Weather forecasting and reporting are one of the most important elements in many lines of work for proper planning and preparation. Whether it’s a captain of a big ship or a pilot of a jumbo plane, nothing can proceed without a proper and accurate weather report. In your home, you need to keep track of various weather aspects with the best home weather stations to keep your family and household safe from any harsh weather that may cause damage.
To do so, it’s necessary to keep tabs of the indoor and outdoor temperature, know the amount of humidity and pressure in the atmosphere and even the amount of precipitation around your area. Keeping track of all things calls for investing in a quality and reliable home weather station. With the onset of smartphones and sophisticated weather apps, monitoring the weather has become quite simple. However, these apps use data from best home weather stations that are miles away from your home and may have significant inaccuracy. To counter this, you need a home weather station.
Best home weather stations have become sophisticated over time and allow you to monitor so many elements such as temperature, relative humidity, wind direction and many more from the comfort of your home. Shopping for a home weather station is no easy fit but can be done with a few tips and guidelines. In here, we have brought you a comprehensive review of the best home weather stations that will provide you with accurate weather reports. Let’s explore.
Top 10 Home Weather Stations of 2020 Reviewed
1. Ambient Weather WS-2902ABest Smart Weather Station
Adding the Ambient Weather WS-2902A will allow you to easily monitor various weather elements in your backyard through an easy to read LCD color display. Its Osprey color display console allows two types of wireless connectivity; the sensor array that connects through regular frequency and the console that connects to a router at a frequency of 2.4 GHz. Through this wireless connectivity, you can conveniently monitor the weather remotely from any corner of your home or even when at work. Better yet, you can get all the alerts on your phone or laptop.
This smart weather station allows monitoring of indoor and outdoor temperatures, wind speed and direction, rainfall, UV, solar radiation, barometric pressure, humidity, dew point and even has a heat index. On recording the data, the gadget can be wired to send you an email or text alert with the weather report. It also features dials and graphs which can be downloaded to your computer for further analysis.
So smart is this weather station that you can connect its sensors to IFTTT which allows you to remotely control devices like blinds and lights in your house. It’s also compatible with Alexa, Restful and Real-time APIs. Its components include a wind vane, wind speed cups, thermo-hygrometer, rain gauge, and solar collector.
- Comprehensive weather coverage
- Smart connection and control of numerous devices
- User-friendly LCD display
- Doesn’t have instructions for maintenance
- Requires uninterrupted WIFI connection
- May have a poor signal in some areas
2. La Crosse Technology 308-1414BBest Digital Color Weather Station
La Crosse Technology is a brand committed to quality, accuracy and functional home use appliances. These values are evident in the 308-1414B Digital Color Weather Station with a colorful LCD display with weather icons that are easy to read and graphics to enhance your user experience. Daylight savings automatically update with the atomic self-setting timer. It also features wireless transmission that covers 300m from the outdoor sensor in an open space.
The fancy weather station transmits a number of weather elements such as indoor and outdoor temperature as well as humidity. It will also indicate the humidity, dew points, and heat index. It will also keep a record of the maximum and minimum values for a given period of time. The gadget can be mounted on a wall or placed on a base stand. Uses Lithium or alkaline batteries.
- Easy to read with colorful display buttons
- Accurate atomic clock for daylight savings
- Wireless transmission
- Doesn’t include batteries
- Backlight affects indoor temperature readings
- Records a limited number of weather elements
3. X-Sense Wireless Weather StationBest Wireless Range
Designed with a capacity for 3 outdoor sensors, this sturdily built weather station has wide coverage with a wireless range of 500 feet. Its advanced Sensirion temperature and humidity sensor are highly accurate. The functional weather forecast feature can predict barometric pressure reliably for the next 12-24 hours with an accuracy of 70-75%. It also displays five icons for sunny, cloudy, rainy, snowy and stormy.
Better yet, the weather station has user-friendly alerts that let you know when the humidity and temperature approach danger zones. The outdoor sensor is built to be weather and waterproof hence can withstand extreme weather such as snow and rain. The sensor also has an IPX5 waterproof standard which is among the best in the market. It also has a radio controlled clock with a precision alarm that automatically updates the time. The package includes an adapter cable, 5 AAA batteries, a wall mount and screws among others.
