Vegetables are said to be the oil that keeps your body running. Not only do they provide you with most of the essential minerals and vitamins but also provide dietary fiber for good digestion. One vegetable that can transform your every meal is cabbage which you can enjoy as Sauerkraut, coleslaw or in a salad. Unlike lettuce that you can enjoy in whole pieces, cabbage needs to be cut into small pieces that are uniform, thin and attractive to eat. While a knife can get this done, a cabbage shredder will save you the hustle of preparing this multivitamin vegetable.
Cabbage shredders are specially designed to cut through vegetables in a precise and uniform manner saving you meal preparation time. The shredders are mostly made of wood or plastic and feature blades that provide you with varying thickness. Compared to a knife, cabbage shredders come with double or triple blades which slice through the cabbage quickly. While most people haven’t come across a cabbage shredder, the market is gradually filling up with lots of them.
While shopping for a cabbage shredder, you need to look out for the type of blade on the product and how easy it is to shred the cabbage. We have put together a list of some of the best cabbage shredders available in the market that will not only save you cabbage preparation time but provide you with clean, uniform cuts.
Best 10 Cabbage Shredders of 2019 Reviewed
- Best 10 Cabbage Shredders of 2019 Reviewed
- 1. Raw Rutes Traditional Wooden Cabbage Shredder
- 2. CabbageShredder.com Cabbage Slicer
- 3. K&K Keramik Compact Beech Wood Cabbage Shredder
- 4. Gourmia GMS9340 Cabbage Shredder
- 5. PetriStor Cabbage Shredder
- 6. Presto Salad Shooter 02970 Professional Cabbage Shredder
- 7. TSM Products Cabbage Shredder
- 8. Hemoton Vegetable Peeler
- 9. UPIT Wide-Body Cabbage Shredder
- 10. Zociko Stainless Steel Peeler
- How to Choose the Best Cabbage Shredder – Ultimate Buying Guide
1. Raw Rutes Traditional Wooden Cabbage ShredderBest Handcrafted Cabbage Shredder
Raw Rutes brings you this quality hardwood shredder that will help you easily prepare healthy cabbage meals. It’s made from sustainably sourced wood and handcrafted by experts in a European generational workshop. No laminates or plywood have been used in the construction of the shredder to ensure it’s of the highest quality. It’s a great investment especially for making sauerkraut meals right at home.
For a cleaner cut, each of the shredders has been fitted with three stainless steel blades with micro-serrations for a better grip on the cabbage. For safety, the cabbage shredder has a finger guard that allows you to slice the cabbage until the very end without hurting your finger. The shredder has a fine finish that will add elegance to your food preparation.
- Handcrafted for quality
- Three micro-serrated blades
- Finger guard for safety
- Hand-hold is a bit small
- Blades are extremely sharp
- Not easy to clean
2. CabbageShredder.com Cabbage SlicerBest Cabbage Shredder for Safe Slicing
From a Polish company dedicated to making quality cabbage shredders comes this beautifully crafted product that’s made from Beechwood. It has a solid wooden frame that’s hard and strong enough to withstand years of cabbage shredding. The wood used is 100% natural and doesn’t have any tan or polish making it food safe for your meal preparation needs. It boasts of three sharp blades that are strategically positioned to provide you with clean cuts. You will experience no clogging with this cabbage shredder.
For easy cleaning, you can pass it through running tap water and use a light brush to remove any dirt from the corners. For added safety, the shredder comes with a cut resistant glove to keep your fingers safe as you shred. The cabbage chopper also comes with a lifetime warranty.
- Sharp blades with no clogging
- Made of food safe wood
- Includes a cut resistant glove
- Wood may warp easily
- Lots of fakes in the market
- No hand guard
3. K&K Keramik Compact Beech Wood Cabbage ShredderBest Wooden Cabbage Shredder
Experience German craftsmanship with this beautifully crafted cabbage shredder that has been made from untreated raw Beechwood. It comes with three razor sharp blades that will quickly shred your cabbage in a precise manner. It also comes with a removable handguard that will keep your fingers safe when shredding. There’s also a box that slides into the rails that provides stability when shredding.
For better hygiene, the nails are on the underside which prevents buildup of harmful bacteria in the screw holes. The shredder is also indented at the end to provide a better grip as you shred your cabbage. You can be sure that this kitchen tool will last for a long time due to the high quality of materials used.
