Choosing an essential oil diffuser isn’t as simple as one would think. For one, there are a lot of products to choose from. And, if you weren’t aware of this yet, there isn’t a one-size-fits all option. While there may be favorites like URPOWER, it doesn’t mean that it’s the best option for your needs, preferences, and purpose. Moreover, one diffuser isn’t exactly interchangeable with another.
Some diffusers are louder than others, some have brighter lights. Some diffusers are great for freshening up a room while others are perfect for clearing your sinuses. Clearly, it’s not a purchase that you can do willy-nilly. So, to help you out, we did a search on the best oil diffusers available today and chose our top 12 favorites.
Top Essential Oil Diffusers Reviewed in 2018
- Top Essential Oil Diffusers Reviewed in 2018
- 1. URPOWER 2nd Version Essential Oil Diffuser
- 2. VicTsing Cool Mist Humidifier Ultrasonic Aroma Essential Oil Diffuser
- 3. Radha Beauty Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser
- 4. Essential Oil Diffuser Riverock
- 5. PureSpa Deluxe Ultrasonic Aromatherapy Oil Diffuser
- 6. BriteLeafs 2-in-1 Ultrasonic Aroma Diffuser Ultrasonic Humidifier
- 7. InnoGear Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser Portable Ultrasonic Diffuser
- 8. ZAQ Noor Essential Oil Diffuser LiteMist Ultrasonic Aromatherapy
- 9. GreenAir SpaVapor+ Instant Wellness Essential Oil Diffuser
- 10. TaoTronics Aromatherapy Diffuser with Wood Grain
- 11. Essential Oil Diffuser Anjou Aromatherapy Diffuser
- 12. OliveTech Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
- How to Choose the Best Essential Oil Diffusers
1. URPOWER 2nd Version Essential Oil DiffuserEssential Oil Diffuser for Small Space
This new version of URPOWER’s 100ml ultrasonic oil diffuser is definitely a popular choice. It covers 150 to 350-square feet of space and comes with adjustable mist settings and 7 mood colors. It’s easy to use and clean. Best of all, it can serve as a humidifier as well. Just one major complaint from some light sensitive sleepers: the power button has a backlight that won’t turn off so it can be a problem if you like to sleep in total darkness.
- comes with a measuring cup
- Automatic shut off feature (shuts down when the water runs out)
- only lasts 6 hours (intermittent mode)
- not good for large areas
- some people find the lights too bright
2. VicTsing Cool Mist Humidifier Ultrasonic Aroma Essential Oil DiffuserEssential Oil Diffuser for Large Space
VicTsing’s essential oil diffuser is not only gorgeous but effective too. The wood grain exterior looks lovely, the mood lights are subtle, and it comes with high and low mist settings as well as time settings (1 hour, 3 hours, 6 hours, and steady).
- powerful mist
- automatic shutoff
- up to 10 hours of continuous mist
- lid doesn’t lock
- the diffuser beeps when you push the buttons which can get annoying for some people
3. Radha Beauty Aromatherapy Essential Oil DiffuserEssential Oil Diffuser for Money
This ultrasonic diffuser is another popular choice for several reasons. It’s a portable diffuser that delivers continuous strong mist from 3 to 5 hours. The LED lights are colorful. It comes with its own measuring cup (though there are already water levels marked on the tank). And the price is great for people who are on a budget.
- clearly defined water levels on the tank
- comes with a measuring cup
- strong mist
- lights are too bright for light sensitive sleepers
- no timer
4. Essential Oil Diffuser RiverockEssential Oil Diffuser for Sleep
This essential oil diffuser stands out from the rest because of its truly brilliant and unique design. Its shape is designed to look like a river rock which can be unobtrusively placed anywhere in a room. It has a small band around the middle that can emit mood colors which can be turned off completely. Yes, no bright on/off light to disturb light sensitive sleepers. And the blunt end of the diffuser is a giant button that doesn’t glow. Simply tap on it (much like how you would on a snooze button of old-fashioned alarm clocks) until you get the setting you need.
- Whisper quiet babbling brook sound (soothing)
- Can turn off ALL lights
- zen design
- no timer
- one mist setting
- can only run for 4-5 hours
5. PureSpa Deluxe Ultrasonic Aromatherapy Oil DiffuserEssential Oil Diffuser For Office
Like the Riverock diffuser, the PureSpa Deluxe is also uniquely designed. It’s probably one of the sturdiest and most stable diffusers in the market today. It has a professional appearance perfect for your office table or cubicle and the LED lights can be completely turned off. It can run for 10 hours straight so no need to stop what you’re doing to do a refill.
