They say that ‘eyes are the windows to the soul’. One of the first things that people notice about you are your shoes and your eyes. So why not make that moment when your eyes lock with another person’s a magical and memorable one? It’s easy to achieve beautiful eyes by applying mascara that will give your lashes instant volume and length.
There are different types of mascara available in the market and it’s important to pick wisely since some are out to harm your eyes rather than bring out their beauty. You will find mascara that adds volume to your lashes, lengthens them while some brands have products specially designed for sensitive eyes. As you step out to pick the ideal mascara that will compliment your eyes, you need to know the variety of products in the market.
We have brought you a comprehensive review of the best mascara from some of the most reputable brands in the beauty industry that will make your eyes pop beautifully and leave everyone mesmerized by their beauty.
Top 12 Mascara of 2020 Reviewed
1. Vivienne Sabó Cabaret Première Artistic Volume MascaraBest for Volume
You can use this everyday mascara from Vivienne Sabo without having to worry about messing your eyes. It’s specially designed to add volume to your eyes where just one coat of the Cabaret Premiere will make your lashes look thicker. You don’t have to worry about clumps forming on the lashes since it’s made using a light weight formula that will give your eyes a natural and volumized look all day.
It’s also smudge free so that your lashes remain soft and last all day without need for a touch up. It also comes with a plastic wand that makes application easy and mess free. To remove the mascara, you just need to use a make remover and warm water. The product is cruelty free meaning that it hasn’t been tested on animals.
- Doesn’t clump
- Cruelty free
- Lightweight formula for more volume
- Not waterproof
- Does flake
- Wand is a bit thin and tiny
2. L’Oreal Paris Makeup Lash Paradise MascaraBest for Added Length
If you love lengthy lashes that are thick and breathtaking, then the Voluminous Lash Paradise Mascara from L’Oreal Paris will be a great pick. Using their innovative brushes, you can create a dramatic makeup look on your lashes that won’t smudge or clump all day long.
The mascara has a smooth glide formula that is easy to apply and creates a silky volume in just one coat. You can choose from four different sizes including one that comes as a gift kit with a wide variety of makeup items. You can also choose from several colors such as blackest black, washable black brown and washable black.
- Great for adding length
- Available in different colors and sizes
- Smooth glide formula
- Applicator is quite large
- Not the best for volume
- Needs constant retouch
3. Elizabeth Mott It’s So Big Volumizing MascaraBest for Thicker Lashes
Mascara by Elizabeth Mott. On application, it has a flexible tubing polymer that wraps 360° around each eye lash and reaches even the furthest corner of the lash. The mascara is resistant to sweat, tears or water. You will get great volume after a couple of applications that will hold the curl all day without need for a touch up.
The mascara is made of natural ingredients where a blend of natural beeswax and Carnauba wax is used. The lightweight formula give your lashes a feathery feel that doesn’t wear your eyes down. It’s also easy to remove and easy to control during application. The corset shaped brush delivers the right amount of mascara during application.
- Made of natural carnauba and beeswax
- Corset shaped brush for easy application.
- Wraps around 360°
- Difficult to apply on lower lashes
- Can dry out fast
- Has a smell
4. COVERGIRL LashBlast Volume MascaraBest Application Brush
For show-stopping thick lashes with lots of volume, then the LashBlast 805 Black Mascara from Covergirl is a perfect pick. It’s designed with a special hypoallergenic formula that will not harm your eyes but make your lashes thick and mesmerizing. It comes with a patent-pending application brush that will reach out to each eye lash which helps create more volume. The mascara doesn’t smear and be easily be retouched during the day without clumping.
- Has special application brush
- Hypoallergenic formula
- 10 times more volume
- Requires multiple application
- Not waterproof
- May come in different packaging
5. Mia Adora 3D Fiber Lash MascaraBest for Sensitive Eyes
Getting a perfect fit for your sensitive eyes can be quite tasking. However, the Mia Adora 3D Fiber Lash Mascara is made using non-toxic ingredients that will give your eyes a dramatic look without harming them. The mascara has tiny natural green tea extensions which give your lashes instant volume and length.
It comes with a specially designed comb that doesn’t cause smudging and allows for a simple 3 step application process. By following the package’s detailed instructions, you will enjoy longer and thicker eyelashes that will last all day.
- Made non-toxic ingredients
- Easy application
- Long lasting
- The tiny fibers may keep falling off
- Dries out fast
- May clump
6. essence Lash Princess False Lash Effect MascaraBest Cruelty Free Mascara
You won’t need any falsies with the essence Lash Princess False Lash Effect Mascara since has a deep black color that makes it ideal for your makeup routine. The conic shaped fiber brush will provide your lashes with great volume and a sculpted length. The mascara is ophthalmologically tested and cruelty free to ensure your eyes are safe. It’s also gluten free and will give you long lasting dramatic eyes all day.
- Deep rich black color
- Cruelty free and gluten free
- Conic shaped brush for easy application
- Doesn’t come in a packaging
- Does clump
- May irritate eyes
7. Natural Minerals MascaraBest Hypoallergenic Mascara
If your eyes are allergic and often tear up, then this hypoallergenic mascara from Natural Minerals will be a great match for you. It’s made of non-toxic and safe ingredients that are gluten free, paraben free, mercury free and cruelty free. The formula used will give you thick eye lashes naturally. Better yet, it can also be used as an eye liner where you just need to dip a different brush and use it as a water line as well.
- Non-toxic and natural ingredients
- Dual purpose
- Gives length and volume
- May have a smell
- Often clumps
- Often needs retouching
8. Neutrogena Healthy Lengths Mascara
Best for Healthy Lashes
Neutrogena is one of the most reputable brands in the beauty industry and consumers love their attention to quality and functionality. One such product is this lash lengthening mascara that will extend and strengthen your lashes for a gorgeous look. It’s packed with Vitamin E and olive oil that will nourish your lashes. The product is tested by reputable opthamologist to ensure quality and safety of your eyes.
