The kitchen is one place where you get to bring out you culinary skills and impress your loved ones with great and scrumptious meals. This part of your home is filled with all manner of gadgets all of which serve a purpose in the creation of a heartwarming food experience for your family. One such gadget is mandolin slicer which is specially designed to create perfectly shaped foods such as salads and French fries that will make every one want to have a bite.
You may be wondering why a slicer is named after a musical instrument. Well, the gadget was given the name of this soothing ancient musical instrument because as a cook or chef, you will slice and grate on it with the skills of a mandolin player. It may sound complicated and intricate but it’s actually fun and the result is amazing. Most people fail to invest in a mandolin slicer because they have a couple of sharp knives stored away in their kitchen cabinets.
However, you need to have a mandolin slicer in your home due to the speed and uniformity the gadget brings to slicing, grating and the entire food preparation process. When shopping for a mandolin slicer, there are certain features that you need to look out for to ensure that you get a great and functional product. We have compiled a comprehensive review of some of the best mandolin slicers available in the market that will help your create unforgettable and scrumptious dishes.
Top 10 Mandoline Slicers of 2020 Reviewed
- Top 10 Mandoline Slicers of 2020 Reviewed
- 1. Gramercy Kitchen Company Adjustable Stainless Steel Mandolin Food Slicer
- 2. Mueller Austria V-Pro Multi Blade Adjustable Mandoline Slicer
- 3. Prep Naturals Adjustable Mandolin slicer
- 4. OXO Good Grips V-Blade Mandoline Slicer
- 5. Gourmia GMS9105 Adjustable Stainless Steel Mandoline Slicer
- 6. Grocery Art Mandoline Slicer
- 7. Progressive Adjust-A-Slice Mandoline
- 8. OXO Good Grips Adjustable Handheld Mandoline Slicer
- 9. Swissmar Borner V-1001 V-Slicer Plus Mandoline
- 10. Chef’s INSPIRATIONS Premium V-Blade Mandoline Slicer
- How To Choose the Right Mandoline Slicer: The Ultimate Buying Guide
1. Gramercy Kitchen Company Adjustable Stainless Steel Mandolin Food SlicerBest Mandoline Dial Slicer
The first thing that strikes you about this kitchen tool is its intricate design and masterly crafted appearance. The stainless steel blades are well arranged and entice you to start slicing any vegetable that you may have. The professional grade 4CR15 stainless steel blades are top notch quality and will rarely bend, chip or dull over time. The slicer comes with an adjustable blade knob that you can play around with to create different shapes and sizes with varying thickness.
All the slicing options are conveniently built into the slicer which saves you the hustle of rummaging through your kitchen drawers every time you need to change blades. It has two Julienne settings with a thickness of 4.5mm and 9mm. For safety, the slicer is designed to protect your hands as you slice and comes with a pair of kitchen gloves to add to the safety of your hands. It also folds flat to allow easy storage. You will also get a downloadable recipe guide to help you with ideas on what to prepare with slicer.
- Sturdy stainless steel construction
- Adjustable blades
- Free recipe guide and gloves
- Difficult to clean
- Disassembling it takes time
- Very sharp
2. Mueller Austria V-Pro Multi Blade Adjustable Mandoline SlicerBest Multi Blade Mandoline Slicer
The patented design in this V-Pro Multi blade slicer is unique and will provide you with all the versatility you will need to create great meals. The modern design features five blades; slicer blade, wavy blade, grater, shredder and coarse shredder. All these options give you a wide range of options for creating fruit salads, cheese spreads, veggie chips and onion slices among other food items. All the blades are made of 420 grade hardened steel that doesn’t dull or bend.
The body of the slicer is made using food safe ABS plastic that’s strong and built to last. The blades can adjust to a thickness of 1.9mm. The slicer also has a slicing guard made of quality stainless steel. This German engineered slicer will give you precise and uniform cuts that will be a joy to munch. Cleaning it is easy since its dish washer friendly.
- 5 adjustable blades
- Comes with a slicing guard
- Dish washer friendly
- Doesn’t hold large food items properly
- Needs quite a lot of strength to slice
- Some blades are too wide
3. Prep Naturals Adjustable Mandolin slicerBest Accesorized Mandoline Slicer
For cutting, slicing and perfect grating, Prep Naturals have expertly engineered this mandolin slicer to help solve real life complaints that have been raised regarding food preparation. It’s equipped with 3 interchangeable blades that will meet all your food prep needs. It has a total of 9 settings; 3 for standard slicing, three for julienne slicing and three on the bonus spiralizer that you get on purchase. It also has a convenient thumb dial that helps easily control all these settings.
This mandolin slicer boasts of a non-skid base that helps prevent the gadget from sliding as you work. Below the slicer is a 1.5 liter container that holds all the food as you prepare it which helps prevent creating a mess during food preparation. The gadget is dish washer safe and comes with a cleaning brush for easier cleaning. You will also get a cut resistant glove to keep your hands safe as you work.
