Sometimes, a goodnight’s sleep is all you need for a better life. Whether you are looking to spruce up your bedroom with a new look or you simply want something warm and comfortable enough to sustain you through the winter, a nice classy bed cover can be all you’ll possibly need. And in this modern age, you’ll realize an ordinary blanket just won’t cut it with your refined bed frame. Step up your bedroom decor with a down comforter.
Down comforters are basically like a soft, fluffy version of duvets. They get the name ‘down’ from the down-feathery material that’s stuffed inside to give it that fluffy appearance. They have this beautiful appeal to them that looks good enough to transform any plain boring-looking bedroom into that classy, lavish appearance you see in hotels. They also work in such a way that they are neither too hot nor too cold. In this case, we have the lightweight ones that can be used all year round and the high-fill, super fluffy ones that will provide enough warmth for winters and colder days. Some will even include tags where you can fit in a duvet in case you need extra warmth.
Because of the large variety of comforters out there, it might be hard to find one that lives up to the true promise a comforter offers. Therefore, we have done our research and come up with the top list of the best down comforters your money will buy you.
Top 10 Down Comforter 2020 Reviews
- Top 10 Down Comforter 2020 Reviews
- 1. Linenspa All-Season White Down Alternative Quilted Comforter
- 2. Egyptian Bedding Luxurious King/California King Size Siberian Goose Down Comforter
- 3. Dreamhood Lightweight Down Comforter
- 4. Cosybay 100% Cotton Quilted Down Comforter
- 5. Utopia Bedding Comforter Duvet Insert
- 6. EASELAND All Season Queen Size Soft Quilted Down Alternative Comforter
- 7. Royalay Luxurious All Seasons White Goose Down Comforter
- 8. Topllen White Down Comforter
- 9. Dreamhood Lightweight Natural White Down Comforter
- 10. AmazonBasics Down Alternative Bed Comforter
- Choosing A Down Comforter – The Ultimate Buying Guide
1. Linenspa All-Season White Down Alternative Quilted ComforterBest All-
Coming on the very pinnacle of our list is the Linenspa All-Season White Down Alternative Quilted Comforter. What you get with this incredible unit is an all-season ultra-soft blankie to keep you warm through the winter and cool during the summer. But that’s not really what makes this piece unique. With its reversible color design, you can actually use both sides of the comforter, depending on your mood and décor. It’s like having two comforters at the price of one.
The Linenspa features a box stitch design which, in addition to looking nice and elegant, serves to keep the fill in place, such that the comforter is able to maintain that recently fluffed look for a longer time. And you can trust it to hold up too because this feature is backed by a 3- year warranty. The comforter is also machine washer friendly. Simply wash it in cold water on a gentle cycle. And afterward, air-dry it on low, so it maintains its freshness, comfort, and quality.
- Warm and stylish
- Good looking box stitch design; retains the fluff
- Good pricing
- Its material feels a little thin
- Might come with a faint plastic smell
- Might not hold up against pets
2. Egyptian Bedding Luxurious King/California King Size Siberian Goose Down ComforterBest Luxurious Down Comforter
The Egyptian Bedding Siberian Goose Down Comforter is not like your ordinary comforter. Made entirely out of Precious Egyptian Cotton (one of the finest fabrics in the world), this exquisite piece is perfect for those who prefer the luxurious things in life. From the mere quality of its fabric to its design, the comforter flawlessly achieves that perfect combination of luxury, fluffiness, and class. Not to mention the generous coverage it provides. The comforter can be used as a stand-alone comforter or can double up as a duvet insert in case it gets too cold. Safe to say, you can use it all year long.
As proclaimed by satisfied consumers, the Siberian Goose will have you feeling like you are sleeping on the clouds. It is breathable, soft, allergy-free, and hypoallergenic. It also implements a baffle box design to help keep it evenly in place and prevent any down leakage. Another handy feature in its design is the 8 corner tabs and loops that will prevent the comforter from shifting and anchor your duvet in place. It comes brand new, fully sealed in an equally high-quality zipper bag.
