Vegetables are said to be the oil that keeps your body running. Not only do they provide you with most of the essential minerals and vitamins but also provide dietary fiber for good digestion. One vegetable that can transform your every meal is cabbage which you can enjoy as Sauerkraut, coleslaw or in a salad. Unlike lettuce that you can enjoy in whole pieces, cabbage needs to be cut into small pieces that are uniform, thin and attractive to eat. While a knife can get this done, a cabbage shredder will save you the hustle of preparing this multivitamin vegetable.
Cabbage shredders are specially designed to cut through vegetables in a precise and uniform manner saving you meal preparation time. The shredders are mostly made of wood or plastic and feature blades that provide you with varying thickness. Compared to a knife, cabbage shredders come with double or triple blades which slice through the cabbage quickly. While most people haven’t come across a cabbage shredder, the market is gradually filling up with lots of them.
While shopping for a cabbage shredder, you need to look out for the type of blade on the product and how easy it is to shred the cabbage. We have put together a list of some of the best cabbage shredders available in the market that will not only save you cabbage preparation time but provide you with clean, uniform cuts.
Best 10 Cabbage Shredders of 2020 Reviewed
- Best 10 Cabbage Shredders of 2020 Reviewed
- 1. CabbageShredder.com Cabbage Slicer
- 2. Gourmia GMS9340 Cabbage Shredder
- 3. PetriStor Cabbage Shredder
- 4. Raw Rutes Traditional Wooden Cabbage Shredder
- 5. K&K Keramik Compact Beech Wood Cabbage Shredder
- 6. Presto Salad Shooter 02970 Professional Cabbage Shredder
- 7. MITBAK Stainless Steel Spiralizer Vegetable Slicer
- 8. OXO 11244500 Good Grips Large Y Peeler, Black
- 9. Shredder for Cabbage Metal Cabbage Slicer by PetriStor
- 10. Precision Kitchenware – Ultra-Sharp Stainless Steel Dual Julienne & Vegetable Peeler
- How to Choose the Best Cabbage Shredder – Ultimate Buying Guide
1. CabbageShredder.com Cabbage SlicerBest Cabbage Shredder for Safe Slicing
From a Polish company dedicated to making quality cabbage shredders comes this beautifully crafted product that’s made from Beechwood. It has a solid wooden frame that’s hard and strong enough to withstand years of cabbage shredding. The wood used is 100% natural and doesn’t have any tan or polish making it food safe for your meal preparation needs. It boasts of three sharp blades that are strategically positioned to provide you with clean cuts. You will experience no clogging with this cabbage shredder.
For easy cleaning, you can pass it through running tap water and use a light brush to remove any dirt from the corners. For added safety, the shredder comes with a cut resistant glove to keep your fingers safe as you shred. The cabbage chopper also comes with a lifetime warranty.
- Sharp blades with no clogging
- Made of food safe wood
- Includes a cut resistant glove
- Wood may warp easily
- Lots of fakes in the market
- No hand guard
2. Gourmia GMS9340 Cabbage ShredderBest Plastic Cabbage Shredder
Invest in this dynamic kitchen tool that is a mandolin slicer on one side and a cabbage shredder on the other side. This two in one grater and slicer helps create fine strips of vegetables including uniformly cut cabbage slices for your coleslaw and sauerkraut. For increased safety, it comes with a hand guard which helps keep your fingers away from the blades. The shredder has a versatile design that allows you to lay it flat when shredding or hold it over a cutting board.
It’s made of strong BPA free plastic that is food safe and fit to prepare healthy meals. Its blades are made of stainless steel and are sharp for uniform, precise cuts. The blades are resistant to rust and don’t need sharpening. Its dishwasher safe for easy cleaning. Other than cabbage, you can use this shredder to prepare other vegetables such as carrots, garlic and other ingredients.
