Yes, some of us enjoy ironing, but let’s be honest —a good number of us loathe this task and see it as boring. But hey! we don’t have a choice; it’s a “necessary evil” that we can’t escape from.
You see, our dresses usually define our personality. This means that we have to ensure they are perfectly ironed to remain wrinkle-free — whether going for that social event, work, or an interview. As you invest in a decent iron, you also can’t forget about a quality ironing board. This board allows you to easily straighten up your dresses, zipping through piles of laundry in a fraction of the time.
There are many varieties of ironing boards out there — from super lightweight ones to wall-mounted ones. To help you choose the best ironing boards, we have spent hours researching through dozens of options to get you some cool options that will make ironing easier.
Top 10 Ironing Boards of 2020 Reviewed
1. Homz Ironing Board T-Leg Charcoal GreyBest Sleeveboard Mini Ironing Board
Finding an ironing board that is capable of meeting all of your needs can be daunting. Sometimes, you won’t know what you have until you start using it. The Homz Ironing Board features a 53-inch by 13-inch perforated top. What that does is to allow easy breathability for crease-free clothes for all occasions. The pad is made from polyurethane foam and is covered by a 100 percent cotton fabric. The advantage of having cotton is that it quickly wicks away water from a steam iron. It is also heat resistant.
It is possible to adjust the T-legs to have the board reach a maximum height of 35 inches. That means you will be able to set it to a height that is comfortable for you. But that is not all that the T-leg does for you. It stands firm and has a leg lock that makes it possible for you to transport and use it securely. You can trust the quality of this ironing board, given that it is a USA product. It is easy to use and has a release lever that opens and closes up the board.
- The mesh steel top is breathable and durable
- The cover is a 100 percent cotton fabric that resists heat and dries quickly
- It is possible to adjust the height to what you find comfortable for you
- Some users found the cover flimsy and the foam too thin
- Reports of the ironing board being warped and unable to stay upright
- Some users found it wobbly and impossible to use
2. Mabel Home Ironing Board, Adjustable HeightBest Best Ironing Board with Adjustable Height
Mabel Home is a well-known manufacturer of ironing boards and this is only the latest addition to their huge portfolio. So, what’s new with this ironing board? It has a surface area of 53 inches long by 13 inches wide. It may not be the biggest, but it is wide enough to support most of your ironing needs. This ironing board will definitely accommodate most of your clothes, no matter how big they are.
With 2-inch thick padding, this ironing board won’t leave your clothes with mesh marks. The outer cover is made of heat-resistant cotton. When you start having issues with the cover, you can replace it with the included extra. The manufacturers include an extra cover to make it easier for you to continue ironing. You do not have to buy a new ironing board.
The ironing board has 4 legs, which makes it sturdy and unlikely to fall while in use. You don’t have to use it at a specific height. With four pre-set settings for the height, you can adjust it lower or higher depending on your needs. The minimum height is 30 inches while the maximum is 35 inches. Another standout feature is the outboard tray that holds the iron. The outboard itself has heat-resistant silicone spots that protect the base of the iron from intermittent scratches.
- Has a thick cotton padding
- The height is adjustable to a comfortable level
- An outboard tray to hold the iron
- A little costlier than other ironing boards
- Reports of the frame collapsing without warning
- Might be delivered to you damaged
3. Honey-Can-Do Door Hanging Ironing BoardBest Hanging Ironing Board
If you are pressed for space, you need a small, compact ironing board. The Honey-Can-Do Door-Hanging Ironing Board is a good example of such a product. After using it, you can hook this board onto a door for storage. That way, you will have no need for huge storage space. As a precaution, the door on which you will hang this ironing board should be strong, sturdy, and able to accommodate its weight. Also, the door should have sufficient clearance so that you can actually use it for storage.
The ironing surface is large enough. It measures 42 inches long and 14 inches wide. That’s definitely bigger than some of the smaller ironing boards. Considering the door hangers, the board is 47 inches, maximum. The padding is made of a 100 percent cotton outer covering and a foam interior. That way, your clothes will come out smooth and crease-free every time you iron them.