- High-quality Egyptian cotton material
- Hypoallergenic and allergy-free
- You can use it as a duvet insert
- Quite costly
3. Dreamhood Lightweight Down Comforter
The Dreamhood Lightweight Down Comforter is a comforter for those who like to keep their affairs straight and neat. It is really quite an elegant comforter, featuring a special design working in collaboration with the square style stitching to help retain that crisp, clean look and shape. As opposed to the over fluffy appearance, you’ll see with other down comforters; experts will tell you that this look will go well with any room’s décor. It also doesn’t have you feeling like you’re drowning.
The Dreamhood s made using high quality 100% cotton. The fabric is both skin-friendly and soft, fully treated, and certified with ultra-fresh protection, meaning it will not irritate your skin. Users also appreciate just how lightweight it is, which makes it really easy to handle. But this doesn’t make it any less efficient in ensuring that you are nice and warm all through the cool spring and fall nights.
- Not overly fluffy; has a clean and crisp appearance
- Made using soft, high-quality cotton fabric
- Lightweight and easy to use
- Might not be heavy enough to get you through the winter
- Its package indicates dry clean only, therefore, needs professional cleaning
4. Cosybay 100% Cotton Quilted Down ComforterBest Cotton Quilted Down Comforter
The Cosybay 100% Cotton Quilted Down Comforter is one of the better quality quilted down comforters you will find out there. The comforter is luxuriously crafted, filled with feather and white goose down in such a way that it feels super soft and light. Users have compared it to sleeping under a giant-sized marshmallow. Other than softness, its material also keeps it warm and comfortable for all year round use. It comes in a variety of different sizes; therefore, you can easily get one that perfectly fits your oversized-queen, California-king, or oversized-king bed.
The comforter also has the unique box-stitch quilting design to keep the filling perfect in place. It features corner tabs at its edges to allow for easy attaching of duvets and if need be. It is cute and classic, and you get all this at a reasonable price of under 70 bucks. You’ll especially appreciate the fluffiness on this beaut.
- Perfect amount of fluffiness
- Lightweight with corner tabs for attaching duvet
- Amazing reasonable price
- Some users claim it’s a little noisy and stiff
- Shell tends to feel a little rough
5. Utopia Bedding Comforter Duvet InsertBest King Size Down Comforter
Now, if you are working on a budget, but you still want something that gives you your money’s worth, then the Utopia Bedding Comforter Duvet Insert is just what you need. Despite its incredibly affordable price of under 50$, this comforter still delivers when it comes to looks, design, and softness. And you can tell this by the numerous 5-star reviews users give it on Amazon. It employs the famous box-style stitching you’ll see in other high-end units. And with 35- gsm fillings and piped edges, the comforter is able to hold it’s filling secure and in place. Just the way you like it.
The Utopia uses siliconized fiberfill material, which is extremely soft to give it a cozy and comfy feel. It also has four corner tabs where you can put on a duvet and secure it in place. It comes available in different sizes too, so you can get one for your size bed. It is warm, thick as a chapstick, with just the right amount of fluff. Another great thing is that it comes in a variety of colors, including white, burgundy, black/gray, beige, navy, and gray. So you can select one depending on your taste and preference.
- Super fluffy and comfortable
- Has 350 gsm filling box stitching to hold fluff in place
- Really affordable
- Might get too hot on warm nights: not as breathable as cotton material
- Susceptible to tears during vigorous washing
- It has a tendency of molding while inside packaging
6. EASELAND All Season Queen Size Soft Quilted Down Alternative ComforterBest Lightweight Down Comforter
The EASELAND All Season Queen Size Soft Quilted Down Alternative Comforter prides itself in being one of the softest, fluffiest fabrics you’ll find in a comforter. And you can clearly see it in the pictures. The comforter features this simple, yet elegant design that will blend with literally any kind of décor you throw at it. With just the right amount of weight, that is, neither too heavy nor too light, the amazing piece is just what you need to add the extra touch of coziness to your bedroom.
The Easeland is made using premium polyfill material, which is known for being extra fluffy. It is then evenly distributed through the comforter to ensure that you get an equally even amount of heat all through the cool night. Polyfill is also an odor-free alternative for people who can’t use goose or featherbedding. The comforter is well crafted using box stitching technology to secure the filling in place and ensure that it doesn’t leak. It is machine washable and therefore really easy to maintain, without any risk of fade or shrinkage.