- Anti-skid base
- 5L catch container
- Bonus spiralizer with three settings
- Can’t be disassembled for cleaning
- Quite complicated to use
- Catch container is delicate
4. OXO Good Grips V-Blade Mandoline SlicerBest V-Blade Mandoline Slicer
The V-shaped design on this OXO Good Grips mandolin slicer screams fancy food preparation and true to its design, the results are amazing. The slicer comes with straight and wavy cutters that will provide you with versatile designs for your soft food such as vegetables and hard stuff like potatoes. You can easily adjust the thickness into four types by turning the convenient knob to a thickness of 1.5, 3, 4.5 and 6 mm.
The slicer also comes with a food holder that helps keep your fingers safe as you prepare food on it. Its textured runaway prevents food from getting stuck as you slice while the non-skid base prevents the gadget from slipping as you work. The blades can easily be hand washed using running water while the rest of the slicer can be cleaned on the top rack of your dishwasher.
- 4 adjustable blade settings
- Food holder keeps fingers safe
- Easy to clean
- Could be simpler to use
- Blades are difficult to switch
- Difficult to slice hard stuff like potatoes and eggplants
5. Gourmia GMS9105 Adjustable Stainless Steel Mandoline SlicerBest ABS Plastic Mandoline Slicer
The Gourmia GMS9105 is a professional slicer and shredder that will help you create beautiful and fancy looking meals. It’s made of sleek stainless steel and boasts of a built in adjustable blade system that allows for effortless slicing. The gadget has been constructed to highest safety standards and comes with a hand held guard that keeps your fingers away from the blades as you slice. It has a dial that helps adjust the thickness of the blades to different styles according to your needs.
The body is sturdily built with the sides made of strong ABS plastic that lasts for ears. The mandoline slicer is small in size yet sharp enough to provide you with precise cuts. It’s ideal for cutting vegetables, meats and potatoes.
- Hand held food guard
- Dial style thickness adjustment
- Sharp blades for precise cuts
- Quite small
- For light use food preparation
- Difficult to clean
6. Grocery Art Mandoline SlicerBest Multiple Settings Mandoline Slicer
Slice all manner of foods with this mandolin slicer that allows you to adjust the thickness between 1 and 9 mm for standard slicing and 4.5 to 9 mm for julienne slicing. The slicer boasts of an upgraded inbuilt blade that’s stronger and thicker for your food preparation needs. The blade doesn’t bend and won’t ever need to be re-sharpened.
In terms of safety, Gourmia has gone over and beyond to ensure that your fingertips are safe. They have included a safety kit that has a pair of cut resistant gloves (large size), a blade guard, a food holder and a blade safety sleeve. In terms of cleaning, the mandoline slicer can be thrown into the dishwasher or simply rinsed in running water. You will definitely enjoy your food preparation with this slicer that will bring out the chef in you.
- Includes a safety kit complete with cut resistant gloves
- Strong and sharp blade
- Dish washer safe
- Blades not sharp enough
- The blade need to be tightened further
- Dial doesn’t lock firmly
7. Progressive Adjust-A-Slice MandolineBest Angled Blade Mandoline Slicer
Slicing vegetables such as zucchini, carrots, onions, tomatoes and fruits has never been more fun with this mandoline slicer. It’s equipped with a sliding button that helps adjust between three levels of thickness from thin, medium to thick. The diagonal blade is placed at an angle to make slicing effortless and is razor sharp for precise cuts. The base has anti-skid features that prevent it from sliding as you slice. The ridges at the bottom allow you to hook it to a food container so that you don’t make a mess as you prepare food.
- Non-skid base
- Angled blade for precise cuts
- Ridges that hook on a food container
- Not for intense food preparation
- Difficult to clean
- Less safety features
8. OXO Good Grips Adjustable Handheld Mandoline SlicerBest Grip Mandoline Slicer
For a simple yet fancy food preparation experience, you can invest in this handheld mandoline slicer from OXO. It comes with three adjustable settings to slice your food into various thickness. There’s also a window that lets you view the slices from below. The non-slip handle gives you a good grip as you work. The knob helps adjust the setting while the foot gives the slicer stability as you work. The slicer is easy to clean by throwing it into the dishwasher.
- Three adjustable settings
- Easy to clean
- Window to view the slices from below
- Not the best design
- Can be flimsy when slicing hard stuff
- Gives uneven slices
9. Swissmar Borner V-1001 V-Slicer Plus MandolineBest Safety Features Mandoline Slicer
The V-1001 V-Slicer has a classic V-shaped blade that ensure precise cuts. The slicer is easy to use and will provide you with a less hectic slicing experience. The slicer also comes with a patented safety holder that keeps your fingers safe as you slice. It has three sets of blade inserts of varying thickness including 3.5mm and 7mm blade inserts.
For easy storage, the slicer comes with a protective case that holds all the components in one place. It’s also easy to clean in running water or in the dishwasher. This prep tool has been specially designed to provide you with a variety of beautiful cuts.