- 2 in 1 cabbage shredder
- Versatile kitchen tool
- Made of BPA free strong plastic
- Very large
- Not adjustable
- Slices are too thin
3. PetriStor Cabbage ShredderBest Cabbage Shredder with Removable Blades
Prepare fancy cabbage salads or sauerkraut with this cabbage shredder from PetriStor that doubles up as a kitchen spatula. It comes with removable blades which can be unfastened and sharpened to your likeness. One side can also be used as kitchen knife which adds to the versatility of this kitchen tool. It can be easily cleaned by rinsing in warm water and hanging it using the tag on the end. The ergonomic handle is firm and provides you with a firm grip as you shred.
- Removable blades
- Easy to clean
- Ergonomic handle
- Doesn’t come with instructions
- Blades can be flimsy
- Not ideal for thin slices
4. Raw Rutes Traditional Wooden Cabbage ShredderBest Handcrafted Cabbage Shredder
Raw Rutes brings you this quality hardwood shredder that will help you easily prepare healthy cabbage meals. It’s made from sustainably sourced wood and handcrafted by experts in a European generational workshop. No laminates or plywood have been used in the construction of the shredder to ensure it’s of the highest quality. It’s a great investment especially for making sauerkraut meals right at home.
For a cleaner cut, each of the shredders has been fitted with three stainless steel blades with micro-serrations for a better grip on the cabbage. For safety, the cabbage shredder has a finger guard that allows you to slice the cabbage until the very end without hurting your finger. The shredder has a fine finish that will add elegance to your food preparation.
- Handcrafted for quality
- Three micro-serrated blades
- Finger guard for safety
- Hand-hold is a bit small
- Blades are extremely sharp
- Not easy to clean
5. K&K Keramik Compact Beech Wood Cabbage ShredderBest Wooden Cabbage Shredder
Experience German craftsmanship with this beautifully crafted cabbage shredder that has been made from untreated raw Beechwood. It comes with three razor sharp blades that will quickly shred your cabbage in a precise manner. It also comes with a removable handguard that will keep your fingers safe when shredding. There’s also a box that slides into the rails that provides stability when shredding.
For better hygiene, the nails are on the underside which prevents buildup of harmful bacteria in the screw holes. The shredder is also indented at the end to provide a better grip as you shred your cabbage. You can be sure that this kitchen tool will last for a long time due to the high quality of materials used.
- High quality wooden construction
- Removable handguard
- Slide box for stability
- A bit pricey
- Doesn’t fit large cabbages
- Slide box needs lots of energy
6. Presto Salad Shooter 02970 Professional Cabbage ShredderBest Electric Cabbage Shredder
Create beautiful cabbage and vegetable meals by quickly preparing them using this electric cabbage shredder. It comes with four interchangeable cones that can provide you with regular slices, shred cuts, thick slices and ripple cuts. It also features a funnel guide to help prevent messes when preparing your ingredients. It has a strong plastic housing with an ergonomic handle for a better grip. To clean, the base can be wiped with a cloth while the rest of the appliance can be thrown into the dishwasher.
- Professional grade shredder
- Interchangeable cones
- Funnel guide for better meal prep
- A bit complicated to use
- Cleaning the inside is a headache
7. MITBAK Stainless Steel Spiralizer Vegetable SlicerBest Stainless Steel Spiralizer Vegetable Slicer
Looking for an ultra-strong, durable cabbage shredder? If so, then you should try the MITBAK Stainless Steel Spiralizer/Vegetable Slicer. It has a durable built, which makes it possible to last for a lifetime. It comes with steel blades in three different slices. You can easily change the blades to create a wide variety of dishes. We are talking about the best stainless steel spiralizer/vegetable slicer when it comes to creating dishes for different diets. You may use it for vegan, low carb, gluten-free, keto, or paleo to a significant effect. Use this device to create tasty, healthy, curly fries as well as dishes containing all vegetables.