- Really comfy and stylish
- Silky soft and breathable fabric
- Might take a while to fluff out
- Some users claim is not as thick as it appears in the pictures
7. Royalay Luxurious All Seasons White Goose Down ComforterBest Hypo-allergenic Duvet Down Comforter
The Royalay Luxurious All Seasons White Goose Down Comforter is made to satisfy a really wide array of customers. Made using a 100% cotton fabric, the comforter is medium weight and breathable enough to be used through all the seasons. The comforter itself is simply beautiful and functional in that it is able to deliver that nice warmth of your dreams. It is evenly filled with 42oz white goose down, with impeccable quality sewing such that it is able to avoid any cold spots and that there is absolutely no leaking of feathers.
The comforter is fully allergy-free, hypoallergenic and antibacterial, and also environmentally fit for sensitive skin. It comes in queen and king sizes, measuring 90 inches by 90 inches. Perhaps the best selling point about this unit is just how affordable it is for the quality you get. It is soft and easy to maintain too and doesn’t make any noises as you move it around.
- Beautiful design, with just the right amount of fluffiness
- The baffles are filled equally
- Perfectly mid-weight and breathable
- Some users claimed it started to Leak feathers after some time
- May makes some crinkle sounds at times
8. Topllen White Down ComforterBest Quilted Hypoallergenic Winter Comforters
The Topllen White Down Comforter leaves little to chance when living up to the true potential of a down comforter. It comes beautifully packaged and once fluffed, feels almost like the kind of comforter you’ll find in some luxury hotel. It is made using premium down and expertly crafted such that it is reasonably lightweight, with a perfect balance of temperatures, so you don’t wake up in the middle of the night all sweaty. Not to mention the fact that it simply looks absolutely incredible.
The comforter also incorporates a down-proof, hypoallergenic cotton shell that is skin-friendly. It is perfectly suitable for anyone suffering from allergies like asthma. It is also machine washable and easily dryable at temperatures below 40 degrees. You are, however, advised not to bleach it. Made compliant with OEKO standards, the Topllen also prides itself in that it was manufactured in an eco-friendly manner without any cruelty to animals.
- Not too bulky yet still keeps you warm
- Soft cotton fabric
- Machine washable and dryable
- Has some faint smell to it when it arrives
- The outer shell makes a little noise as you move around
9. Dreamhood Lightweight Natural White Down Comforter
Yet another product from Dreamhood is the Dreamhood Lightweight Natural White Down Comforter. And just like its other Dreamhood products, it features that signature clean, not-too-fluffy appeal the brand is known for. The only difference is this one is a little more affordable than its predecessor. The comforter measures 90*90 and comes vacuum packed during delivery, so you won’t have to worry about any initial odors.
The shell of the Dreamhood is made using 100% cotton fabric then stuffed with natural down and feather. It is stitched to perfection to result in this thick, soft piece of awesomeness to comfort you in the cold nights. The comforter is also quite lightweight with an extra layer of ventilation for warmth all through the year. It features the famous sewn box construction with a double stitch design that decreases shedding, then cored with nice piping to keep it nice and fluffy. It is machine washable as well, plus you can also use it as a duvet insert.
- Beautifully made with great quality stitching keeps it stable and helps retain fluff
- Comes odor free
- Great for warmer weather
- Some users claim the cotton feels a little stiff
- Doesn’t quite give that fluffy feeling; if that is what you were looking for
10. AmazonBasics Down Alternative Bed Comforter
What you get with the AmazonBasics Down Alternative Bed Comforter is an affordable, full/queen, all-season comforter. This means that the comforter will keep you cozy and warm all through the cold and is versatile enough to still be comfortable during summer. It is made using 100% polyester filling, combined with a 100% polyester microfiber shell to give it the extra strength and softness, which is really all you need in a comforter.
The AmazonBasics also incorporates box stitching in its design to maintain an even layer of thickness. It comes vacuum sealed; therefore, you’ll need to let it decompress over a 24 year period. Another convenient fact is that it is machine wash friendly. Simply wash it on warm, then tumble dry on low. All this, plus, you can get all this at under 40 $? No wonder it is such a top-seller on Amazon.
