this mat, you may do Pilates, yoga, and all other floor exercises without worrying about slipping. The 2/5-inch thick mat, providing you with all the comfort you will need when working out on hard surfaces. You can use it on your knees or while standing. The mat will give you all the support you need. It is made from PCV, which is free of BBP, DBP, DEHP, DIDP, DINP, and DNOP. The mat is undoubtedly an environmentally-friendly product since it is not going to leave toxins all over the place.
You can use this yoga mat at home or anywhere else. It comes with a convenient carrying strap, which allows you to slip it over your shoulder to transport it. In terms of dimensions, the mat is a 72 by 24 by 2/5 inches affair. That large size is perfect for adults of all sizes. The only thing to be careful about is that you will need to air this mat for some time before using it. That is not necessarily a bad thing – rather, it is a way of readying the mat for use.
- It is an ultra-thick mat that provides you with all the comfort you need
- The PVC material is toxic-free and environmentally-friendly
- The yoga mat carrier strap makes it convenient while transporting it
- Some users complained of the mat has a powerful odor
- Some users said it is not suitable for flow or power yoga
- Reports of the mat being a little bit more slippery
10. YOGO Mat Ultralight
This is arguably one of the best yoga mats for travel. It’s at par with the Jade Travel Yoga Mat which we’ll get to later. The mat folds up nicely and can be tucked in your luggage or backpack for easy travel. The buckles and straps attached to the mat can be used for folding it and keeping it folded or hanging it while you wash the mat and leave it to dry. It definitely makes practicing yoga while on the go as easy as pie.
- Made of renewable tree rubber
- Super Sticky
- Slightly expensive for a travel mat
- Thinner than other travel mats
- May not be suitable for hard floors
11. Jade Travel Yoga Mat
Jade is one of the best yoga mat brands in the market. So you know anything they come up with will be quality. Their travel mat definitely doesn’t disappoint… at least not by much. It’s made from all natural rubber, provides awesome stickiness, and has better padding than most travel mats. As an added bonus, it also comes in two sizes – 68” and 74” which makes it an excellent fit for most yogis. There are drawbacks, however. It’s very heavy for a travel mat – 3lbs and 3.8 lbs, respectively. It also has an open cell construction which means you’ll need to clean it regularly since it collects dust, sweat, and bacteria.
- Extra cushioning
- Awesome grip
- Comes in two sizes
- Heavier than most travel mats
- Some yogis may find it too sticky for vinyasa yoga
- Does not fold like the YOGO. Only rolls.
12. PrAna E.C.O
If you’re looking for an affordable, eco-friendly, latex-free yoga mat, then the PrAna E.C.O. is exactly what you need. It’s also lightweight, sticky, and very comfortable. And the designs are amazing.
- Better padding for joints
- Only comes in one size
- Retains marks from folding
- Strong smell when it’s new
Other mats we didn’t have a chance to review but are yogi favorites include the Manduka PROlite, the Kharma Khare, the Sivan Health and Fitness, and the Zen Active Non-Slip Yoga Mat.
How To Choose The Best Yoga Mat: The Ultimate Buying Guide
As we mentioned earlier, your enjoyment of your yoga practice is not entirely dependent on the mat you are using. But it does affect it. And with the plethora of choices available today, choosing a yoga mat can be a stressful endeavor. To help you out, here are 6 important questions you’ll need to answer so you can find the right fit.
What’s Your Style?
No, we don’t mean your fashion style or design preference. This question refers to the type of yoga you practice. A yogi who practices hot yoga will require a mat that does not get slippery when wet such as the Gaiam Sol Dry Grip Yoga Mat or the Jade Harmony Professional Mat. If you practice Vinyasa or Ashtanga, you’ll need a mat that provides stability and excellent grip so you don’t slip and slide while transitioning between poses. Two really good fits for this type of practice are the Hugger Mugger Para Rubber and the Manduka Eko. Yogis who practice Iyengar yoga will appreciate the alignment system found on the Liforme Yoga Mat while those who practice Restorative yoga will want the extra cushioning provided by the Manduka PRO.
How Often Will You Use It?
Devout yogis will need a mat that’s extremely durable, able to withstand daily use such as the Manduka PRO which has a lifetime guarantee. Weekend warriors and beginners might not want to invest in an expensive mat, just one that will last the occasional use. The YogaAccessories 1/4″ Extra Thick Deluxe Yoga Mat or the Aurorae Premium Classic are good choices. For those who travel a lot and still want to practice yoga while on the go, the YOGO Mat Ultralight and the Jade Travel Yoga Mat are excellent choices.
How Sweaty Do You Get?
A slippery yoga mat is a dangerous thing. If you’re the type who sweats a lot, or you like to practice hot yoga or Ashtanga (which will cause you to sweat a lot), you will need a mat that absorbs a lot of moisture quickly like the Gaiam Sol Dry Grip. If you’d rather get a mat that is good at repelling sweat, the Manduka Eko is a good choice. On the other hand, if you don’t really sweat a lot or will be doing restorative yoga, you might want to look for a yoga mat that has texture to provide you sufficient traction.
What’s Your Budget?
Price is always a consideration whenever you buy a product… unless you have unlimited funds and really don’t care how much you spend. Really cheap mats can be found in big box stores like Walmart and Target. But they might distract you from your practice because they’re too slippery, lack cushioning, etc. Good quality yoga mats can range from $20 to over $100.
How Many Paddings Do You Need?
While traction and grip are highly important to ensure you don’t slip and injure yourself, cushioning is also important especially if you’re a beginner or a yogi with sensitive knees/joints or an injury. Padding is also important if you’re practicing restorative or yin yoga. One yoga mat that delivers that extra cushioning is the Manduka PRO mat. It’s important to note that a thick mat will lessen your connection with the ground. So if you aren’t that sensitive, you might want to stick with a thinner mat or one that is denser.
Is There Any Way You Can Try it Out?
The most important step to take when choosing a mat is to test it. While reviews and specs can give you a good idea of how good a fit a mat will be, it’s only when you try it out that you really learn the feel of the mat and find out what works for you. Borrow mats from friends, teachers, and the studio you take classes at.
The perfect yoga mat is the one that fits your needs best. It will ground you in your practice, provide you with stability, and enable you to practice yoga effortlessly. By knowing your style, your body, your preference, and the frequency of your practice, you’ll never have a problem choosing which yoga mat is right for you.