So, you are looking at your patio at night and realize that it’s lifeless — there’s total darkness, and your backyard lamp doesn’t do much to provide the much-needed illumination. A patio is where all the fun should happen; you know — the family gatherings, birthday parties, and catch-ups with friends over some drinks. To breathe some life into it, you need to invest in outdoor patio string lights.
Patio string lights can brighten up your porch as you enjoy a glass of wine with your better half, family or friends. These lights are versatile and can be used in a wide range of events — from weddings and dances to outdoor meals as you relax at your patio.
The problem with these lights comes when you decide to shop for the perfect options for your patio. There are outdoor lights with bug bulbs that provide more light to your patio; there are smaller LED lights that provide shine with different colors, and then there are the solar versions that save your electricity bill. To save you from the hassles of choosing the right one, we have researched some of the best patio string lights you can use today and give life to your home. Out buying guide also provides some insightful points to help you make a more informed decision.
Top 12 Patio String Lights of 2019 Reviewed
- Top 12 Patio String Lights of 2019 Reviewed
- Best LED Outdoor Patio String Lights
- Best Outdoor Solar String Lights
- How to Choose The Best Patio String Lights – The Ultimate Buying Guide
1. Outdoor Lighting Store 50ft Black String LightsBest Waterproof Indoor Outdoor String Lights
Outdoor patio light strings should of necessity be durable. They should have the ability to withstand harsh temperatures, wind, and rain. But not all outdoor patio string lights are designed to do that. The Outdoor Lighting Store 50ft Black String Lights are both durable and beautiful too. Thus, they are able to withstand the ravages of the weather while making your patio to look beautiful. They are basically globe-style lights which look great in your space.
Every strand comes with a 50-foot cable. On the cable are 60 incandescent bulbs sitting at intervals of 12 inches. As such, the string can cover a large area to provide you with enough lighting. If you have visitors coming to your home, having these lights in place is likely to leave a lasting impression on them. To have the lights come to life or go out at a particular time, you may attach a timer or dimmer. That way, you do not have to be around to switch the lights on or off.
When you buy these lights, all the bulbs will come to you intact. As an addition, you will get an extra 10 lights. This is to ensure that you are able to replace any faulty lights. Setting up these lights is quick and easy. You do not have to be a trained and experienced electrician. The lights come with a detailed guide, a spare fuse, and 100 zip ties. Just everything you need to set them up successfully.
- Made to withstand the ravages of the weather
- The cable is 50 feet long
- Comes with extra 10 lights
- Reports of bulbs burning up quickly
- Reports of bulbs breaking up during the hanging process
- Comes with small bulbs
2. Lemontec String Lights, 25ft Vintage Backyard Patio LightsBest Vintage Backyard Patio Lights
Are you hosting a joyful occasion on your patio? If so, then the Lemontec String Lights are a must. You can use these lights during dinner parties, gatherings, tents, as well as weddings. But the occasions do not have to be in the outdoors. The lights are great even for the indoors. The good thing is that these lights are extremely easy to use. They come with an E12 candelabra socket base, capable of connecting up to 2.5 strings.
One of the most attractive features of the lights is the fact that the strands have a reliable end-to-end connection. With that, you can connect a series of up to three strands if you have a large area to cover. So instead of a 25 feet single string, you can multiply the length to 75 feet for larger areas. Each string comes with 25 G40 bulbs connected from end to end. The internal between each successive bulbs is 12 inches.
Basically, the bulbs require 110V power supply. They will not consume too much energy, given that they are a 5-watt affair. When you have a special occasion, pull out the lights and connect them to an electrical outlet. Just like that, you will get the lights up and running.
- Comes with 5-watt bulbs
- Has an end-to-end connection for connecting series
- Comes with a 1-year warranty
- May fail to withstand harsh weather
- The string is too thin for outdoor use
- A whole string will blow up when one light blows up
3. Lampat String Lights, Lampat 25ft G40 Globe String LightsBest Globe Outdoor String Lights
Outdoor string lights are not created the same. While some display a sense of elegance in their simplicity, others don’t. The Lampat Globe String Lights are great for decorating venues for birthdays, weddings, and celebrations such as anniversaries. Each string stretches for 25 feet and has a maximum of 25 G40 bulbs spaced at an interval of 12 inches. So as to cover large areas, the strings come with a convenient end-to-end connection. As such, you will find a 6-inch male plug on one end and a 6-inch female connector on the other.
Even though interconnected, the bulbs hardly influence the working of the others. Essentially, each bulb stands on its own. Breakage in one doesn’t mean the others will fail to work. All you will need to do it to replace the burnt-out bulb without tempering with the rest.
