Gentlemen, filth is part of life, and there’s nothing wrong with that. But how you clean it that evening after a long day or in the morning as you head to work is what matters. You can never neglect a humble body wash. Plain soap might give you the impression that you are clean, but it may end up drying your skin, leaving you itchy and smelling like your dishwashing detergent. You need a body wash designed for men — you know, one that’s masculine and does a good job at removing all that filth.
Think of a body wash as a soft hand soap, only that it’s designed for your entire body (well, not for the hair like a shampoo though). You can rub some on your hands, apply it to your washcloth or body scrubber, rub it plain on your skin or any other way you wish. You’ll not only walk out of that bathroom clean but also smelling like a million bucks!
But wait a minute! How do you even know the best body wash for men? Do you just pick any that you come across? No! There are some things that you need to keep in mind as you start your shopping to ensure you pick the right one for your needs. Luckily, we have included them all in this review and even gone an extra mile to give you ten cool body wash for men to get you started.
Top 10 Body Wash for Men of 2020 Reviewed
1. Brickell Men’s Invigorating Mint Body Wash for Men, Natural and Organic Deep Cleansing ShowerBest Mint Body Wash for Men
Very few grooming products for men are known to work for men of all ages and skin types. That Brickell Men’s Invigorating Mint Body Wash transcends these boundaries is something worth taking note of. It is formulated with natural oils that penetrate deep into the skin to remove both the superficial grime and skin-deep impurities. It makes it possible for a blemished skin to heal inside-out.
The list of ingredients used to make this product reads like a study of the best that nature has to offer. They include peppermint, tea tree oil, glycerin, jojoba oil, vitamin E, and aloe Vera. All of these play a role in rejuvenating a tired man’s skin. At the end of the shower, you will have a maximum moisturized skin thanks to the action of Aloe Vera and Glycerin. Jojoba oil gets rid of any bacteria that may cause acne and other skin blemishes.
With this product, you need to be generous in the amount you apply to your body. It lathers quickly when used together with a shower sponge or loofah.
- Contains highly-effective natural ingredients
- Great for all skin types
- Protects your skin from blemishes due to bacterial infections
- A costly body wash
- May not be available in the store near you
- May not work well on oily skin
2. Cremo All-Season Body Wash, Blue Cedar & Cypress, 16-OunceBest Blue Cedar and Cypress Body Wash for Men
The name of this product says it all. Cremo is an all-season body wash that good for a man’s all-year showering needs. In winter, when it is dry, you will find the hydrating qualities of this product to be good enough when it comes to preventing itchy and flakey skin. It rises to the occasion in the hot and humid summer by leaving your skin pores open and breathable. All this thanks to its non-comedogenic nature.
It is formulated with powerful, natural fragrances in the form of citrus zest, aromatic cypress, and refreshing cedar. Cremo All-Season Body Wash boasts of layered fragrances that are released as your shower time progresses beginning with top followed by the middle and ending with base notes. No other body wash is designed to work like that.
With this product, a little goes a long way. Just a small measure is enough to last the whole showering session.
- Great for use all-year-round
- Effectively moisturizes the skin
- You only need to use a little
- Prone to leaks while in transit
- Some users have complained about it not lasting long
3. TheraTree Tea Tree Oil Soap with Neem Oil, 12-OunceBest Tree Tea Oil Body Wash for Men
TheraTree Tea Tree Oil Soap with Neem Oil is a wholesome grooming product for the discerning man. It is formulated using all-natural, organic ingredients which ensure the protection of your skin. No need to worry about harsh chemicals such as silicone, preservatives, thickeners, petroleum, detergents, dyes, and synthetic fragrances. In fact, this body wash is what the doctor ordered for people with sensitive, blemish-prone skin.
If anything, this product has the ability to soothe inflamed, dry, scratchy, itchy skin thanks to omega oils and neem essential oil. Its great smell is also derived from these two ingredients. This skin-nourishing product also contains tea tree essential oils, neem oil extract, and broad-spectrum essential oils. You will never have a reason to complain about uncomfortable skin.
With TheraTree Body Wash, a little goes a long way. It has rich foaming action that results in a gentle skin-soothing solution. Its gentle formula means you can use it for your daily grooming purposes.
- Contains organic and all-natural ingredients
- Has an invigorating scent
- Has a skin-soothing formula
- May irritate delicate skin
- The cap on the container tends to get clogged
- May leave the skin dried out
4. Puracy Natural Body Wash, Sulfate-Free Bath and Shower Gel, Citrus & Sea Salt, 16-OunceBest Sulphate-Free Natural Body Wash
Every man deserves an all-natural body wash that’s free of toxin ingredients. The Puracy Natural Body Wash does not contain any parabens, phosphates, triclosan, phosphates, TEA, MEA, DEA, SLS, SLES, chlorine, dyes, caustics, animal by-products or petroleum-based ingredients. If you thought that a body wash must include these chemicals to be effective, you are very wrong. This body wash not only cleanses your skin but also removes impurities, hydrates, and leaves you crisp clean.