Apart from hanging it on the door, you can also mount the ironing board on a wall. The supplied pipe straps will hold it securely in place and prevent it from jiggling unnecessarily. It is great for people who iron occasionally. The folding is smooth and locks into the upright position safe enough.
- Easy to hang over a door
- The padding is made of 100 percent cotton outer cover
- Small, compact, and ideal for small spaces
- Not suitable for use with a steam iron
- Tends to bang against the door during opening and closing
- Has a thin padding cover
4. Whitmor Tabletop Ironing Board with Scorch Resistant CoverBest Tabletop Ironing Board
Tabletop ironing boards are the best for people who travel regularly. They are compact, lightweight, and easy to carry. While tabletop ironing boards exist in different models, not all of them are equal. On top of the table, you will find the Whitmor Tabletop Ironing Board. It is designed for use in places with limited space. One of the standout features of this ironing board is the metal mesh construction which lets the steam through. That way, your fabric, and clothing are protected from excessive heat.
It comes with a retractable metal hook that enables you to hang it on a wall or door. This ironing board can also easily be stored in a closet. The padded cover provides extra comfort when ironing. Before storing it, you are required to fold the legs. Thus it is the best board for people who like ironing on the go.
With this ironing board, there is no need for assembly works. The top cover is made of heat-resistant cotton, which is highly durable. You can expect to have this ironing board for a long time to come. To make the ironing board stable, the feet are made of non-skid materials. That way, you can use it without worrying about the ironing board slipping away.
- No assembly needed for this ironing board
- Has a retractable hook for storing it away
- Made of mesh to let the steam to pass through
- Reports of an ultra-thin padding
- Some reviewers have said it is rather wobbly
- May arrive with a ripped top cover
5. Minky Homecare Ergo Ironing BoardBest Lightweight Ironing Board
When constructing an ironing board, manufacturers often overlook the fact that it will be used by both left-handed and right-handed users. This is something that Minky Homecare had to carefully incorporate into the design of this particular board. So, basically, anyone can use this ironing board without regard to whether he or she is left-handed or right-handed. With a unique ergonomic design, this ironing board is extremely easy and comfortable to use.
Thanks to the flex guide feature, the iron box cord will not tangle or snag. That makes it possible to keep working without having to figure out how to disentangle the cord. Additionally, the four-leg design makes this ironing board strong and sturdy. The ironing surface measures 48 inches long and 15 inches wide. That is large enough to accommodate most of your clothes.
It features Prozone Cover, which is made of 100 percent cotton. Thus it is heat-resistant and can be used for ironing over a long period of time. The surface has a metallic coating that reflects heat, enabling it to dissipate it. As such, this ironing board will not be scorched as a result of high heat levels. With a feature that allows you to adjust the height, you can set it to a level with which you are most comfortable. The maximum height is 35 inches from the floor.
- The ironing surface is wide enough
- Comes with a sturdy, solid construction
- Lightweight and highly portable
- Reports of missing parts when the board is supplied
- Reports of wobbly feet due to uneven legs
- May arrive damaged
6. Jacobson Products Padded Sleeve Ironing BoardBest Padded Sleeve Ironing Board
Are you looking for a compact ironing board that is suitable for compact, small spaces? The Jacobson Products Padded Sleeve Ironing Board is perhaps the smallest among all the products featured in this review. It measures a maximum of 24 inches long and 9 inches wide. It is made of ½-inch plywood, which is then padded with a 100 percent cotton cover.
Don’t underestimate this ironing board. Despite its compact size, the surface is enough for ironing garments to the front and back together with the sleeves. In short, you do not require an overly huge ironing board to carry out your duties. Because of the permeability of the plywood, you can use this garment with your steam iron. It will neither scorch your garments nor burn your hands.
It comes with a heavy-duty aluminum frame which is strong enough to support reasonable weight while ironing. So, if you are looking for a strong, sturdy ironing board, try this particular product. In addition to acting as an ironing board, it can serve as the perfect pin board for tailors. It weighs only 2.86 pounds, which makes it highly portable. Thus, you can carry it with you wherever the work is.