Great for use in the outdoors as well as the indoors, the lights work well on pool umbrellas, parties, patios, backyards, bistro, tents, and decks. The design is elegant and classic at the same time. Definitely, they are among the best string lights out there. With a weight of just 1.25 pounds, the lights are lightweight and easy to suspend in the space you intend to use them.
- The bulbs can be connected from end-to-end
- Burnt-out bulbs are easy to replace
- A classic, elegant looking set of lights
- Provides only one color of light
- The brightness level is only one
- Bulbs may burn out without warning
4. String Light Company SL4815BLUE Vintage Series 48-Ft String LightsBest Vintage String Lights
To decorate your patio in a better way, you may have to adopt the vintage look. Going retro doesn’t mean you are backward. Rather, it shows that you appreciate the finest things in life. The String Light Company SL4815BLUE Vintage String Lights will provide you with an out-of-the-world look that even your visitors will appreciate. It doesn’t matter if you are using the lights at a party, wedding, birthday, or anniversary. The lights are designed to dazzle and leave your visitors awe-struck.
The cord itself is 48 feet long and 16-gauge in thickness. It has a maximum of 15 lights at 3-foot intervals. Since the whole setup is weatherproof, it is perfect for outdoor use. As for the bulbs, they are cobalt in nature and emit soft blue lights. The bulbs utilize only 11 watts of power, which makes them very economical.
End-to-end, the strings come with rubber sockets for use in houses with suspended sockets. The handing loops make it extremely easy to install the bulbs. With a weight of only 7.75 pounds, these lights are light enough to suspend around your home or patio.
- Gives your patio and other spaces a vintage look
- Energy-efficient 11-watt bulbs
- Attractive blue light
- The cord looks soft and cheaply made
- Reports of bulbs arriving broken
- Reports of poor customer service
Best LED Outdoor Patio String Lights
5. TaoTronics 33ft 100 LED String Lights TT-SL036 Dimmable Remote ControlBest Dimmable LED String Lights
Are you looking for a set of string lights to set up the venue for your Christmas party? The TaoTronics LED String Lights TT-SL036 not only provides a strong enough illumination but also provides the perfect decoration for the festivities. In fact, the lights are bright enough to light up the dark corners of your patio. Not only do they make people feel welcome to the party, but they also create a feeling of romance.
The good thing with these lights is that you can dim them via remote control. The brightness is adjustable to a maximum of 10 levels. That means you have the freedom to choose the level of brightness for your party. Also, you can adjust among the different modes including strobe, smooth or flash options. By moving from one mode to another, you will be able to make room for an infinitely vibrant part setting.
Another attractive thing about these string lights is that they are weatherproof. You can use them in the outdoors without worrying about the effects of the elements on them. They produce a warm white-yellow light which is both joyful and warm. Accompanying the lights is a low-profile power adapter that is easy to conceal.
- Allows for adjustment to a maximum of 10 brightness levels
- Features an insulated copper wire
- An easy-to-conceal low-profile power adapter
- To use the remote, you have to be in a direct line of sight
- Reports of the light not being as yellow as expected
- The fade functions don’t seem to work well
6. GE String, Long 100 Count Indoor/Outdoor Mini Clear White Holiday LightsBest Indoor Outdoor White Holiday Lights
When it comes to decorating special occasions such as birthdays, anniversaries or Christmas parties, it is not enough to have string lights in one color. The monotony created by the single color removes excitement from the whole thing. That’s why you need to but a box of GE String multicolored lights. Not only will they illuminate your space but they will also dazzle and entertain your guests. What more can you expect from the elegance that comes with dancing lights?
The package included two boxes, each containing a string of 100 multicolored lights. That means you can use the strings to cover a bigger area than what you would achieve with only one string. In fact, the GE String Lights are designed to be connected end-to-end in sets of 5. That means a single connection would provide you with 500 multicolored lights.
Did you know that you can use these lights both indoors and outdoors? Thus, you don’t have to stick to the outdoors. Why don’t you spread the fun inside the house? Since you get two boxes of lights in one package, buying this product is economical. Try the lights for your home decorations during the festivities.
- You get to packs instead of one
- Multicolored string lights
- Great for use in the indoors and outdoors
- Reports of the lights failing to light without warning
- When one bulb goes out, others will fail
- Attempts to adjust the lights may blow them up
7. Lalapao 2-Pack Solar String Lights 72ft 22m 200 LED LightsBest LED String Lights for Large Patio
If you believe in sustainable sources of energy, these solar-powered string lights are for you. Instead of relying on mains electricity, they use solar power. To charge the battery, expose the solar panel to the sun. When fully charged, the battery can power the lights for a maximum of 8 hours. With these lights, you will save money by avoiding the high costs of energy. Also, you will have the authority to tell people about climate change. If anything, your actions will speak for themselves.