- Really inexpensive
- Machine wash friendly
- Lightweight and comfortable
- Tends to shed a bit of fiber
- Some people complain that it gets really hot quite fast
- Might come off short on the width. (you are recommended to go a size up of your bed size)
Choosing A Down Comforter – The Ultimate Buying Guide
There are a two things that contribute to a great night’s sleep; a quality mattress and a soft, fluffy down comforter . Safe to say, to really get the most down comforter has to offer, you are going to need a combination of these elements. We shall look at some of the most fundamental ones down below.
Goose Down Vs. Duck Down.
Most down comforters will fall under these two categories. Meaning, they can either be filled up using goose feathers or duck feathers. Most people prefer goose down, although the two really have slight differences. For this reason, we shall take a look at some of them below.
- Insulation: Both of the two are actually quite efficient in insulating. They perform relatively the same when it comes to providing warmth. The difference, however, comes in the size of clusters. Here, goose clusters are larger when compared to duck clusters. The term clusters refer to the size of the different tufts of feathers inside that work to give the comforters that fluffy element and warmth. Due to their large size, goose down has greater fill power and is a little bit more resilient in maintaining the loft.
- Odor: The smell of the down itself also tends to vary between the two. Since geese only eat grass, their feathers tend to have a more subtle odor. Duck, on the other hand, tends to eat a variety of different foods, which make its feathers smell more. However, if properly processed, you’ll barely notice this.
Fill Power: The Higher the Fill Power, The Stronger The Insulation
This basically refers to the measure of the insulating capacity of the down comforter. In practical terms, it would be the amount of space the feathers take up inside. With a higher fill power, a comforter is able to trap more air, consequently allowing it to insulate you better from external temperatures. A higher fill power on a comforter also makes it more durable and stronger.
Below are some of the fill powers you’ll find out there and what they are good for:
- 400 or Below: Are lightweight in nature, good for summer use
- 400-600: Are generally great for any time of year
- 600-800: Great for cold, chilly weather
- 800 and Above: Recommended for extreme cold weather and when you need extra warmth
Shell Material: You’ll want it Soft and Quiet!
The shell material is basically the outer material of the comforter that holds everything together; it is what keeps the down inside from poking out. It also happens to be the material your face will be in contact with all through the night. For this reason, you will want your shell material to be as soft as possible, with a high thread count (the highest you can find).
A higher thread count will result in softer material since a denser weave contains the down more efficiently. In this case, a thread count of anything 300 or above should suffice. You will also want one that is tightly woven, so your comforter remains ever in shape. It is important that the shell doesn’t stain easily for easy maintenance.
Maintenance: How to Wash a Down Comforter
In most instances, premium down comforters will require some kind of large capacity washer to clean. Its description should tell you whether it is washing machine friendly or if it will require a more professional approach or dry cleaning. If it is machine friendly, you can safely wash it in the comfort of your home using your washing machine, then dry it in a dryer.
Otherwise, you may need to take it to a dry cleaner or a launderer to avoid any damages. You can also try using a comforter protector, which works to keep allergens out. By so doing, the actual comforter won’t need to be washed as frequently. Ultimately, investing in a down comforter cover may help keep away dirt and stains
Construction: For Longer Life!
How well the comforter is made has a heavy role to play on just how long it will last. Most down comforters will have some kind of stitching, which divided it into smaller box-like sections. This is referred to as baffling. It is intentionally made like that, ensuring its feathers are distributed as evenly as possible all through the comforter.
With proper stitching, it is able to prevent the formation of any cold or warm patches with time. For this reason, you are advised to check for extra stitching to ensure that it holds up for longer.
Comfort: It’s Not Just the Fluffiness!
The comfort you’ll get from a down comforter is mainly influenced by its fluffiness and the weight of the filling. To get the most comfort out of it, your comforter needs to be fluffy enough, with a moderate amount of weight such that it is relatively easy to tug at.
You’ll also want to check on the stitching and the material used in its outer shell. You’ll need proper stitching to get an even distribution of heat all through and a nice soft fabric on its outer shell, so it doesn’t make too much crinkling noise as you move around on it.
All in all, the very best down comforters should provide that perfect blend between soft and comfortable and should have a breathable outer shell with quality insulation so you can keep warm and toasty regardless of how cold it is outside.
We have kept this in mind when making our top selection, and we are sure that whichever comforter you pick will give you the utmost comfort you need and take you through the long haul.