For years, human beings have had to go to great lengths to get rid of body hair. From shaving to tweezing to waxing. Yes, we all want to feel a little flawless like Beyoncé, but let’s be realistic; some of these options are a bit short-coming. Shaving the wrong way, for instance, could result in hideous razor bumps. Tweezing is just painfully time-consuming, and we all know just how expensive laser hair removal can be. Well, if you are tired of dealing with all these, you might want to consider an Epilator.
An epilator works a little differently from your typical shaving machine. You see, rather than using blades, epilators usually consist of a rotating wheel that has multiple tweezers attached to it. It is these tweezers that work by pulling out the hair from its root as you move the machine across your skin. You’re probably thinking ‘ouch, that must surely be painful.’ Well, it is, but very little. But hey! As with everything in life, good things don’t come easy.
From the myriads of machines coming up in the market each day, it can be a little tricky choosing an epilator. However, you can rest easy because we’ve done the research for you. Below is our top selection of the best epilators you will find out there.
Top 10 Epilator Reviews 2020
- Top 10 Epilator Reviews 2020
- 1. Philips Beauty HP6401/50 Satinelle Essential
- 2. Braun Facial Epilator for Women, Facespa Pro 910
- 3. Braun Epilator for Women, Silk-epil 7 7-880
- 4. Panasonic Electric Shaver for Women, Cordless 3 Blade Razor
- 5. Emjoi ap-18 Emagine dual opposed 72 tweezer head epilator
- 6. Braun Epilator for Women, Silk-epil 3 3-270
- 7. Panasonic Cordless Shaver & Epilator For Women With 5 Attachments
- 8. Epilator for Women, Hizek Cordless Wet & Dry 4 in 1 Electronic Hair Removal
- 9. E-conoro Epilator for Women, 2 in 1 Hair Removal Epilator
- 10. Braun Epilator for Women, Silk-Epil 5 5-895
- Choosing The Best Epilator – The Ultimate Buying Guide
1. Philips Beauty HP6401/50 Satinelle EssentialBest Electronic Stud Sensor
As its name suggests, the Philips Beauty HP6401/50 Satinelle Essential is two things. It is a beauty and it is a prime essential that any decent human being would be privileged to own. And at just under $30 bucks, you can be one such person. Well, despite its affordable price tag, the device still claims its spot at the top of our list. The device is not only well made, but it also boasts of being efficient enough to remove hairs as tiny as 0.5 millimeters from their roots. And if you are not into all the mathematics, that is about as good as it gets.
The device is corded, meaning you’d have to plug it to a socket for it to operate. It is made intentionally like this, so you get a continuous, uninterrupted use. With this, you are assured of evenness and effectiveness as it picks up more hairs during the first pass. It features 2-speed settings, so you can either use the lower speed on all the delicate hard to reach areas or a higher speed for when you get a little comfortable with it. The epilation head on the Philips is also removable and, therefore, quite easy to clean.
- Efficient in its work (removes really tiny hairs)
- Excellent, beautiful looking design
- Has 2-speed settings for better control
- Users claim that it needs a few swipes o get all the hair
- Is corded and therefore may be a little hard to use in certain areas
- Pretty loud/ pulls on the skin
2. Braun Facial Epilator for Women, Facespa Pro 910Best Magnetic Stud Finder
The Braun Pro 910 is yet another one of a kind unit on our list. It prides itself on being the world-leading 2 in 1 facial epilation device. Because it’s specially designed to work on the face, the unit is exceptionally efficient in getting rid of all the tiny hairs that you may not even see. In fact, it is claimed to remove about 4 times shorter hair as wax. The device is small, compact, and cordless, so you can easily carry it around with you. It is also rechargeable, so you can always charge it from home as soon as it ends.
The Braun comes inclusive of a facial cleansing brush, which you can use to purify and cleanse your skin. The brush is especially useful in getting rid of oil-based foundations. It comes with extra brush heads as well, which are pretty easy to snap on and off. You also get an extra silver cap to keep it secure. Another thing is the device is fully dermatologist tested so it is safe, even on sensitive skin, and you can comfortably use it on the regular.