During the day, the battery is automatically charged. As soon as darkness sets in, the lights turn on to illuminate your space. What you will get is a set of IP65 waterproof lights for use indoors and outdoors. Apart from acting as decorations during special occasions, you can use these string lights for soft light in the bedroom. They provide a maximum of 8 light modes ranging from the steady to various levels of flushing.
Once you install these lights, you won’t have to manually switch them on and off. In fact, during the day, the battery automatically starts charging. At night, the lights turn on. Once you have finished using then, you can wrap the string and store until you need them next. The package included a 72-foot string of 200 LED lights. Since they are solar-powered, the lights are durable.
- Eco-friendly solar-powered lights
- Suitable for indoors and outdoors
- Auto on/off switch
- Don’t stick to one mode
- Reports of lights dimming for no apparent reason
- Reports of the controller stop working unexpectedly
8. Koopower LED Indoor String Light with Remote and TimerBest Indoor LED String Lights with Timer
One thing about LED lights is that they can produce a warm cozy glow. If you are looking to give oomph to your party or celebration, these are the lights you need. With the Koopower LED Indoor String Lights, you get up to 200 bulbs on a 69-foot string. That’s long enough to cover a sizeable space in your home. Whether you have a birthday, anniversary, wedding or Christmas party, these lights will work wonders.
The lights come with 8 different modes through which you can adjust the brightness to different levels. You may dim or increase the brightness depending on the kind of decoration you want for your occasion. All that, thanks to the remote control which provides very convenient operation.
Using the timer, you can set the lights to be on for 6 hours and off for 18 hours. Thus, you will not have to remember to switch the lights on or off. When the set time comes, the lights will go on or off as expected. Only that it is important to set the mode you want before switching the timer on. Instead of connecting directly to mains electricity, the lights have a low-voltage adapter. Thus, they are safer to use than other types of string lights.
- A safe low-voltage adapter
- Has an on/off timer
- Works with a remote control
- Not suitable for the outdoors
- Reports of annoying lighting modes
- Reports of a malfunctioning dimmer
Best Outdoor Solar String Lights
9. Lemontec Solar String Lights 20 Feet 30 LED LightsBest Solar String Lights for Large Patios
With simple solar lights, you can easily dazzle and awe visitors to your home during the festivities. Even as you help save the planet, you can use these lights to provide a romantic or festive mood, depending on the occasion. The good thing with these string lights is multi-colored. That simply means that they can complement the other decorations you choose to use.
To reiterate, these are solar-powered lights. During the day, the battery will charge for it to accumulate enough power for use at night. A built-in sensor automatically switches the lights on at night and off as soon as sunlight appears. With these lights, you can say goodbye to high energy bills that come soon after the festivities. The hues provided by these lights can be white, warm white, blue or multi-colored. Basically, the choice of hue is yours.
There is nothing complicated about these lights. It has an on/off and bi-mode button. No need for special training to operate the lights. The string itself is perfect for use in the outdoors. It can perfectly withstand rainy weather, so you don’t have to remove them. The package includes a mounting spike, string of LED lights, and a solar panel.
- Cost-effective solar-powered lights
- Easy to operate
- Provides light in different hues
- Reports of wires falling apart
- Do not work well in stormy weather
- Some lights may fail after mounting
10. Mpow Solar String Lights 33ft 100LED Outdoor String LightsBest Solar Outdoor String Lights
What is the point in having outdoor string lights that easily break down in hot and wet weather? The Mpow Solar String Lights are made to resist water and heat. The string itself is made of IP64 material, which is heat-resistant and waterproof, all at the same time. So, when using these lights in the outdoors, you do not have to worry about them being ravaged by the elements.
The string is 33 feet long and has a total of 100 LED lights. They provide warm light which has the ability to bring excitement to your lawn, gate, porch, yard, garden or patio. You can use them during weddings, anniversaries, and Christmas parties. It works in 8 different modes such as waves, fireflies, combination, twinkle, steady on, and so on. This allows you to choose the light mode you want for your lights. Once you do, the lights will operate in that mode until you decide to change it.
The ultra-thin copper wire is bendable and highly durable. You can tie the string around any shape and store them when they aren’t in use. The solar panel has been upgraded to give you up to 10 hours of light when the battery is fully charged. They come with an auto on/off switch for lighting up at night and switching off during the day.
