Once you are back from the sea, you will need to securely rest your vessel at the dock in a safe and efficient manner. Docking your boat may be for a short while when in transit or permanently until the next time the sea beckons. When docking your vessel, there’s one item that is often overlooked yet it ensures that you have a vessel to return to once you to get back into the water. As a boat owner, you need to invest in a dock line that will hold your vessel in place and prevent it from colliding with other vessels at the dock.
A dock line or commonly called a mooring line ensures that your boat remains where you left it and that it doesn’t bump into other vessels. Often, the boat may sway due to the wind and get scrapes all over. However, when it’s properly secured using a dock line, it will be remain in place and won’t get damages and scratches. When picking a docking line, it’s important to match it to the length of your boat for better efficiency.
When selecting a dock line, you need to pay attention to its construction and overall efficiency in keeping your boat secure. We have compiled a comprehensive review of the best dock lines available in the market that will keep your boat safe and efficiently resting at the mooring. Let’s have a look.
Top 10 Dock Lines of 2019 Reviewed
- Top 10 Dock Lines of 2019 Reviewed
- 1. Airhead AHDL-4 Bungee Dockline
- 2. Seasense Double Braid Nylon Dockline
- 3. Shoreline Marine Double Braided Nylon Dock Line
- 4. DC Cargo Mall 2 Marine-Grade Double-Braided Dock Lines
- 5. Extreme Max 3006.2352 BoatTector Bungee Dock Line
- 6. Predator (NZ) Hi-Performance Dock Lines
- 7. Seachoice Double Braid Nylon Dock Line
- 8. Rainier Supply Co Dock Lines
- 9. Botepon 2Pcs Boat Dock Line
- 10. Regatta Marine Essentials Bungee Dock Line
- Best Dock Lines – Ultimate Buying Guide
1. Airhead AHDL-4 Bungee DocklineBest Bungee Dock Line
Secure your boat or Jet Ski in a quick and efficient manner with this best-selling bungee dock line from Airhead. It’s designed to absorb shock related to boats, cleats and any other hardware. The bungee cord is well hidden inside the rope and acts as a built in snubber that holds your boat firmly in place. To ensure that docking is fast and stress-free, the dock line has a sliding adjustment on both ends.
It comes with two foam floats that protect your vessel from chafing. It has a tensile strength of 2,15o pounds and can support boats with of up to 4,000 pounds. It has a length of 4 feet and can extend up to five and a half feet.
- Absorbs shock
- Can extend to 5 and a 1/2 feet
- Two foam floats for added protection
- Better for fresh water bodies
- Ideal for smaller dock posts
- May wear out fast
2. Seasense Double Braid Nylon DocklineBest Double Braided Dock Line
Let your boat rest safely on the dock with this double braid dockline from Seasense. It’s made of high quality marine grade nylon that’s double braided for added strength. It’s whipped at the splice and at the bitter end. The eye is 10 inches open for a light load. The mooring line has a safe working load of 410 pounds and its tensile strength is 3,900 pounds. It comes in seven sizes and comes in three colors.
- Made of marine grade nylon
- Available in seven sizes
- Double braided
- Can be short
- Not resistant to chafing
- Sheaths are quite flimsy
3. Shoreline Marine Double Braided Nylon Dock LineBest Shock Absorbing Dock Line
Designed to remain firmly in place without rotating or kinking, this double braided shock absorbing dock line from Shoreline Marine is what you need to dock your boat. It has a professional 12 inch eye splice designed for long lasting usage. It’s resistant to rot and mildew making it great for long term docking. It’s made of high quality nylon that and can be stored in a wet or dry place. It’s available in black, blue, white or gold. Comes in 5 sizes
- High quality nylon construction
- 12 inch eye splice
- Resistant to rot and mildew
- Lots of imitations in the market
- Some find it quite short
- The bright colors show stains easily
4. DC Cargo Mall 2 Marine-Grade Double-Braided Dock LinesBest Nylon Dock Line
Designed to hold tight to your boat in rough docks, this double braided dock line form DC Cargo Mall is just what you need to secure our boat. It resistant to chafe, mildew, rot and UV rays. It’s made of high grade nylon that’s soft on your hands and designed to last for long.