- Great for use with a steam iron
- Can serve as a tailoring pinboard
- Has a heavy-duty aluminum frame
- Reports of arriving with dirty spots
- Reports of the board being too thick
- Some users have complained of the quality being too cheap
7. STORAGE MANIAC Tabletop Ironing Board with Folding LegsBest Tabletop Ironing Board
Unless you are in a commercial setting, you are likely to be pressed for space. And, if space isn’t enough, you need a folding tabletop ironing board like this one. It is designed to fit into small spaces in an amazing way. But that doesn’t mean that it is too small to accommodate your ironing needs. In fact, it measures 23.62 inches long and 14.17 inches wide. That’s compact enough to fit into a small space while allowing you to iron differently sized clothes.
In terms of thickness, the padding measures a maximum of 7.08 inches. The cover is a 100 percent cotton affair, which is both removable and washable. It is made of thick fiber, which makes it resilient and resistant to heat from the hot iron. It is not like other ironing boards that easily get scorched by the iron heat.
It comes with steel folding legs, which makes this ironing board extremely easy to store. Simply fold away the legs and store it in a closet. The steel legs provide a strong, sturdy construction. Thus, you do not have to worry about dealing with a wobbly, unsteady ironing board. The non-skid nature of the legs ensures that the surfaces on which you place it are protected from scratches. It is not just an ironing board but can also serve as a sewing pinboard.
- A compact ironing board, ideal for small spaces
- The cotton cover is removable and washable
- A strong, sturdy, rust-resistant steel frame
- Reports of the ironing board creating creases
- Not suitable for use with steam irons
- The height is not adjustable
8. King Do Way Ironing BoardBest Ironing Board with Wide Top
One of the biggest issues with other ironing boards is a surface that is too thick and soft. The King Do Way ironing board solves this problem by providing a solid perforated steel top ironing surface. This kind of surface helps to remove wrinkles quicker than while using other ironing boards. An additional feature for this ironing board is an iron rest. The surface has several silicone pads and hanger slots which quickly dissipate heat.
It measures 30 inches long and 12 inches wide. However, when the iron pad is open, the board measures a total of 39 inches long. The ironing surface is covered by anti-scald, heat-resistant cotton material. Basically, the cover is designed to last for the longest time possible. To prevent the ironing board from accidental collapse, it is equipped with a safety lock. Once locked into place, the ironing board doesn’t feel wobbly at all. The safety lock also comes in handy when you need to adjust the height between 28 inches and 33 inches.
The ironing board is a 4-leg affair. It is designed to be strong, sturdy, and stable, thanks to the bracket legs. It stands strong whether on carpeted or hard floors. The legs have non-slip ends that hold the board in place while you are busy ironing. What more could you ask for?
- Comes with a solid ironing surface
- Suitable for use with a steam iron
- Has an adjustable height feature
- Not suitable for tall individuals
- Reports of it being flimsy and unsteady
- Comes with little or no padding
9. Brabantia Cotton Flower Ironing Board with Solid Steam Unit HolderBest Sturdy Ironing Board
As much as it is a chore, ironing doesn’t have to be so laborious. Essentially, it should be a fun activity that you want to do often. That’s exactly what the Brabantia Cotton Flower Ironing Board will do for you. It is a massive ironing surface that measures 124 cm long and 45 cm wide. This is big enough to allow you to iron most of your clothes no matter the size.
But that isn’t the only attractive feature of this ironing board. Unlike other ironing boards, this particular one comes with a steam unit holder. Thus, you do not have to buy an extra surface to put your steam iron. Additionally, the floral design makes it attractive to the eyes. You will want to keep using this board day-in-day-out without ever ceasing.
It comes with a foldable frame which makes the ironing board extremely easy to store. Once you finish using it, simply fold the legs and keep it in a closet somewhere. To prevent accidental collapse when touched by the kids, the ironing board is equipped with a safety lock. Regardless of how high you would like the board to be, you can simply adjust it using the safety lock feature. With that kind of flexibility, the ironing board is great for people of all sizes.
