We all know that we all need to ensure clean and white teeth and healthy gums. Having healthy and attractive teeth starts with proper oral hygiene, which basically includes regular brushing (at least twice a day) and flossing. Brushing your teeth twice a day plus flossing daily is key if you want to retain your teeth for a good long while. However, you won’t have the best results unless you use a good-quality toothbrush. While the manual brush is still the most popular type of toothbrush these days, thousands of people swear by the benefits of electric toothbrushes. In fact, even scientists agree that they are far better than their manual counterparts when it comes to cleaning the teeth and removing plaque.
However, you should know that electric toothbrushes are not created equal. While they are not a complicated machinery, they usually come with varying features, purposes and benefits. Some brands really stand out because of their deep cleaning capabilities and unique, helpful features while others are just a waste of money. So before you spend your hard-earned cash for this basic oral hygiene tool, check out the following in-depth reviews of the best electric toothbrushes on the market.
Top 11 Electric Toothbrushes Of 2019 Reviewed
- Top 11 Electric Toothbrushes Of 2019 Reviewed
- 1. Philips Sonicare
- 2. Oral-B Pro 7000
- 3. Oral-B Pro 1000
- 4. Philips Sonicare 2 Series
- 5. Waterpik Sensonic Professional Toothbrush
- 6. Philips Sonicare for Kids
- 7. SONIC Chic URBAN Travel Toothbrush
- 8. Waterpik Complete Care Water Flosser and Sonic Toothbrush
- 9. Fairywill Sonic Electric Toothbrush
- 10. Oral-B Pro 3000
- 11. Oral-B Pro 7500
- Electric Toothbrush Buying Guide
1. Philips SonicareElectric Toothbrush Overall
A great investment. If you want a deep clean similar to what you get from your dentist, Philips Sonicare is the brush to get. The most loved electric toothbrush by Americans and their dentists, the Philips Sonicare uses unique sonic technology to deep clean your teeth, doing 31,000 brush strokes per minute. It features a sweeping motion that drives fluids into the tight spaces between your teeth, resulting in a cleaner and healthier mouth.
The unit also comes with 5 unique brushing modes, which include teeth whitening and teeth and gum cleaning. In addition, there’s the quadpacer with 30-second intervals that allows you to focus and deep clean one area before switching to the next. The product comes with a unique charging glass featuring a conduction technology wherein the brush charges while resting in the glass. The glass can be used for rinsing too once removed from the charging base.
- Customizable cleaning
- Most comfortable handle
- Includes a charging glass
- Lacks pressure sensor
2. Oral-B Pro 7000“Smart” Electric Toothbrush
The Oral-B Black 7000 SmartSeries is the first of its kind in the world to incorporate Bluetooth connectivity for a better brushing experience.
The Oral-B SmartSeries offers a revolutionary way for you to take care of your oral health. The company is the first in its kind to create a ‘smart’ version of an electric toothbrush which, through Bluetooth connectivity, gives you real-time feedback, tips and expert recommendations to improve your mouth health, and even senses when you brush too hard. It comes with 6 brushing modes: whitening, gum care, sensitive, daily clean, deep clean, and tongue cleaning.
Another interesting feature is the CrossAction brush with bristles angled at 16 degrees and moves in three directions: oscillating, pulsating, and rotating. This toothbrush model is compatible with all Oral-B electric toothbrush heads so replacement is really convenient. The battery life is a full three weeks but since it has lots of features, recharging it takes some time.
- CrossAction brush head
- Angled bristles for better cleaning
- Real-time feedback through Oral-B App
- Slow to recharge (takes 24 hours to fully charge)
3. Oral-B Pro 1000Budget-friendly Electric Toothbrush
If you’re looking for a great electric toothbrush at a budget-friendly price, the Oral-B Pro 1000 is definitely a wonderful choice.
Recommended by leading dental associations around the world, the Oral-B Pro 1000 features a special cupping action for thorough cleaning. In addition to the two-minute timer and quadpacer, it comes with an indicator that lets you know when it’s time to replace your toothbrush. The brush features a round and compact design with 3D cleaning action – oscillating, rotating and pulsating.