The cabbage shredder is exceptionally safe to use. It comes with several suction cups to the bottom to securely hold it in place. You may use it on a table, kitchen countertop or other flat surfaces. So, why don’t you buy it as a special gift for your friends and family members?
- A robust and durable cabbage shredder
- Easy to change blades to prepare different types of dishes
- The suction cups hold it securely on any flat surface
- Some users said suction cups are useless
- You need a brush to wash it
- Might not be suitable for preparing zucchini
8. OXO 11244500 Good Grips Large Y Peeler, Black
The OXO 11244500 Good Grips Large Y Peeler is much more than that. You may use it to peel all kinds of vegetables, including butternut squash and eggplant. In addition to that, this is a capable cabbage shredder. Depending on the pressure you apply to it, this device will give you sliced cabbages in varied thicknesses. The Y shape makes it comfortable to hold with zero cases of bruising. Additionally, the handle features an ergonomic, non-slip handle. It comes with durable, sharp, rust-free stainless steel blades from Japan.
Another thing you will like about this device is that it is 100 percent dishwasher safe. That makes it extremely easy to clean. The cabbage peeler comes with a guarantee aimed at ensuring you can get a replacement or repairs when you experience any issues. In addition to the Large Y-Peeler, you may also buy the Asparagus Peeler, Citrus Peeler, Corn Peeler, Prep Y-Peeler, Straight Blade Set, Julienne Y-Peeler, Serrates Y-Peeler, and one with assorted blades.
- Shreds and peels different types of vegetables
- The ergonomic handle is comfortable to hold
- You can clean it in the dishwasher
- Some people found it difficult to use
- It might be too small for your liking
- Some users couldn’t peel potatoes with it
9. Shredder for Cabbage Metal Cabbage Slicer by PetriStorBest Metal Cabbage Slicer
Now introducing a must-have tool in every kitchen. The Shredder for Cabbage by PetriStor is a sharp knife that is always up to the task. It is excellent when it comes to slicing cabbages for use in salads or fermentation in readiness for the winter. The sharp, removable blades are easy to maintain – you can sharpen them and install them back onto the device so that you can keep using it. It comes with a wooden spatula for other functions in the kitchen.
In addition to cabbages, you can use this device to shred other types of vegetables. The only thing it wouldn’t do effectively is peeling vegetables which require that. You don’t have to worry about how you are going to clean this cabbage slicer – simply use warm water to rinse it, and you can use it again. Did you know that it is the best metal cabbage slicer? So, why not go ahead and buy one for yourself?
- The blades are removable and easy to sharpen
- It is capable of shredding different types of vegetables
- It is easy to wash the slicer
- Reports of the screws rusting
- Some said it looks cheap and of poor quality
- It cannot act as a peeler
10. Precision Kitchenware – Ultra-Sharp Stainless Steel Dual Julienne & Vegetable PeelerBest Stainless Steel Vegetable Peeler
The Precision Kitchenware Ultra-Sharp Stainless Steel Dual Julienne & Vegetable Peeler is a solidly built device that’s to be around the kitchen for a long time. It is the best stainless steel vegetable peeler, given that you can use it on a butternut squash as well as a pumpkin. When it comes to slicing cabbages, you will get the best results with this device. The stainless steel blades are of the highest quality, ultra-sharp, and dishwasher safe. With such ultra-sharp blades, you will significantly reduce the time you take to prepare food in your kitchen.
How would you like to get access to some of the best kitchen recipes? When you buy this cabbage slicer, the manufacturers will email you a set of recipes for paleo, gluten-free, low-carb, and vegan diets. The good thing is that the recipes are illustrated and easy to follow. You will get a warranty that assures you of a replacement or a refund – you are free to choose one.
