You’d be hard-pressed to find anything that is unrelenting as a toddler’s cries. Most of the times, it’s because they are either hungry or need their diapers changed. However, this is not always the case. At times they cry either because they’re bored or just for the sheer fact that they are awake. Being at your baby’s beck and call, especially if everything else is A-Okay can be irksome to say the list. For all you nerve-wracked moms who just need to catch a break, a baby pacifier is a must-have.
They are small and so can be carried virtually everywhere. These rubber, plastic, or silicone nipples will have your baby feeling as if they are almost sucking on the real thing. Not only does it keep your little one preoccupied, but it can also give moms time for their breasts to ease up on the soreness. They are easy to wash too. In addition to all this, they are designed to be sensitive to your growing baby’s orthodontic development.
There are a lot of considerations to make when getting the perfect one for your kid(s) and even more baby pacifiers in the market. This is why we have had medical professionals and moms have a look at what is out there. Together we have come up with the top 10 best baby pacifiers that your drool machine will absolutely love.
Top 10 Baby Pacifiers Of 2020 Reviewed
1. Philips Avent Soothie PacifierBest Pacifier For Newborns
Philips isn’t a stranger in the world of must-have baby accessories. Our top pick from this manufacturer is often recommended as one of the best baby pacifiers for newborns by most medical professionals in hospitals.
Crafted from hospital grade silicone, this pacifier is BPA and Latex-free making it completely safe for days old young ones since it is non-toxic. The pacifier’s shape is perfectly sized and shaped for baby’s tiny mouth, calming them down quickly and effectively.
Credit to its one-piece construction, most Philips Avent Soothie Pacifier reviews confirm that it is highly durable and can be comfortably used by baby until they are 3 months of age.
- Does not retain foul odor or taste due to its hospital grade silicone material, making it easier for baby to accept
- Easy to sanitize as it is dishwasher safe
- Its unique shape and size is perfect for newborns as it does not inhibit the baby’s normal development
- Recommended use is from 0 – 3 months only
2. Tomme Tippee Everyday Moda PacifierBest Pacifier For Babies Who Prefer a Rounder Nipple
The Everyday Moda pacifier by Tommy Tippee is quite popular both online and in drug stores. It boasts a classic shield style but with an edgy twist. It also carries a rounder symmetrical shape crucial for proper teeth development in babies and especially so for babies who prefer a rounder nipple.
Also one of the best pacifiers for bottle-fed babies, this model will seem familiar to them as the nipple mimics a bottle’s nipple. So, the transition from pacifier to bottle will not be distressing for them.
It also has an Air Shield Vent to allow for a comfortable flow of air between the baby’s mouth and the pacifier shield. Another impressive feature is that the nipple is reversible, making it easy for a baby to correctly insert the pacifier into their mouth.
- Very attractive everyday use designs for both boys and girls
- Perfect for bottle-fed babies as the nipple mimics a bottle’s nipple
- Reversible nipple makes it easy for the baby to correctly insert it into the mouth
- Mothers have reported an awkward fit that impedes breathing in some cases so it is wise to look out for this before buying
3. Dr. Brown’s PreVent Contour Glow-in-the-Dark PacifierBest Pacifier For Night-time Low-light Environment
This conveniently designed glow-in-the-dark pacifier has a butterfly shape that curves away from the baby’s face for maximum comfort. It also has a soft suction-release bulb that spreads wider as baby sucks for the ultimate low-pressure comfort and it has a thin nipple stem which sits unobtrusively in baby’s mouth.
To activate the glow-in-the-dark feature, simply expose to sunlight for a few minutes, it will absorb the light and glow throughout the night making it easy on both baby and mother, and making it one of the best baby pacifiers to use at night.
The pacifier also exerts minimal pressure on the baby’s palate due to its suction free technology, hence minimizing any development issues in the baby’s growth.
- The glow-in-the-dark feature makes it excellent for use at night
- Suction-free technology reduces pressure on baby’s palate preventing orthodontic developmental issues
- Thin nipple stem makes it unobtrusive and easy for a baby to accept
- The nipple part does not come with a cover, so it is important to constantly keep it clean
4. Playtex Silicon Binky PacifierBest Pacifier For Breastfed Babies
What makes the Playtex Binky the best pacifier for breastfed babies is its traditional shape resembling mother’s nipple. It is also excellent for babies whose skin is easily irritated as they are protected by built-in Air Comfort Shield Vents. The pacifier also has a Snug-N-Place feature to keep its rings in place.