- The battery can supply the lights with power for up to 10 hours
- The string is heat-resistant and waterproof
- Has eight light modes
- The on/off button is not straightforward
- Lights tend to dim with time
- Some strands may fail for no reason
11. Lalapao 2-Pack Solar String LightsBest 22-Pack Solar String Lights
Are you looking for eco-friendly string lights for the festivities? If so, you need to buy the Lalapao 2-Pack Solar String Lights. Like other solar-powered string lights, these do not require you to connect to mains electricity. So, you won’t have to worry about paying high energy bills after the festivities. When the sun comes up, the solar panel begins to charge the battery. A fully charged battery will power the lights for up to 10 hours during the night.
Did you know that the Lalapao 2-Pack Solar String Lights are suitable for use in the indoors as well as the outdoors? Whether you need them in the patio, garden or yard, the lights will work just fine. The cord itself is made using IP65 material which is both heat-resistant and waterproof. No worries about the lights getting short-circuited during a rainstorm. In the indoor, the lights are great at creating the right bedroom ambiance for a romantic night.
The string measures a total of 72 feet and is packed with 200 LED lights. With just one strand, you can cover a large space. The lights work in up to 8 modes. They are easy to use, given the two switch buttons. If anything, the lights automatically turn on at night day and off during the day. You don’t have to do that yourself.
- Eco-friendly solar-powered lights
- Suitable for indoors and outdoors
- Auto on/off switch
- Don’t stick to one mode
- Reports of lights dimming for no apparent reason
- Reports of the controller stop working unexpectedly
12. AMIR Upgraded Solar Powered String LightsBest Weatherproof Solar String Lights
The advantage of having solar-powered string lights is that you don’t have to plug them into your mains electricity. That’s the same case with the Amir Upgraded Solar Powered String Lights. When the sunlight is on, the solar panel charges the battery. At night when the lights turn on, they will draw their power straight from the battery. For this particular product, the battery lasts a maximum of 14 hours when fully charged. That is longer than the time it takes most of the other solar-powered string lights.
Featuring an IP65 heat-resistant and waterproof outer cover, the cords and durable and suitable for both indoor and outdoor use. Thus you can use them in the rain without worrying about possible short circuits. You may install the lights in your garden, yard, patio or gate. It doesn’t matter if you have a wedding, birthday, anniversary or Christmas party. The lights can truly awe and dazzle your visitors.
The lights come with only two switch buttons, making them easy to use. You only need to turn the lights on once. When darkness sets in, the lights will automatically turn on. As soon as the sun rises in the sky, they will turn off. No need for you to be there to do all that. Also, the lights are designed to provide lighting at an angle of 360 degrees. Just what can beat that?
- Easy to operate
- Maximum lighting time of up to 14 hours
- Weatherproof and great for the outdoors
- No ability to remember the last light mode
- The more the strings, the dimmer the light
- Reports of lights rotating too much
How to Choose The Best Patio String Lights – The Ultimate Buying Guide
String lights are perfect for lighting pathways, patios, gardens, gates, and other outdoor and indoor spaces. Apart from being more affordable than standard lights, string lights are also fairly durable. That means you can expect to have them in use for the longest time after installation.
Given the many outdoor string lights out there, it takes a keen eye to know the perfect one to choose from. When buying one of these products, you have to be well acquainted with things such as the length of the cord, type of bulb, power source, light color, and design. In short, buying string lights is not as straightforward as you might think. The following are some of the questions you must answer:
What Type of String Light Is It?
There are three main types of string lights on the market including outdoor patio lights, LED patio lights, solar patio outdoor lights. We discuss all of these types of lights in detail below:
- Outdoor Patio Lights: If you are buying the lights for use in your garden, patio, or pathway, then it is definitely an outdoor patio light. They are designed to withstand harsh weather including heat from the sun and water from the rain. For the covers of the cords, these lights feature heat-resistant and waterproof material such as IP64 or IP65. The advantage of waterproof material is that it won’t allow water in. this will prevent any short-circuiting.
- LED Patio Lights: LED patio lights are known to utilize a little energy to emit the most light. In addition, they last for a long time. Since they use little energy, LED lights are more eco-friendly than incandescent ones. It is because of these advantages that you will find LED lights to be more expensive. Mostly, the price ranges from $10 to $30. They can be connected either to a solar panel or a mains electricity socket.