The dock line can absorb shock and stretches really well. It’s double-braided where the inner core and the outer sheath are braided for added strength. This reliable tie down will let rest easy knowing that your boat is well taken care of and won’t bump into other vessels at the dock. Its available in black and blue. Comes as a 2 pack in two lengths of 15 or 20 feet.
- Double braided for added strength
- Resistant to UV rays and chafe
- Soft on the hands
- Not ideal for big boats
- Loop is only on one side
- Could be longer
5. Extreme Max 3006.2352 BoatTector Bungee Dock LineBest Double-Looped Dock Line
The Boat Tector bungee dock line ensures that your boat doesn’t jerk or tug when at the dock. It stretches easily to accommodate your boat’s drifting and pulls the boat if it drifts too far. It features a 10 inch loop and slider on both ends for easy attachment between the boat and the dock.
It’s available in three lengths; 4 feet that stretches to 5.5 feet, 5 feet that stretches to 7 feet while the 6 feet dock line stretched to 9 feet. It comes in a value pack of two dock lines and is available in seven colors such black, red, blue, yellow and white.
- Double looped for easy attachment
- Comes in a 2 pack
- Available in three lengths
- Loops are quite small
- Can get smelly
- May not stretch as much
6. Predator (NZ) Hi-Performance Dock LinesBest Value Dock Line
Get a set of these high performance dock lines form a brand that has over sixty years’ experience in the boating industry. The mooring lines are expertly engineered in New Zealand and made using high quality nylon thread. They come as a set of four where each line has a 12 inch eyelet on one end and measures fifteen feet. The docking lines are resistant to oil, sun and rot. They come in a quality box for easy storage when not in use.
- Comes as a set of four
- Quality box for easy storage
- Resistant to oil, sun and rot
- Not for areas with strong winds
- Don’t float
- A bit small
7. Seachoice Double Braid Nylon Dock LineBest Tensile Strength Dock Line
To securely and reliably tie our boat, you can invest in this double braid dock line from Seachoice. It has been pre-shrunk and stabilized at high heat to ensure that it retains its tensile strength for a long time. Its flexible and easy on your hands as you stretch it when docking. Its designed to remain strong when wet and resist abrasions, rot and mildew. It has a stunning 15 inch eye splice that will fit on most cleats.
- Pre-shrunk for higher tensile strength
- 15 inch eye splice
- Strong when wet
- Ends are flimsy
- May be smelly after use
- Color is off
8. Rainier Supply Co Dock LinesBest Professionally Whipped Dock Line
This pair of high quality black mooring lines from Rainier Supply Co. is a must have accessory if you are an ardent boat owner. Its made of high quality nylon that’s double braided for more strength. It comes as a two pack with 15 feet by 3/8 inches or 25 by ½ inch feet dock line that have a 12 inch eyelet at one end.
As part of its superior design, it has reduced stretching ability and increased shock absorption capacity to keep your boat safe. The lines are soft on the hands and on your boat making them comfortable to handle when docking. The lines are also professionally whipped at the throat to increase durability. The recommended load capacity is 420 pounds.
- Increased shock absorption capacity
- Soft on the hands
- Professionally whipped at the ends for durability
- Don’t stretch as much
- Not for large boats
- Too soft for some
9. Botepon 2Pcs Boat Dock LineBest Elastic Boat Dock Line
Dock your boat quickly and easily using this pair of bungee mooring lines form Botepon. They come as a set of two and are highly elastic to accommodate a variety of water vessels. They have an adjustable sleeve that you can use to connect to the cleat in an easy manner. Can accommodate a load capacity of 4,000 pounds with a tensile strength of 2,150 pounds. They are fitted with two floats that prevent them from sinking. Come in 4 feet, 5 feet and 6 feet that stretch to 51/2 feet, 7 feet and 9 feet respectively. Are suitable for use in rough water to prevent the boat from being tossed around.