Made with silicone, this pacifier is naturally BPA-free and can be cleaned easily on the top rack of a dishwasher. It is available in new-born and other sizes for babies who are 6+ months. That’s to say that it has a wider variety for mothers to choose from according to their baby’s age.
- Excellent for exclusively breastfed babies as it mimics Mum’s nipple
- Air Comfort Shield Vent feature prevents skin irritations for babies with sensitive skin
- Some mothers have reported their babies easily gagging on this pacifier
5. NUK Orthodontic PacifiersBest Orthodontic Pacifiers
Coming from one of the biggest names in pacifier brands comes the Nuk Orthodontic Pacifier. First of all, it comes with 3 of them in a single package and so replacing a chewed up one is easy. This pacifier is designed to mimic the natural shape of the mother’s nipple while breastfeeding. Consequently, it makes for an easy interchangeable transition from breast to the pacifier.
The pacifier’s nipple asymmetrical design ensures reduced pressure on developing teeth and no teeth misalignment takes place. Its improved design ascertains the baby has enough mouth-room for natural sucking to occur. The shield is heart-shaped and comes in a comfortable size for easy breathing by the baby. Did we mention the pacifier is so easy to clean?
- Glows in the dark
- Very teeth-friendly
Offers proper value for money
- The hard design leaves marks on baby’s face
- Not enough colors
- Accumulates some water after cleaning
6. MAM PacifierBest Pacifier For Easily Distracted Babies
This simple pacifier has a solid minimalist design perfect for babies who are fussy or easily distracted. It has a symmetrical nipple meaning it can never be inserted the wrong way into the mouth, only the right side up. This makes it easy for a baby to help themselves should the pacifier come out unexpectedly.
This pacifier mimics mother’s nipple making it perfect for use with breastfed babies up to the age of 6 months. It also has a soft silicone nipple with an anti-slip surface, which is tasteless, odorless and durable, making it easy for baby to accept.
- The symmetrical nipple shape allows for the correct placement of the pacifier in baby’s mouth all of the time
- Silicon construction keeps the nipple odorless and tasteless
- The shield comes slightly larger in size, even for new-born sizes, making this pacifier easy for baby to grow into.
- The shield plastic has been reported by some mothers to be a little bit too hard to lie on the baby’s soft skin
7. NUK Sports Orthodontic PacifiersBest Sport Orthodontic Pacifiers
It shouldn’t come as a surprise seeing Nuk again on this compilation. NUK Sports Silicone Orthodontic Pacifiers will soothe and comfort your toddler. They are designed based on the size and shape of the mom’s nipple while breastfeeding. Therefore, they are adapted to fit and feel normal in your young one’s mouth cavity. They have an advanced design that releases air allowing the nipple to remain soft, squishy, and keep its shape used.
These orthodontic baby pacifiers will exercise the tongue, palate, and jaw, encouraging correct teeth development. The pacifier’s shield is heart-shaped, comfortably fitting under the baby’s nose. Not only are they dishwasher safe, but also BPA free. They come two per package. Your baby will sleep, but the design team wasn’t. They feature a selection of sports-themed designs such as football, basketball, baseball, and soccer patterns.
- Cool designs
- Heart-shaped shield promotes easy breathing
- Are affordable
- Reported to fall out repeatedly
- Retains some water after cleaning
- Not big enough for use by a seven month+ baby
8. Natursutten Natural Rubber PacifierBest Organic One-Piece Pacifier
Specially designed for moms and babies who want a wholly natural pacifier, the Natursutten is a one-piece pacifier made from 100% natural liquid rubber milk. It is notably softer than most silicone-based alternatives and is convenient in its design because it prevents the accumulation of dirt and gunk in any nooks and crannies.
The Natursutten is made in Italy and comes in 3 sizes; small (0-6 months), medium (6-12 months), and large (12+ months).
