Is your hair getting you down? It might be time to get yourself a new hairdryer. Of course, buying a hair dryer is never going to be a simple transaction. There’s a whole range of hair dryers that you can choose from. Unfortunately, not all of them are going to give you salon-beautiful hair.
In fact, choosing the wrong one just might give you the frizz, static, and heat damage you’re trying to get rid of… not to mention the aching arms you’ll get just trying to get a decent result. Fortunately for you, we know how important it is that every day be a good hair day. That’s why we’ve gathered all the data of the best hair dryers you need to make the right choice when it comes to this tool of beauty.
Top 12 Hair Dryers Of 2019 Reviewed
- Top 12 Hair Dryers Of 2019 Reviewed
- 1. Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer
- 2. Harry Josh Pro Tools Pro Dryer 2000
- 3. Ghd Air Hairdryer
- 4. Drybar Buttercup Blow Dryer
- 5. RUSK Engineering W8less Professional 1875 Watt Dryer
- 6. Panasonic EH-NA65-K Nanoe Hair Dryer
- 7. DevaCurl Dryer & Devafuser
- 8. Conair Infiniti Pro Salon Performance Dryer
- 9. BaByliss Pro Nano Titanium Portofino Dryer
- 10. T3 Featherweight Dryer Luxe 2i
- 11. Bio Ionic 10X Ultralight Speed Dryer
- 12. Elchim 3900 Ionic Dryer
- How To Choose The Best Hair Dryer – Buying Guide
1. Dyson Supersonic Hair DryerHair Dryer for Salon Hair
Yes, we placed the much talked about Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer at the top spot because it deserves it. It was awarded the Best of Beauty Breakthrough in 2016 for a reason. It utilizes a small (and light) motor to produce powerful, directed airflow which equates to faster drying time and less heat damage. And that’s not the only techie thing in this beauty tool. The Supersonic also has a microprocessor that keeps track of the heat to ensure that the temperature remains consistent. It really is the Tesla of hair dryers. And it’s got the price tag to prove it.
- Faster drying time
- Even weight distribution (motor is in the handle)
- Magnetic attachments that easily snap into place
- Not as quiet as expected
2. Harry Josh Pro Tools Pro Dryer 2000Hair Dryer for All Hair Types
Considered the Holy Grail of hair dryers, the Harry Josh Pro Tools Dryer 2000 is a favorite among salon professionals, beauty editors, and consumers despite it’s very expensive price. Incredibly fast with multiple features – several heat and speed settings – that can style all hair types with ease.
- Option to use ionic and nonionic heat
- Environmentally friendly/ energy efficient
- Can get really hot
- A bit heavier than other dryers in this price range
3. Ghd Air HairdryerHair Dryer for Thick Hair
If you have thick hair, then you know how much a pain it can be to blow dry your hair. Not only will your arms end up aching but you run the danger of damaging your hair due to a really long dry-time. Fortunately, the Ghd Air is powerful enough that you cut drying time in half and its advanced ionic technology ensures that your hair retains moisture much longer. This means that you get frizz-free salon-level hair at home.
- Frizz-free hair that has a smooth and shiny finish
- Incredibly quiet when using the low and mid settings
- Faster drying time
- Nozzle can get extremely hot
- The controls are (oddly enough) placed on the back of the handle where your palm usually is
4. Drybar Buttercup Blow DryerHair Dryer for Styling
If you love getting a blowout from Drybar, then you’ll definitely love this hair dryer. The Drybar Buttercup is the professional hair dryer used in this styling salon to make magic happen. If you want salon results in the comfort of your own home, then this is definitely the hair dryer for you.
- Comes with narrow nozzle attachments to suit thick and thin hair types
- Professional results
- Not everyone adores the bright yellow color
- Some customers have complained about its durability
5. RUSK Engineering W8less Professional 1875 Watt Dryer
Most of the highest-rated hair dryers are the ones that break the bank. Just check out the ones we’ve listed so far. Fortunately for those of us who just can’t justify the splurge, there are still a few that are capable enough of performing at par with the expensive ones without burning a large hole in your pocket – just a small one. The RUSK is lightweight (less than 1 pound!!!) yet it houses a 1875-watt motor that produces serious heat and airflow. Along with several heat and speed settings, this is definitely a great bang for your buck.