- Easy to store and clean
- Three settings of thickness
- V-shaped blade for precise cuts
- Not for professional use
- The metal parts are very sharp
- The plastic frame is a bit flimsy
10. Chef’s INSPIRATIONS Premium V-Blade Mandoline SlicerBest Professional Grade Mandoline Slicer
To reduce your food preparation time by over 50% and still so it perfectly each time, then you need to get your hands on this V-Blade mandolin slicer from Chef’s INSPIRATIONS. It comes with a set of six interchangeable blade inserts that will give you varying levels of thickness; 1.5mm slice, 2.5mm slice, 3.5mm slice, 3.5mm Julienne, 7mm Julienne and 1.6mm grater insert. The body is made of BPA-free materials that are strong and sturdy for long lasting food preparation process.
For improved safety, the slicer has a hand safety guard and a protective sleeve for the blades. You will also get a pair of cut resistant gloves to help keep your hands safe as you work. It also a blade caddy to help store the blades when not in use. The sturdily built stainless steel frame comes with a one year warranty.
- Blade storage caddy
- 6 interchangeable blade inserts
- Hand safety guard
- Difficult to slice hard vegetables such as sweet potatoes
- Too many parts
- Handle is a bit flimsy
How To Choose the Right Mandoline Slicer: The Ultimate Buying Guide
Creating a memorable meal takes practice, skills and having the right kitchen tools to get the job done. If you are one of those people who love fixing a quick healthy meal, then you know the importance of having vegetables and salads in your diet. There’s no denying that digging into these nutritious meals can be hard at times and it’s only fair that the ingredients used are attractive and presented in a beautiful way. To turn boring vegetables, salads and fruits into an appetizing piece of culinary art, you need to invest in a mandoline slicer.
Mandoline slicers are specially designed kitchen tools that help you to easily prepare your food with increased speed and uniformity. You can slice, grate, cut, shred and even spiral different items into a wide variety of shapes from straight ones to spiral. These tools are usually sharper than knives and require caution as you work on them.
Anatomy of a Mandoline Slicer
This useful kitchen gadget has four main parts;
- Body – Usually made of stainless steel or hard plastic and is grooved to prevent food from sticking as you prepare. The body may have a handle for better grip or foldable legs for added stability.
- Thickness controller – Most come with a dial, knob or lever that helps set the thickness of the slices to your desired width.
- Blades – While a traditional slicer comes with a single blade, the more advanced gadgets come equipped with a number of blades to provide you with versatility and help you create all types of fancy cuts.
- Food holder – Since most mandoline slicers are very sharp, they have been fitted with a food holder that helps keep your fingers safe from the sharp blades as you slice.
Features of a Great Mandoline Slicer
When you step out to shop for this food prep gadget, the following are some of the features that you need to look out for;
- Sturdy Construction – For a mandolin slicer to operate effectively, you will need to press down the food along its length. For this reason, the slicer needs to withstand this pressure without bending or flexing. The sides should also be reinforced to withstand the intense food preparation.
- Sharp Blades – One of the most crucial features in a mandoline slicer is the razor sharp blades to ensure speed as you slice. Blunt blades are not only a headache to use but increase your chances of hurting your fingers as you press down the vegetables during slicing. According to some culinary experts, V-shaped and diagonal blades perform better than the horizontal ones. The blades are often made of either stainless steel or ceramic but both materials are equally sharp though the steel needs to be re-sharpened with time.
- Blade Height – Have a variety of height settings for the blades will provide versatility in the thinness or thickness of the slices. The slicer should have a convenient knob or dial that can be easily controlled and locked firmly in place during slicing.
- Assortment of blades – The gist of using a mandolin slicer is being in a position to create fancy looking cuts. To achieve this, the slicer comes packed with an assortment of blades that allow you to slice, cut, dice, shred and even cube. Whether you want thin fruits or shredded cheese, then picking a mandoline slicer with all manner of blades is a great idea. However, you will realize that switching between these blades can be a lot of work but the results are worth the hustle.
- Cleaning – Some mandoline slicers are a headache to clean. Most of the modern ones allow you to quickly clean the blades by running them on the tap or throwing the rest of the slicer into the dishwasher. Some even come with a cleaning brush to remove any food that may have stuck to the sides.
- Cutting Guard – Safety is paramount in a mandolin slicer lest you hurt your fingers on the razor sharp blades. To help keep your hands safe, the slicer comes with a hand guard that holds the food. The guard can be made of plastic spikes or stainless steel and presses against the food keeping your fingers away from the blades.
Before Buying that Mandoline Slicer…..
What dishes do you have in mind – If you are looking for an occasional fancy salad or vegetable meal, then you can pick a simple gadget. For complex and regular food preparation, you will need to go for one with several blades.
- Scraps are inevitable – Despite having a hand guard, you will often get bruised but don’t be tempted to get rid of the guard.
- Stay Safe – Invest in cut resistant gloves that are food friendly to ensure that you don’t lose your fingers in pursuit of a perfect meal.
Say goodbye to boring salads and plain vegetables by investing in a mandoline slicer today. Your family will love your creativity and will effortlessly eat healthy meals without fuss or complaints. Hopefully, you have identified the best mandoline slicer to meet your needs and help create a culinary work of art like a professional chef.