- Available in 3 sizes that stretch to different lengths
- Adjustable sleeve
- Foam floats to prevent from sinking
- Not ideal for larger boats
- Not great for long term docking
- A bit short
10. Regatta Marine Essentials Bungee Dock LineBest Non-Chaffing Dock Line
Invest in this set of 4 dock lines from Regatta Marine Essentials that come in a convenient bungee rope design. Each of the four mooring lines measures 4.5 feet and can stretch to 6 feet to accommodate your boat. They are weather conditioned with foam protectors to withstand harsh weather elements. The wrapping absorbs water and helps prevent chafing for increased durability.
- Stretch easily
- Wicks water to prevent chafing
- Weather conditioned
- Available in only one size
- Eye splice is quite small
- Elasticity is limited
Best Dock Lines – Ultimate Buying Guide
Courtesy at the dock requires that every vessel owner should not leave their boat unattended since it may pose a risk to other boats and boat owners. Safely and efficiently securing your boat will not only ensure that your remains firmly in place at the dock but also ensures that it doesn’t drift away and get damaged or damage other vessels. With a strong and dependable dock line, you will have a good night’s sleep knowing that your boat is safely tucked away at the dock.
Before digging deeper into dock lines and their features, let’s look at some common terms that will help you understand docking better.
- Fenders – This is a flat piece of foam that cushions your boat and prevents its hull from getting damaged.
- Cleat – This is a T-shaped piece of metal on which lines are secured.
- Bollard – A heavy post at the edge of the pier on which docking lines are tied.
- Eye – A loop at the end or both ends of a docking line made by splicing the thread against each other.
- Bow line – This is what stops your boat’s bow from swaying from side to side or from drifting away when tied alongside a pier.
- Breast lines – This make it easier to pull the boat closer to the pier for easier boarding.
- Spring lines – Two of these are required to prevent the boat from drifting forward.
Things to Look Out For When Buying a Docking Line
Let’s now examine some of the factors that you will need to keep in mind before adding that docking line to your shopping cart. They include:
Materials – Dacron, Polypropylene and Nylon are the three common materials used to make dock lines. Dacron can be spotted on large vessels and comes in fancy colors but doesn’t stretch hence not ideal for a docking line. On the other hand, polypropylene is inexpensive and floats which makes it great for watersports and securing items water skiing equipment. Of the three, nylon is the best option for docking lines for the following reasons;
- Elasticity – Nylon is highly elastic and easily stretches to absorb any sudden strains in the immediate environment. It doesn’t tighten and can hold large loads depending on its tensile strength.
- Strength – When docking your boat, you need a strong line and one made of nylon is a great choice. Since it can be double braided, you can come across a nylon docking line with a tensile strength of 13,500 pounds.
- Resistance – At the dock, the weather elements may vary from time to time and this may affect your boat. Nylon dock lines are often resistant to damage caused by strong sun, winds, rot, mildew and corrosion.
Construction – Another major factor to consider is the construction of the dock line that can be double braided or have three strands. Double braided lines are braided on the inside while the outer jacket is smoothly woven. In terms of abrasion resistance and tensile strength, double braided dock line rank better than the three strand lines. The double braided lines are also easy on the hands and wrap around well on cleats and coils. Three strands nylon dock lines are cheaper and have a better stretch compared to their double braided counterparts.
Size – While picking a dock line, some go for the biggest size thinking that it will work best. However, a larger diameter may take time to tally chafe but it tends to be less elastic. Always refer to the sizing chart of the line’s manufacturer that will provide sufficient elasticity and tensile strength according to you’re the size of your boat.
Length – For more stability, each boat should be secured using two bow lines and two stern lines equal to the length of the boat. It’s also important to get a dock line that adjusts in length where some extend by more than one and half times its original length.
Investing in a dock line will ensure that your boat is firmly in place as it rests at the dock. Once you buy the dock lines, remember to inspect them often for chafing and any form of wear. We hope that this review has provided insight on the best dock lines to provide sufficient security to your boat once it lands.