- 2-year manufacturer warranty
- Deep tank with a clearly marked water level
- 10-hour run time
- A bit noisier than other diffusers
- Pressure sensitive decal instead of a button that you can accidently press when moving the diffuser
- Can’t stop the LED light on a specific color like other diffusers
6. BriteLeafs 2-in-1 Ultrasonic Aroma Diffuser Ultrasonic HumidifierEssential Oil Diffuser for Congestion
Compared to other diffusers, the BriteLeafs PureAroma Ultrasonic Diffuser is definitely one of the prettiest we’ve ever seen. The colors are vibrant but you have the option to dim it or turn it off completely. You also are given timer settings – 180, 120, 60, and 30 minutes. The really outstanding feature of this diffuser is that it can really help clear your sinuses while sleeping. Just put it on your bedside table and wake up feeling refreshed and congestion-free!
- great for decongesting your sinuses
- lights will completely turn off
- really quiet
- the lid can be hard to unlock
- hard to clean
- can’t run continuously
7. InnoGear Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser Portable Ultrasonic Diffuser
The wood grain look of the Innogear Essential Oil Diffuser is definitely stylish. But there’s more to this diffuser than meets the eye. It has low and high mist options and 4 timer settings – 1 hour, 3 hours, 6 hours, and continuous. It also has an automatic shut off feature.
- stable base
- automatic shutoff
- 200ml capacity
- a bit noisier than other diffusers
- lid doesn’t lock
- loud beep when shuts down which can affect light sleepers
8. ZAQ Noor Essential Oil Diffuser LiteMist Ultrasonic AromatherapyEssential Oil Diffuser for Bathroom
Unlike most other diffusers, the ZAQ Noor Litemist Aromatherapy essential oil diffuser is made completely from BPA-free materials, making it perfect for those who want to live a plastic-free life. While it may be on the small side of the scale (only 80ml), it does give you around 4 hours of continuous misting, perfect for a small room like your bathroom.
- BPA-free materials
- Automatic shutoff feature
- Looks unique
- Can’t use citrus oils
- Slightly noisier than other diffusers
- Not for sleepers who are sensitive to light
9. GreenAir SpaVapor+ Instant Wellness Essential Oil DiffuserEssential Oil Diffuser for Asthma
There are several essential oils perfect for treating asthma (i.e. peppermint, lavender, lemon) and these can be used in most diffusers in the market today. But what makes GreenAir SpaVapor+ the best for treating asthma is that it has directional misting – you get to choose in which direction the mist will come out. No need to place your face right on top of the diffuser. Just point it towards where you want the vapor to go and you’re good.
- directional misting
- clearly defined water level mark
- can completely turn off all lights
- cannot use citrus oils
- no white light, just other colors
- takes 10 minutes before maximum output of mist occurs
10. TaoTronics Aromatherapy Diffuser with Wood GrainEssential Oil Diffuser for Baby
The TaoTronics 300ml Aromatherapy Diffuser looks good and works wonders. It can run continuously all night or you can set it to run for 1 hour, 3 hours, or 6 hours. The mood lighting has 7 different colors that can be bright or dim. And even when the diffuser shuts off, the light remains on so your baby’s bedroom stays lit with a dim glow all throughout the night.
- can easily fill up a room approx 400-square feet
- automatic shut off feature
- measuring cup provided
- using the buttons can be tricky/complicated at first
- no intermittent setting
- beeps when turning off
11. Essential Oil Diffuser Anjou Aromatherapy Diffuser
This is a simple, compact essential oil diffuser that packs a punch. It’s contemporary design ensures that it blends in well with most home decor. It has 7 LED lights that have a bright and dim setting. And it has a large water tank which means that it can run much longer than most of the diffusers we’ve reviewed
- Can run for 8 straight hours
- automatic shutoff feature
- works with most oils
- beeps when it automatically shuts off (not for light sleepers)
- hard to clean
- lid doesn’t lock in place
12. OliveTech Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
The wood grain finish isn’t unique on this diffuser but the design sure is. Not only is it an effective diffuser, it’s also a really attractive decorative piece that would look good in your home or office.
- very quiet
- can choose between strong and weak mist
- can last for 12 hours (weak mist)
- hard to clean
- plug is at the bottom/base of the unit
- no water level mark inside the tank
Other popular essential oil diffusers that we haven’t had a chance to look over include Quooz’s Rockano (200ml), Viva Naturals Aromatherapy essential Oil Diffuser, Calily Ultrasonic Essential Oil Diffuser Aromatherapy with Remote Control, and the Zen Breeze Essential Oil Diffuser.