- A solid, sturdy built
- Brabantia has a reputation for producing high-quality products
- It is extremely flexible when it comes to the height adjustment
- Likely to be too heavy to carry around
- The quality of the pad cover is wanting
- Reports of poor customer service
10. Ritz Professional 100 Percent Natural Cotton Ironing Board PadBest Cotton Ironing Board
Does your ironing board lack sufficient padding? Is the ironing board standard sized? If you have a standard 54-inch ironing board that requires padding, this is the product you should consider. It can help improve the padding on your ironing board while maintaining the highest standards. Made of 100 percent cotton, the padding material resists heat and dissipates moisture quickly. In short, you don’t have to worry about the outer cover getting scorched by the heat from the iron.
It is perfect for use in professional settings where a lot of pressing happens. That’s mainly because this is heavy-duty padding. So as to hold in place, the padding has a specially shaped nose. It also comes with two corner pockets that quickly snap into place to steadily hold it onto the ironing board. Once it does, it won’t come off until you decide to remove it.
With this padding material, you can use any type of iron. If a dry iron, the natural cotton will quickly and evenly distribute the heat to prevent scorching. With a steam iron, the material dissipates moisture to protect the fabric from excessive heat while protecting your hands from scolding. So, if you want padding that really works, make sure you buy this one. You will never regret it.
- Made of 100 percent natural cotton
- Designed to firmly hold in place
- Permeable padding suitable for use with a steam iron
- May smell awful when using a steam iron
- Reports of it not fitting tightly
- Not an ironing pad as such, just a padding cover
Choosing The Best Ironing Board – The Ultimate Buying Guide
Before you settle on an ironing board to buy, you need to be sure that you are making the right choice. Apart from the brands and models already discussed in this review, there are several features that you must look at. It is only after a careful examination of an ironing board that you will be sure you have made the right choice. The following are some of the questions you must answer before making a decision to buy.
What Are The Different Types Of Ironing Boards?
Ironing boards exist in different types, based on the design. Among the different types, you will find some which are portable and others which aren’t. As such, ironing boards are categorized into three different types, namely full-size, tabletop, and built-in ironing boards.
- Full-Size or Portable Ironing Boards: This kind of ironing board is the most commonly used by professionals. Among its impressive features include its existence in different sizes. They are also highly portable, given that you can carry them with you whenever you want to use them. These boards have an adjustable height, which makes it possible for you to iron while seated or standing. All you need to do is to adjust the board to a comfortable height and you are good to go.
- Tabletop Ironing Boards: Tabletop ironing boards are compact in size and suitable for situations where space is limited. They are usually placed on tables before being used for ironing. That means there is nothing much you can do about the height. Compared to the full-size ironing boards, these are compact and highly portable. That makes them great for people who like to travel a lot. Students will also find them very great. They are the most affordable among all types of ironing boards.
- Built-In or Wall-Mount Ironing Boards: Among all the three types of ironing boards this type is the least portable. Basically, you have to install it before use. You may mount your ironing board on a wall, floor or whichever is more convenient. When not in use, the board is folded away until it is required. That makes this kind of board great for rooms with little or no space. Additionally, they do not require to stand on legs, which gives them great space-saving abilities.
What Are The Dimensions Of The Ironing Board?
Apart from the type of ironing board, you need to consider its dimensions. The standard board will be 54-inch long and 15-inch wide. If you want a larger board, it will be something bigger than that. These might be 63-inch long and 19-inch wide. But before you consider an ironing board of a certain size, thing about the amount of space you have.
If you have a small space, a compact board is much better. However, if your space is big enough, you might invest in the professional-sized boards. With these, you will have more space to easily iron clothes while spreading out.
How High Is The Ironing Board?
When it comes to comfort while ironing, the height of the board is another key consideration. If you want some flexibility, pick an adjustable ironing board. It should be possible to adjust to a certain height when you want to.