- Ultra-long wireless range
- User-friendly alerts
- Radio controlled clock
- Temperature sensor takes time to update
- May not include a user manual
- Battery power may not work for some functions
4. AcuRite 01024M Pro Weather StationBest 5 In 1 Weather Station
With an inbuilt lightning detector, this sophisticated weather station will keep you updated on all the critical weather activities around your home or enterprise. The HD weather station display will provide you with all the necessary information that you need to plan your day. The weather elements displayed include dew point, rainfall, humidity, wind speed among others. Better yet, it has a programmable alarm that allows you to set it to trigger once certain weather conditions exceed your preferred range.
For accuracy, the weather station uses a prediction algorithm to update you with the most accurate readings. The station also records hourly graphs and provides a review of what has been happening in the past six hours. It also has a wireless sensor that transmits data remotely every 18 to 36 seconds. The gadget’s digital clock updates automatically for daylight savings and also comes with an alarm clock. To improve data accuracy, it allows for calibration of various elements such as humidity and rainfall. It also has a 5 in 1 weather sensor that has an inbuilt fan that helps regulate indoor temperatures.
- Inbuilt lightning detector
- Has prediction algorithm to improve accuracy
- Allows for calibration
- No integrated internet connectivity
- No backup battery
- The screen button may fail over time
5. AcuRite 01540M 5-in-1 Weather StationBest Weather Station For Weather Underground
One of the most popular and best home weather stations available in the market today is the Acurite 5-in-1 Weather Station. Its keep feature is the wireless connectivity to Weather Underground which is a weather sharing network that allows you to share weather data with neighbors and loved ones. The 5-in-1 outdoor sensor accurately tracks specific weather variables such as humidity, outdoor temperature, rainfall and barometric pressure.
The illuminated weather display has three different light settings that allow you to take readings conveniently. To check the readings during the day, you can manually select a lighting mode and for night reading you can make use of the auto dim mode that automatically adjusts to the amount of light available. The weather station is easy to install and comes with a one year warranty.
- Connectivity to Weather Underground
- 5-in-1 sensor for accuracy
- Three lighting modes
- WIFI connectivity is wanting
- Doesn’t give forecasts for temperatures
- Its stand is a bit flimsy
6. Wittime 2070 Weather StationBest Interactive Weather Station
Built for an ultimate user-friendly experience, this weather station boasts of three parallel screens that are symmetrical and balanced with green and blue colors that allow you to easily take the readings. The 5 touch buttons are highly sensitive and quickly respond to your commands and are easily visible through an adjustable backlight that can switch between HI, LOW or OFF. The weather station is also equipped with a smart sensor system that accurately transmits within a range of 262 feet.
Weather forecasting is an important element in a weather station and this gadget can accurately predict barometric pressure in the coming 12 hours. It also comes with three useful indices; mold index, heat index and dew index which are useful when seasons are changing. The weather station comes in a horizontal or vertical display style. It also has dual alarms with a snooze button. However, the gadget doesn’t have a radio controlled clock which implies that you have to manually set the date and time.
- Highly sensitive touch buttons
- Accurate weather forecasting function
- Smart sensor with a wide range
- No radio controlled the clock
- May take time to set up
- Outdoor sensor and display often lose synchrony
7. GBlife Wireless Weather Forecast Station
Let’s move on this all in one weather station that records indoor and outdoor temperature, temperature, humidity, barometric pressure and moon phase. It comes with a sensor that has a transmission range of 200 feet in an area that has no obstructions. The 5’8 inch LCD screen is full color and easy to read with large numbers and 5 brightness settings for different times of the day. It also displays the weather forecast for the next 12 hours using 6 different icons such as sunny, cloudy, rainy, heavy rain and many more.
The weather station has an advanced sensor that accurately measures various weather elements. The moon phase display automatically shows you the current lunar moon for those that love observing the moon. It also calculates the comfort level for indoor temperatures. When the gadget is plugged in, you can easily charge your phone or laptop using the USB charging port. It also has a two-way power supply where you can use 2 batteries or a power adapter.