The Oral-B brush needs more maintenance, charging and cleaning. A fully charged brush lasts up to 7 days with regular use. The manufacturer also recommends depleting the battery in between charges until it is fully recharged, at least once a month, to ensure that the battery works at its maximum capacity.
- 3D Cleaning Action
- Uses mechanical Oral-B brush head designs
- Noisier than Sonic brushes
- Needs regular recharging at fixed time intervals
4. Philips Sonicare 2 SeriesLow-cost Sonic Electric Toothbrush
Featuring an advanced angled design, two-minute timer, and excellent plaque control technology, the Philips Sonicare 2 Series is an impressive product at an excellent price. This electric toothbrush features the Sonic technology from Phillips. This creates gentle vibrations and a dynamic fluid action to allow microbubbles between the tight spaces in your teeth, leaving you with an incredibly deep clean feel.
This model features plaque control brush which is composed of curved bristles that are designed to match the shape of your teeth. The ergonomic handle makes it comfortable to hold the brush and the two-color battery indicator lets you know when it’s time to recharge the battery. And if you’re new to using sonic brushes, this starter brush has an easy-start feature that slowly increases power over first 14 uses. With regular use, the Philips Sonicare 2 electric toothbrush last for two weeks before the need to recharge.
- Sonic technology
- Orthodontic brush
- Easy-start feature
- One brushing mode
- Brush not suitable for sensitive teeth
5. Waterpik Sensonic Professional ToothbrushElectric Toothbrush for People with Orthodontics
Waterpik Sensonic might be a basic electric toothbrush but it has gotten excellent ratings from thousands of people on Amazon. It’s powerful and gentle, ideal for people with orthodontics. When you get braces or any serious orthodontic work (braces, implants, crowns, bridges or veneers), you are bound to face a lot of adjustments. The sonic toothbrush and water flosser equipped into this electric brush help get behind your brackets, crowns or bridges to deep clean your teeth and gums.
The water flosser is the most interesting feature of this product. The extra-soft, end-rounded bristles are designed to clean hard-to-reach areas of your mouth and the ergonomic handle which comes with two-speed settings is easy on your hands. This brush comes with two hygienic brush head covers, a premium travel case, and a minute brushing timer. It also comes with three brushes: one standard, one Interdental, and one compact brush head.
- Advanced brush head design
- Two-speed settings
- Comes with a water flosser
- Sensonic brush lacks interesting features
6. Philips Sonicare for KidsElectric Toothbrush for Kids
Featuring an interactive free app that educates and gets children excited about brushing, the Philips Sonicare for Kids is another top product designed for your little one.
One of Amazon’s choices, this electric brush has gotten tons of positive feedback from customers. It comes with a free interactive app that rewards children for completing each brushing session, with 98% of parents saying it’s easier to get kids to brush longer and better. Like standard electric toothbrushes for adults, the Philips Sonicare for kids also features a 2-minute timer and quadrant pulses to ensure that they are brushing their teeth properly.
The brush produces 500 strokes per second. As a bonus, it also comes with stickers which allow them to customize their brush and make it their own. The package includes a Bluetooth-enabled rechargeable toothbrush, one brush head, 8 handle stickers, one charger base, and two bonus sticker sheets.
- Patented sonic technology
- Sized for kids’ mouths
- Brush included in the unit is smaller for five years and below
7. SONIC Chic URBAN Travel ToothbrushElectric Toothbrush for Travel
A fashionable, chic and fun toothbrush that looks more like lipstick – the SONIC Chic URBAN Travel Toothbrush is an ideal pick for people who are always on the go.
If you travel a lot, you want an electric toothbrush that is lightweight, compact, and convenient to use. And because the battery isn’t rechargeable, you won’t have to worry about bringing a charger and needing a power source which is ideal for travel. It runs on AA battery which isn’t expensive and isn’t hard to find. This brush comes in different designs, such as “Tribal Quest”, “Proud Peacock” and “Loud Leopard”.
The brush head features soft bristles that are gentle on the teeth. However, unlike most brushes, it doesn’t have grooves on the back which is a great feature for cleaning gums. In addition to the main brush head, there is an URBAN replacement head and a hygienic cap that is ventilated to prevent the growth of bacteria.
