Everyone is entitled to a little bit of relaxation from the hustles and bustles of the everyday struggles of life. Back in the days, we would resort to holistic oils and candles to achieve this, but today we have what they call aromatherapy, and yes folks. It’s an actual thing. You may have seen this in yoga class when someone offered you that essential-oil infused towel to put on your forehead. These essential oils have been scientifically proven to entice mental relaxation. In turn, they reduce anxiety and stabilize the mood.
So how do we get to enjoy aromatherapy at home? Well, the most common way is to buy the essential oils and use them with an oil diffuser. This is the best ways of ensuring your home smell both wonderful and delicious. These devices come small and sleek will blend easily in your home and do their job without causing too much of a distraction. They also come with different designs and features which enable them to serve different purposes as well. For example, some diffusers would be great for freshening up a room while others for clearing your sinuses.
That said, choosing from the multitudes of diffusers out there isn’t as simple as one would think. To help you out, we did our research on the best essential oil diffusers available to present you with our top 12 favorites.
Top 12 Essential Oil Diffusers Of 2020 Reviewed
- Top 12 Essential Oil Diffusers Of 2020 Reviewed
- 1. URPOWER 2nd Version Essential Oil Diffuser
- 2. VicTsing Cool Mist Humidifier Ultrasonic Aroma Essential Oil Diffuser
- 3. GreenAir SpaVapor+ Instant Wellness Essential Oil Diffuser
- 4. COSVII Essential Oil Diffuser Humidifier
- 5. 3D Glass Starry Sky Aromatherapy Oil Diffuser
- 6. PureSpa Deluxe Ultrasonic Aromatherapy Oil Diffuser
- 7. BriteLeafs 2-in-1 Ultrasonic Aroma Diffuser Ultrasonic Humidifier
- 8. InnoGear Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser Portable Ultrasonic Diffuser
- 9. ZAQ Noor Essential Oil Diffuser LiteMist Ultrasonic Aromatherapy
- 10. TaoTronics Aromatherapy Diffuser With Wood Grain
- 11. Essential Oil Diffuser Anjou Aromatherapy Diffuser
- 12. OliveTech Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
- Choosing The Best Essential Oil Diffusers – The Ultimate Buying Guide
1. URPOWER 2nd Version Essential Oil DiffuserEssential Oil Diffuser for Small Space
This new version of URPOWER’s 100ml ultrasonic oil diffuser is definitely a popular choice. It covers 150 to 350-square feet of space and comes with adjustable mist settings and 7 mood colors. It’s easy to use and clean.
Best of all, it can serve as a humidifier as well. Just one major complaint from some light-sensitive sleepers: the power button has a backlight that won’t turn off so it can be a problem if you like to sleep in total darkness.
- Comes with a measuring cup
- Automatic shut off feature (shuts down when the water runs out)
- Only lasts 6 hours (intermittent mode)
- Not good for large areas
- Some people find the lights too bright
2. VicTsing Cool Mist Humidifier Ultrasonic Aroma Essential Oil DiffuserEssential Oil Diffuser for Large Space
VicTsing’s essential oil diffuser is not only gorgeous but effective too. The wood grain exterior looks lovely, the mood lights are subtle, and it comes with high and low mist settings as well as time settings (1 hour, 3 hours, 6 hours, and steady).
- Powerful mist
- Automatic shutoff
- Up to 10 hours of continuous mist
- The lid doesn’t lock
- The diffuser beeps when you push the buttons which can get annoying for some people
3. GreenAir SpaVapor+ Instant Wellness Essential Oil DiffuserBest Aroma Glass Diffuser
There are several essential oils perfect for treating asthma (i.e. peppermint, lavender, lemon) and these can be used in most diffusers in the market today. But what makes GreenAir SpaVapor+ the best for treating asthma is that it has directional misting – you get to choose in which direction the mist will come out.
No need to place your face right on top of the diffuser. Just point it towards where you want the vapor to go and you’re good.
- Directional misting
- Clearly defined water level mark
- Can completely turn off all lights
- Cannot use citrus oils
- No white light, just other colors
- Takes 10 minutes before maximum output of mist occurs
4. COSVII Essential Oil Diffuser Humidifier3D Glass Essential Oil Diffuser
When you think of aroma glass diffusers, think of the COSVII Essential Oil Diffuser Humidifier is your first choice. It is designed to improve the quality of air around your space as a diffuser and a humidifier. It comes with aromatherapy LED lights that can be held still or set to alternate between 7 different colors.
The COSVII Essential Oil diffuser is made from strong, long-lasting outer glass, very portable and takes minimum space. Additionally, the diffuser is easy to set up and operate. As a bonus and a safety measure, the diffuser shuts off automatically when it runs out of water.