- Especially efficient on facial hair
- Comes with a cleansing brush
- Easy to use and maintain
- You may have to go over the region multiple times to get rid of the little hairs
- The brush can be a little harsh on your skin; leaving red spots
- Might sting a little as first as the hairs are removed
3. Braun Epilator for Women, Silk-epil 7 7-880Best Digital Multi-Scanner
What makes the Braun Epilator for Women, Silk-epil 7 7-880 different from its predecessor (the Facespa Pro 910), is that this one is a smart epilator. It is made using SensoSmart technology that literally guides your epilation process, telling you whether you are using it right and even where to apply more pressure. The machine is also bigger, which means that other than just small areas like the face, it can cover other areas of your body too. For this, you get up to 7 extras, including a trimmer cap, shaver, skin contact cap, sensitive cap, facial cap, and pouch.
Other than its wide array of caps, the epilator is also easy to use. It is cordless so it can maneuver through those hard to reach areas, plus wet and dry; therefore, you can use it in the shower for a gentler epilation process. With this device, you are guaranteed to remove more hair in one single strike than most other epilators. All this, plus it only needs 1 hr and 50 minutes to reach full charge.
- Has a wide array of caps for different use
- Can work in wet and dry skin
- SensoSmart technology for a more intuitive process
- Not as painless as presumed
- It is a little loud
4. Panasonic Electric Shaver for Women, Cordless 3 Blade RazorBest Professional Stud Finder
The Panasonic Cordless 3 Blade Razor looks more like your typical shaver. The only difference is, the unit brought to you by the tech giant, is much more efficient for close, gentle shaving. The electric shaver manages this using three ultra-sharp blades, coupled with an ultra-thin foil. By following against your body’s contours, it is able to provide a closer, quicker, and more comfortable shave. Additionally, it features a built-in pop-up trimmer with an attachment for better detail.
The electric shaver is wet and dry, so you can use it in and out of the shower. The blades are hypoallergenic and, therefore, good for sensitive skin. With this, you won’t have to worry about irritation when trimming or shaving. The Panasonic is fully rechargeable, whose full charge can support up to 12 hours of peak power shaving.
- Travel friendly and portable
- Has hypoallergenic blades
- Dry and wet option
- Not so goof on super thick hair
- Requires frequent charging or it dies out
- The charging dock is a little small for the machine
5. Emjoi ap-18 Emagine dual opposed 72 tweezer head epilatorBest Electronic Stud Sensor
At first glance, the Emjoi ap-18 epilator just looks like a mean piece of technology. And the 72 tweezers on this baby are here to back that up. This is by far the most number of tweezers you will find in a modern-day epilator, and with it, you’d be equipped enough to remove a majority of the hair sitting on your skin, all while reducing both irritation and the number of passes required. The epilator also has a larger head as part of its design. What this means is that It can cover a much larger surface area than your traditional epilator.
Additionally, the epilator uses its patented glide technology to ensure that the operation is as smooth as possible. It has dual speed controls and is ergonomically designed, so you can hold it for long periods without getting exhausted. The only downside perhaps is that it relies on a cord, which may make it a little challenging to move around.
- the 72 tweezers make its work really efficient
- has a wide head that covers a larger surface area in less time
- has 2-speed control
- can irritate the skin because of the large number of tweezers
- it is not cordless therefore not waterproof
- a little too large for delicate bikini areas
6. Braun Epilator for Women, Silk-epil 3 3-270Best Affordable Magnetic Stud Finder
If you are new to the world of epilators and are trying it for the first time, this would be one of the best places to start. Thanks to its smart light technology, the Braun Epilator for Women, Silk-epil 3 3-270 is made to reveal and remove the finest hairs than other epilators wouldn’t show. The epilator features a 20-tweezer system that works by removing hairs at the root. The machine also incorporates massage rollers that gently massage and stimulates your skin to enhance comfort.
The Silk-epil 3 3-270 comes with three extras, including a trimmer cap, a shaver head, and a massage cap. With its two speed settings, you can be able to select what best suits your personal skin type and individual beauty routine. The Braun is also easy to use; best recommended for use on legs and body. It has a petite size as well; therefore, it will easily fit into your palm for a comfortable glide.