- Ventilated hygienic cap
- Comes with a regular, non-rechargeable battery
- Don’t have grooves on the back of the brush head
8. Waterpik Complete Care Water Flosser and Sonic ToothbrushBest Electric Toothbrush For Braces
If you want the whole enchilada, then this complete care kit from Waterpik is just what you’re looking for. This kit comes with a water flosser, something you only typically see in a dentist’s office. It can blast water in all the nooks and crannies, ensuring that any plaque, bacteria, and food bits are removed. The Waterpik Sensonic Professional Toothbrush that comes with the kit utilizes sonic technology to clean your teeth. Like our first pick, this comes with a 2-minute timer. However, this one also offers two cleaning speeds.
Plus, you get 2 classic jet tips, a plaque seeker tip, and a pik pocket tip with the kit. If you have braces, this kit is a godsend. But there are drawbacks. The complete care kit takes up a lot of space on your bathroom countertop. The water flosser is very loud. And expect water to be everywhere while you learn how to use it.
- Complete care kit
- Ideal for individuals with braces
- Two cleaning speeds
- Takes up quite a bit of space
- Learning curve in using the water flosser
- Water flosser is very loud
9. Fairywill Sonic Electric ToothbrushBest Electric Toothbrush For Travel
The Fairywill Sonic Electric Toothbrush is an affordable electric toothbrush, perfect for those with a limited budget. Unlike other sonic toothbrushes that feature a rotating head, this one has bristles that vibrate, breaking up plaque and removing stains on your teeth. There’s a built-in 30-second interval timer plus three different modes – Clean, Soft, and Massage – which have different vibration speeds.
The most intense one is the Clean mode which produces up to 35,000 micro-brushes per minute. Even better, the Fairywill Sonic comes with three different brush heads and the charge can last for weeks up to a month. However, this toothbrush charges via a USB cable so you need to purchase an adapter to connect the charging base to an outlet. Also, the brush heads don’t last long – possibly just a month compared to the usual 3 months. In addition, some users felt that the brush head was too small for them.
- Very budget-friendly
- Comes with 3 brush heads
- 3 different cleaning modes
- No adapter included
- Brush heads don’t last long
- Brush head may be too small for some
10. Oral-B Pro 3000Best Electric Toothbrush For Sensitive Teeth
The Oral-B Pro 3000 is a “smart” toothbrush. Unlike the Pro 1000, it has Bluetooth connectivity which allows you to use an app to monitor your brushing activity and help you reach your oral care goals through the Dental Care Journey. It comes with three modes – daily clean, sensitive, and gum care. It also features a pressure sensor that stops pulsations as well as lights up if you are brushing too hard.
The handle buzzes every 30 seconds to let you know when it’s time to brush the next quadrant. However, you need to cycle through the modes to turn off the unit. Not a dealbreaker really, just annoying. This brush is loud, much louder than the Sonicare. And it doesn’t come with a cover for the brush head. Plus, it does take quite a while to charge.
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Pressure sensor lights up
- Three modes
- Requires cycling through modes to turn off
- The brush can be loud
- Takes a while to charge
11. Oral-B Pro 7500Best Electric Toothbrush With The App
The Oral-B Pro 7500 Electric Toothbrush is an upgrade from the Pro 3000. While it also oscillates, rotates, and pulsates to clean your teeth, it comes with 5 different modes – gum care, daily clean, sensitive, deep clean, and whitening. Like the Pro 3000, it does come with a built-in timer and quadpacer. It also features a pressure sensor to prevent you from damaging your teeth and gums. But that’s not all.
This toothbrush can also be connected to an app via Bluetooth, enabling you to monitor your brushing habits. You can even follow a pre-programmed routine that will help you reach your oral care goals – plaque removal, fresh breath, whitening, ortho care, and gum health. You even get 3 Oral-B brush heads – CrossAction, Floss Action, and 3D White replacement brush heads. Plus, the battery life can last as long as 10 days and it comes with a travel case. However, it is expensive and can be a bit loud. Plus, you need to open the app and hold it up if you want to monitor your progress while brushing.