- Solar Patio Lights: Solar-powered string lights have taken the market by storm. They are designed for use by people who care about protecting the environment. Since they do not use mains electricity, they usually help in saving energy bills. Mostly, they are designed for use in the outdoors. They come with an auto on/off function, which works on the basis of whether the sun is up or down. In the evening, the lights will automatically turn on only to turn off as soon as the sun rises in the morning.
What Style of String Light Is It?
Outdoor string lights have existed for a long time, even though they have only become more popular in recent times. As such, they come in three distinct styles, namely the traditional, rope, and net lights. Below is a detailed look at each of these Styles of string lights.
- Traditional String Lights: Traditional string lights are the most commonly used for decorations during parties and other special occasions. Due to their association with the festivities, they are also referred to as Christmas lights. The bulbs come in one circuit meaning that the outage of one bulb affects all the others. They are cheaper than all the other styles of string lights and break easily. That means they aren’t designed for use in the outdoors.
- Rope String Lights: This style of string lights is a slight improvement on the traditional ones. Unlike the traditional string lights, the outage of one bulb doesn’t affect the rest. Most of them allow you to replace the spoiled light so that the whole unit keeps working perfectly. Many of the models under this category are designed for both outdoor and indoor use. That’s because the cords have a special outer cover which is both heat-resistant and waterproof.
- Net Lights: As the name suggests, this kind of light exists in the form of nets instead of ropes. Instead of a continuous string connecting the bulbs, you will get a net. When lit, they give a semblance of a starry night.
What Is The Source Of Power?
In order to provide you with the light you need, string lights need a source of power. It can be either be the mains power or solar panel. Each one of these is convenient and advantageous in its own way. Here are the details:
- Mains Electricity: Several of the string lights discussed in this review can be plugged into a mains electricity source to work. Some may require a 110V connection while others need a low-voltage adapter.
- Solar Panel: Still, there are other string lights that are entirely solar-powered. During the day, the solar panel charges a battery. When darkness falls, the battery powers the lights for a considerable length of time ranging from 6 to 14 hours. Solar-powered string lights are eco-friendly and help you save money when it comes to the power bills.
Are The String Lights Durable?
Some people have made the mistake of buying string lights that lasted for just a few days. Many of them ended up asking for a replacement. Is that what you really want? That’s why you need to carefully read the reviews before buying any type of string lights. Also, look at the design.
On the market, you will find a set of lights made from a material that really lasts long. Watch out for anything with materials marked as heat-resistant or waterproof. These are the best.
How Energy-Efficient Are the Lights
On the market, you will find string lights with different types of bulbs. While incandescent lights are popular, they tend to consume a lot of energy. The best are LED bulbs which come with comparatively low wattage. So, if your major concern is the amount of money you are paying for your energy bills, make sure you buy string lights with LED bulbs.
Alternatively, you may opt for solar-powered lights that do not require you to plug into a power source. But that doesn’t mean that you compromise on the light intensity. You will be surprised that some LED bulbs are brighter than incandescent ones. To get the best, you only need to look carefully.
How Bright Are The String Lights?
The level of brightness required from string lights may vary depending on who is buying them. Some people are okay with lights that appear a little dim while others need very bright ones.
It also depends on the occasion when the lights are being used. So, you have to be careful when selecting string lights. You don’t want to end up with a set of lights that are too bright or too dim. The main factor to look at is the lumens rating of the bulbs.
Are The Lights Safe To Use In Your Home?
Some string lights may turn out to be unsafe for use in the home, especially with the kids and pets running all over. So, don’t buy just any string lights. Buy lights with cool and safe-to-touch bulbs. Also, the materials used should be environmentally safe. As such, you might have to buy UL-certified bulbs. These will work while remaining safe to you, your pets, and children.
Outdoor string lights also need to be able to withstand the ravages of the elements. They should work perfectly even when it is raining. But to do that, they need to be waterproof. That means that the material used to make the outer cover of the cord should be waterproof. That way, the lights will be able to resist short circuits that come due to the rain. This is an aspect of safety that you cannot overlook.
What Is Your Budget?
When it comes down to the final buying decision, your budget will determine if you can actually have the lights. Usually, incandescent lights are cheaper. They cost up to $35. However, LED lights are more cost-effective. They may cost less or more than $35 but they last longer and consume less energy. That means that it will cost less in terms of energy bills. Even though they have a higher initial price, LED lights are cheaper in the long run.
If you look in the right places, you are likely to come across lots of different types of string lights. That’s why you should be careful when picking the type to buy. The buying guide discussed here is the best way to know exactly what you are putting your money into. Also, check the reviews to see if you find something you like. In the end, your choice will boil down to your needs and budget. Make sure you take all of that into consideration.