- Petite size allows it to maneuver in hard to reach areas
- Affordable yet as efficient as high priced models
- Has two-speed settings for different use
- Struggles a little on grabbing finer hair
- A little slow
- Has fewer tweezers, so you have to go over an area multiple times
7. Panasonic Cordless Shaver & Epilator For Women With 5 AttachmentsBest Center Finding Stud Finder
Like you’d expect from other Panasonic products, the Panasonic Cordless Shaver is brought to you as a result of fine craftsmanship and years of experience. Because of these, it offers an easier, more efficient way of getting rid of full-body hair in the comfort of your home. The device uses up to 5 attachments to suit your every individual need. They include an epilation head for arms and legs, a sensitive area cap for your underarms, a gentle cap for the delicate areas, and a shaved head with a slide-up trimmer.
The epilators main attachment covers a 1.25-inch area, which makes it able to capture a wider region worth of hair from its root. Inside this head, you’d find rotating double discs and 60 hypoallergenic tweezers. This means any hair that’s not captured by the first disc will be caught by the second one. The shaver is also cordless, and wet and dry so you can use it in the bath. It has a sure grip handle for better control, with three-speed settings to ensure smoother beautiful results. You also get a cleaning brush as well as a storage pouch with the package. The Panasonic is made, so it is relatively easy to operate, catches hairs as short as 0,5 mm and reaches full charge in only 1 ½ hour.
- Can get to hard to reach areas with its 90-degree pivoting epilator head
- Cordless, therefore, allows for wet and dry shaving
- Have up to 5 attachments for different use
- Users complain that the process is painful
- The manual is not as well defined
- The accessories are not well labeled
8. Epilator for Women, Hizek Cordless Wet & Dry 4 in 1 Electronic Hair RemovalBest Professional Stud Finder with Built-in Bubble Level
Having the Hizek Electronic Hair epilator is like having 4 epilators in one comprehensive machine. Not only is it a shaver, but it also comes inclusive of a body exfoliation brush, a body massager, and other attachments that will handle all your skincare needs. Not to mention the beautiful design of this baby. The epilator simply looks gorgeous, featuring a wide head to allow it to grab more hair at a time. Because it is cordless, you can use it in both wet and dry conditions. For this reason, it also has a non-slip handle, positioned intuitively for easy use.
The device only needs 3 hours to reach full charge, after which it supports the use of up to 60 minutes. It is small and ergonomic; therefore, you can carry it with you during all your travels as well. Additionally, its size makes it suitable for use in the whole body, including your hand, leg, armpits, and bikini line. The efficiency on this machine makes so that it keeps your skin smooth for as much as 4 weeks.
- Comes with a 4 in 1 epilator set for you every need
- Good looking, portable design
- Some users complain that it is painful to use, leaving red marks.
- Low power therefore not as efficient
9. E-conoro Epilator for Women, 2 in 1 Hair Removal Epilator
Now, if you are looking for something practical but affordable, then you should definitely consider the E-conoro 2 in 1 epilator. With 30 tweezers on this fine machine, you get the same level of quality you can expect from other high-end units, in that it is able to remove the tiniest hairs of up to 0.5 mm. Like the other top models, the E-conoro has a smart pivoting head in place for a closer touch. The device works great on the face area around the chin and upper lip and is proven to be less painful in its operation than many other models.
The epilator has two-speed settings, plus it can be used on both wet and dry skin. Its head is detachable, so you can wash and maintain it easily. It also features the smart light and floating head design whereby the neck of the device incorporates a floating part which rotates in line with the curve of your body line. With LED lights in place, the E-corono highlights the tiny hairs as you do the shaving.
- Dual speed 2 in 1 functionality
- Has 30 tweezers in the epilating head for more precision
- LED lighting so you won’t miss a single hair
- It only works cordless
- Can be a little painful at first
10. Braun Epilator for Women, Silk-Epil 5 5-895Best Cell Phone Wall Scanner for Studs
Just like the rest of the Braun products on our list, the Braun Silk-Epil 5 5-895 comes highly recommended. This one especially stands out its modern sensor technology, which makes operation virtually painless. It is built for efficiency, so you only need a few swipes to be done with the job. You’ll also love the face scrubber that is also included in the kit. The kit itself includes a separate razor and face brush device that will offer you a nice mini facial experience. They come with three extra heads, which are good for a variety of tasks, including massaging and exfoliation.
Other than the exfoliator, users especially appreciate the razor bit on the Silk-Epil 5 5-895 for its close shave. The device’s heads are easy to change, plus it is wet and dry so you can use it in your shower. With every package, you get a little travel bag, with an extra set of batteries for the face brush, as well as, a little dusting brush to facilitate maintenance.