- 5 cleaning modes
- Long battery life
- Comes with 3 brush heads
- The brush can be loud
- Requires you to open the app when in use
Electric Toothbrush Buying Guide
Who doesn’t want to have healthy, attractive teeth and gums? And we all know how to get it, right? Good oral hygiene. Obviously, the only way to do that is to brush your teeth two times a day with a quality toothbrush and regularly flossing your teeth. The question is, how do you know what toothbrush is top quality? Studies have shown that an electric toothbrush is more effective in removing plaque than a manual toothbrush. But how do you find the electric toothbrush that will work best for you? After all, not all electric toothbrushes are created equal. Our buying guide should help you figure out which electric toothbrush is the best in the market.
Electric toothbrushes come in different types, costing anywhere from $10 to as much as $200. When buying one, take time to compare the features, durability, and all other features intended to make brushing easy, effective and comfortable.
Should you buy an electric toothbrush?
To be honest, an electric toothbrush is not a necessity. A manual toothbrush can do the job well enough as long as you use it properly. That being said, there are several benefits to getting one. An electric toothbrush can remove significantly more plaque, bacteria, etc. compared to manual brushing. And it significantly reduces tooth decay while improving gum health. It can make brushing easier for those who have a hard time making it a habit. And it will help you brush for the right amount of time – 2 minutes. Just keep in mind that an electric toothbrush is going to cost you. But the right one will be a worthwhile investment.
Which type of electric toothbrush is best for you?
- Rotating – this is the most basic type of toothbrush and also the cheapest. Rotating brushes have a set of bristles that turn or rotate.
- Rotating-Oscillating – these electric brushes have small, round heads. The head oscillates, rotating in one direction and the other, around one tooth at a time to eliminate plaque.
- Pulsing – some rotating or rotating-oscillating brushes pulsate to make the head move backward and forward while it spins, a mechanism that is proven to help dislodge plaque.
- Counter-Oscillating – having a similar structure with the oscillating brush, this one has bristles that rotate in different directions simultaneously.
- Dual-head – this electric toothbrush has two heads: one that rotates and another that sweeps from side to side.
- Side-to-Side – this type sweeps from side to side at such a high speed that they vibrate against the teeth.
- Sonic and ultrasonic – this brush vibrates at a certain high speed and frequency to break down plaque. Vibrating brushes are more expensive than rotating ones. The Waterpik Complete Care Water Flosser and Sonic Toothbrush features a sonic electric toothbrush.
How long does the battery last?
Before you buy an electric toothbrush, it’s worth considering how long it can be used before you need to recharge it. If you plan to keep the charger readily on hand, choosing a brush with lower battery power is definitely okay. However, if you travel often and find it inconvenient to recharge the battery every now and then, look for the brand which has a long-lasting battery. Some electric brushes last for up to 3 hours (90 brushes at two minutes each) while others run for only 32 minutes (16 brushes).
How often do you have to change the brush head?
You will need to replace the brush head once the bristles have worn out. Replacements are usually expensive and sometimes, you may need to buy multi-packs to keep the cost down.
What features should you look for?
There are features that you can certainly ignore, but there are a few that the best electric toothbrushes should never go without.
This is the basic and most important feature. The timer takes the guesswork out of knowing how much time you need to use the brush to clean your teeth and gums. The American Dental Association recommends brushing for two minutes for an effective clean. The Oral-B PRO 1000, for example, buzzes when the time is up.
Rechargeable batteries take the hassle and cost of replacing batteries of your electric toothbrush. more expensive brushes have longer-lasting batteries which you need to recharge after at least two weeks, on average.
As for battery life, you need to look for a brush like the Philips Sonicare 2 Series that will last for at least a whole week between charging sessions. It’s even better if you can find one that holds a charge far longer.
Having a soft-grip handle makes holding the brush comfortable. It also lessens the vibration you feel in your hand while brushing.
Apart from the basic ones, there are additional features that are worth paying more for:
Sometimes, you might be brushing too hard but you’re not aware of it. This can cause soreness and bleeding. Over time, this can lead to serious damage, such as gum recession. The pressure sensor. Highly recommended by experts, a pressure sensor will buzz, beep, signal a light, or even pause your brushing to warn you that you could be brushing too hard. The Oral-B Pro 3000, for example, comes with a pressure sensor that vibrates and lights up when you are brushing too hard.