- Really lightweight
- Removable rear filter for cleaning
- Ceramic and tourmaline infused
- Attachments keep falling off or turning around (loose)
- Highest settings can be “too much” for some users
- Toggle switches can be accidentally pressed when handling the dryer
6. Panasonic EH-NA65-K Nanoe Hair DryerHair Dryer to Protect Hair
Another “bargain-priced” dryer for those with a limited budget. While this is not drugstore material (and price), it’s still a great deal cheaper compared to others on our list. What else makes it stand out? Well, it’s the only one that uses Nanoe heating technology. What’s that? Well, to put it simply, it gets moisture from the air and your hair to create small particles that are infused into your hair, resulting in shiny, smooth, healthy hair. In short, you get 1000 times more moisture in your hair by using a hair dryer… yes, it is ironic but in a really good way.
- One of the quietest hair dryers
- Nanoe heating technology
- Comes with three different attachments
- Burnt plastic smell on the first few uses
- No other color options
7. DevaCurl Dryer & DevafuserHair Dryer for Curly Hair
Curly girls, rejoice! The DevaCurl Dryer & Devafuser is the answer to all your prayers. Not only will this dryer + diffuser combo ensure your hair dries faster all the way down to your roots, it’ll also add lift and volume to your tresses.
- Hand-shaped diffuser delivers 360-degree airflow to your curls
- Has a cool air temp option in addition to the cool shot button
- Slightly expensive
- Devafuser doesn’t fit most other hair dryers
- More suitable to really curly hair than for slightly wavy to wavy hair
8. Conair Infiniti Pro Salon Performance DryerHair Dryer on a Budget
So it’s a drugstore dryer. That fact doesn’t matter. What matters is for under $30, you can get an ionic hair dryer that has an AC motor, several heat and speed settings, a cold shot button, 2 attachments, and a limited 4-year warranty.
- Powerful motor
- The twist folding handle doesn’t fold for some users
9. BaByliss Pro Nano Titanium Portofino DryerHair Dryer for the Money
This Hair Dryer from BaByliss balances features and performance with price. For less than $150, you get an ionic hair dryer that uses “nano titanium” technology (for even heat distribution) and comes with four attachments, a removable rear filter, and six speed and heat settings. You also get a 4-year warranty.
- Comfortable handle
- Powerful airflow
- Comes with 4 attachments
- Slower drying time compared to other hair dryers listed
- Relatively heavy
- May not work as well with thick, stubborn hair
10. T3 Featherweight Dryer Luxe 2iHair Dryer for Quick Drying
Hairstylist Jen Atkin, who can boast a client list that includes several of the Kardashians, Jessica Alba, and Katy Perry, is a fan of the T3 Featherweight Dryer Luxe 2i. And now, we are too. This amazing hairdryer can get your hair dry within minutes. It’s so fast that, according to a cosmetic chemist, using this dryer is better for the health of your hair than air-drying it. How many hair dryers can claim that?
- Ridiculously fast
- Really gets rid of the frizz
- Not ergonomic; buttons are easily pushed when gripping the handle while blow drying hair
- Back of the hair dryer has no guard which means it can potentially suck in your hair and rip it out
11. Bio Ionic 10X Ultralight Speed DryerHair Dryer for Dry Frizzy Hair
There’s a reason why this hair dryer is known as “The Flash.” No matter what kind of hair you have, the manufacturer guarantees that it’ll be dry in less than 10 minutes with the Bio Ionic 10x Ultralight Speed Dryer. We guess the name does say it all. Anyway, aside from being ultrafast, this hair dryer is also ultra eco-friendly. It has a patented EcoDrive motor that uses 75% less energy compared to other hair dryers and produces Zero EMF, Zero Ozone, and Zero carbon micro-particle emissions. Not only that, you get a self-locking cool shot button!
- Lightweight (under a pound)
- 10-year motor warranty
- Only has one switch for controlling speed and heat settings
- Not for all hair types such as fine hair or those sensitive to heat
12. Elchim 3900 Ionic DryerHair Dryer for Fine Hair
This ionic ceramic hair dryer uses far-infrared heat that is supposed to dry your hair from the inside out. The Elchim 3900 comes with several speed and heat settings plus a cold air shot button (doesn’t lock), a built-in silencer, and an electromagnetic wave protection system for decreasing EMF emission. Best of all, it helps retain the moisture in your hair by closing the cuticles. This means that it can eliminate static electricity and create shiny, smoother hair.
- Ergonomic handle (textured anti-slip grip)
- Lifetime warranty
- Attachments fall off due to powerful airflow
- Not for thick or curly hair (doesn’t heat up enough)
While these are our top picks, there are still several that have caught our eye that we just didn’t have time to review. You might want to check them out too: Revlon Perfect Heat, John Frieda Full Volume, Supersolano Professional, Toni & Guy Daily Conditioning Hair Dryer, and Hot Tools Professional.