- Lash lengthening formula
- Tested for quality and safety
- Enriched with Vitamin E and olive oil
- Smears easily
- May dry out quickly on opening
- A bit pricey
9. AsaVea Natural 4D Silk Fiber Lash MascaraBest for Deep Pigmentation
For instant volume and length, the AsaVea 4D Silk Fiber Mascara will help you achieve that. The mascara is deeply pigmented with a long lasting formula that will leave your lashes thick and bulky. It’s also waterproof which makes it ideal for sports people and those with tear eyes. It’s made using gentle ingredients that are safe for your eyes. You just need one coat and you are covered for the whole day.
- Long lasting formula
- Needs one coat
- May smudge
- Messy when applying
10. Simply Naked Beauty 3D Fiber Lash MascaraBest Fiber Formula Mascara
Made of 3D fiber formula, you can count on this mascara to give you instant volume that will boost the growth of your lashes. Better yet, the mascara comes with Lash Science Gold which is a lash enhancing mascara base that gives you more volume and thickness. It’s also made of hypoallergenic and non-toxic materials that are eye friendly.
- Made of proprietary gel formula
- Comes with mascara base
- Promotes growth of lashes
- Takes long to dry
- Not for lengthening
11. Ecco Bella Natural Black MascaraBest Natural Mascara
This Flowercolour Natural Mascara will provide you with a full lash fringe that is great for vegans since its gluten free and paraben free. You also don’t have to worry about strong smells since it doesn’t have any fragrance. You will also get a free mirror with each tube to help you easily apply the makeup.
- Gluten and paraben free
- No smell
- Comes with a mirror
- Not waterproof
- Not for lengthening
- May make eyes water
12. Maybelline The Falsies MascaraBest Washable Mascara
For a glam look, The Falsies Mascara from Maybelline is a great pick that will give you thicker and fuller lashes. The special formulated formula ensures instant corner to corner application without leaving out any lash. It comes with a curved brush that will help create lengthy lashes in one application.
- Easy application
- Fuller lashes
- Special formula that’s easily washable
- Not waterproof
- Lots of imitations in the market
- Brush may get clumpy
how to Choose the Best Mascara: The Ultimate Buying Guide
Almost every lady has a makeup routine that they adhere to each day to ensure they look glamorous as they go out to conquer the world. One essential product that doesn’t lack in any lady’s makeup kit is mascara which helps make the eye lashes dramatic by giving them volume and length. The market for beauty products such as mascara is flooded with a lot of different products all looking to let ladies look beautiful and outstanding. To start with, let’s look at the different types of mascara available in the market.
Types of Mascara
- Fiber Mascara – It’s best used by those with short and few lashes to add volume and length. It features a two phase system where there’s a white primer with lengthening fiber and a black finishing cream formula. However, these types of mascara are delicate to apply and remove since the small micro fibers may fall into the eyes and cause irritation.
- Tubing Mascara – Forms tiny cones around each lash which gives the eyes a dramatic effect. As each lash forms a cone, the effect is added thickness and bulky lashes. The best thing is that, unlike the fiber mascara, these types don’t flake and often last all day without need for a retouch.
- Curling Mascara – If you have eye lashes that are straight out, then you need a curl mascara that easily lifts them to add some pomp. The great thing about straight lashes is that you can easily apply mascara without smudging but you need ones in awhile a curling mascara for that show stopping look. They feature special lifting formulas and come with curling brushes for easy application.
- Waterproof Mascara – Are you an athlete or do you often rub your eyes due to irritation? Well, waterproof mascaras are made just for you and are specially engineered with a formula that fights off water, sweat or tears. Since these mascara can be drag to remove, you can first coat the lashes with usual mascara then apply a coat of the waterproof mascara on top.
- Natural Mascara – Just like the name, these ones are made of natural ingredients designed for those with extremely sensitive eyes. You may find that some of the ingredients used are contentious but most manufacturers have worked hard to come with formulas that are free from petroleum and other chemicals that may hurt your eyes.
- Volumizing Mascara – For that oomph on your eyes, you may want to go for a volumizing mascara especially when your eye lashes are thin and sparse. They usually have a thicker and waxier formula and may have a silicone polymer that adds body to your eyelashes.
- Clump-free Mascara – One of the biggest headaches with mascaras is having clumpy eyelashes that don’t looked so good. To fight such a sight, you may opt for mascara that is infused in silk extracts which helps create a feathery feel around your eyes. Such mascara also have specially designed silicone brushes that fight clumping during application.
- Bottom Lash Mascara – Most ladies will admit that applying mascara on the lower lash is usually a challenge. With the bottom lash mascara, the wand is usually extra thin for easy application and a bit long for a less hectic makeup routine.
Factors to Consider When Buying Mascara
There are two key things that you have to keep in mind as you step out to buy that mascara. They are:
- Formula – What goes into making your mascara is a great determinant on whether you will have that dramatic look or you will end up with smudged and irritated eyes. Depending on the sensitivity of your eyes, you may opt for petroleum products that have a lasting effect or natural products that are specially designed for those with allergies. If your lashes are thin and sparse, you need a mascara with volumizing formula.
- Brush/Wand – Most mascaras come with an application brush that is essential for a hustle free experience. Curling mascaras often have curved brushes that will lift your lashes to create a curl while those designed to lengthen your lashes are usually straight and narrow.
There’s no reason why your eyes should look plain and boring when there’s so many types of mascara to suit all eye lashes. Add some oomph to them and see the effect it will have to those around you. Hopefully, this review has shed some insight on the best mascara available in the market that will give you that show stopping look.