So don’t pick a board that’s too low or too high. That will only make you uncomfortable and render the whole ironing exercise difficult to execute. In the end, your clothes might not be as straight as you’d hoped.
How Heavy Is The Ironing Board?
In order to easily move around your ironing board, you should ensure that it is not too heavy. That’s unless you intend to leave it in the same position forever. Even if it has been mounted on a wall, you will still need to fold and unfold it regularly.
So, the weight matters no matter how you look at it. A heavy ironing board will only make it impossible for you to use it. In the same way, light ironing boards aren’t sturdy enough and can fall over during the ironing process.
What Kind Of Padding Does The Ironing Board Have?
When buying an ironing board, most people overlook the padding. What they forget is that the board will not work properly if it doesn’t have the right padding, and sometimes they may need to go to the extent of recovering it. Thickly padded ironing boards make it easier for one to iron. They also make the clothes look exactly the way you would like. If the padding is not right, you will have to buy extra padded covers. So, that’s why it is important to buy an ironing board with the right padding from the get-go.
Is The Ironing Board Sturdy And Durable?
Who wants a shaky ironing board that can easily fall over? That’s why your ironing board must just be steady. If you choose a flimsy model, it might collapse without a warning. The sturdiness of an ironing board is usually determined by the durability of the material from which it is made. The material should also be heavy enough to keep standing, no matter the type of clothes you are ironing. So, make a wise choice.
How Easy Is It To Open And Collapse?
Most of the existing types of ironing boards need to be opened and closed all the time. That’s why you must choose a product that makes that easy for you. That will make it possible to fold and keep away the board after use and unfold when you want to iron. If it comes with an instruction manual, check that the instructions provided are easy to follow. It should be anything too complicated.
Is It Portable?
You need a portable ironing board if you work from different locations or travel regularly. In that case, the ironing board needs to be easy to fold and carry with you. The same is true for those who would like to move the ironing board around the house. What you need is a lighter and compact-sized ironing board. If you are a traveler, it should be able to fit into your luggage.
Is The Ironing Board Ventilated?
It is likely that you are going to be using a steam iron in your work. Where that’s the case, it is important that the ironing board is ventilated enough to let out the steam. Anything less than that and you might damage your fabrics and clothes or even burn yourself. The best-ventilated ironing boards have vent holes or grid work. In addition, it should be made or perforated material which is capable of letting go of the steam.
Other Features And Accessories
It is not enough to have an ironing board. The product you choose should essentially have a number of features and accessories. Without these add-on features, the ironing experience won’t be fulfilling. The following are some of the features you might want to look at:
- Sleeve Attachments: There are several ironing boards that come with sleeve attachments. These attachments are designed to swing from the sides of the board so that you can easily iron the sleeves of your shirts.
- Iron Rest: You might want to buy an ironing board with an iron rest. With that, it is safe to rest an iron while adjusting the position of the clothes on the board. Thus, you don’t need a separate device that will act as the iron rest.
- Hooks for Storage: Ironing boards with hooks are infinitely easier to store. The hooks are usually supplied separately and might be hung on a door or mounted on a wall. With these, you can hang the hoard up and remove it out of the way. Actually, you will avoid having to bump into it, even when not in use.
- Rotating Boards: It is also likely that you want a rotating board. With that, you can iron both sides of a shirt with ease. Thus, there is no need to move to the other end of the board or flip over the shirt. Simply rotate the board and you are good to go.
- Clothes Hanging Racks: How would you like an ironing board with a rack to hang clothes? This feature is important, especially if you want somewhere to hang your clothes as soon as you iron them. With that, you will avoid having to pile ironed clothes and causing further creases.
Before you settle on a particular ironing board, you need to take your time. Look at all the features discussed here and see to it that the ironing board is capable of meeting your needs. Essentially, the product should be durable enough to last for a long time to come. Since you will be ironing regularly, you need an ironing board that is extremely easy to use. Anything short of that and you will be very frustrated. So, given the reviews and buying guide, which ironing board will you pick?