- Strong humidifying and diffusion ability
- Built of durable eco-friendly materials
- Buttons may fail with time
- Not ideal for large spaces
- Inside plastic gets strained by oils easily
5. 3D Glass Starry Sky Aromatherapy Oil DiffuserEssential Oil Diffuser for Sleep
This diffuser has revolutionized the experience of aromatherapy. With a 3D charming and elegant design, the 3D Glass Starry Sky Aromatherapy Oil Diffuser is made using glass and unique technology to give you the best aromatic experience. To incorporate modern developments, ultrasonic technology is used to produce moist, cool and aromatic fog.
The diffuser has a tank capacity of 120ml that automatically shuts off when the water runs out. It has an impeccable lighting option of up to 7 colors are inbuilt to improve the mood to your therapeutic experience. It is easy to operate and saves up to 90% of energy use in your house. A full tank, the diffuser can work for 3-5 hours continuously for a room of about 10-50 sq ft.
- Beautiful 3D design
- Uses Ultrasonic technology
- Variety of optional lighting for your mood
- Quite pricey
- Ideal for small spaces only
- Very delicate
6. PureSpa Deluxe Ultrasonic Aromatherapy Oil DiffuserEssential Oil Diffuser For Office
Like the Riverock diffuser, the PureSpa Deluxe is also uniquely designed. It’s probably one of the sturdiest and most stable diffusers in the market today. It has a professional appearance perfect for your office table or cubicle and the LED lights can be completely turned off.
It can run for 10 hours straight so no need to stop what you’re doing to do a refill.
- 2-year manufacturer warranty
- Deep tank with a clearly marked water level
- 10-hour run time
- A bit noisier than other diffusers
- Pressure-sensitive decal instead of a button that you can accidentally press when moving the diffuser
- Can’t stop the LED light on a specific color like other diffusers
7. BriteLeafs 2-in-1 Ultrasonic Aroma Diffuser Ultrasonic HumidifierEssential Oil Diffuser for Congestion
Compared to other diffusers, the BriteLeafs PureAroma Ultrasonic Diffuser is definitely one of the prettiest we’ve ever seen. The colors are vibrant but you have the option to dim it or turn it off completely. You also are given timer settings – 180, 120, 60, and 30 minutes.
- Great for decongesting your sinuses
- Lights will completely turn off
- Really quiet
- The lid can be hard to unlock
- Hard to clean
- Can’t run continuously
8. InnoGear Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser Portable Ultrasonic DiffuserEssential Oil Diffuser for Bathroom
The wood grain look of the Innogear Essential Oil Diffuser is definitely stylish. But there’s more to this diffuser than meets the eye. It has low and high mist options and 4 timer settings – 1 hour, 3 hours, 6 hours, and continuous. It also has an automatic shut off feature.
- Stable base
- Automatic shutoff
- 200ml capacity
- A bit noisier than other diffusers
- The lid doesn’t lock
- Loud beep when shuts down which can affect light sleepers
9. ZAQ Noor Essential Oil Diffuser LiteMist Ultrasonic AromatherapyEssential Oil Diffuser for Bathroom
Unlike most other diffusers, the ZAQ Noor Litemist Aromatherapy essential oil diffuser is made completely from BPA-free materials, making it perfect for those who want to live a plastic-free life. While it may be on the small side of the scale (only 80ml), it does give you around 4 hours of continuous misting, perfect for a small room like your bathroom.
- BPA-free materials
- Automatic shutoff feature
- Looks unique
- Can’t use citrus oils
- Slightly noisier than other diffusers
- Not for sleepers who are sensitive to light
10. TaoTronics Aromatherapy Diffuser With Wood GrainEssential Oil Diffuser for Baby
The TaoTronics 300ml Aromatherapy Diffuser looks good and works wonders. It can run continuously all night or you can set it to run for 1 hour, 3 hours, or 6 hours. The mood lighting has 7 different colors that can be bright or dim. And even when the diffuser shuts off, the light remains on so your baby’s bedroom stays lit with a dim glow all throughout the night.
- Can easily fill up a room approx 400-square feet
- Automatic shut off feature
- Measuring cup provided
- Using the buttons can be tricky/complicated at first
- No intermittent setting
- Beeps when turning off
11. Essential Oil Diffuser Anjou Aromatherapy DiffuserEssential Oil Diffuser for Baby
This is a simple, compact essential oil diffuser that packs a punch. Its contemporary design ensures that it blends in well with most home decor.
It has 7 LED lights that have a bright and dim setting. And it has a large water tank which means that it can run much longer than most of the diffusers we’ve reviewed
- Can run for 8 straight hours
- Automatic shutoff feature
- Works with most oils
- Beeps when it automatically shuts off (not for light sleepers)
- Hard to clean
- The lid doesn’t lock in place
12. OliveTech Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
The wood grain finish isn’t unique on this diffuser but the design sure is. Not only is it an effective diffuser, but it’s also a really attractive decorative piece that would look good in your home or office.