- High quality wooden construction
- Removable handguard
- Slide box for stability
- A bit pricey
- Doesn’t fit large cabbages
- Slide box needs lots of energy
4. Gourmia GMS9340 Cabbage ShredderBest Plastic Cabbage Shredder
Invest in this dynamic kitchen tool that is a mandolin slicer on one side and a cabbage shredder on the other side. This two in one grater and slicer helps create fine strips of vegetables including uniformly cut cabbage slices for your coleslaw and sauerkraut. For increased safety, it comes with a hand guard which helps keep your fingers away from the blades. The shredder has a versatile design that allows you to lay it flat when shredding or hold it over a cutting board.
It’s made of strong BPA free plastic that is food safe and fit to prepare healthy meals. Its blades are made of stainless steel and are sharp for uniform, precise cuts. The blades are resistant to rust and don’t need sharpening. Its dishwasher safe for easy cleaning. Other than cabbage, you can use this shredder to prepare other vegetables such as carrots, garlic and other ingredients.
- 2 in 1 cabbage shredder
- Versatile kitchen tool
- Made of BPA free strong plastic
- Very large
- Not adjustable
- Slices are too thin
5. PetriStor Cabbage ShredderBest Cabbage Shredder with Removable Blades
Prepare fancy cabbage salads or sauerkraut with this cabbage shredder from PetriStor that doubles up as a kitchen spatula. It comes with removable blades which can be unfastened and sharpened to your likeness. One side can also be used as kitchen knife which adds to the versatility of this kitchen tool. It can be easily cleaned by rinsing in warm water and hanging it using the tag on the end. The ergonomic handle is firm and provides you with a firm grip as you shred.
- Removable blades
- Easy to clean
- Ergonomic handle
- Doesn’t come with instructions
- Blades can be flimsy
- Not ideal for thin slices
6. Presto Salad Shooter 02970 Professional Cabbage ShredderBest Electric Cabbage Shredder
Create beautiful cabbage and vegetable meals by quickly preparing them using this electric cabbage shredder. It comes with four interchangeable cones that can provide you with regular slices, shred cuts, thick slices and ripple cuts. It also features a funnel guide to help prevent messes when preparing your ingredients. It has a strong plastic housing with an ergonomic handle for a better grip. To clean, the base can be wiped with a cloth while the rest of the appliance can be thrown into the dishwasher.
- Professional grade shredder
- Interchangeable cones
- Funnel guide for better meal prep
- A bit complicated to use
- Cleaning the inside is a headache
7. TSM Products Cabbage ShredderBest Steel Cabbage Shredder
Easily prepare your sauerkraut or coleslaw with this cabbage shredder from TSM Products. It’s fully made of stainless steel with a strong body and sharp blades. The blades are also adjustable to provide you with varying thickness of your cabbage. It also comes with a safety pusher attachment to keep your hands safe as you slice. You can easily clean it by running it in tap water.
- Firm steel construction
- Fast shredding
- Includes a safety pusher
- Better design for a good grip needed
- May bend under intense pressure
- No instruction manual
8. Hemoton Vegetable PeelerBest Ergonomically Designed Cabbage Shredder
Easily slice your cabbage with this ergonomically designed peeler from Hemoton. It comes with a multi-angle rotating knife at the edge which quickly cuts through your cabbage giving you uniform and thin slices. It can be used on almost types of vegetables and operates in an easy gliding motion. The handle is ergonomically designed to provide you with a firm grip as you peel or slice. At the end of the handle is a hole that you can use to hang the shredder for easy storage.
- Easy to store and clean
- Rolling knife for quick slicing
- Ergonomic handle
- Minimal safety features
- Can’t adjust thickness of slices
- Not for a busy kitchen
9. UPIT Wide-Body Cabbage ShredderBest Wide Body Cabbage Shredder
Enjoy preparing your cabbages with this wide-body cabbage shredder from UPIT. It’s made of ABS plastic that’s strong and durable and won’t cave in when you are shredding. The wide body allows you to shred large cabbages easily by gliding through the blades. Its blades are made of stainless steel and are razor sharp for easy slicing. You can also adjust the thickness of the slices in four easy steps. It also includes a safety device that protects your fingers during shredding.