Prepared primarily from coconut oil, this product comes alive with a rich, soft, luxurious foam that massages your body like no other. Don’t expect to end up with dry, scorched skin. As stated earlier, it contains clinical-grade moisturizers to complement other skin products. If you have sensitive skin or dermatitis and eczema, this is the product for you. It contains sea salt which is tasked with purifying and balancing the skin.
Importantly, it can work in three ways as a bubble bath, shower gel, or body wash. Not many products can straddle all of the three functions.
- Made of all-natural ingredients
- Good for sensitive skin
- Can be used as a bubble bath, shower gel or body wash
- May not be easy to bet from the store near you
- The scent may not be sufficient for people with a strong body odor
- The pump on the bottle is easy to break
5. Every Man Jack Body Wash and Shower Gel Cedarwood, 16.9-OunceBest Cedarwood Shower Gel for Men
It might be a new entrant in the men’s grooming world but Every Man Jack Body Wash is already attracting rave reviews from those who have used it before. Thanks to its all-natural ingredient list, this gel is safe for use on any skin type. A cursory look at the ingredient list will reveal plant extracts such as rosemary oil, castor oil, and clary sage oil.
It is formulated to penetrate the skin to hydrate and rejuvenate it after a tough working day. The light nature of the gel ensures that your skin pores remain unclogged. Thus, it does not worsen skin conditions such as acne, eczema, and dermatitis. Rather, it is a soothing gel that’s specially made for men with sensitive skin.
With this product, a little goes a long way. It produces a moderate foam that bursts with a masculine but pleasant scent. It is free of parabens, dyes, and phthalates. It is best for men who are conscious of their environmental impact.
- Made of naturally-derived plant-based ingredients
- Good for the environment
- Easily available in a store near you
- For some men, the scent is a little too light
- Some men may find the smell of coconut oil to be irritating
- Some men have complained of getting a rash after using it
6. BOTANIC HEARTH Tea Tree Body WashBest Body Wash for Bacterial and Fungal
Since they sweat a lot, athletes are prone to bacterial and fungal attacks. If you are one of them, the broad-spectrum formulation of BOTANIC HEARTH Tea Tree Body is what you need. It gets rid of the bacteria, fungus, and yeast. In the process, it protects you against acne, toenail fungus, jock itch, athlete’s foot, ringworm, yeast, and other causes of skin irritation. So it doesn’t just wash your skin but also protects it from attack.
This product contains zero harsh chemicals. The ingredients are 100 percent natural and pure. For those who care about the environment, this body wash also features a small percentage of organic ingredients.
It should not be lost to you that this product is composed of tea tree. As such, it smells great and can help people with a strong body odor to smell better. After all, the way you smell is also a major component of grooming.
- Protects the skin from harmful bacteria and fungus
- Made of 100 percent all-natural, pure ingredients
- Smells great
- Some users have complained about it causing a rash
- May worsen acne
- Not the best alternative for people with sensitive skin
7. Jack Black Turbo Wash Energizing Cleanser Hair and BodyBest Hair and Body Wash for Men
If you are looking for the luxury that comes from a soap made of nothing but natural ingredients? Jack Black is all you need. This product is made of natural ingredients such as Juniper Berry, Eucalyptus, and Rosemary. It gently targets oils and dirt, leaving your skin very clean. For men with dry skin, you need Black Jack to hydrate and moisturize the skin.
It is recommended to use this product in a warm shower. For athletes or individuals with active lifestyles, this should happen just before every workout. It is built to open airways, loosen muscles, and spur the sense into action.
One thing you should know about Jack Black is that it is available in three different sizes. You will find it in 3-ounce, 10-ounce, and 33-ounce bottles. Whether you need it for home use or travel purposes, it comes through in more than just one way.
- Formulated to moisturize normal skin
- Has a nice-smelling eucalyptus scent
- You only need to use a little at a time
- It is costlier than other products of its kind
- Prone to spillage while in transit
- The stopper on the container may snap off without a warning
8. Burt’s Bees Natural Skin Care Body Wash for Men, 12-OunceBest Citrus Body Wash for Men
Over the years, Burt’s been have been producing some of the best all-natural lip balms. Whether you have used their products in the past or not, this body wash is worth trying. The care that has gone into making this product eco-friendly cannot be gainsaid. As such, the ingredients used to make this body wash are 99.99 percent organic.