How To Choose The Best Hair Dryer – Buying Guide
Who would have ever thought that buying a hairdryer could be so difficult? There are so many terms used to describe the products being sold today: ceramic, ionic, tourmaline, nanoe technology, far infrared heat, etc. Surveying the dizzying array of choices and descriptions can make you want to pull out your hair. It might be easier. Fortunately for you, we’ve made a cheat sheet that you can use to choose the hair dryer that will give you a blowout that will blow your mind.
What is Heating Technology? The Short Definition
There are different heating technologies that are used in hair dryers today. Some use only one kind while others use a combination of two or more. Before we get started on our tips though, let’s get these definitions out of the way:
- Ionic: makes use of negative ions to break down water particles in your hair which causes it to evaporate faster, lessening your drying time. The negative ions also work to close the cuticle which creates shiny, sleek hair.
- Tourmaline: a rare and pricey gemstone that is used to cover the heating element because it gives off negative ions when heated. FYI, the presence of this mineral in a hair dryer can cause its price to skyrocket.
- Ceramic: made out of clay, this heating technology ensures even heat distribution and emits far infrared heat which is believed to dry hair “from the inside out” due to its longer energy wavelengths.
Now, let’s get to the guide. There are several factors that you should consider if you want to find the best hair dryer for you. We’ve listed down each one so you can make your informed choice.
What is the best hair dryer for your hair type?
While there are certainly a number of hair dryers that can produce salon-level results on any type of hair, certain hair types do fare better with certain hair dryers. You need to be realistic about what type of hair you have. Is it curly, thick, thin, straight, wavy, coarse, oily, normal, dry? High heat is better for thick hair or curly hair that is hard to straighten such as the Ghd Air Hairdryer. Thin or fine hair won’t be able to handle high heat without getting damaged so it’s best to opt for lower heat settings. The Elchim 3900 Ionic Dryer is a good hair dryer for fine/thin hair.
How drying time аffects your hair?
The longer your hair is exposed to heat, the higher the risk of damaging it. The best hair dryers should be able to speed up your drying time without frying your hair. According to most experts, a motor with 1800 to 2000 watts is powerful enough to ensure you don’t spend hours styling your hair. One hair dryer that has this kind of power is the RUSK Engineering W8less Professional 2000 Watt Dryer.
Everything you should know about hair dryer settings
All dryers come with heat settings (at least two). In low-cost hair dryers, speed settings are often dependent on heat settings. For example, you get high fan speed when you turn on high heat and you get low fan speed when you switch to low heat. Really good hair dryers like the BaByliss Pro Nano Titanium Portofino Dryer have heat and speed settings independent of each other allowing you more versatility in styling your hair.
Most hair dryers (excluding the really cheap ones) have a cool shot button that allows you to blast your hair with cool air to seal the cuticle for shiny hair that lasts long. This is also a great way to ensure your curls don’t go limp right away. If you need to use this feature far longer than just short blasts, you might want to consider getting a cool shot button that locks so you don’t have to keep pressing it while blowing cool air in your hair. Only a few hair dryers have this feature including the Bio Ionic 10X Ultralight Speed Dryer.
The optimal weight of hair dryers
2 pounds may not seem much at first but the longer you spend angling it around your head, the heavier it becomes until you feel like your arms will fall off. If you’re going to be holding a hair dryer over your head for some time, the lighter it is, the better it will be for your arms.
One more thing to consider about weight is a balance. The distribution of the weight can affect how your arms will fare while you wield your beauty tool. Is the blower part too heavy for the handle? That could be a problem. People with long hair and/or stubborn hair will have to seriously consider how much upper body strength they have. They’re bound to be using the hair dryer for longer periods of time.
What is the effect of the noise?
Obviously, a hairdryer is never going to be whisper quiet. But there are several hair dryers that are much quieter than others. Generally, those found on the lower end of the price spectrum tend to be louder while those that are more powerful (and therefore expensive). You have to consider who else will get bothered whenever you turn your hair dryer on – is it your partner, your roommates, your pet, your neighbor? The quietest hair dryers we have on our list are the Ghd Air Hairdryer and the Panasonic EH-NA65-K Nanoe Hair Dryer.
All of these factors we’ve mentioned are incredibly important when it comes to finding the best hair dryer for you. But above all else, you should always keep this in mind: when it comes to hair dryers, you get what you pay for. Quality hair starts with quality tools.