- Strong ABS plastic construction
- Wide body
- Razor sharp blades
- Dirt may get stuck on the edges
- Technical to adjust thickness of slices
- Reduced safety features
10. Zociko Stainless Steel PeelerBest FDA-Approved Cabbage Shredder
Add this cabbage slicer to your kitchen and enjoy quick shredding and dicing that will reduce the time spent prepping food drastically. It comes with 3 different blades made of high grade stainless steel that can be used to slice and shred different vegetables. The steel construction is durable with an ergonomic handle that gives you a firm grip. The peeler is easy to clean in the dishwasher or running it through tap water. The peeler is also FDA-approved as food safe with great antimicrobial properties.
- 3 different blades
- Ergonomic handle
- One thickness for the cabbage
- Interchangeable head is flimsy
- Not great for small vegetables
How to Choose the Best Cabbage Shredder – Ultimate Buying Guide
Cabbage is one of the most versatile vegetables that can be made into a million dishes. You can enjoy is as sauerkraut, coleslaw, salad or even in your soup. Though overlooked, cabbages are packed with nutrients and high fiber content that will do wonders for your body. However, using a kitchen knife to chop up a cabbage is not only time consuming but also gives you uneven cuts. With a cabbage shredder, you will uniformly slice your cabbages precisely and uniformly. A cabbage shredder can be made of wood or plastic and comes with extra sharp blades for quick slicing.
Benefits of Eating Cabbage
Before looking into cabbage shredders in more details, let’s explore some of the key benefits of including cabbage in your diet.
- Nutritional content – Cabbage is low in calories but packed with lots of vitamins and essential minerals. It has a high amount of fiber, vitamin K, Vitamin C and folate which is especially useful to pregnant women. It also has antioxidants which protect the body from free radicals.
- Reduces inflammation – While inflammation may not always be bad for your body, chronic inflammation isn’t nice to have. Cabbages are known to contain high levels of antioxidants that help bring down blood markers of inflammation significantly.
- Improves digestion – Crunchy cabbage like the ones in a bowl of coleslaw or sauerkraut is great for your digestive health. The gut –friendly insoluble fiber in cabbage helps promote healthy bowel movements while the soluble fiber is said to increase the number of beneficial bacteria in the digestive tract.
- Vitamin K – Cabbage has been found to be a great source of Vitamin K since 89 grams of cabbage deliver almost 85% of the required daily intake of this important mineral. Vitamin K is extremely essential since it helps blood clot properly in the body.
Ever Tried Sauerkraut?
Sauerkraut has become a popular way to enjoy cabbage. Sauerkraut is fermented cabbage with origins in China and has been around for about 2,000 years. However, its name is German where it’s one of the most popular dishes. As with fermented food, sauerkraut doesn’t spoil quickly and has a higher nutritional value than fresh cabbage. To make it, you just need finely chopped green cabbage, salt, carrots and garlic. Once you’ve prepped all the ingredients, put them in a tight sealed jar and enjoy them after one to four weeks. You will be blown away by the strong, tangy taste.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Cabbage Shredder
- Blades – Most of the cabbage shredders feature three blades that are designed to easily slice through the vegetable giving you quick clean cuts. It’s important to be cautious when running the cabbage through these blades since they are extremely sharp. Most of the blades are made of stainless steel and are the core components of the cabbage shredder.
- Safety – As with most slicers, dicers and shredders, the safety of your hands is critical since you will be running your food over sharp blades. Ensure that the shredder has a finger guard that keeps your fingers away from the blades. You can also wear a cut resistant glove that will keep your fingers safe from any cuts and braises.
- Material – The two materials used to make cabbage shredders are wood and plastic. Wood is not only elegant looking but it’s also strong enough to accommodate heavy shredding. However, you have to ensure that the wood used is eco-friendly and food safe. Plastic cabbage slicers are cheaper compared to wood but aren’t as durable.
- Blade Assortment – You may want varying thickness on the size of the cabbage. It’s great when a cabbage shredder can accommodate this need by having several blades that be easily switched to provide a variety of cuts. While some shredders may not allow for blade adjustment, they may come in different sizes for different thickness.
- Cleaning – It’s common for cabbage to get stuck on the sides of the shredder as you slice. When picking an ideal product, ensure that it’s easy to clean since when such remnants are on the sides of the shredder for too long, they may lead to buildup of harmful bacteria.
Get to make a delicious bowl of sauerkraut or coleslaw at home by taking charge of your cabbage slicing using a cabbage shredder. No need to pass on the immense benefits of eating cabbage due to hectic food preparation procedures.Hopefully, this review has provided insight on the best cabbage shredders available in the market that will preparing this highly nutritional and tasty vegetable easy, safe and fast.