- Cleaning this cabbage slicer is easy and quick
- It comes with ultra-sharp blades to save food preparation time
- It comes with a guarantee from the manufacturers
- The sharp blades can easily cut you when it is stored wrongly
- Making vegetable noodles is not possible
- Tends to fidget in the user’s hands
How to Choose the Best Cabbage Shredder – Ultimate Buying Guide
Cabbage is one of the most versatile vegetables that can be made into a million dishes. You can enjoy is as sauerkraut, coleslaw, salad or even in your soup. Though overlooked, cabbages are packed with nutrients and high fiber content that will do wonders for your body. However, using a kitchen knife to chop up a cabbage is not only time consuming but also gives you uneven cuts. With a cabbage shredder, you will uniformly slice your cabbages precisely and uniformly. A cabbage shredder can be made of wood or plastic and comes with extra sharp blades for quick slicing.
Benefits of Eating Cabbage
Before looking into cabbage shredders in more details, let’s explore some of the key benefits of including cabbage in your diet.
- Nutritional content – Cabbage is low in calories but packed with lots of vitamins and essential minerals. It has a high amount of fiber, vitamin K, Vitamin C and folate which is especially useful to pregnant women. It also has antioxidants which protect the body from free radicals.
- Reduces inflammation – While inflammation may not always be bad for your body, chronic inflammation isn’t nice to have. Cabbages are known to contain high levels of antioxidants that help bring down blood markers of inflammation significantly.
- Improves digestion – Crunchy cabbage like the ones in a bowl of coleslaw or sauerkraut is great for your digestive health. The gut –friendly insoluble fiber in cabbage helps promote healthy bowel movements while the soluble fiber is said to increase the number of beneficial bacteria in the digestive tract.
- Vitamin K – Cabbage has been found to be a great source of Vitamin K since 89 grams of cabbage deliver almost 85% of the required daily intake of this important mineral. Vitamin K is extremely essential since it helps blood clot properly in the body.
Ever Tried Sauerkraut?
Sauerkraut has become a popular way to enjoy cabbage. Sauerkraut is fermented cabbage with origins in China and has been around for about 2,000 years. However, its name is German where it’s one of the most popular dishes. As with fermented food, sauerkraut doesn’t spoil quickly and has a higher nutritional value than fresh cabbage. To make it, you just need finely chopped green cabbage, salt, carrots and garlic. Once you’ve prepped all the ingredients, put them in a tight sealed jar and enjoy them after one to four weeks. You will be blown away by the strong, tangy taste.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Cabbage Shredder
- Blades – Most of the cabbage shredders feature three blades that are designed to easily slice through the vegetable giving you quick clean cuts. It’s important to be cautious when running the cabbage through these blades since they are extremely sharp. Most of the blades are made of stainless steel and are the core components of the cabbage shredder.
- Safety – As with most slicers, dicers and shredders, the safety of your hands is critical since you will be running your food over sharp blades. Ensure that the shredder has a finger guard that keeps your fingers away from the blades. You can also wear a cut resistant glove that will keep your fingers safe from any cuts and braises.
- Material – The two materials used to make cabbage shredders are wood and plastic. Wood is not only elegant looking but it’s also strong enough to accommodate heavy shredding. However, you have to ensure that the wood used is eco-friendly and food safe. Plastic cabbage slicers are cheaper compared to wood but aren’t as durable.
- Blade Assortment – You may want varying thickness on the size of the cabbage. It’s great when a cabbage shredder can accommodate this need by having several blades that be easily switched to provide a variety of cuts. While some shredders may not allow for blade adjustment, they may come in different sizes for different thickness.
- Cleaning – It’s common for cabbage to get stuck on the sides of the shredder as you slice. When picking an ideal product, ensure that it’s easy to clean since when such remnants are on the sides of the shredder for too long, they may lead to buildup of harmful bacteria.
Get to make a delicious bowl of sauerkraut or coleslaw at home by taking charge of your cabbage slicing using a cabbage shredder. No need to pass on the immense benefits of eating cabbage due to hectic food preparation procedures.Hopefully, this review has provided insight on the best cabbage shredders available in the market that will preparing this highly nutritional and tasty vegetable easy, safe and fast.