This is a natural vegetable soap that features a coconut oil base that’s both mild and beneficial to your skin. In this body wash, you shouldn’t expect any of the synthetic lathering ingredients that irritate the skin, leaving it dry and famished. Instead, Burt’s Bees Natural Skin Care Body Wash will nourish your skin and leave it soft, supple, and moisturized.
Its scent combines several natural fragrances, including citrus, fir, and cypress. The earthy fragrance is enhanced by an infused wood-like aroma. If you have a strong body odor, this is what you should go for. It works well on both the oily and sensitive skin types.
- Composed of 99.99 percent organic, all-natural ingredients
- Has a wonderful woody smell
- Moisturizes and softens your skin
- You might find the lather to be rather inadequate
- Some people may find the earthy fragrance repelling
9. MARLOWE No. 103 Men’s Body Wash 16-OunceBest Aloe Vera and Green Tea Body Wash for Men
The Marlowe brand of skincare products has been around for some time now. The company is associated with simple but effective products. If you are looking for a perfectly-blended, high-quality body wash, try out the Marlowe N. 103 Men’s Body Wash. It features all-natural ingredients such as green tea, passion fruit flower, and willow bark extract. Don’t expect the skin-irritating harsh chemicals in some skin cleansers. In addition to being safe for your skin, this body wash is also friendly to the environment.
This hardworking body wash goes further than just washing the skin. You shouldn’t expect it just to cleanse your skin. Rather, it nourishes, revitalizes, repairs, and makes the skin smooth. It is also perfect for men with sensitive skin.
One aspect that men are concerned with is how great or bad a body wash smells. This particular product will not disappoint. Once you get a whiff of the combination of sandalwood/agarwood scents, you will appreciate the care that goes into formulating this product. In fact, the scent is small enough to take care of body odor issues.
- Made of all-natural ingredients
- Has a great, natural, woodsy smell
- Environmentally friendly product
- Some users have complained about inadequate lather
- Prone to leaks during shipping
- Other users have complained about the size as too small
10. Remedy Antifungal SoapBest Anti Fungal Body Wash for Men
If you live with a woman, it doesn’t make sense to buy a body wash exclusively for men. The Remedy Antifungal Soap is meant for use by both men and women. After all, just about anyone can get fungal infections. Thanks to a special formulation that includes broad-spectrum tea tree oil, jojoba oil, and Aloe Vera, this product provides relief for itchy, dry, flaky skin.
For men and women who lead an active lifestyle, this is the best remedy. Not only does it protect you from fungal infections but it also freshens your body odor. All this without exposing you to the dangers of synthetic detergents, preservatives, fragrances, artificial colors, and alcohol. Instead, the organic oils that form part of its formula protect and heal the skin. People with blemish-prone skin will find Remedy Antifungal Soap to be very beneficial.
Another aspect of this product is its ability to hydrate, moisturize, soothe, and soften the skin. This is thanks to the coconut, jojoba, and olive oil. If you have dry skin, this is definitely a product you should try. If you like supple, soft skin, try this product.
- It fights fungal as well as bacterial infections
- A safe product made of all-natural ingredients
- Great for hydrating dry skin for both men and women
- Some users have reported that their issues with yeast did not go away
- A little costlier than similar products
How to Choose the Best Body Wash for Men: The Ultimate Buying Guide
Before settling on just one body wash, you have to consider much more than just the grooming needs of the individual. After all, men are not created the same. Some may have dry skin; others may have normal skin. You should consider all these simply for the reason that you want to clean your skin and protect it at the same time. Since you cannot pick just anybody wash, the following are some of the things you must consider:
Ingredients of a Good Body Wash
It is instructive to note that most of the body wash products available on the market are either made of natural or non-natural ingredients. When you are picking a certain product for your use in the bath or shower, this is a very important consideration. It determines whether the product is safe for you or not. Let’s focus on the two types of ingredients used to make body washes for men.
Most of the products in this category are made of 99 percent natural ingredients. These include base oils such as coconut as well as essential oils like mint. Since the ingredients are sourced from nature, they are safe for individuals with sensitive skins. This body washes hardly feature any of the harsh chemicals used in the coloring, preserving, and providing fragrance. When you use them, you can be sure that no harsh chemicals are actually penetrating your skin. You are encouraged to use all-natural body washes if your skin is prone to acne, eczema, and other skin blemishes.
Alternatives: The only alternative available to the all-natural body washes are the ones containing synthetic ingredients. If you have sensitive skin, that isn’t an alternative you should consider.
Things to avoid or be super attentive: It is important to pay attention to the list of ingredients. Even in a long list of more than five, there could be one that might cause an allergy to your skin. So don’t buy before looking at the ingredients. Another thing to consider is price. While there are some affordable all-natural body washes, others might be very expensive. Since they are made mostly of naturally occurring ingredients, some of these body washes might not foam as expected. Pay attention to that.