- Very quiet
- Can choose between strong and weak mist
- Can last for 12 hours (weak mist)
- Hard to clean
- The plug is at the bottom/base of the unit
- No water level mark inside the tank
Choosing The Best Essential Oil Diffusers – The Ultimate Buying Guide
Essential oils have been proven to have lots of benefits. But also because of the risks that the wrong choice of oils can bring, it’s best to know exactly what’s on the market and how they work so you can make the right purchase.
Some people aren’t aware that there are actually several types of diffusers available and they are defined by the way they diffuse the oil.
Types of Essential Oil Diffusers
Ultrasonic or Humidifying Diffuser
The most popular type is the ultrasonic or humidifying diffuser. This type of diffuser makes use of electronic frequencies to vibrate a disk that is located just under the surface of the water. It vibrates so fast that the water and essential oil is transformed into vapor and dispersed into the air like a fine mist.
The ultrasonic vibrations (which it is named after) causes the essential oil to be broken down into microparticles that enable us to easily breathe in its therapeutic properties. Compared to other types of diffusers, ultrasonic diffusers use less oil and work much more quietly. However, it does not always produce a strong concentration and requires regular cleaning.
Another form of an essential oil diffuser works much like a perfume atomizer. It breaks down the essential oil into small particles without water. While it’s much more powerful than an ultrasonic one, it is also incredibly expensive to buy and use. You need a lot of oil to get it going. It’s also a lot noisier than other types of diffusers.
Heat Diffusers used to be the popular one. As the name implies, the diffuser makes use of heat to break down the oil into molecules. The problem with this type of diffuser is that heat can change the composition of the oil. Also, it’s not safe to leave the diffuser unattended for long.
Fan or Evaporative diffusers
It utilizes the process of evaporation to spread the oil particles into the air. The fan causes oil on a pad or filter to evaporate more quickly and disperses it into the room. While this type of diffuser is much simpler to use and inexpensive, it doesn’t produce as much therapeutic benefit as other types.
Also, the scent doesn’t last long in the air which will require you to place more drops of oil on the pad. More importantly, the noise produced by the fan can be offputting to light sleepers.So, how do you select the perfect diffuser for you? Well, here are some things you’ll need to consider:
Whats the Area Coverage?
You need to measure the size of the room you’d like to use the diffuser in. A 100ml essential oil diffuser such as the URPOWER 2nd Version Essential Oil Diffuser is perfect for a regular-sized bedroom.
The VicTsing 300ml Cool Mist Humidifier Ultrasonic Aroma Essential Oil Diffuser or the OliveTech 400ml Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier, on the other hand, covers a much larger area (approximately 400 to 500 square feet).
Timer & Automatic Shutoff Feature
These are two very important features if you plan to leave your essential oil diffuser unattended. First off, you don’t want it to continue running even when the water’s already too low. It’s just not safe. Secondly, some people are really sensitive to the aroma of essential oils. Too much dispersed into the air can cause headaches. Leaving it on a timer ensures you get all the therapeutic benefits without any of the drawbacks.
The InnoGear Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser Portable Ultrasonic Diffuser and the TaoTronics 300ml Aromatherapy Diffuser with Wood Grain both have several timer options – 1 hour, 3 hours, 6 hours, and steady mode. They also have the automatic shutoff feature.
What’s the Run time?
How long do you plan on having the diffuser running? If you want it to run the entire night while you’re sleeping, you’ll need to invest in a diffuser that has a large capacity such as the Essential Oil Diffuser 300mL Anjou Aromatherapy Diffuser which can run for 8 hours straight or the PureSpa Deluxe Ultrasonic Aromatherapy Oil Diffuser can run continuously for 10 hours which means that you’ll be able to wake up with the diffuser still running!
One huge drawback of ultrasonic diffusers is the need to clean it regularly. Otherwise, it won’t perform as effectively and will not last as long as it should. This means that you’ll have to choose a diffuser that’s easy to clean – no muss, no fuss.
The URPOWER 2nd Version Essential Oil Diffuser, 100ml is one good example of an easy to clean diffuser. Just wipe it with a rag dipped in a water+bleach solution and it’s ready to use again.
Naturally, it all boils down to what you can afford. But don’t you worry. It won’t be too hard to find some that would fit in your budget because a lot of really good essential oil diffusers are actually affordable. Here are some that are under $40: ZAQ Noor Essential Oil Diffuser LiteMist Ultrasonic Aromatherapy With Ionizer and Color-Changing Light, and Essential Oil Diffuser 300mL Anjou Aromatherapy Diffuser.
Remember, when buying anything for yourself, always make sure you’re well-informed. It’s not just about the price or the product’s popularity. You should always ensure that it serves your purpose as well.
Essential Oils Diffusers are designed to make our aromatherapy sessions be more fun and cool. To date, various companies have designed different products, from where we have picked some of the best for you to decide when purchasing.
You should always look at the capacity of the tank and the amount of noise a diffuser makes before you purchase, among other unique features.