Brush head variety
Manufacturers offer various brush heads that you can use with their toothbrushes. Aside from your regular brush head, other types you may encounter are those designed for sensitive teeth, orthodontic work, and extra whitening. The Oral-B Pro 7500, for example, comes with 3 different brush heads.
This feature splits the two-minute brushing time period into four 30-second intervals. This allows you to focus on one area (quadrant) of your mouth at a time for an even brushing session. Electric brushes with this kind of feature will alert you either through a short series of pulses or pauses in vibration when your time is up. The Philips Sonicare for Kids comes with a built-in quadpacer (called Kidpacer), notifying kids when to switch quadrants.
High-end electric toothbrushes typically have different brushing modes intended for different purposes, such as teeth whitening, gum massage, and professional cleaning. This is a nice-to-have feature but certainly not a must-have as experts suggest that simply brushing teeth for two minutes is sufficient enough to maintain proper oral hygiene. The Philips Sonicare DiamondClean comes with 5 different modes – every day clean, whitening, sensitive, gum care, and deep clean.
Some brands even go as far as installing Bluetooth connectivity to your brush which allows you to track your brushing habits through an app. It may not be encouraging for adults but it’s a great way to help children get used to brushing their teeth.
What the best electric toothbrush has
What makes the best electric toothbrush? Based on the review above, the best brushes share the following features:
- They have a simple operation – despite many brands having fancy features and additions, what many consumers consider the best are those that are incredibly easy to operate. It goes without saying that these brushes are comfortable to hold, easy to use, and have simple controls that are not rocket science to decipher. Furthermore, they have a brush size and head that makes it easy to manipulate in the house. If you have hand mobility issues, you should check if the brush handle enables you to get a good grip. Some models tend to have a slim body/handle (similar to a manual brush) which may not be suitable for you.
- Good performance – the best electric toothbrushes run smoothly and consistently. They are heavy-duty and don’t wear down easily. If there’s a water flosser, it doesn’t leak or spray from the nozzle or handle. Of course, it is expected that when the battery is almost drained, the brush may not operate properly. Thus, always make it a habit to check the battery levels of your electric toothbrush and charge it accordingly. The product label should give you enough details on how long the battery lasts before the need to recharge and the right way to charge it.
- Packed with helpful features – these brushes have the features mentioned above, from the two-minute timer to a reliable power source and quad-pacing. Other additions, like travel cases and charging stands, may not affect the brush’s performance but they are handy and very useful to have, especially if you’re always on the go.
- Long-term durability – Durability is an important feature of the best electric toothbrushes. Generally, they should last 3-5 years. Meanwhile, the replacement brush heads should last for 3 months, and the jet picks for water flossers every 6 months.
- Suitable to the user’s lifestyle – last but not least, the best electric toothbrush should meet your personal needs and preferences. If you’re always on the go, the best one for you is basically a compact brush which has its own case and a lasting battery so you can travel for several days or weeks without having to bring the charger. If you have a sensitive gum, you may consider choosing the brush which has a ‘sensitive’ mode which is more gentle in the gums than standard electric brushes.
More than giving you an attractive smile all the time, maintaining proper oral hygiene is essential to your overall health. Thanks to electric toothbrushes, you don’t always have to go to the dentist to have a deep clean every now and then. Electric brushes are way powerful than manual brushes as they are able to produce hundreds to thousands of brush strokes per minute. They are also very easy to use, with timer and quadrant pacer features to ensure that you are giving your mouth the right amount of cleaning it needs.
But all these great features come with a price. Electric toothbrushes are considerably more expensive than manual brushes, with some brands really going all the way up to the extreme price range. However, if you come to think of the features and how they ensure that your teeth and gums are super clean, you will know that buying one is totally worth it.
With this guide, you should be able to pick the best electric toothbrush to address your needs. Whether you have a sensitive gum, orthodontics, hand movement or grip problems, or simply need quality deep clean at each brushing session, or if you have a busy lifestyle and is always on the go, you will definitely find the toothbrush that works for you best.