- Large LCD color display
- Has moon phase display
- Comes with a USB charging port
- Not waterproof
- Can’t withstand direct sunlight
- The screen has a narrow field of vision
8. Ambient Weather WS-2000Best Mobile Friendly Weather Station
Easily monitor weather data across various platforms using this weather friendly gadget that lets you to quickly view the reports using an animated expandable module. The HD TFT screen allows you to read different weather items such as Wind Chill and Heat index, dew point and wind speed/direction. All these elements are averaged and updated every sixteen seconds. The weather station can also support up to 8 thermo-hygrometer sensors using a WH31 that’s sold separately.
This mobile-friendly weather station allows you to connect to the internet using WI-FI by pressing the user-friendly interactive buttons. The elegantly designed desktop display is wall mountable and has different brightness settings that are activated to suit the time of day. You can also connect it to IFTTT so that you can control other devices such as blinds and lights. It’s also compatible with Alexa and works well with Google Assistant.
- Large TFT screen with a good display
- User-friendly and interactive weather reporting
- Compatible with numerous platforms
- Screen resolution needs improvement
- Little information given about features
- Outside connectivity is often disrupted
9. Davis Instruments 6153 Vantage Pro2
Davis Instruments is a reputable brand in weather monitoring and forecasting circles due to their functional and accurate gadgets. Their Vantage Pro2 is a wireless weather station with a customizable weather suite that gives you weather updates every 2.5 seconds. You can add some personal touch to this dynamic weather station by connecting to special purpose stations and accessories for an enhanced weather monitoring experience.
It boasts of a wide range of sensors that measure rainfall, temperature, humidity, wind speed and direction. You can also add sensors for UV and solar radiation measurement. Its sturdy construction is designed to withstand direct sunlight and strong winds with speeds of up to 200Mph. The sensors are also shielded by a 24-hour solar-powered fan. The package also includes mounting hardware for easy assembly and a console with a backlit LCD screen.
- Fast weather updates
- Sturdy construction resistant to harsh weather elements
- Comes with a solar powered fan
- The software needs further development
- Replacement parts are often unavailable
- The console has poor weather graphics
10. La Crosse Technology S88907
If you are looking for a simple yet functional weather station then the La Crosse Technology S88907 Vertical Forecast Station is a great addition to your home. It allows you to conveniently monitor indoor and outdoor temperature, humidity and barometric pressure. It also gives you alerts when temperature changes and has a wireless control system. Automatic daylight savings are also possible through the self-setting timer. You can also power the control panel using the included AC adapter or 3 AAA alkaline batteries that are bought separately.
- Temperatures alerts
- Self-setting timer for automatic daylight savings
- Wireless control system
- Limited weather activity display
- Too dim during the day
- Faceplate smudges easily
How to Choose the Best Home Weather Stations: The Ultimate Buying Guide
Planning for the weather is a crucial part of your day. Due to advancement in technology, you can now receive weather updates on your phone or laptop using weather apps and other reporting tools. However, this data is often inaccurate since it has been gathered from the weather station quite a distance from your area. For more accurate weather report, it’s advisable to have a home weather station.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Home Weather Station
- Weather Variables – To accurately predict the weather, a number of variables are considered. A functional weather station should accurately collect a number of these variables such as rainfall, humidity, wind speed & direction, temperature, and solar radiation. Ensure that your choice can effectively pick up a number if not all of these variables.
- Cabled or Wireless – Best home weather stations with wireless connectivity have risen in popularity due to the convenience they bring to weather reporting and forecasting. They have higher flexibility and use sensors to collect data from a wider range. However, they are often prone to signal interruption which is not the case with cabled weather stations.
- Power Supply – Often, you will find that best home weather stations are powered using an AC adapter or batteries. Some allow you to use solar energy which is helpful in remote areas.
Investing in a quality home weather station will help you monitor and stay updated on all weather elements around your home, office or business premises. We hope that this review has shed light on the best home weather stations available in the market that will help you plan your day accordingly.