If you have a less-reactive skin, you might want to try these kinds of body washes. Compared to the all-natural products, these are usually cost-effective. However, you will have to contend with all the chemicals that come with them. In fact, most of the products being released to the market all contain chemicals.
Alternatives: The only alternative to chemical-based body washes is the all-natural ones. Chemical-based body washes tend to lather more than the alternative. However, if you have sensitive skin, you might want to pick all-natural products.
Things to avoid or be super-attentive to: One of the major things to focus on when buying chemical-based body washes are the ingredients. Avoid buying a body wash with ingredients that cause allergic reactions.
Type of Body Wash
Body washes come in three basic types. They could be shower get, exfoliating washes or moisturizing washes. We give them a detailed look below:
- Gel Wash: Also known as shower gels, these are meant to be used on the skin. Their work is to get rid of the grime and dirt that accumulates on the skin. They are usually thicker, giving you the satisfaction of getting all you want from a body wash. They work well for individuals with blemish-prone skin. Also, buy one if you have dry skin. They are usually formulated to moisturize your skin and leave it feeling supple and full.
- Exfoliating Wash: Instead of feeling like gel or cream, these body washes are more abrasive. Their main function is to remove the dead cells that keep forming on your skin. They work well on a cracked, dry, and rough skin. You can use an exfoliating body wash virtually on any part of your body, including elbows, knees, and back.
- Moisturizing Wash: If you have dry skin, this is the best body wash for you. We are not talking about skin that keeps flaking. Rather, the skin that does not just look hydrated. Consider it if you keep having a stretchy face every time you try to smile. It restores skin hydration, making it supple and elastic. If you want to feel refreshed, this is all you need.
A majority of people seem to have one skin issue or the other. So, it is safe to assume that you already have a good idea about the type of skin you have. Based on that, you will be able to choose the best body wash. Even though some people tend to fall within two or more skin types, there are three general skin types. Thus, you could be having a sensitive, dry, or acne-prone skin.
- Sensitive Skin: When you have sensitive skin, everything seems to bother you. It may not be full of blemishes, but you get minor reactions when you use certain products. Your skin is not meant for chemical-based products. That’s why you are better off with all-natural body washes. Whenever you come across products with synthetic dyes or fragrances, avoid them like the plague. Instead, buy products that contain glycerin, coconut oil, and other moisturizers.
- Dry Skin: It is possible that you have a skin that doesn’t seem to respond to creams, skincare products, and moisturizers. With the right body wash, you can open up the pore and allow the other products to have a better effect on the skin. But that doesn’t mean that you buy anything with harsh chemical detergents. Buy moisturizing body washes which are designed to re-hydrate your skin. You may want to try products containing Shea butter, an excellent moisturizer. Instead of gel, you may also buy products with creamier formulas.
- Acne-Prone Skin: Acne is a common skin condition that affects most people. It may appear on the face or any other part of the body such as the arms. People in their mid-thirties also tend to develop a lot of acne on the face. With the right body wash, you should be able to manage and even get rid of the acne. So, buy a body wash with the ability to exfoliate the skin of dead skin cells. It should also be in a position to open pores. If you can find products with the anti-inflammatory tea tree oil, buy it.
How Do You Intend To Apply the Body Wash?
If you are using a body wash for the first time, you may not have an idea of how to apply it. As such, you may need to have either a sponge, loofah, or washcloth. We talk about all of these in detail, below.
- Sponges: Sponges are great for people with sensitive skin or those in need of deep exfoliation. Buy a soft sponge that is less abrasive but effective at the same time.
- Loofah: While a sponge can do the trick when it comes to skin exfoliation, loofahs work better. Since they are natural, they can be used to remove dead skin cells from any part of the body. All you have to do is to scrub gently. If you intend to use it to wash your back, then buy a loofah with stick attachments.
- Washcloth: Most men don’t like anything complicated when it comes to washing their skin. For such people, a simple washcloth will do. When it comes to abrasiveness, washcloths straddle between loofahs and sponges. But that doesn’t mean they aren’t as effective.
What Is The Shelf-Life Of The Body Wash?
If you are not careful, you might end up using an expired body wash. Even if it is made of all-natural ingredients, an expired body wash can be harmful. Most all-natural products have a shelf-life of between six months and one year. That’s because they hardly contain and preservatives. So, as you check the ingredient list, also look at the date of expiry. An expired body wash can expose you to all sorts of bacterial infections. Watch out.
As you can see, there are several brands of body washes for men. If you have never bought one, you may not have a good idea about what it takes to make a good choice. You will have to go through the full list of the products we have reviewed, together with the buying guide. When you find the right body wash, don’t hesitate to use it on your skin.