How to Choose the Best Essential Oil Diffusers
When it comes to essential oil diffusers, it’s best to know exactly what’s on the market and how they work so you can make the right purchase. Some people aren’t aware that there are actually several types of diffusers available and they are defined by the way they diffuse oil.
The most popular type is the ultrasonic or humidifying diffuser. This type of diffuser makes use of electronic frequencies to vibrate a disk that is located just under the surface of the water. It vibrates so fast that the water and essential oil is transformed into vapor and dispersed into the air as fine mist. The ultrasonic vibrations (which it is named after) causes the essential oil to be broken down into microparticles that enable us to easily breathe in its therapeutic properties. Compared to other types of diffusers, ultrasonic diffusers use less oil and works much more quietly. However, it does not always produce a strong concentration and requires regular cleaning.
Nebulizers, another form of essential oil diffuser, works much like a perfume atomizer. It breaks down the essential oil into small particles without water. While it’s much more powerful than an ultrasonic one, it is also incredibly expensive to buy and use. You need a lot of oil to get it going. It’s also a lot noisier than other types of diffusers.
Heat diffusers used to be the popular one. Like the name implies, the diffuser makes use of heat to break down the oil into molecules. The problem with this type of diffuser is that heat can change the composition of the oil. Also, it’s not safe to leave the diffuser unattended for long.
Fan or evaporative diffusers utilizes the process of evaporation to spread the oil particles into the air. The fan causes oil on a pad or filter to evaporate more quickly and disperses it into the room. While this type of diffuser is much simpler to use and inexpensive, it doesn’t produce as much therapeutic benefit as other types. Also, the scent doesn’t last long in the air which will require you to place more drops of oil on the pad. More importantly, the noise produced by the fan can be offputting to light sleepers.
So, how do you select the perfect diffuser for you? Well, here are some things you’ll need to consider:
Area of Coverage
You need to measure the size of the room you’d like to use the diffuser in. A 100ml essential oil diffuser such as the URPOWER 2nd Version Essential Oil Diffuser is perfect for a regular-sized bedroom. The VicTsing 300ml Cool Mist Humidifier Ultrasonic Aroma Essential Oil Diffuser or the OliveTech 400ml Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier, on the other hand, covers a much larger area (approximately 400 to 500 square feet).
Timer & Automatic Shutoff Feature
These are two very important features if you plan to leave your essential oil diffuser unattended. First off, you don’t want it to continue running even when the water’s already too low. It’s just not safe. Secondly, some people are really sensitive to the aroma of essential oils. Too much dispersed into the air can cause headaches. Leaving it on a timer ensures you get all the therapeutic benefits without any of the drawbacks. The InnoGear Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser Portable Ultrasonic Diffuser and the TaoTronics 300ml Aromatherapy Diffuser with Wood Grain both have several timer options – 1 hour, 3 hours, 6 hours, and steady mode. They also have the automatic shutoff feature.
How long do you plan on having the diffuser running? If you want it to run the entire night while you’re sleeping, you’ll need to invest in a diffuser that has a large capacity such as the Essential Oil Diffuser 300mL Anjou Aromatherapy Diffuser which can run for 8 hours straight or the PureSpa Deluxe Ultrasonic Aromatherapy Oil Diffuser can run continuously for 10 hours which means that you’ll be able to wake up with the diffuser still running!
One huge drawback of ultrasonic diffusers is the need to clean it regularly. Otherwise, it won’t perform as effectively and will not last as long as it should. This means that you’ll have to choose a diffuser that’s easy to clean – no muss, no fuss. The URPOWER 2nd Version Essential Oil Diffuser, 100ml is one good example of an easy to clean diffuser. Just wipe it with a rag dipped in a water+bleach solution and it’s ready to use again.
Naturally, it all boils down to what you can afford. But don’t you worry. It won’t be too hard to find some that would fit in your budget because a lot of really good essential oil diffusers are actually affordable. Here are some that are under $40: Radha Beauty Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser, Essential Oil Diffuser Riverock, ZAQ Noor Essential Oil Diffuser LiteMist Ultrasonic Aromatherapy With Ionizer and Color-Changing Light, and Essential Oil Diffuser 300mL Anjou Aromatherapy Diffuser.
Remember, when buying anything for yourself, always make sure you’re well-informed. It’s not just about the price or the product’s popularity. You should always ensure that it serves your purpose as well.