It contains no nitrosamines, BPA, PVC, chemical softeners, phthalates or artificial coloring enhancing its organic credentials.
The pacifier also comes with a larger shield, simulating mother’s breast making it a more comforting experience for baby.
- It has a softer more comforting feel than silicon pacifiers
- One-piece design makes it hard for dirt and gunk to accumulate reducing the possibility of bacterial infections
- Organic BPA and phthalate free constitution gives mothers peace of mind, especially with new-born babies
- The nipple tends to expand with heavy usage over time, so it is recommended to purchase two or more pacifiers to use alternately
9. Philips Wee Thumbie PacifierBest For Premature Babies
This pacifier, modeled on the shape of a fetus’ thumb, is especially good for low birth weight babies or premature babies in NICU.
It is shaped to facilitate sucking reflexes normally learned in utero and is perfect for use with babies who have been born before they reach 30 weeks. It is also perfect for babies who have oral deformities such as cleft palate.
Commonly touted as one of the best baby pacifiers for newborns, the Philips Wee Thumbie has received lots of favorable reviews from medical professionals especially for kids with an easy gag reflex.
- Excellent for use with pre-term and low birth weight babies
- BPA and phthalate free
- Can be used for babies with oral deformities such as cleft palate
- Quite expensive compared to the other normal pacifiers
10. Wubba Nub Infant PacifierBest Fun Toddler Pacifier
This interesting and fun pacifier has a one-piece construction attached to a plush toy that makes it easy for baby to grab onto as they suck.
One of the best pacifiers for teeth in this list, the Wubba Nub is constructed using medical-grade silicone and is BPA, PVC, Latex, and Phthalate free.
However, this pacifier is not recommended for use with newborns or babies entering the teething phase. Baby’s love this part pacifier, part toy contraption helping calm them down when they’re in distress.
- The plush toy makes it interesting for the baby and holds their attention for longer
- Medical grade silicone makes it odorless and tasteless and keeps it durable for longer
- The plush toy attachment can make it difficult to keep clean
How To Choose Best Baby Pacifiers
There are several factors one must look at when considering the best baby pacifiers to buy. The most important factors include:
Some pacifier nipples are made from silicone while others are made from natural rubber. Medical grade silicone will ensure that the nipple will last longer while rubber nipples tend to expand over time as the baby sucks on it. It is important to note this before buying your pacifier of choice.
Babies will outgrow their pacifiers. A pacifier constructed for a newborn may not necessarily work well with a toddler. Pacifiers usually come in sizes for babies at 0 – 6 months of age, 6 – 18 months and 18+ months so you should be aware of the correct size for your child before buying the pacifier.
The pacifier shield is present as a safety feature to stop the baby from sucking the nipple into their mouth hence preventing possible choking. A good size recommended for a shield is in the region of 1.5 inches. However, the shape of the shield is also important. Heart shaped shields with air vents allow for easy circulation of air, helping the baby breathe normally and preventing skin irritation.
One-Piece Construction vs. Detachable Construction
One piece construction is usually favored and endorsed because it prevents dirt from accumulating on the shield and in between the nooks and crannies of the pacifier. With detachable pacifiers, cleaning must be thoroughly done to ensure no dirt is left in the folds and crevices, which can cause the baby to suffer infections.
Do baby pacifiers cause gas?
They do not create gas in infants directly. Gas can only occur if the shield is not the appropriate size for the baby; hence the air is pulled in during the sucking motions or if the silicone or latex plug is torn.
Can the baby swallow the pacifier?
It is possible but very improbable. Any parent or caregiver should check the pacifier before use every single use for signs of structural damage or any visible weaknesses. However, do not reinsert into the mouth when the baby is asleep.
Pacifiers have become important and indispensable in both mothers’ and babies’ lives. They help mothers navigate what can otherwise be a stressful and challenging responsibility.
While we endeavored to lead you to the best baby pacifiers in 2019, there are yet a few other honorable mentions that meet the criteria of one of the best baby pacifiers for babies only that our team didn’t get enough time to review them. These include:
- First Years GumDrop Pacifier
- Tommee Tippee Infant Night Time Pacifier
- FCTRY The Gentleman Mustache Pacifier