- You get three extra heads
- The device is cordless
- Good for wet and dry use
- Painful at first
- Hard to get the bristle head off the face brush want at times
Choosing The Best Epilator – The Ultimate Buying Guide
There are quite a number of options you’ll get when looking for an epilator. They come with many different individual features that make them unique in their own way. To ensure you get your investment right, we bring you some of the most important things to consider when it comes to these machines.
Power: Does The Number Of Tweezers Affect Performance?
Tweezers! Sound familiar? You probably thinking about shaping those eye lashes. Well, this is different.
When it comes to power, there are two different factors to consider on an epilator. That is, the number of tweezers it has and the number of speed settings available. In this case, more tweezers would make the machine more effective in the removal process. It will be able to remove more hairs at once and therefore lessen the amount of time you spend there. For best results, it is important that you also check that the layout of the tweezers is also efficient.
Another thing concerning power is ensuring that you have a wide choice of speed settings. With fast and slow options, you get to control the intensity of the process, especially when dealing with sensitive parts where it can be painful.
Caps: For A Wider Range Of Sensations
You’ll find the more comprehensive epilator packages being inclusive of a selection of caps that you can switch or clip on over the head of the tweezers. The caps offer you different sensations, which can be good when dealing with some areas of the body. They spread over your skin more efficiently and may help reduce the size of the area exposed, especially if it is sensitive. With caps, you get to use the epilator with more versatility. You can use it on both your body and face.
Ability to Reduce Pain
It is no secret that the process of using an epilator is bound to have some level of pain. This comes about since; the machine doesn’t cut the hair like a shaver blade but rather uproots it from the root. However, some epilators have specific tweaks that make the process a little more bearable. For example, you are recommended to pick a model that is ‘wet and dry.’ What this means is you can expose it to water, either in the bath or shower. The warm water will, in turn, help relax the process. It will also relax your skin pores, so the hairs come out more smoothly.
Additionally, you should check that the epilator has a sensitive area cap, which is specially designed to reduce the pain and discomfort. We highly recommend this if you are using the machine for the first time.
Light: So You Won’t Miss A Single Hair Follicle!
Just like nail dryers and lamps, some Epilators will feature an LED light as part of their design. In our opinion, this can be equally as important because the light, if well-positioned, will help illuminate the tiny and fine hairs on your body as you operate. This, in turn, makes it easier to identify areas you may have missed. A smart light is what guarantees you have an even shaving experience, so you don’t have to go over it again.
Corded or Cordless: Which is the Better Alternative?
This is basically what determines whether your epilator will be ‘wet and dry’ or just dry. Here, it can only be wet and dry (usable in the shower), if it is a cordless model. Cordless models are also more preferable because they give you more freedom of movement and flexibility. You should check that it has enough battery life to last the entirety of the process.
Corded epilators, on the other hand, have the advantage of always being ready for use. You can use them uninterruptedly without them running out of juice. The downside is you cannot use them with water or have as much freedom of movement. Therefore, if you are considering a corded one, you should ensure that the cord is as long as possible.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Using an Epilator
So, you may be wondering, is an epilator really worth it? Or would you rather just stick with the good old shaver. Well, here are a couple of reasons why an epilator is the better alternative.
- Will guarantee you weeks of smooth, hairless skin
- Little ongoing costs
- They are compact and travel friendly
- They don’t leave a lot of mess
- Plucks off really tiny hairs; as short as 0.5 mm (even more efficient than waxing)
- They are suitable for use on all hair types
- They will include extra features in their kits, like exfoliators, cleaning brushes and exfoliators
There are also a few downsides you should expect, including:
- Use may cause ingrown hairs
- They have higher upfront costs than shaving machines
- You may experience some level of discomfort, although it will reduce overtime
- Not ideal for men’s facial hair
If you are in the market for a nice all-around epilator, then you’ll definitely find one on our list. However, it is important to note that you stand to gain the most from the higher-end models. They have an overall better build quality and offer a broader range of features. Other than that, you should also consider what you intend to use it for. Some are specifically designed to handle delicate regions like the face and bikini areas while others are larger and better suited for the body.
We hope that our comprehensive review will bring you a step closer to achieving smoother, healthier skin. And we almost guarantee that once you go epilator, you will never go back.